• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

Rikyfree

Kolgar said:
Good news.

I rely on the PS3 browser for surfing from the couch and the bedroom... and it's been a bit flaky as of late.
Translation: I use the ps3 in the bedroom to satisfy my fapping needs!

fap.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
NinjaFusion said:
dunno... if my major competitor didn't have a browser on it's console at all... i'd be sure to make sure my browser was good.

sony have a decent mix of features on the ps3 and it's nice to see the browser isn;t getting lost in the mix.

This is the opposite of (cynical) business rationality. If your competitor doesn't have a browser, yours doesn't have to be good, it just has to exist. The browser's complete shittiness hasn't stopped Sony from touting it as a feature. Why make much effort to improve it?

That said, if it got replaced with Chrome or something, that would be kinda cool and I might try to use it more.

Pimpbaa

Man this would be great. If the PS3 had a decent web browser, I'd buy that ps3 keypad thing or even a wireless mouse and keyboard. Mainly because browsing on my computer is a pain (literally) due to me having some issues with kidney stones at the moment.

axiomnightmare said:
Not sure how good the browser can get with a controller.

You can use a kb/m, and you can also navigate the xmb with a kb/m.

I think it is an ok browser, it has the usual keyboard shortcuts for navigation, but some sites are messed up. I had a spare wireless keyboard and mouse sitting around, and I'll say it's easier to check the tv listing online on my ps3 then through my shitty freeview box.

Pimpbaa said:
Man this would be great. If the PS3 had a decent web browser, I'd buy that ps3 keypad thing or even a wireless mouse and keyboard. Mainly because browsing on my computer is a pain (literally) due to me having some issues with kidney stones at the moment.

:| Kidney stones have to suck.

I highly, highly doubt it would ever be chrome or firefox as an "update".

The Netfront browser is used in their devkits to add browser viewing ability to application development. That means it is never leaving and for good reason being compact and light on resources.

There is hope. We already have a comic "viewer" app and there is a dedicated TAB for applications now in the XMB. It is perfectly possible that Opera could ask Sony to put their app on the machine and charge money for it. Someone could port over firefox or chrome and ask a convenience fee for it as well. It would be profitable I would bet.

Afrikan

Although I'm all for Move stuff for games and other interfaces....I'm just fine with using DS3 for the PS3's browser..... I'm really fast with it....and when I'm at my cousin's, he has the PS3 mini keyboard attachment which works great....but I'm just so used to the sixaxis/DS3 everything is natural and quick....... all I do is bookmark everything.

I've only ever used the browser a few times, it's really quite bad right now. Hopefully when it's updated it can partially replace my browsing
and fapping
needs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
iamaustrian said:
somehow the PS3 browser is slower than the Wii's opera. dunno why though :/

Probably because Opera is a great browser developer with an impressive track record of creating the fastest browsers on pretty much every platform, while the PS3 browser is really a mobile browser (Netfront) poorly adapted to TV-sized browsing. Get a version of Opera or Chrome on there, and things will be flying along nicely!

But yes, the current PS3 browser is the worst one on any platform I currently use. I appreciate having one, but it could be so much better.

DrXym

Netfront is a terrible browser. I don't see any reason to keep it in the XMB. However they probably have to keep the embedded browser when its used as a game module. Some games use it and they may well break (or the content they render) if the old browser were replaced by the new one.

ultron87

If they give me a good way to watch HD Youtube stuff on my TV I will love them forever.

Big screen Starcraft replays here I come.

Edit: Damnit! Didn't see this was a bump from awhile ago.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Spectacularly shitty bump.
On the other hand, now that the PS3 is effectively cracked, we might see decent homebrew solutions materialize.

Maybe.

Crisis

Banned
DrXym said:
Netfront is a terrible browser. I don't see any reason to keep it in the XMB. However they probably have to keep the embedded browser when its used as a game module. Some games use it and they may well break (or the content they render) if the old browser were replaced by the new one.

Thanks for bumping this. I hadn't met my quota of "getting-my-hopes-up-then-having-them-dashed-for-no-good-reason" today.

Killthee said:

Most likely the Tweet is accurate. It's also been confirmed on a GNU licence required website maintained by Sony. It's partially active now and being used for HTML UI in Hulu, and many other IPTV stand alone applications (not in the PS3 web browser).

Tweet posted by OP from Sony employee 7-25-2010 saying big upgrade coming in two months:
original1.jpg

And two months later 9/28/2010 PS3 firmware 3.5 was released with a HTML5 Webkit javascript engine.

http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/

http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2/

Parent Directory -
ps3-compat-headers-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 3.2K
ps3-exports-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 2.2K
webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2-SHA1SUM 11-Nov-2010 14:00 355
webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 341M
webkit-patches-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 90K
Jump to page 6 message 260

LOL Even I gave up on the ps3 browser, who the heck could still be holding on? I mean great they are fixing it after....years, but I stopped using it. Oddly enough that was years ago.

besiktas1

smh why would you bump a thread to quote a post made over 6 months ago. I came in expecting something new.

Not to be a snob but.... ugh, Junior.

Top Bottom