• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

Sirolf

Xzbeat said:
I'm in France and I went to buy my PAL PS3 this morning at 11:45... I was pretty sure to get out of the store quickly but no... 100-200 people were waiting to buy it...

...OR NOT. :)

Without proof anyone can make shitty anecdotes like yours.
The PS3 is not as popular as the PS2 was and every single online french press is proving it.
Heck, you could even see the flop in direct on MTV France.

Ok smartass with a wii fetichism(your avatar)...
Where do you come from ?Do you live in France?If no just shut up.
It's MY story in MY town ,not in MY ALL COUNTRY.
Geez nintards like you don't honor the name of Nintendo...:lol

LM4sure

Banned
This is definitely not looking good for Sony. Guess we need to wait for official numbers before declaring them DOA though...

Atreides

Karma Kramer said:
Its weird how Spain and France are right next to each other... yet Spain loves Playstation 3 and France hates it.

Whats up with that?

I don't think the spanish launch had been so successfull. Of course, not a disaster neither. Reading some Spanish forums, PS3 is only out of stock in some of the most important stores (where most of people had gathered). It's just anecdotal evidence, but some people in spanish forums said that there are stores with lots of PS3, and that they weren't selling very fast.

Freki

LM4sure said:
This is definitely not looking good for Sony. Guess we need to wait for official numbers before declaring them DOA though...

The problem is that we wont see any realistic numbers - we will only get a Sony press release which states that the PS3 had the most awesome launch in the history of the universe and that they are very confident in the Playstation brand etc. ...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ps3bear.JPG

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Freki said:
the most awesome lunch in the history of the universe
Now I'm even MORE hungry than I was.

LM4sure

Banned
Freki said:
The problem is that we wont see any realistic numbers - we will only get a Sony press release which states that the PS3 had the most awesome lunch in the history of the universe and that they are very confident in the Playstation brand etc. ...

:lol

There's nothing like the NPD group over there????

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Interesting statement from U.K analyst:

"The first signs from retailers are cause for some concern.

"While Sony has set expectations for 1 million units at launch, we believe the amount will be in the 500,000- to 700,000-unit range across all of Europe. We think the shortfall is related more to demand than supply," said analyst Todd Greenwald at brokerage Nollenberger Capital Partners."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/23/new...on.europe.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest

Xzbeat

Sirolf said:
I do live in france... et je parle très bien français merci.
And it was MY
fake
story in MY town. :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The problem is that we wont see any realistic numbers - we will only get a Sony press release which states that the PS3 had the most awesome lunch in the history of the universe and that they are very confident in the Playstation brand etc. ...

this post reminds me that i 'ate the ps3

FrankT

schuelma said:

"While Sony has set expectations for 1 million units at launch, we believe the amount will be in the 500,000- to 700,000-unit range across all of Europe. We think the shortfall is related more to demand than supply," said analyst Todd Greenwald at brokerage Nollenberger Capital Partners."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/23/new...on.europe.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest

Well, who would of thought that, comedy gold.

Carlisle

All this time I've been saying (as well as most others) that PS3's main problem is price, but I'm not so sure a price drop would help anymore. Didn't Japan get a price drop just prior to launch? It's only like $450-ish over there and iirc, it's not even selling as well there as it is in the US.

I need to discover a new formula for success for Sony... but my degree is in economics, so if it's not price, I can't think anymore. :(

shpankey

not an idiot
sonarrat said:
'En' has to replace a 'de' IIRC. It's been 5 years since I studied French but I'm still pretty sure 'on ne veut pas' would be better.

:lol Perfect.
wouldn't it be "On n'en veut pas?"

en in this case means "of it" [can also mean from it]. so it would translate literally to "one of it wants not".

you could also say "nous n'en voulons pas" or "je n'en veux pas" meaning we or i "of it want not".

at least that's what i've been taught so far (still just in French IV in college though).

schuelma said:

1 million units sold and now they're expecting 700,000 sold at launch? Or distributed to Europe?

gkryhewy

To date, 1.1 million PS3s have been sold in the United States versus 2.2 million Xbox 360s and 1.9 million Wiis, of which Nintendo could not make enough, he estimates.

That's from the same CNN article. 360 LTD in the US is higher than 2.2m, isn't it?

LM4sure

Banned
Danj said:
There is, but no numbers are ever released, all we get are chart positions.

Well if that's the case, I guess we can go ahead and proclaim them DOA. We have no real evidence, but the visuals strongly lean toward that position.

Sirolf

Xzbeat said:
I do live in france... et je parle très bien français merci.
And it was MY
fake
story in MY town. :)

Bon on remet les pendules à zéro,soyons diplomates :D
Ok then :)

snoopers

I am multitalented
Doomgaze-MWFR said:
"EN VEUX PAS" or "VEUX PAS" is more like what a kid would say if this can help :)

"NE VEUX PAS" would be perfect.

Et hop, j'en profite pour poster en français sur GAF parce que merde, c'est quand même pas tous les jours.

NinSoX

Banned
That CNN number might be referring to the launch date of PS3. The 360 sold 2.2 million from mid November 2006 until now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Zilch said:
Jeez, does midnight console release madness only happen in the fall/autumn?

People seem downright ambivalent about this one.

1200$ NZD
1000$ AUD

dudes from down south are quite quite averse to a finger in the bottom.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sirolf said:

You missed your chance. If you had managed to obtain photographical evidence of 40-50 people lined up in a queue, in a non-launch party area in FRANCE, you would've been hailed as a savior by Sony fans here. As is, you're just another poster with a possibly fabricated launch story.

It goes both ways. If sonycowboy is going to chalk it up to fanboys throwing pics up on a wall to spread negative publicity (nevermind the actual news stories), then we can also assume that some Sony fans are exagerating their launch tales.

kammy

Banned
3rdman said:
I'm sorry but you aren't seeing the bigger picture...it doesn't matter how many it sells this weekend, but how many it will sell next month. It ha launched to a lukewarm reception at most locations and absolutely horrifically bad in France. Regardless of how many it sells, it is only selling to the hardcore and the rich...once this launch period passes, sales will fall in line to last just as it has in US and Japan.

I'm loving all the wii60 fanboys spinning this launch as a failure.

lolz

Sirolf

VanMardigan said:
You missed your chance. If you had managed to obtain photographical evidence of 40-50 people lined up in a queue, in a non-launch party area in FRANCE, you would've been hailed as a savior by Sony fans here. As is, you're just another poster with a possibly fabricated launch story.

It goes both ways. If sonycowboy is going to chalk it up to fanboys throwing pics up on a wall to spread negative publicity (nevermind the actual news stories), then we can also assume that some Sony fans are exagerating their launch tales.

Well my phone was recharging at that time so no pics :(
i don't expect someone to believe me like that but i have seen what i have seen :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

NinSoX

Banned
Sirolf said:
What ?A positive news ??
http://www.playfrance.com/news-communique-micromania-vend-sa-10-000eme-playstation-3.html

The largest videogame chain here in France has announced 15000 PS3 sold TODAY and expect to sell the same or more tomorrow.
The article is also citing hundred of persons at the midnight launch in moderate to important towns.
Quick quick spin this !!

I bet these people are expecting to sell them for 10x the price to important and richer citizens of France like Parisians :p

kammy

Banned
Juice said:
I think you're onto something. The PS3 is definitely well on its way to being every bit as successful as the GameCube.

I think the GC holds the UK sales record...maybe even the euro record for launch sales. You could walk in and buy it on launch day.

3rdman

Sirolf said:
What ?A positive news ??
http://www.playfrance.com/news-communique-micromania-vend-sa-10-000eme-playstation-3.html

The largest videogame chain here in France has announced 15000 PS3 sold TODAY and expect to sell the same or more tomorrow.
The article is also citing hundred of persons at the midnight launch in moderate to important towns.
Quick quick spin this !!
According to babelfish, it says that the entire chain sold 10,000 pre-oders which people have been collecting all day and they have approx. 15,000 consoles left for the weekend for walk-ins. Much better news...

Ajioss

snoopers said:
"NE VEUX PAS" would be perfect.

Et hop, j'en profite pour poster en français sur GAF parce que merde, c'est quand même pas tous les jours.

Ouais t'as raison Yeah french Powaaaa lol

TheJollyCorner said:
Hey d00ds... what did I miss?

Ahh, you missed it, Jolly! In response to the EU launch, SE announced remakes for FFVII AND FFVIII for the PS3. Then Konami came out to one up them and announced SH5, 6 and 7! Then a drunk irish man caught himself some wild beavers.
:*(

Top Bottom