• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Owners Facing Wide-Spread Problems Downloading Games Ahead of PS Store Closure

Vae_Victis

Banned
THIS. PS3 is a 15yo console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a looong time ago.
But that's just true, most people have moved away from the a PS3 a long time ago, if it wasn't for the store closure news no one would bother with going back to PS3.

Over the past 5 years, half the games I played for the first time in my life were released 10+ years ago. Most on PC, but you can bet a lot more would have been on a PlayStation if more overall were available on the various modern stores.

There are tens of thousands of video games released in the PS1, PS2 and PS3 era, even if you were around back them (and a lot of gamers weren't) it doesn't mean you "already played all of them". There is a lot of stuff you might not have known about, or took a liking to more recently, or you simply never got around to playing and then forgot about it.

This is such a dumb take on the removal of thousands of games from sale, some of which were never made available anywhere else or were basically impossible to buy legitimately unless you wanted to pay ridiculous prices. Imagine all movies released before 1970 being removed form sale and streaming everywhere, and you going around saying "Well they're old, if you wanted to watch them you would have by now anyway." Entertainment and media don't need an expiration date.

tillbot8

Banned
Sony if this this doesnt tell you to get the finger out, assemble a big team and have them focus on full blown emulation refinement for all of your previous console games and integrate them into your PS store your mad. Get your legal team working around the clock on any and all licencing issues and get it done. 2.99 for PS1 games, 5 for PS2 games, and 5-10 bucks on PS3 games, you would get additional 100s from me alone!

OrionNebula

All the games I ever wanted, I have on disc. Never go full digital.
Guess you’re lucky.
A lot of games I’m interested in never made it physically

On the topic, I just bought and downloaded Papo & Yo. Since I took out the 2-steps verification process on my ps5, and re-setted my password all around, my only issue is how freaking slow downloading a game is. I got spoiled by those ps5 speeds. Downloaded Hitman Absolution yesterday, and those 17 gigs took all day 😳

xrnzaaas

Sony clearly doesn't give a fuck about their customers, because anybody could've predicted that announcing store closures for THREE platforms would result in heavy traffic increase. If I had a PS3 or a Vita I'd do the same. Some games are impossible or next to impossible to get in retail form and their prices will skyrocket.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Sony clearly doesn't give a fuck about their customers, because anybody could've predicted that announcing store closures for THREE platforms would result in heavy traffic increase. If I had a PS3 or a Vita I'd do the same. Some games are impossible or next to impossible to get in retail form and their prices will skyrocket.
Dam right, I purchased my copy of Motostorm Pacific Rift last week, Amazon only had 3 copies left....I originally had it years ago...but thought it warrants a re-purchase

Thanati

So, people were complaining that streaming services could take away their games and yet this seems to be happening even if you own the console.

enjoyed my time with ps3.

personally I dont feel the need to horde it or its games though.

its not like the ps3 was the NES/SNES/GEN/PS1/SATURN/etc. its a console from the age of modern gaming. ie. digital content, patches. remakes. remasters.

I mean it's not like this is a cost saving strategy the PS3 servers were fucking dog shit anyways, So many memes about games taking an age to download. LOL

People still gonna want to buy old games. All Sony need to do is just keep hosting their shit servers for the store :|

ACESHIGH

Banned
I am planning to try it. but not sure my PC is good enough to emulate them smoothly. It's legit depressing turning on a PS3 lol
also I don't have a BluRay drive in my PC... so I need to get those games onto it in another way, maybe install PS3Hen on the PS3 and rip them?... I'll look into options wink wink lol

Maybe this is useful: I have an fx 6300 with a mild overclock which is a pretty terrible CPU for emulation.

To my surprise the CPU can play several 2D games at full speed such as

Odin sphere
Dragons crown
Resogun
Persona 4 arena
Hard corps uprising
Virtua fighter 5
SF2 HD remix

And even demon's souls if you tolerate some sound stuttering here and there. Performance should be much better with practically any non FX desktop CPU released in the past 8 years.

You only need to deal with some shader cache stuttering but just the first time you do certain actions in-game.

The emulator is updated on a daily basis and progressing at quite the fast pace.

alienator

This is exactly why i softmod pretty much all my consoles at the end of their life... And i own 85% of my ps3 games on disc, digital purchases are like russian roulette, when licences get in trouble (or publishers too lazy or simply dont give a f) they just remove it. Hello after burner climax.. outrun online, marvel vs capcom.. just 3 games on top of my head u cannot *buy* anywhere on this planet on ps3 or 360 because of the digital revolution.

Paasei

Guess you’re lucky.
A lot of games I’m interested in never made it physically

On the topic, I just bought and downloaded Papo & Yo. Since I took out the 2-steps verification process on my ps5, and re-setted my password all around, my only issue is how freaking slow downloading a game is. I got spoiled by those ps5 speeds. Downloaded Hitman Absolution yesterday, and those 17 gigs took all day 😳
That sucks. I have only have consoles for the exclusives. Of course the same shit can happen to my Steam and GoG library. But it's easier to get more storage on a PC than a console, should I ever have certain games permanently installed.

fart town usa

Gold Member
All I need is Demon's Souls. I spent thousands during the PS3 generation. Can't really think of anything I would need that I don't already have. Maybe a few PSX/PS2 classics too.

Outrunner

This is the problem with people like you and the 33 people that were foolish enough to agree, the Sony fanboy virus is real.
This is the problem with people like you, who think that writing 'this is the problem with' adds content to their posts with zero content.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
But that's just true, most people have moved away from the a PS3 a long time ago, if it wasn't for the store closure news no one would bother with going back to PS3.
Are you Jim Ryan? You're talking under the notion that no one will ever go back to the PS3 as a nostalgia system, like they would an NES, Genesis, N64, or PS2...that no one would ever keep one in a closet and pull it out when friends come over. That is false. The generation of people that are turning into their 20s right now are proving that the PS3/360 gen is just as valuable to go back to as the ones before it. Also on top of that you have to count those who have been buying their first ps3 in the past few years in order to play the older titles of series like Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, and God of War which have multiple entries stuck on PS3 with no news or word of them being remastered at all.

So yes, your take is not a good one. I'm sorry I don't agree with PS3 being considered unimportant and tossed aside like the Lynx and Ouya.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
To see what the Nerds are worrying about today
AridCriminalHound-size_restricted.gif

I've bought quite a bit over the past week and I've only had ONE issue. 95% of the time the store won't let me add R&C into the nexus to my cart and when it does I get an error message when I try to purchase it. Other than that, no issues buying and downloading games.

xrnzaaas

I mean it's not like this is a cost saving strategy the PS3 servers were fucking dog shit anyways, So many memes about games taking an age to download. LOL

People still gonna want to buy old games. All Sony need to do is just keep hosting their shit servers for the store :|
The fact that people are experiencing download issues clearly means they've already been limiting their spendings on the servers. It's like they don't care about old customers and old purchases, you're supposed to buy a PS5 and PS5 games to be a valuable customer for them right now. For me this is a big wake up call to keep supporting retail releases.

poodaddy

Legit question here that isn't necessarily related to this thread, but it kinda is from a tertiary perspective. Is there a short list of games that will essentially be lost after these stores shut down? I have all platforms, including PC, so essentially I'm saying what games are exclusive to PS3 that will be lost when these stores shut down, and don't have a remaster coming soon or something of that nature, games that will truly be lost.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Discs only have a shelf life of max 10 years tho on avarage, right?
Disks are made of plastic and metal, they can last decades or centuries if stored properly. The days of disc rot are pretty much gone.

SegaShack

Once bought you can download them anytime from your library. The store closing just stops you from purchasing more.
Umm you do realize this wont be up forever right. How long until you cant redownload your titles and you're out hundreds of dollars if your system breaks?

Ev1L AuRoN

Honestly this is unacceptable, losing access to all our purchases unilaterally. Really regretting spending so much money on PS digital games. I think Ill stick with PC and steam for now on, I had all Sony consoles thus far but PS5 maybe be the one I'll pass, I spent so much on my PSP, PS3 and Vita collections and now bye its gone. Fu$#% them. It is a question of time to lose my PS4 collection as well. (perhaps not because of the BC but I don't trust them at this point).
I tried to download some games for my Vita before it's too late and guess what, its slow and painful and don't even worth it. I gave up.

SegaShack

Should be allowed to do that without having to install that though
I also wanted to add that I have a PS3 slim. While I cant play the PS2 discs directly, I can put the PS2 discs in my console and directly convert the game to an ISO, and then play the games ISO using Sony's internal Ps2 emulator.

Sony had a software PS2 emulator for the slims but never got it working from discs. When they realized they could resell PS2 games they stopped working on disc support emulator and kept it as harddrive based only.

DrAspirino

Banned
Disks are made of plastic and metal, they can last decades or centuries if stored properly. The days of disc rot are pretty much gone.
Decades? Sure. Centuries? Not a chance.

However, if we take VideoGames as an art form, they should be on many medium going forward. For example, I love jazz and most of the original recordings from Louis Armstrong are on 45 rpm records. Do I carry a 45 rpm record player on my job or on the street to listen to those masterpieces? Nope. Do I even have a 45 rpm record player at home? Not at all.

If we're purists, those recordings would've been lost forever, so screw the people that say that PS1, PS2, and PS3 games should only be played on those consoles.

Last edited:

Keihart

enjoyed my time with ps3.

personally I dont feel the need to horde it or its games though.

its not like the ps3 was the NES/SNES/GEN/PS1/SATURN/etc. its a console from the age of modern gaming. ie. digital content, patches. remakes. remasters.
There is a bunch of "classics" from the PS3 era, it is no different in that regard to the past ones. And a bunch of them will go out of circulation once the store closes unless you can get your hands on a "ROM" and emulate them.

Zog

Banned
For the love of god people. Stop buying digital games!! That's the moral of this story. We are all finding out just how much control game companies have over digital games. Its too much control.
They will bitch about digital games WHILE they are downloading their next $70 digital game.

Zog

Banned
THIS. PS3 is a 15yo console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a looong time ago.
Yeah!

The NES is a 35 year old console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a long time ago.
The SNES is a 30 year old console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a long time ago.
The PS1 is a 25 year old console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a long time ago.
The N64 is a 24 year old console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a long time ago.
The PS2 is a 20 year old console, whoever really wanted to play games on it already did a long time ago.

...and on and on and on....

ZywyPL

Banned
This is a misleading statement.

Yes "most" people in the world who play videogames dont care about PS3, in that if you consider all the people who play videogames on a console in the world. But this is an enthusiast gaming forum so a lot of us here do. I still have a stack of PS3 games to play (physical thank god) including Demons Souls. I just beat 3D Game Dot Heros a couple years ago as well.

I know, but here's the thing - even I was thinking about buying the PS3 again to replay some of my favorite titles of that era after I read the store closure news, but after a deep second thought I asked myself - for what? I'd buy all the games again just because of some sort of a panic mode that I won't be able to play those games ever again, and then actually spend little to no time with them. And I can only guess many people here who haven't touched certain titles for years/decades are now so eager to finally play them only because Sony has put an expiration date, otherwise the games would still remain untouched for another years/decades.

And BTW, with the exact same logic we could as well start blaming Sony for not producing PS3 consoles anymore, because there are still many people out there who have never played it, but the harsh reality is, if someone is that LTTP he can blame no one but himself. For you, me and others here it's a hobby, but from Sony's perspective it's all just a business, if the numbers don't add up and it doesn't bring money anymore it's time to cut it down.

But bottom line is, there's still a whole ocean of used copies flying around on the second hand market, for literally 3-5$, so the PS3 store closure doesn't mean much in the greater picture, whoever will truly want to play the old PS3 titles will do it regardless.

This is such a dumb take on the removal of thousands of games from sale, some of which were never made available anywhere else or were basically impossible to buy legitimately unless you wanted to pay ridiculous prices. Imagine all movies released before 1970 being removed form sale and streaming everywhere, and you going around saying "Well they're old, if you wanted to watch them you would have by now anyway." Entertainment and media don't need an expiration date.

Yeah but you know, Sony is the one here with precise data, how much traffic is still there on PS3, how many hours people still spend there, and most importantly how much money they are still spending there, and obviously it simply wasn't a case worth fighting for anymore for them. And this is not the firs time such situation happens, games disappear from the stores every now and then, like DriveClub for example, so as always, people will moan for a week or so and move along.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean this is only temporary since people are downloading.
But You will still be able to download all your owned games forever I guess Just not buy new ones

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I know, but here's the thing - even I was thinking about buying the PS3 again to replay some of my favorite titles of that era after I read the store closure news, but after a deep second thought I asked myself - for what? I'd buy all the games again just because of some sort of a panic mode that I won't be able to play those games ever again, and then actually spend little to no time with them. And I can only guess many people here who haven't touched certain titles for years/decades are now so eager to finally play them only because Sony has put an expiration date, otherwise the games would still remain untouched for another years/decades.

And BTW, with the exact same logic we could as well start blaming Sony for not producing PS3 consoles anymore, because there are still many people out there who have never played it, but the harsh reality is, if someone is that LTTP he can blame no one but himself. For you, me and others here it's a hobby, but from Sony's perspective it's all just a business, if the numbers don't add up and it doesn't bring money anymore it's time to cut it down.

But bottom line is, there's still a whole ocean of used copies flying around on the second hand market, for literally 3-5$, so the PS3 store closure doesn't mean much in the greater picture, whoever will truly want to play the old PS3 titles will do it regardless.

Yeah but you know, Sony is the one here with precise data, how much traffic is still there on PS3, how many hours people still spend there, and most importantly how much money they are still spending there, and obviously it simply wasn't a case worth fighting for anymore for them. And this is not the firs time such situation happens, games disappear from the stores every now and then, like DriveClub for example, so as always, people will moan for a week or so and move along.

These are all great points. I understand completely this is a business decision. Unfortunately intangible factors are often ignored or downplayed when making such decisions, even when those intangible factors could lead to tangible profits.

In this case Sony shutting down the store and/or not at least figuring out how to offer these games digitally to PS5 users, could lead people to not buy digital games from Sony in the future, or at least to be more wary.

DelireMan7

Any words on PSone classics transfer to PS4/PS5 ? (Sill amazed that it's not the case already !!)
Those are the only one I would buy digital.

Might be the time to finally get Vagrant Story !

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These are all great points. I understand completely this is a business decision. Unfortunately intangible factors are often ignored or downplayed when making such decisions, even when those intangible factors could lead to tangible profits.

In this case Sony shutting down the store and/or not at least figuring out how to offer these games digitally to PS5 users, could lead people to not buy digital games from Sony in the future, or at least to be more wary.
Totally.

In a perfect world, every company would only sell profitable products which have insanely low costs. Wont happen.

Every company I've worked at has it's share of crappy sellers and crappy profits. Some companies are eager to trim the fat, some aren't. And the ones that aren't is due to the belief sometimes you got to keep something around for strategic reasons because it benefits other parts of the business long term and gives off a good image.

We kept a product going even when it bottomed to like $250,000 at work. We make almost no money on it. So small, nobody looks at it ever in all the years I've been here and it's only sold in a couple chains. Every 2-3 years the marketing manager wants to gas it. And we did one time. But when the account manager gives feedback, the stores say they got pissed customers. So it got reintroduced back. All for a sku that is probably among the worst selling items we have. We still have it.

If Activision can keep up Call of Duty 2 servers running on 360 now (as confirmed by people on reddit over the years if you google it, where one guy said he found a match with only one other person in it), I'm sure a digital marketplace can hold up as there's still sales and the company is at record profits.

Someone said the legacy store is old and a security risk, so got to bail ship. OK, if it's that lousy of a storefront, then just relist the games on the new storefronts which should be better. I think it was Agent X who even said a few years ago they even had all the systems listed on the modern UI, but then got rid of the old games. So they were even there at some point.

Top Bottom