• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

dangrib

MOD ABUSE

This USB stick is confirmed to boot the PS3 into some sort of service/debug mode, and while the package comes with a backup manager, the important thing is that the USB jigkick allows for unsigned code to be launched by retail PS3s.

This means that CFW for PS3 is now a possibility. People can write apps and boot them from this USB stick. Imagine a CFW where all region coding is disabled, one can use their PS3 as a PS2HDloader (if they have a BC unit), play your library of PSP games via PS3 and XBMC on PS3 is possible. It will also be possible to launch linux via this USBstick, and probably even launch old installations on post OtherOS killing firmware.

Ripping games to HDD is actually the least interesting thing about this.

/MOD ABUSE

Original OP:

Looks a little dodgy going by their website but it seems like the PS3 might possibly have been successfully hacked. http://psjailbreak.com/index.php

The only reason I think it may be true is because a well-known modchip installer in Australia is claiming it works and is testing it right now. They posted the video of it this morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqYorUwbG7k&feature=player_embedded

Is this the end?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hacking it to play backups? Like ISO's? Sony better patch up that hole if possible.

And that video didn't do a thing.

androvsky

The usual shady PS3 website I check on when stuff like this pops up isn't talking about it at all. Either they're just slow on the uptake, or it's BS and really old. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just HDLoader for PS2 games on a BC PS3.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's odd how it can't dump bluray movies but it can do games. Considering you have been able to do both for ages now just using linux or the ps3 swiss army knife app. I do bluray iso backups all the time on my PS3.

Playing the games back will be the interesting thing with this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake but time will tell.

-PXG-

tokkun said:
Eh, if it lets me copy my games to my hard drive, I might buy one.

My biggest fear for my precious 60 GB, is my disc drive dying. Being able to backup my games and play them from mass storage would be nice.

The only mod I would ever want is a mod that allows you to play import games. If this ever came out I would lose so much money buying some Gundam PS2 games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MrPliskin said:
lets hope not.
I'm on this side of the teetering fence. Even if this worked, Sony would likely patch in things that would require some kind of authentication. I have to much invested in PSN and friends to do something like this.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rahxephon91 said:
The only mod I would ever want is a mod that allows you to play import games. If this ever came out I would lose so much money buying some Gundam PS2 games.
I'd be finally able to put away my JP PS2 if this ever happened.

Gravijah

Rahxephon91 said:

It shouldn't be that hard to just buy a Japanese PS2?

Bii

-PXG- said:
My biggest fear for my precious 60 GB, is my disc drive dying. Being able to backup my games and play them from mass storage would be nice.

Ditto. Although, I'd probably have to buy an additional hard drive as I'm guessing some of these games can range anywhere from 1-50GB!?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wow... with just 1 USB? This is nuts.

I only want to save my Copyrighted game save files and maybe put it on a new PS3 or something. That would be awesome and make me feel that I won't lose the savefiles if my 60GB PS3 dies.

androvsky

dangrib said:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1515001

here's a local (australian) forum thread on it. these guys are like ten minutes away from my work. someone called bullshit on this thread and they said ''come have a look for yourself''. im thinking this could be legit? ive got a phat with a dead bluray laser that could come in handy to play backups of all the games ive got.

Looks like the same guy on both websites and the video. Not saying it's not legit, but... seems really odd so far. One guy receives an uber-modchip out of the blue even though there's not even the most basic of hacks in the wild yet...

dangrib

yeah fair enough. just saw it on a forum and thought you might know. sorry y'all. ill keep checking the updates from that local modder though

onken

Well on the off-chance that it's not bullshit, it would appear they've cloned/modified the factory repair dongle thingy.

Also, $119 :lol

-PXG-

Bii said:
Ditto. Although, I'd probably have to buy an additional hard drive as I'm guessing some of these games can range anywhere from 1-50GB!?

MGS4 is over 30 GB. I think FFXIII is around the same size too. Those are the only PS3 games that use dual-layer Blu-Ray discs, to my knowledge. I read somewhere God of War III may have been printed on a dual-layer disc too. I could be wrong though.

androvsky

Several sources are currently testing. PS3 games are quite large, so it takes time to install. We will have video as soon as it is confirmed actually working.

Apparently several sources received it in the mail at almost the exact same time? Also, it's been two hours since his first post, so if the thing works, it's really slow (or everyone's installing MGS4).
Well on the off-chance that it's not bullshit, it would appear they've cloned/modified the factory repair dongle thingy.

Yeah, that's the only way this is legit. It'd even explain why it popped out of nowhere, but this whole thing is still pretty shady.

onken

shuri said:
It's going to be patched and then thats it. Also, loading games from usb will be mega slow.

Yeah welcome to the 360 piracy scene. Hacked unit for offline, legit arcade for online games.

Top Bottom