• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Players Won’t Be Able to Message PS4 or PS Vita Players From June 30th

Shin

Banned
The end of the road looks in sight for the ageing PS3 as Sony has posted an update on its Japanese site explaining that the PS3 will be losing some functions this summer, namely, the ability for PS3 players to communicate with PS4 and PS Vita players.

From June 30th, 2020, PS3 systems will not be able to send messages to other platforms, and other platforms won’t be able to send messages to PS3, and the display of alerts between PS3 on PS4 and PlayStation Messages App.

In other words, if you’re still rocking the PS3 as your primary gaming system, you won’t be able to message your mates who play on PS4 and PS Vita. It’s a shame, but it’s inevitable that the PS3 will soon start winding down its services, and Sony will soon start to end support for the console.

The PS3 released back in 2006, so it’s been available for around 14 years. That’s not bad, and I don’t think anyone could be sour with Sony pulling the plug anytime soon. Well, so long as game downloads stay intact, that is.

Credit: PurePlayStation
Source: PlayStation Japan

CJY

Banned
but why? what makes them incompatible? messages shouldn't be some thing the PS3 is unable to support, like what kind of new updates are they pushing for the messaging on PS4 and Vita that would make it impossible for PS3s to display or receive them?
I imagine some of the changes they wish to make moving forward with the PS5 would render the PS3 incompatible without either limiting what they hope to do on PS5 or deemed not worthy of time and money to continue to support.

Also, they probably just looked at the figures of how many people are cross-communicating on those platforms and found it's too small to continue supporting as well.

End of era, but tech moves on sadly.

ethomaz

Banned
but why? what makes them incompatible? messages shouldn't be some thing the PS3 is unable to support, like what kind of new updates are they pushing for the messaging on PS4 and Vita that would make it impossible for PS3s to display or receive them?
Probably some changes in the message system will be made for PS5... core changes.
And they won’t waste money to change a 13 years old console to support the new message system.

We are moving to a new generation and we can’t be held back by old systems.

Last edited:
Probably some changes in the message system will be made for PS5... core changes.
And they won’t waste money to change a 13 years old console to support the new message system.

We are moving to a new generation and we can’t be held back by old systems.

You aren't held back if you do it right.

XSX is going to run 360 games with massively enhanced resolutions and IQ, and the games will still be playable online, and these will be playable across generations.

That's how it is if you know what you're doing.

In terms of making games and systems last, Sony are fucking terrible.

MurfHey

I worry that they will end up closing down access to the PS Store on PS3 in the future. I have soooo many games, not only games that I purchased but also many from the years and years of having PS+.

Don't do it Sony I beg you. Does anyone know what the max size hdd a ps3 takes, I can google it but I figured I would ask.

Banned
The 360 is still killing it in terms of connectivity, communication, and games you can still play online.

Sony are fantastic in lots of ways, but in terms of support and longevity they are fucking terrible.

I was surprised to hear that they even integrated the activity feed they introduced with the Xbox One into the 360, so you can see video clips and screenshots your friends made on the Xbox One...
to be honest tho, that's pretty out of the ordinary in terms of support, and Microsoft is doing it mainly because of PR reasons. I bet almost noone actually uses this feature and most people wouldn't communicate cross gen on 360 and Xbox One.
I also think that Microsoft has a more flexible system in place, back when they shut down og Xbox servers that was because they gave Xbox Live a major overhaul which the og Xbox would not support and what would make games crash if they kept the servers up. they have a more solid software foundation since the mid 360 generation which is paying off it seems.

also with backwards compatibility they basically have to keep the 360 running at all fronts since the virtual machine running backwards compatibility also runs a stripped down version of the 360's OS in order to keep the games from having issues... as far as the games know they run on a 360, they don't know they run on an Xbox One because of that OS emulation.

Tell me about the late gen games support on 360.

Sony support will always be better than MS.

Late gen games still work on 360 online, are often BC on X1 and now XSX, will be improved next gen, and you can still go online on your X360.

Also, games like Forza Horizon 2 and Tomb Raider were ported down to the 360 even after the X1 came out.

What are you talking about?

If you want your online games to last, this is one area where the otherwise dominant Sony are fucking terrible.

Talk to me about PS3 <-> PS4 comms, or about still even playing Driveclub online (smfh).

ethomaz

Banned
You aren't held back if you do it right.

XSX is going to run 360 games with massively enhanced resolutions and IQ, and the games will still be playable online, and these will be playable across generations.

That's how it is if you know what you're doing.

In terms of making games and systems last, Sony are fucking terrible.
Late gen games still work on 360 online, are often BC on X1 and now XSX, will be improved next gen, and you can still go online on your X360.

Also, games like Forza Horizon 2 and Tomb Raider were ported down to the 360 even after the X1 came out.

What are you talking about?

If you want your online games to last, this is one area where the otherwise dominant Sony are fucking terrible.

Talk to me about PS3 <-> PS4 comms, or about still even playing Driveclub online (smfh).
You guys are crazy.
MS support was non existent after 2012 and now the same happened with Xbox One.

And you guys still try to discuss support?

PS3 was supported after PS4 launch.
PS4 is being supported right now.
Sony even with their flaws are years ahead any type of support to their platform MS brainwash in their fans.

MS just stop to give a shit to their platform mid to late gen.

Last edited:
The 360 is still killing it in terms of connectivity, communication, and games you can still play online.

Sony are fantastic in lots of ways, but in terms of support and longevity they are fucking terrible.
The current narrative is starting to change even reality.
Sony consoles had at least 10 years of support, they had an incredible longevity, that's basically one of the big pros in owning a sony home console.
This is the most ingenerous post I've ever read on gaf.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You guys are crazy.

Sony even with their flaws are years ahead any type of support to their platform MS brainwash in their fans.

I don't think we are discusing anything about what games came out on the console, but which games can be played on which platform and in this regard Sony was nothing short of being absolutely terrible. You can still play probably everything on XBL which came out on X360, that's really not the case with Sony.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Sucks considering you still gotta keep your PS3 around to play those games.

But I still haven't played Black Ops 2 yet! :(

Hey buddy it’s backwards compatible on the Xbox One and by default on the Series X.

H4LfjlR.gif

You guys are crazy.

Please tell me about the Uncharted 2 and 3 servers that will be online for PS5 users with 9X upscaling and HDR.

Oh no, wait, those servers are already in the bin. And the physical offline games won't even run on PS5.

Oh ... oh .... late generation support. Late generation support right? How about Gran Turismo 6?

Came out in 2013. Servers terminated a couple of years back.

The denial in this post is around the same level as still not accepting GitHub was real.

The current narrative is starting to change even reality.
Sony consoles had at least 10 years of support, they had an incredible longevity, that's basically one of the big pros in owning a sony home console.
This is the most ingenerous post I've ever read on gaf.

How's GT6 working out for you online?

How cool is it that you can still play GT6 online with your PS4 buddies and message them in real time for the foreseable future eh?

Oh no. Well, never mind, at least you can still play Driveclub online with your fellow PS4 gamers...

--------------------

ethomaz

Banned
Really you guys needs to stay on Xbox.
Let we more ahead with game support drooping frequently.

What hold PS fans on PlayStation is support where Sony is really outstanding.

But the narrative lol

Go play Burning Edge I don’t know.

Last edited:

There are still launch 360 games from 2005 that are still functional online. Meanwhile Sony turned off their online servers for Gran Turismo 6 (a title from one of their premier IP's) after 52 months.

Saying they're fucking terrible would be an understatement lol.

Ten_Fold

Can they at LEAST let me download my psn games from ps3 on the ps5? I ain't tryn to be that guy but umm Microsoft is cool with letting me have access to my old games.

JSoup

Banned
It's been suggested this is less of a winding down of old services so much as them finally fixing a old problem that is annoying for them and players. If you get a message on the PSN, it's marked as 'new' on all your system individually. So say you've exchanged 5 messages over the PS4. You delete them and they are gone from both your system and host server, right? If you have a Vita and/or PS3 connected to your account, no. All messages younger than 30 days will be stored for both system and will be downloaded to them next time you log in from them.

Now imagine the problem when you have millions of players exchanging 200+ messages a day. That's a lot of data to just keep around for no good reason. This will solve that problem, admittedly in the most annoying way possible, but what are you gonna do?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Windows XP was only supported for 20 years, should have been 50, microsoft is the worst.

Bring back Windows 3.1

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

As long as I can keep using my ps3 as a media/streaming machine, I don't care.
One thing they could do is remove the psn login requirement from streaming apps (Netflix, Prime, etc), ps4 doesn't have that requirement.

ethomaz

Banned
You were probably drunk as it seems.
Nope.

Strongest point of PlayStation platform and what hold consumers tied to them are the great support to the machines even after they start a new generation.

MS basically stop to support their platform a year or two before the end of the generation... that was one of the reasons MS lose a lot of consumers from 360 to XB1.

And that strong support is happening again with PS4 while XB1 continue lacking in support.

But hey everybody keep saying that Phil talk talk is finally building a strong first-party studio line up that will only delivery next-gen lol

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nope.

Strongest point of PlayStation platform and what hold consumers tied to them are the great support to the machines even after they start a new generation.

MS basically stop to support their platform a year or two before the end of the generation.
Well in that case, this is what was Sony cheered for in "that they believe in generation". But this fucking thread is not about this, but rather how long is services on console supported, which is where Sony sucks? remeber how they forced people from GT5 to GT6? Due to closure of servers?

emmerrei

It's not like is going to change something, from the release of the PS4, from the PS3 you can't see if someone is online with the PS4.
Before the console die, they can atleast release one last update, and unlock back some feature, like the full software ps2 emulator on every ps3, and why not, otheros. They've nothing to lose at this point. ANd it's a good marketing move.

Last edited:
So, you’re on your PS3. Pull your phone out your pocket, message your PS4 friends from the PS Messenger App.

Probably quicker than doing it from the PS3 anyway.

Please tell me about the Uncharted 2 and 3 servers that will be online for PS5 users with 9X upscaling and HDR.

Oh no, wait, those servers are already in the bin. And the physical offline games won't even run on PS5.

Oh ... oh .... late generation support. Late generation support right? How about Gran Turismo 6?

Came out in 2013. Servers terminated a couple of years back.

The denial in this post is around the same level as still not accepting GitHub was real.

How's GT6 working out for you online?

How cool is it that you can still play GT6 online with your PS4 buddies and message them in real time for the foreseable future eh?

Oh no. Well, never mind, at least you can still play Driveclub online with your fellow PS4 gamers...

--------------------

Games and console are a different type of commitment, how it is possible that you can ignore the difference?
Do you even forgot that the online on ps3 is free? And you also forgot that 360 games on xbox one are basically remasters? And they *don't* run physically? Free, but still remasters?
I don't think you forgot or even you ignore these things, in my opinion judging by these quotes you are just waving a flag.

A lot of first party servers shut down after some years, and consoles are supported with new first party games until the end and sometimes even after. These facts are both true.
Of course I am more happy to have a God of War II in 2007 rather that play old games online after years, but this is an opinion. But facts are facts and I can't see how on the earth the support as a whole is supposed to be terrible.

JLB

Banned
This is why backwards compatibility is such an essential feature.
Ive invested literally thousands of dollars on 360 games. I would hate to lost all those game just because the platform is no longer available.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Wow, how many of the concerned posters are still playing on PS3 and Vita and messaging on them at that?......Didn't know we had so many active PS3 players on GAF...…...I bought a used PS3 slim a year aback, only booted it once so far....

Lone Wolf

Wow, how many of the concerned posters are still playing on PS3 and Vita and messaging on them at that?......Didn't know we had so many active PS3 players on GAF...…...I bought a used PS3 slim a year aback, only booted it once so far....
I still use my Vita. My PS3 broke and I don’t want to buy a used one as it would have to take the place of my current consoles. Would love to continue playing the Resistance games as they are my favorite PS franchise. Meanwhile none of my PS3 games play on my PS4, or PS5 I guess. The majority of my 360 games are playable on my Xbox One. MS has definitely been better with BC and keeping servers alive. I concede about OG Xbox. Wish that was still up.

Got to be a troll post. Dude is claiming Tomb Raider was ported to 360 after Xbox One release and is using FH2 as an example of long running support (or any Forza game for that matter)? Or maybe my old ass eyes misread something.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

I was surprised to see leaderboards still working on Project Gotham Racing 3 about 6 months ago when I last played it, don't know about mp though. Kudos on that to MS.

Messaging between old and 'new' platforms is not that huge of a deal tbh, but something like killing off Driveclub servers (as an example), a current gen game - that is hundred times worse.

njean777

Don't know if this is the right time to do this Sony, we are in a pandemic..... I don't know who is using a PS3 to communicate all the time, but someone may still be doing it. So I wouldn't do this until the pandemic is over.

Tell me about the late gen games support on 360.

Sony support will always be better than MS.
Like actual games FH2, Tomb Raider, Titanfall.
Like servers still being up and running. Like the game you can still play.
Or just like this. You can still use Xbox Live on 360 and message your friends on other platforms.

Sony's support is non existent.
Can't believe people even buy Playstation consoles, when they're useless within a few years after the new comes out.

ethomaz

Banned
Like actual games FH2, Tomb Raider, Titanfall.
Like servers still being up and running. Like the game you can still play.
Or just like this. You can still use Xbox Live on 360 and message your friends on other platforms.

Sony's support is non existent.
Can't believe people even buy Playstation consoles, when they're useless within a few years after the new comes out.
Tell me the support MS give to games before says that.

Sony support is what keep players engaging and loyalty to PlayStation.
Feel great.

Fox Mulder

Both the 360 and ps3 are discontinued and probably only receive only minor support. Getting shutdown or losing online features is only inevitable.

MS killed original Xbox Live for holding back the growth of the service going forward, it’s easy to assume the shittier ps3 PSN may have some of the same issues. Sony didn’t even figure out name changes until last year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It's the right thought process, I view this as helping out the PS5 and eventually the PS5.

Top Bottom