• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

travisbickle said:
Just add a skype app, then there's another reason to own an eyetoy.

Skype seems to be so obvious to integrate into the PS3 XMB anyway, the PSP has it since years...

Would be cool if you could choose to voice/video chat with friends from PSN and Skype in the same chat room. Even better would be an integration with cross game voice chat.

@topic: a version of Chrome could be nice, but I casually use the PS3 browser already with no major problems.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LAMBO said:
Do you want to run the plugin?

Hopefully the big upgrade will include the option for "don't ask this again".
I don't give a shit about the plug in, just stop asking me about it from christs' sake.

Also, hopefully this big upgrade will include a new feature that prevents Javascript to crash the PS3 every 15 minute or so. You gotta have it on to watch the youtubes and use a lot of sites properly but it always freezes up my PS3.

RockmanWhore said:
I guess that it will get a massive upgrade to support Move.

but not only pointer support but the whole Minority Report tech demo thing:
2nvezuv.jpg

wjc7jn.gif

I'm on the browser right now, I'd love any improvements as I use it for GAF all the time. Its great for checking GAF before/after gaming sessions...among other things.

I definitely expect some improvements for Move support at least. Hopefully that worked so nice that they thought 'hey, we need to make this thing better, it's actually really useful'. I use it a fair bit but it's just not good enough.

Don't expect the minority report thing though, that's not going to happen in the near future, it was intended as just a tech demo, Anton said as much in person.

JADS

radioheadrule83 said:
I don't know what the current browser is based on, but it doesn't seem to me like its WebKit because it renders some websites horribly with gimped functionality. So even a switch to something like that would be a step up. HTML5 and updated flash would be nice too. I don't use the browser that often though..

I too would like to see some kind of video chat app that's not exclusive to PS3. Skype, GTalk, anything..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetFront
http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontmobile/browser/index.html
http://www.design215.com/read.php?title=playstation 3 browser specs

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did an update to the 4.x version or used some custom version with Move support.

loosus

Banned
I know that Chrome/Chromium works well on PCs, but would it do as well on the PS3 architecture? I don't know much about it, but I'm just wondering how much it's tailored to fit specifically to PCs.

lljride

Browser's good enough for what I use it for (mainly just lurking GAF from my couch). Hopefully the update will at least make it a little more stable and get it working again with sites like Gametrailers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
loosus said:
I know that Chrome/Chromium works well on PCs, but would it do as well on the PS3 architecture? I don't know much about it, but I'm just wondering how much it's tailored to fit specifically to PCs.

They could give Google a dev kit and let them go at it. It would certainly turn out just fine.

I think a Google tie may make sense. Even maybe an option for a version of Chrome OS on the PS3. That would give google the presence in the living room they want with millions of devices already out there, and also give PS3 users the benefits of web browsing and all other things google.

Google and Sony already annoucned a partnership that will bring Chrome OS to Bravia TVs, so adding it to PS3 seems a no brainer.

It seems to make sense as a partnership to me. I know Google is going to market the Logitech boxes for Google TV, but I don't see a reason not to try to put it into existing boxes which are already hooked to the TV and internet and are more than powerful enough to handle video of all sorts. The question is cable input.

Raistlin

ZeroRay said:
Dedicated web app would be awesome.

Better than simply running over the XMB and using a single SPU.

I don't think processing speed is the long-pole for PS3 browser issues. It's memory.

Danielsan said:
The PS3 browser is shit.
I'll laugh if the "big" upgrade only adds move support.

:lol good point. That said, Move support would be welcomed.

Raistlin

zerokoolpsx said:
Google Chrome. I would use the PS3 browser a lot more, and increased the tabs more than 6. It does have its uses.

See my above post. The PS3 effectively has the same RAM as an iPhone 3GS.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Raistlin said:
I don't think processing speed is the long-pole for PS3 browser issues. It's memory.

Right. But it does not have access to GPU memory either or acceleration according to some. So a proper app that uses the GPU for video and flash acceleration and has access to the entire memory banks should work far better where the current browser struggles most, complex flash and video heavy sites.

daevv

Other than large screen pron I never use it since I have a laptop or iPhone on the couch/sofa next to me.

~d

Raistlin

AndyD said:
Right. But it does not have access to GPU memory either or acceleration according to some.

Yeah, that relates to my 3GS comment

So a proper app that uses the GPU for video and flash acceleration and has access to the entire memory banks should work far better where the current browser struggles most, complex flash and video heavy sites.

I agree, mostly. Certainly HW acceleration for flash would be nice, but I'm not sure how viable using GPU memory is for normal rendering. While I haven't coded a browser, I would assume a majority of it is logically being run on the CPU. In that situation, main RAM is the only memory you can access. Other than for stuff specifically made for GPU acceleration (flash, etc), the GPU only comes into play for rasterizing the framebuffer.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Odrion said:
Move Support. This is so obvious I'm surprised it wasn't the first post.

It already supports keyboard and mouse so that wouldn't be even close to a "big" upgrade. Maybe a side-grade. Most likely a downgrade.

Won't be surprised if that's what it turns out to be though, because everything is terrible. :/

About time, even the Wii internet browser is far better than whatever Sony are using, and that thing chokes when you have more than 3 images on the same page. Just something simple like the ability to properly control the zoom level - aside from full zoom or nothing at all - would be welcome. Even trying to read a game walkthrough is a nightmare with that awful zoom tool.

Azure Phoenix said:
About time, even the Wii internet browser is far better than whatever Sony are using, and that thing chokes when you have more than 3 images on the same page. Just something simple like the ability to properly control the zoom level - aside from full zoom or nothing at all - would be welcome. Even trying to read a game walkthrough is a nightmare with that awful zoom tool.

Press R3 to zoom and then use R2 to zoom in and L2 to zoom out. It's been there since day one.

BruceWayneIII said:
Press R3 to zoom and then use R2 to zoom in and L3 to zoom out. It's been there since day one.

also the R3 zoom is quite clever in that it auto-snaps to things, e.g. move the cursor over a picture or video
and press R3 -> zoom to fill the whole screen.

sometimes I think when people are bitching about the PS3 browser (doesn't work at all, piece of shit, worse than the Wii browser etc.), they either just don't know how to control it or only tried it once with a flash heavy website full of adds.

It's not perfect or a permanent replacement for a PC, but it works quite well, offers basic features and it isn't even that unstable as long as you don't have many tabs open with memory heavy stuff (and at least it has tabs).

Erasus

Please Sony just dump the netfront browser and go with Opera.

I dont know how FF or Chrome fare on consoles but they are nice choices too.

If I could pick I would have Chrome or FF. Adblock is a must.

54-46! said:
I can see they are putting development time in to what's important.

dunno... if my major competitor didn't have a browser on it's console at all... i'd be sure to make sure my browser was good.

sony have a decent mix of features on the ps3 and it's nice to see the browser isn;t getting lost in the mix.

Luigiv

I don't want an upgrade, I want a complete overhaul. PS3's current web browser is horrid. It's slow, the button layout is counter intuitive and just isn't optimised for TV browsing. Hell even the low res and feature deprived Wii browser trumps it.

El-Suave

I hope NeoGAF will be working again since it currently isn't.
I used to browse a for few minutes before I go to bed sometimes (i.e. on NPD days). Now I can't. :-(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
El-Suave said:
I used to browse a for few minutes before I go to bed sometimes (i.e. on NPD days). Now I can't. :-(

I've heard of this and I occasionally get a white screen with screen, but all I have to do to fix it is hit refresh. I've been using the browser to visit Neogaf over the last week without any other problems.

somuchwater said:
Yeah, what he says. It's under 'All Tweets' so it should be publicly viewable.

It might been deleted. There was a tweet on the PS Twitter before E3 about Thief 4 and it was quickly deleted after it was posted.

El-Suave said:

I had this problem but I found a work around of opening any links in a new window (hold down X). But TBH the past week this problem seems to have disappeared 99.9% for me (wall of text happened once last night) and can now browse normally again.

Kolgar

Good news.

I rely on the PS3 browser for surfing from the couch and the bedroom... and it's been a bit flaky as of late.

Top Bottom