• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Price Drop? Nah, PS3 Price Increase for Canada

Firestorm

Don't know if this will be across all retailers, but Best Buy and Future Shop have increased the price to $699 Canadian. It used to be $659. It might be because the MSRP was set back in May 2006 at E3 and our dollar has dropped since then. $599 US = $706 Canadian.

Then again, did you really expect Sony to INCREASE the price? I mean... this isn't the greatest response to "Hey Sony, I'll buy your system when the price goes down."

FS:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075271&catid=24714

BB:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075271&catid=24376

I haven't seen the 20 GB but it seems those are now $599 according to RedFlagDeals.

Update 1: PSP Entertainment pack is now $299 instead of $279 on Future Shop, Best Buy, and Amazon.ca.

Update 2: As of January 29th, London Drugs and The Source by Circuit City are selling the 60 GB for $699 =/

Update 3: As of February 1st, Toys R Us, Zellers, and Wal-Mart are reportedly selling the 60 GB for $699.

Firestorm

DarienA said:
Why is this being pinned on Sony?

Me am confused.

I'm kinda doubting the largest electronic retailer in Canada went and said "hey guys, let's increase the price by $40" on their own. Especially considering they have a price match policy that says they'll match any competitors price and beat it by 10% of the difference. By increasing the price, they'd be taking public backlash AND probably losing $4 more per sale.

NinSoX

Banned
$700 looks UGLY to the average consumer. We bought one but returned it before the return policy expired, from Futureshop. But I guess we won't be buying one again any time soon.

rkenshin

Well if this was the case based on exchange rates, wouldn't Futureshop up it's prices on the 360 and Wii.. Well any product imported from the States?

koam

rkenshin said:
Well if this was the case based on exchange rates, wouldn't Futureshop up it's prices on the 360 and Wii.. Well any product imported from the States?

Pretty much. Though, they aren't even imported from the states.

Haunted

If the other stores still have it at 659$ I don't see a problem for the consumer. Or are Best Buy and Futureshop the only canadian outlets selling PS3's? I couldn't imagine that.

OverHeat

« generous god »
typo said:
Yeah, I guess I won't be buying a PS3 then. Microsoft, please release that new and improved 360 very soon. PLZKTHXBYE

Buy one now at Ebgames with 1 years warranty and exchange it when the new model will be out.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Firestorm said:
I'm kinda doubting the largest electronic retailer in Canada went and said "hey guys, let's increase the price by $40" on their own. Especially considering they have a price match policy that says they'll match any competitors price and beat it by 10% of the difference. By increasing the price, they'd be taking public backlash AND probably losing $4 more per sale.

Uh but wouldn't they've already purchased their units from Sony at this point? Sony wouldn't be able to force them to raise the price of units they already have.

Me still am confused.

koam

Haunted_One said:
If the other stores still have it at 659$ I don't see a problem for the consumer. Or are Best Buy and Futureshop the only canadian outlets selling PS3's? I don't think so.

Obviously not. All major chains sell PS3s. I'm assuming this is a nation wide price increase since Futureshop and Bestbuy price match and give you 10% of the difference too so it would cost them more money if they leave it at $699 and other stores are still at $659. Either way, PS3 is expensive.

Brak

Store prices are not generally directly tied to the exchange rate. Sony would have to have changed the MSRP.

Case in point: The X360 has been overpriced $50 in Canada for over a year.

Brak said:
Store prices are not generally directly tied to the exchange rate. Sony would have to have changed the MSRP.

Case in point: The X360 has been overpriced $50 in Canada for over a year.

wow. Why would sony do that?

copying MS?

rkenshin

You know, I wouldn't mind this if their stupid coupons actually worked with buying consoles.. ($50 off $500)

Damn they're so restrictive when it comes to that

Master Z

Just called my local EB and Walmart and they're both selling it for $659 CDN, so I wonder what's going on here. Are Futureshop and Best Buy trying to rip people off now?

Seems like Futureshop/BestBuy got a memo from Sony that the other retailers didn't get...

Just abuse their price matching with EBGames or Walmart flyers :D

SickBoy

Wow.

I presume the MSRP has gone up and Future Shop/Best Buy are the first to respond.

Relatively unprecedented in gaming, I think, but if Sony has indeed hiked the price, it really reduces one of their big advantages here in Canada -- the smaller (relatively speaking) gap in price between PS3 and 360. I wonder if the 20GB price will go up too...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Master Z said:
Are Futureshop and Best Buy trying to rip people off now?
Since when have they not? The first PS3 I purchased was at FS, when it went tits-up and I took it back, here's how the convo went:

"My PS3's dead"
"Oh, that's a shame. That's happening a lot. I'll just return it and give you a gift card for store credit instead."
"No, I bought the extended warranty for a reason. So you can give me a new PS3 or my money back, I don't care which."
"Well, I don't know..."
"Do you have any more PS3s in stock?"
"Well, no, but wouldn't you much rather have the store credit? Then you can get a PS3 when we do have them in stock! Or look at one of our 360 bundles."
"...refund, please. Now."
"I'll have to run this past my manager-"
"LOOK I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE RECEIPT. REFUND MY MONEY."

Future Shop can kiss my ass. And no, Mike_Works, she wasn't Asian/East Indian, so keep your gibbering to yourself. :p

Master Z

bishoptl said:
Since when have they not? The first PS3 I purchased was at FS, when it went tits-up and I took it back, here's how the convo went:

"My PS3's dead"
"Oh, that's a shame. That's happening a lot. I'll just return it and give you a gift card for store credit instead."
"No, I bought the extended warranty for a reason. So you can give me a new PS3 or my money back, I don't care which."
"Well, I don't know..."
"Well, no, but wouldn't you much rather have the store credit? Then you can get a PS3 when we do have them in stock! Or look at one of our 360 bundles."
"LOOK I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE RECEIPT. REFUND MY MONEY."

Future Shop can kiss my ass. And no, Mike_Works, she wasn't Asian/East Indian, so keep your gibbering to yourself. :p

Damn. Now I'm really glad I don't shop there.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
bishoptl said:

"My PS3's dead"
"Well, I don't know..."

Oh wow. That's total BS.

Tieno

bishoptl said:

"My PS3's dead"
"Well, I don't know..."

Wow, that's no way to treat thé GAF admin! Do they know you run this forum?

EGM92

Futureshop will rip the customer every chance it gets, the PS3 since it's in high demand here in Canada just gives them a reason to. They don't make enough money on each console sold so they'd take advantage of a fast selling console and make a little extra for themselves. Piss poor business ethics.

Azih

I bet the manager had the employee's kid brother tied up in a back room with the threat of killing him if she refunded PS3s for cash rather than credit.

Are you happy now Bish?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Gotta love this.

lowering the price = gaf says sony doomed.
raising the price = gaf says sony doomed.

either way their screwed. :lol

bad joke i know. ;/

djkimothy

bishoptl said:

"My PS3's dead"
"Well, I don't know..."

LOL, we had a similar problem with FS here in Ottawa. We ordered an LCD 37" HDTV, but they said they were out of stock and had to order it from the warehouse. We said, okay, fine (this went down on the 13th). Over a week later and still no TV. We went to them and they said, since it was a clearance item it would take longer to process (apparently it hadn't even left the warehouse, WTF?!!?). I said, WHAT? Well is it worth my while to cancel the order and just order the thing online. The rep said, yah, probably. So we did, ordered online Sunday the 21 and it arrived on the 24th of Wednesday.

Morons.

Sony pulling a Microsoft tactic in Canada?
or is this Future Shop\Best Buy's doing? (BB owns FS in Canada)

a Toys R Us last week, I saw the 60Gb at the reg CDN price

thank god I bought my PS3 on the week after launch to have avoid a price hike

SickBoy

Bad_Boy said:
Gotta love this.

lowering the price = gaf says sony doomed.
raising the price = gaf says sony doomed.

either way their screwed. :lol

bad joke i know. ;/

But it's true... I don't understand the people who seem to care about price points in that way (keeping them up). I'm sure there are people who are happy the 360 is still at its launch price because it means Microsoft's got balls or something...

IMO, just about every system on the market right now is overpriced (save for the DS and the old-gen stuff). I've paid some of these prices, but it's been grudgingly (I guess I got a bit of a deal on the 360, though, which is good since their price in Canada is, as mentioned earlier, a ripoff).

koam

EGM92 said:
Futureshop will rip the customer every chance it gets, the PS3 since it's in high demand here in Canada just gives them a reason to. They don't make enough money on each console sold so they'd take advantage of a fast selling console and make a little extra for themselves. Piss poor business ethics.

High demand? It's not even sold out on their site.

Tiktaalik

Is this going to effect Canadian Nintendo game prices? When the DS debuted the games were $44.99-$49.99, but since then Canada has had a really strong dollar and Nintendo dropped their prices of newer games to $35.99 (inexplicably, the older games have remained at the same high price). Yesterday I bought Hotel Dusk at Best Buy yesterday and it was $39.99, which is not the standard price for a Nintendo first party title (I think Square was selling FFIII for $39.99).

Have Nintendo games been brought up in price because of the change in the dollar too or was this just because Hotel Dusk is a niche title?

Yeah, I'd peg the demand in Canada as no greater/worse than the United States on the whole. Some areas are totally sold out, some have abundant stock. This is rough, particularly since MS has at least attempted to make up the difference by bundling stuff with the system in Canada. And we'll know soon if it was Sony's call or not, because if it was Sony, the other retailers will soon follow suit. I'd bet the farm it was Sony, because BB/FS aren't in the business of jacking up prices on something with no good reason. No demand doesn't count because if so they'd have jacked up the Wii too.

Deku

Banned
I really wouldn't pin this on Best Buy/FS, granted I don't doubt they would drag their feet on refunds. High demand electronics like PS3 and flat screen TVs drive a lot of traffic to their stores, there's no reason for them to raise the price by $40 unless they have reason to believe the Canadian MSRP is going up and other retailers will follow suit. Otherwise people are just going to bring ads from a competing store and get a price match and their reputation for low prices will be hurt.

This looks to me like Sony trying to save a few bucks by readjusting the price to match the current exchange rate.

Shabaz

Neo Member
typo said:
Yeah, I guess I won't be buying a PS3 then. Microsoft, please release that new and improved 360 very soon. PLZKTHXBYE

Why are you unable to buy a PS3 somewhere eles like EB, Walmart or Toys R Us for the original price, or are you just a troll?

Top Bottom