PS3 Slim (250GB) making jerking noise while reading discs

Its kind of loud.... Has this happened to anyone else?
I just turned it on right now and it is like a chuggings/Jerking noise. This has never really happened before so i want to make sure its ok.

If it's really really loud, your disc drive is about to die.

But if it's just reading discs and making soft sounds, that's pretty normal.

jling84 said:
If it's really really loud, your disc drive is about to die.

But if it's just reading discs and making soft sounds, that's pretty normal.
Fuck me i hope it isnt that! I just bought this one august and i have LBP2 fully preordered :(

yencid said:
I just turned it on right now and it is like a chuggings/Jerking noise. This has never really happened before so i want to make sure its ok.
My Slim, which I bought in September, is loud when initially reading discs.

Shurs said:
My Slim, which I bought in September, is loud when initially reading discs.
Yeah this is what happened to me when it started reading it it got loud and then after a while it just became quiter. Does it always happen on yours or just from time to time?

yencid said:
Normal. My Ps2 is the same way. It doesn't sound natural compared to other disc drives, but that's how it sounds.

yencid said:
Yeah this is what happened to me when it started reading it it got loud and then after a while it just became quiter. Does it always happen on yours or just from time to time?
Always with DVDs, for sure, and always when I turn it on with a disc inside.

It's annoying, though once the initial loud noise ends, it's pretty quiet.

The GPU on my 80GB is about to die :( Out of warranty too.

Anyone know how much roughly gets charged to fix? Or should I just buy a slim?

Also, the backup wont take all my saves across, so I guess it's a case of fuck me right?

Mine sounds like it's getting ready for take off whenever it gets the slightest bit warm. It's to the point where I don't even use it anymore and I don't really feel like buying a new one.

Some DVDs (movies) make a strange loud noise when the PS3 starts to read them (but not while watching the movie etc.), it's not due to a faulty drive in this case.
Though the Slim's drive sounds shit compared to the fat's drive anyway (especially when inserting/ejecting the disc).

silentspork said:
Mine sounds like it's getting ready for take off whenever it gets the slightest bit warm. It's to the point where I don't even use it anymore and I don't really feel like buying a new one.
my fat did that :{