• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 was "a stark moment of hubris" - Shawn Layden.

farmerboy

Nice to hear this from Shawn, not that I needed to hear it.

The PS4 was Sony coming back from a horror run. They would have learned some important lessons.

Imagine a PS5 where they don't need to play it safe. They have the talent, they have the IP. They have money, engaged users and most importantly confidence.

There silence is not them coasting. I think it's confidence. They know what they're doing, they know what they'll bring to market and nothing they've seen so far has spooked them into trying to control the narrative.

I think they're preparing something special and can't wait to see it. And if I'm wrong, well, I'm wrong.

Virex

Banned
Stop with the personal attacks.
I get exclusives, you get to brag about 'power'. We're both happy.
Listen dumbfuck. If you learn how to read you will see I own all the consoles. So I also own all the exclusives and they are great. PC is just a better platform.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Listen dumbfuck. If you learn how to read you will see I own all the consoles. So I also own all the exclusives and they are great. PC is just a better platform.

I own a PC too. Playstation 4 is just a better platform because of all the exclusives. :)

Last edited:

Aren117

I own a PC too. Playstation 4 is just a better platform because of all the exclusives. :)

PC has much more exclusives, due to it being an open platform (but if they are to your liking or not, that is another thing)

It also tends to have the consoles exclusives after a good time.

Heh i can imagine Playstation as Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi: "And I became a legend. For many years, there was balance, and then I saw... Ben. (Playstation 3) My nephew with that mighty Skywalker (Playstation) blood. And in my HUBRIS, I thought I could train him; I could pass on my strengths"

I don't think Playstation 5 will be a Playstation 3 type situation. That situation was one and done. It will be a Cerny designed successor to PS4, but I expect a $499 price. Maybe more.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Heh i can imagine Playstation as Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi: "And I became a legend. For many years, there was balance, and then I saw... Ben. (Playstation 3) My nephew with that mighty Skywalker (Playstation) blood. And in my HUBRIS, I thought I could train him; I could pass on my strengths"

I don't think Playstation 5 will be a Playstation 3 type situation. That situation was one and done. It will be a Cerny designed successor to PS4, but I expect a $499 price. Maybe more.

I expect the same price as the PS4.

Last edited:
Alot of people think that Ps5 will be a Ps3-type situation, but i bet it will be even more of a bargain and even more of an amazing story that Ps4 was. They are going to expand on that.

Journey

Banned
Winning and losing isn't subjective. It's only that when people decide to muddy the waters with bs.
Is Ms winning in console sales?
Is MS winning in software sales?
Is MS winning with/in Exclusives?
Please tell me how any of these are subjective.
Have you ever heard of something called "The Producers"? Make some thing to lose so we make money. Nothing subjective about it.

Is MS selling consoles? Yes, their consoles are selling
Is MS selling software? Yes, their software sells well.
Does MS have exclusives? Yes, they have quite a few good franchises.
Is MS Xbox division successful? Yes, they are making loads of money and will launch a new console next gen.

Why do most people enjoy spinning around chasing their own tails? You're not getting anywhere arguing about console wars, might as well discuss politics or religion, just let it be. This was a great speech, it's refreshing to hear them acknowledge the competition and their past mistakes. Placing a slide showing how the PS2 "already won" is the definition of arrogance.

The ground they lost from PS2 to PS3 is what most are overlooking when they speak of world wide numbers, sure the PS3 did Ok, but the momentum they had with the PS2 and the market share was lost. It was like 80-20 with MS and Nintendo fighting to split the scraps, then just one gen later and MS gained so much ground that it practically ended even, so it's fair to say they needed to humble down and we shouldn't take issue with anyone keeping them in check when they trickle back doing things like blocking cross platform play, cause believe me, if you accept what they do and move on, you better believe they won't care. We gotta keep them honest, cause no company will do this out of good will.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
PC has much more exclusives, due to it being an open platform (but if they are to your liking or not, that is another thing)

It also tends to have the consoles exclusives after a good time.

PC used to be amazing when they sold large box physical copies of games. Now you are lucky if you can get a physical PC release that actually has the game on-disc and not a simple code to download from Steam, GoG, or otherwise. Assuming they even have a physical release at all.

MDSLKTR

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS3 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS3. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play MGS4. Which will also come to 360 at some point.

The age of Sony is done.
And now he's getting peed on in jail :')

Top Bottom