• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

perryfarrell said:
All we see is someone with his head stuck so deep in the sand that he fails to see the big picture, chasing unsubstantiated silly rumors down a rabbit hole.

Why o why would Sony, who doesn't have a good track record bringing additional non-gaming features to their playstation OS, at this point in the life cycle of the PS3 (past its prime), sink funds into developing a browser? It hasn't been updated or changed in years. I mean, look at the PS store... It looks like Netscape circa 1995. Updating that thing is way more important than adding a browser.
Your partially correct. Sony is porting an open source read FREE GTKwebkit and support libraries which is MUCH less work than writing everything themselves. In addition, since everything used in this OPEN source GTKwebkit is cross platform, it can be used as the basis for a multi-platform ecosystem. This ecosystem platform based on webkit or webkit support libraries will also be used in the PS4 as just about everything developed for the PS3 or VITA can be used on a PS4 or PS3 or Vita or S1, S2 or S3 or any other platform with a webkit browser.

Sony is not like Apple or Google which did the groundwork and spent multi-millions of dollars for webkit. They waited till it was done by others and then they port it to the PS3. As I mentioned, it was only completed (webGL and Stable webkit) in March 2011.

Who knows, if Sony had been in better financial shape they wouldn't be 2 years behind Apple, relying on Apple to release webkit code so they can use it. The recent FLAP over Apple delaying the release of webkit2 code they developed is telling. Apple has an advantage in keeping that code in house.... webkit2 is nearing completion and can be used by Sony and others to compete with iOS. Every month Apple can delay Sony and others gives them an advantage.

I would guess that Sony is preparing a web presence to use the new features in a GTKwebkit browser (WebGL, SVG, HTML5) that will be in the Vita and PS3 as well as the Chrome browser (HTML5, WebGL, SVG) they include with Sony notebooks and Sony Android platforms.

jeff_rigby said:
The webkit port is bringing support for GNU Linux to the PS3.

theBishop said:
Jesus... please stop posting. You don't even know that you have no clue.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27680295&postcount=405

Job Summary: The Sony Network Entertainment Senior Software Engineer-WebKit will join a dynamic team of experienced engineers developing WebKit and related open source software for the Playstation3, Sony Android devices, and other Sony consumer electronics products.

BS or higher in Computer Science or Engineering.
Five or more years of relevant software development experience.
Knowledge of Web standards; HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DOM.
Open source software development experience.
Software development using Linux and GNU toolchains.
Expert at C/C++ programing.

Desirable:

HTML 5 and/or JavaScript programming experience.
WebKit, Cairo, or Pixman internals experience.......(Much Pixman code in Cairo)
Graphics programming with OpenGL or similar experience.
Software optimization work; Vector and/or graphics optimizations a plus.
Programming vector processors; Cell Broadband Engine and SPUs a plus.
Software development using Playstation3 dev-tool and PS3 SDK.
The input to pulse audio has to match what applications expect. In the case of Game OS, it has to match what games expect, in the case of Gstreamer, it has to match what gstreamer expects. This is one of Pulse Audio's features, it can have multiple input plugins at the same time. So Pulse audio could provide a OSS (FreeBSD) standard input for game OS and also work with a gstreamer base plugin or even the ALSA Linux standard for GNU Linux applications.

If you want to get picky, Sony is porting most of the Gnome mobile support libraries with webkit that will allow for easier porting of GNULinux applications built with those tools. While there aren't allot of them to this point the Gnome 3.2 Shell will contain the basic set needed for a desktop and going forward I expect many more to follow. Further, webkit applications are also portable to the PS3 with little modification. Keeping a closed platform is the only difficulty I can see in porting these applications.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Blimblim said:
I find his posts highly entertaining actually.
Same here. He's putting an effort into it, so it's cool. His Holographic 500GB drive for PS4 post in that other thread was hilarious, but he has to realize that Sony is trying to do a business here and wont do things that doesn't seem practical.

Meisadragon said:
Same here. He's putting an effort into it, so it's cool. His Holographic 500GB drive for PS4 post in that other thread was hilarious, but he has to realize that Sony is trying to do a business here and wont do things that doesn't seem practical.
That's what "He" (at Sony) said "entertaining" <grin>, don't know whether that means he liked the webkit detective work or thinks I am so wrong as to be entertaining....I assume the former <grin>, could be wrong there too. He noted that I'd found the second webkit disclosure but cautioned that; "he is just a software engineer and has no control in how it's used".

The above can support androvsky's opinion of what's coming more than mine...it's vague enough to support even the most critical stating it's not coming to the PS3 but chrome and user interface changes were in the Sony Webkit DIFF files and those absolutely would not be there if a browser were not coming to the PS3.

Beyond a browser coming and the obvious use of the browser support libraries for Playview as well as the javascript engine for IPTV applications, the job posting to port webkit and related applications to the PS3 and the WebGL patent, it's all speculation. On my part based on my understanding of what could be done with it and my belief that Sony sees this also. Others have a negative opinion of Sony coloring their view of what's coming which I think is in error.

Blimblim said:

Indeed, I find Jeff's posts delightfully bonkers :)

I just hope Sony DO add some of this stuff just to see Jeff's reaction after so many pages of speculation!

patsu said:
Nice find ! I didn't know they have implemented this too. One of their tech slides also mentioned that voice recognition is available in the Move SDK (via the PSEye).

paskowitz said:
I am not trolling and I stand by my statement that the info about IBM and the new cell is accurate. Especially the part about how long it has been in development.
If that is accurate, the Toshiba Cell plant purchased by Sony might be used to manufacture a new 32nm cell successor on SOI and to produce 4 SPU blocks like seen in the Sony patent.

After 30 minutes reading trough multiple Google hits I find this:
According to Kyodo News reported Dec. 23: It is reported that Sony and Toshiba recently Nagasaki Isahaya repurchase semiconductor factory started negotiations on the issue. As the market for digital cameras and other products in the demand for image sensors increasing, Sony needs to purchase plant to increase production. purchase price is expected to reach several billion yen Sony's Nagasaki plant was originally the home console "PlayStation3" high-performance semiconductor components, "Silver" production base (SOI Cell). 2008 , is Sony's 900 billion yen (about 7.2 billion yuan) was sold to Toshiba. Sony's Nagasaki plant after the repurchase, in addition to continuing production of "Silver", but also intends to produce smart camera high-performance image sensors. (Mo Qianwen)
Confirms the Cell is continuing to be produced at that plant. ALL English language articles left this out and we got the wrong impression. When I speculated that the purchase could be to produce Cell chips for Sony future projects I was jumped on with the English language quotes that only had camera elements in it. What's not made clear is if Sony will invest in 32nm or smaller production technology which would be needed for a PS4.

In a Beyond 3D thread comments were made that such a 4SPU cell could be used for preprocessing both audio and video for voice and motion recognition. (amplification by me) It could be manufactured using bulk process and would not need the speed needed by the main CPU but would be a memory hog so decoupling both voice and Kinect like body recognition from system ram made sense.

Further such a face, voice and motion detection system could be used in other consumer electronics equipment. R&D costs can be shared with other Sony product lines.

Point of this is that I believe a SPU is a perfect choice for the above and other real world tasks and there has been no discussion on these other uses or how they tie into the Sony purchase of the Nagasaki plant or the published patent because we took English language reports at face value. They all tie together. Both camera element and motion detection cell produced in the same Sony plant?

Edit: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/F5C6F8A6?page=1

Sony Banking On New Super Fast Cell Processor For PS4 & Bravia TV
By David Richards | Monday | 30/05/2011
Sony, who announced a $3 Billion plus loss last, week is pinning their future on a brand new processor which some are speculating will lead to a new Playstation 4.
What we have been told is that Sony is working on a very fast processor which is being developed with IBM, who was the original architect with Sony and Toshiba of the Cell processor, which has been used by both Sony and Microsoft to power their gaming processors for nearly 10 years.

IBM sources claim that the new multi core PowerPC processor, which Big Blue, has spent several years developing is now part of a joint development project with the Japanese company.

Sony recently moved to buy back the Toshiba Cell factory in Nagasaki for $600 million with some tipping that this will be used to manufacture the processor for both Sony Toshiba and IBM devices.

The new 32nm Cell processor is tipped to be capable of up to 16 SPEs which is twice as fast as the current Cell processor according to IBM leaks.

Japanese sources claim that Sony is gearing up to manufacture the Cell processor in bulk with some analysts tipping that the new processor will also appear in Sony notebooks and built into new Sony Bravia TVs.

Intel sources have said that they are also working on a new processor that will be ideal for future gaming consoles as well as for use in devices that are both gaming console and media hubs.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29238842&postcount=202 From /XX/ Seems there is a pattern where IBM develops 65 then 45nm process on SOI at it's Fishkill plant for the Cell and RSX and then Sony produces the chips at the Nagasaki plant. Speculation: Same thing for 32nm but now Cell 2 and RSX with a slight redesign with 500 meg SOI Edram on the Cell.

The last Xbox refresh to 45nm replaced the 512meg gddr3 with edram on the CPU. This was apparently an economical refresh that allows a power savings and a reduction in cost. What has not been discussed is that edram is faster than gddr3 and the new xbox refresh could be faster with minor OS changes and memory clock speeds.

The PS3 refresh to 45nm may not have been able to do the same because of the XDR buss to GPU & memory. Was this a reason the rumors have no cell refresh to 32nm, a redesign to use edram which changes the XDR buss RSX and CPU connections would require a major change to the Cell. Is that in the works with the hack proof PS3? Possibly unify the 512 meg with both Cell and RSX on a 32nm die. OS changes were gong to be needed in any case for the new encryption key so having two firmware versions was already part of the Hack proof chassis requirement so why not include a few cost cutting measures. Also with no external memory buss to attach to it makes a similar Geohot exploit impossible. In any business plan Sony wants the PS3 production costs to decrease which expands the PS3 market. This provides for more game sales and platforms to support Sony media and cameras.

What's really needed to give true-solid 720P gaming?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29675459&postcount=454
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29675851&postcount=457

Feb 21, 2011 EverythingHQ.com (linked above) also states that Sony is reportedly developing a hack-proof PS3 SKU, to quote:

"The hack-proof SKU will be a slim PlayStation 3 model and will contain a 300GB hard drive as an incentive to purchase the hack-proof system - the price of the SKU will be £186.99, my source informs me.

The scheduled launch is unsure at this time due to Sony seeing if they can win the battle in the courts against the root of all the PS3 hacks - George Hotz.

Sony is essentially trying to get rid of all the old SKUs with these price drops - and even their own price drop incoming possibly - so it makes way for their new hack-proof model."

Sony is going to need to produce a new PS3 using different encryption keys. This will require two separate firmware updates going forward (can be transparent to us). If they produce a very attractive PS3 upgrade, the PS3 core gamers (who purchase higher end games) will probably purchase this new PS3.

"built into new Sony Bravia TVs" Chat, voice and body/motion recognition Sony needs something to differentiate their TVs from other manufacturers. Could this TV with a 4 SPU cell be powerful enough to play PS2 - PS2 games if converted to a cairo- openGL format?

Bollocks

Just close this thread already, it's nonsense after nonsense.
Certain sites are banned for dubious rumors/speculation yet this thread is the very definition of that and keeps on going.
15 pages in and nothing has been proven true so far, just let it go, it's dead.
Unless there is real evidence from a reputable source, don't even bother to update it!

Rolf NB

Blimblim said:
Because you're a bad person. Just think about how hard it is to fix if someone believes this shit. It's like negative tech education. It'll take years just to turn them back into regular people that can operate a cash register.

patsu

Oh boy, my name gets used in this thread now.

I object ! LOL

Regarding voice recognition support in Move SDK, I think you can find it in Sony's tech slides. Other than that, don't quote me out of context man. Yes, Cell can do audio and video preprocessing, but that doesn't mean Sony will build world domination plan out of it.

EDIT: jeff, if you have time digging these info out, you might as well commit some serious effort to contribute to some open source project. Something related to Move.me, RemotePlay for iOS, etc. would be interesting to all of us.

I think there is a $1000 bounty for porting the open source RemotePlay to iOS too the last time I checked. ^_^

androvsky

jeff_rigby said:
After 30 minutes reading trough multiple Google hits I find this: Confirms the Cell is continuing to be produced at that plant. ALL English language articles left this out and we got the wrong impression. When I speculated that the purchase could be to produce Cell chips for Sony future projects I was jumped on with the English language quotes that only had camera elements in it. What's not made clear is if Sony will invest in 32nm or smaller production technology which would be needed for a PS4.
You're probably misreading a machine translated article.

Sony's Nagasaki plant was originally the home console "PlayStation3" high-performance semiconductor components, "Silver" production base (SOI Cell).
Translation of the translation: The plant used to produce the Cell for the PS3.
As the market for digital cameras and other products in the demand for image sensors increasing, Sony needs to purchase plant to increase production.
Sony's going to use it to make image sensors.

I still have no idea what you mean by the GNU Linux thing. Plain Linux and plain BSD are very similar from an application point of view. There are far more differences in the PS3's implementation of BSD (or whatever Unix it's using); there's absolutely no reason Sony needs to support unmodified Linux applications; it makes far more sense for the applications to be modified to support the PS3.

And that all stemmed from your assertion that the PS3 GameOS uses ALSA, which is just plain bonkers.

androvsky said:
You're probably misreading a machine translated article.

Translation of the translation: The plant used to produce the Cell for the PS3.

Sony's going to use it to make image sensors.
"PlayStation3" high-performance semiconductor components, "Silver" production base (SOI Cell). 2008 , is Sony's 900 billion yen (about 7.2 billion yuan) was sold to Toshiba. Sony's Nagasaki plant after the repurchase, in addition to continuing production of "Silver", but also intends to produce smart camera high-performance image sensors. (Mo Qianwen)
I don't think there is any way that could be a translation error. In addition to continuing production of Silver Sony also intends to produce smart camera image sensors. If the quote that Sony & IBM are producing a Cell 2 is correct then the Nagasaki plant purchase to produce Cell High performance chips has more weight. Read edit in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29840465&postcount=709

androvsky said:
And that all stemmed from your assertion that the PS3 GameOS uses ALSA, which is just plain bonkers.
The PS3 may be a custom embedded Linux as the quote way back in this thread seemed to indicate. Wiki and others are "speculating" that it is freeBSD because Sony has not legally disclosed which would be required with a modern Linux distribution. Sony might have a paired down GNULinux to Free and clean room code (the limited OS in the PS3 would tend to support this guess). In any case the "Standard" used by Pulse Audio to output to the PS3 PCM audio output is in this case irrelevant as no other application is going to have to know or use that standard. It can be ALSA (code provided by other OS Linux ALSA) or OSS (FreeBSD) or custom. The input to pulse audio on the other hand has to match what applications expect. In the case of Game OS, it has to match what games expect, in the case of Gstreamer, it has to match what gstreamer expects. This is one of Pulse Audio's features, it can have multiple input plugins at the same time. So Pulse audio could provide a OSS (FreeBSD) standard input for game OS and also work with a gstreamer base plugin or even the ALSA Linux standard for GNU Linux applications.

Given these parameters we know and suspect are going to have to be supported by the PS3 how would you implement them?

1) Audio redirection to the Stereo headphones; this must redirect game as well as application audio to the USB port. Where should such an application be located? And doesn't that change what the PS3 game OS expects to see for audio out?

2) Cross game chat; this must have very low overhead yet redirect a separate microphone audio channel to another machine, accept multiple IP audio input streams and mix then with game audio while allowing separate volume controls for game and chat. Again where should this application be located? (Some of this is Telepathy)

It's understood that Pulse audio would have to have an input that matched what PS3 game OS expects to output to but pulse audio can have multiple inputs, one of those being a gstreamer plugin accepting audio from telepathy negotiated connections with other PS3s or an application. And yes Sony can custom write applications to do all this or they can use standards already accepted by most Linux distros and used in the OLPC platform. Since we are now talking ecosystem with multiple platforms, Standards become more important. I could guess Sony would want a PS3 cross game chat to work with other platforms.

androvsky said:
I still have no idea what you mean by the GNU Linux thing. Plain Linux and plain BSD are very similar from an application point of view. There are far more differences in the PS3's implementation of BSD (or whatever Unix it's using);
Example: The input to pulse audio has to match what applications expect. In the case of Game OS, it has to match what games expect, in the case of Gstreamer, it has to match what gstreamer expects. This is one of Pulse Audio's features, it can have multiple input plugins at the same time. So Pulse audio could provide a OSS (FreeBSD) standard input for game OS and also work with a gstreamer base plugin or even the ALSA Linux standard for GNU Linux applications.

I should have said Limited or more support for GNU Linux, most are taking the statement literally. GNU Linux (Gnome Mobile) applications that use Cairo or Gstreamer or Glib or Telepathy or Python (possibly) will be easier to port. Because Linux uses as a standard Gstreamer for AV and the application side of the PS3 is going to be mostly AV, most Linux AV applications will need little modification. GNULinux applications that use ONLY Gnome mobile libraries should require NO modification to port to any POSIX platform provided those Gnome Mobile libraries have already been ported to that platform.

Glib duplicates some of the functionality of libc (FreeBSD) and Glibc (GNULinux). Applications using primarily Glib on a Linux kernel will be easy to port to any POSIX platform that also has a Glib ported to it and that includes the PS3 and Vita.

Edit: There is a difference in what we are assuming as far as the PS3 non-game OS. I'm looking at Gstreamer, Cairo, Glib, Telepathy, Pulse audio, etc. being integrated into and used by the PS3 OS. Your PS3 model is vastly different and my statements can't be understood with your model in mind.

In my model the version of POSIX OS is irrelevant provided the application being ported uses the libraries provided to support webkit. In yours, the application has to support it'self, will be very large and is not designed to work with other applications; I.E. more of what we currently have. Porting a Linux application to your model will be very very difficult, mine will be very simple, very small with the ability to talk to other applications and share data exactly like modern Linux applications which use the accepted as standard Telepathy, Glib, D-Bus and Gstreamer and in the case of several Linux distros Cairo or Cairo-Clutter.

I've previously posted information that confirms Sony is going to use the above to support applications on their platforms. You don't think this applies to the PS3? In those TV & Blu-ray platforms, they are currently using an Opera browser. In Sony 2011 networked TV & Blu-ray the only use for cairo, gstreamer, Glib (contains Telepathy) is for applications not a browser.

Perhaps we should drop back to what a Sony PS3-Vita-S1-S2 or Microsoft Xbox-WP7 ecosystem upgrade might have as features then look at the tools that might be used.

androvsky said:
there's absolutely no reason Sony needs to support unmodified Linux applications; it makes far more sense for the applications to be modified to support the PS3.
If we were talking just the PS3 yes but all Sony 2011 networked TVs and Blu-Ray players also contain these same libraries and I expect ALL SONY platforms of sufficient power are going to use the same libraries to share the same IP. This makes rewriting the PS3 OS to conform to a "standard" Sony is going to use in the future worth while. This "Standard" appears to be a custom POSIX Gnome Mobile + webkit javascript engine which is a subset of a GTKwebkit with support libraries. For game platforms add Pulse audio to support cross game chat.

And the above is the only original idea or conclusion I have had in this thread that I will take credit for. It is speculation, we will have to wait and see.

theBishop

Banned
jeff_rigby said:
You may be correct and Sony will write a custom pulse audio plugin for output to the PS3 audio output

It's understood that Pulse audio would have to have an input that matched what PS3 game OS expects to output to but pulse audio can have multiple inputs, one of those being a gstreamer plugin accepting audio from telepathy negotiated connections with other PS3s or an application.

Pulse Audio ... oh dear ...

NEW interesting ecosystem features; Blutooth 3.0 & new WiFi Standards

Vita using blutooth to control the PS3 in collaborative games? Possible but I don't think it's the best way. If you already have a WiFi connection established why go with a slower second control method which adds complexity and more overhead. It's a standard already supported....sure but I believe game to game by the same producer could tweak a little more performance by eliminating blu-tooth.

S1 is speculated to have remote play and remote control with keyboard. Will it also use new WiFi Direct or Blutooth 3.0?

Blutooth 3.0 has an interesting feature that might impact new platforms
But it’s the Alternate MAC/PHY section of the specifications that’s interesting – and also the section that’s not mandatory to get a Bluetooth 3.0 certification. It allows two BT3.0-certified devices to do a handshake over a Bluetooth link and then switch to a 802.11 link (the base technology for Wi-Fi) to achieve speeds of up to 24Mbps. Edit: max speed is only limited by what is supported (B, G, N, 5Ghz, 60Ghz).
Devices that support Alternate MAC/PHY are certified as “Bluetooth 3.0+HS” (High Speed) and ones that don’t are certified as just “Bluetooth 3.0” and are limited to regular Bluetooth transfer speeds (no Wi-Fi magic).

A bit more digging reveals that Android 2.2 (and below) doesn’t even support Bluetooth 3.0 – the BlueZ library that it uses is old and works only up to Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. You can check Bluetooth support info for the other Android versions over at their dev site (there’s no info on Gingerbread though).
Can Sony update the BlueZ D-bus config library or equivalent in the PS3 to support this? It supports using wifi for control and provides an automatic method. It's an obvious ecosystem feature and became part of the new Blutooth 3.0 standard. Part of Sony's ecosystem? Again this may mean more use of D-bus in the PS3 (which is in Glib). BlueZ is a part of Gnome Mobile.

New WiFI features WiFI Direct, 5Ghz and 60 Ghz band are coming to support ecosystems.
The next step appears to be to move into the peer-to-peer personal area networking realm that has until now been the province of Bluetooth. Bluetooth does not have sufficient range and compatibility to cover all the applications that its proponents had once envisioned for it. Now Wi-Fi Direct will be able to directly connect devices without a Wi-Fi network or hotspot available.

Wi-Fi Direct will have three modes: a one-to-one configuration, a one-to-many configuration and a concurrent Wi-Fi AP and peer-to-peer configuration (Figure 2). The one-to-one arrangement is expected to be a very common mode. Devices will be able to connect directly to one another to share content or applications. This will allow such things as printing directly from a camera, sharing video games, displaying pictures from a phone on a TV, etc. The possible applications in the embedded world are many as well, such as configuring devices or gathering data from devices with a handheld unit or even a smartphone.

And it doesn’t look like Wi-Fi is stopping here. There are at least two other initiatives on the horizon. One is to move Wi-Fi into the 60 GHz range, which will allow it to deliver multi-gigabit data rates (up to 7 Gbit/s), albeit at a shorter range than traditional Wi-Fi. This effort corresponds to work being done in IEEE 802.11ab and now apparently in cooperation with the WiGig Alliance (DisplayPort + HDMI + 60Ghz WiFi). In addition, there is a move to define Wi-Fi operation in the 5 GHz band, which could deliver a gigabit data rate. This corresponds to work being done on IEEE 802.11ac, which aims at providing a multi-station throughput of at least 1 Gbit/s and a single link throughput of at least 500 Mbit/s.

Wi-Fi is also moving into the healthcare arena, and the Alliance is working closely with the medical Continua Alliance that seeks to establish standards for communicating medical devices. The concurrent emergence of the Smart Grid and the Smart Home has recently led to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) specifying Wi-Fi as a top rated technology along with ZigBee and HomePlug Green PHY. In addition, what the FCC has called “Super Wi-Fi” is looking to move into the television white spaces that have been opened up since the specification of digital transmission. These are attractive for outdoor networking and the use of Wi-Fi in extended areas such as neighborhoods or college campuses.

Does the S1 support Blutooth 3.0 and WiFi Direct? Is the PS3 Blutooth configuration file updated to support 3.0, can the PS3 support Direct WiFi?
s1_03_0426_2011.png

sony2.jpg

sony1.jpg

There appears to be a custom keyboard app with a numeric keypad on the right — something I haven’t seen on any other Android tablet.

Sony has a custom music player that’s optimized for Honeycomb tablets and which features “SenseMe” channels that let you listen to music based on moods.

There’s a WiFi-connection wizard which offers more advanced features than you’ll find on most Android tablets.

The Apps menu also shows a few applications we haven’t seen before including a Chumby app. There are also custom icons for camera, calendar, contacts, gallery, and other apps, which suggests that Sony may have tweaked these applications.

S1 & S2 to be released Sept 7

The Japanese company is expected to launch the S1 and S2 right before IFA 2011 in Berlin (the largest consumer electronics show in Europe), which runs from September 2-7. In conjunction with the launch, the real names of the tablets will be revealed, and the source says they could be very similar to the current S1/S2 pseudonym.

Sony aims to market the S1 as a tablet for the home, for several reasons, including PS3 connectivity (DLNA and possible remote play/remote keyboard), and the previously announced onboard infrared remote feature, which allows the tablet to control TVs, Blu-ray players, and other devices.
If true the PS3 would need the DLNA upgraded to version 1.5 by Sept 2-7.
September 6th 2011 Stereo Headphones = requires Firmware 3.7

That's two indications that several features or upgrades will be turned on by Sept 6.

Looks like Ecosystem upgrades are starting soon Sony will share some of the IP developed for other platforms across all platforms. Look for some of the custom applications like the calender to show up on the PS3.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/sony-s-ps3-debuts-brand-new-bbc-iplayer-988211
Sony's PlayStation 3 will be the first consumer device to show off the BBC's latest iPlayer, designed from the ground up to work on televisions.

The iPlayer has been a major hit on the PS3, proving a popular addition to the console in the UK.

So it's a natural place for the BBC to host its latest iPlayer version, built in HTML5 and boasting a new UI and new functionality.
Just the same webkit javascript engine IPTV or new functionality using more of webkit?

bbc_iplayer_ps3_4x3_3-218-85.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8688314/BBC-pushes-iPlayer-into-the-living-room.html

It is available from today on the PlayStation 3 games console, and is being adapted for an array of set-top boxes and internet-capable televisions. Many such devices were already able to access iPlayer, but the presentation was inconsistent and it could be frustrating to navigate.

The new version features menus that are easier to use with a normal remote control and better personalisation features that remember viewers’ searches and them to quickly access their favourite programmes.

“It feel like TV, it's much easier to use and it’s more personal,” said Gideon Summerfield, the BBC’s executive product manager for iPlayer on TV.

“This is designed from the ground up for televisions,” he added.

Guardian reports that BBC iPlayer will launch in eleven European countries, coming later this year to United States. The subscription-based service that streams some of the finest BBC programming launched its iPad app today in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Ireland, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland. In those markets, BBC iPlayer will require a monthly fee of 7 Euros. The app provides on-demand access to BBC’s popular news and documentaries, in addition to both archive and most recent shows such as Doctor Who and Top Gear. Initially, BBC’s catalogue will include about 1,500 hours of content, with a hundred hours added each week.

In the US, BBC.com managing director Luke Bradley-Jones told the publication, will go head to head with the likes of Hulu and Netflix subscriptions and the low monthly fee of eight bucks should help BBC compete with those content providers on their own turf. You can download the app free on App Store in select markets, but note the system won’t let you stream content unless you access it from one of the supported countries. Another goodie for international viewers: Content can be streamed over 3G cellular networks and individual episodes can be downloaded for offline viewing. Interestingly, the team worked closely with Apple on the offline feature

The launch had to be brought forward by weeks because Sony Japan is due to be shut down for two weeks this month as part of a government-imposed energy conservation effort. Electricity supplies in the county have not yet recovered from the devastating earthquake and tsunami that crippled the Fukushima nuclear plant in March.
I guess it's OK to release this now; BBC iPlayer has been tested by 300 PS3 EU users chosen out of a pool of 3000 during the last month or so. A tester emailed me about an application imminent release. Edit more info:

Firmware update was not needed application was released as is.
BBC Iplayer on PS3 goes HD via WEB KIT powered web app.
Size 4MB
720p video
Free app for UK viewers No extra payment.
No download from store.
Direct download of XMB under icon.

Sony can alter XMB contents With out firmware updates it seams now.

From the release moved up weeks due to the Sony power outage I would guess that plans were to announce it at GameCom.

Xbox to get IPTV and rumors Google TV 2.0 coming to PS3

Microsoft revealed that the IPTV service would be coming to the Xbox 360 this year. However, the delay in the Mediaroom conference may mean that the service may not launch this year.

Microsoft isn’t the only company looking at bringing such as service to a console. Sony is also rumored to be working with Google to bring Google TV to the PS3. Microsoft’s Mediaroom IPTV solution has been slow in getting picked. However, if the company can leverage this solution across the Xbox 360, Microsoft will have the opportunity to push this out to millions of users quickly.
RVU and AllVid would support external tuners needed for Google TV.

http://vista.blorge.com/2011/06/08/...-at-e3-ahead-of-sonys-google-tv-announcement/
ZDNet reported back in early March, that a source has revealed that Microsoft is working on an IPTV service codename: “Orapa.” This is the name of a city in Botswana and houses one of the largest diamond mines in the world. Incidentally, the name of the rumored subscription level is Diamond level, which is supposed to be higher than Xbox Live’s Gold level.

According to the site, Orapa is heavily under development currently and will integrate Microsoft’s Mediaroom IPTV with Xbox Live. Apparently this service is planned not only for the Xbox 360 console, but the Windows Phone, Windows OS and set-top-boxes.

The service is also supposed to integrate Kinect so users can navigate using the sensors on the device. During E3, Microsoft’s head of Xbox Live, Marc Whitten revealed that “This is the year live television comes to Xbox 360.”

The company did not go into details such as the rumored product codename “Orapa” or other rumors such as the “diamond” level subscription service. However, the company did reveal that it will start with Bing and YouTube integration into the Xbox 360.

Console competitor, Sony, is already rumored to be working on a deal to bring Google TV to the PS3 which will integrate with YouTube and Google. Microsoft may be preemptively getting ready to roll out a competitive plan before Sony does.
The Google TV concept does not require Android or Chrome. It does require a webkit browser and extensive work to provide a UI that combines preconfigured searches as well as a Torne like DVR interface with a cable box DVR (RVU or AllVid).

Edit: "start with Bing and YouTube integration into the Xbox 360" This means a web browser is coming to the Xbox doesn't it?

http://hd.engadget.com/ IPTV can use webkit and 4K res support coming for TV and IPTV.

ESPN EVP and CTO Chuck Pagano opens a new facility, sees 4K sports on the horizon
By Richard Lawler posted Aug 5th 2011 at 4:11PM

over as the new home of SportsCenter. There's no word on exactly what tech ESPN is putting in, but with ESPN 3D already up and running and the 1080p-ready LA studios plus MPEG-4 broadcast equipment ready to go, it wasn't a shock to hear Chuck asked people to "get used to hearing the term 4K TV." If you're not familiar with the name, check after the break for an Engadget Show segment
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/57694-hbo-go-may-come-to-ps3-xbox-360-more
Now, it seems the HBO Go app may be getting optimized for TVs, allowing users to watch their favorite shows from their PS3, Xbox 360, Blu-ray player, Internet-connected TV, etc.

The second quarter 2011 results for Time Warner came out today and while news of a successful quarter intrigues investors, we're keying in on the always chatty CEO Jeff Bewkes' comments about new technology including HBO Go, UltraViolet and even Netflix. After a successful launch for HBO Go on mobile devices with more than four million downloads, it will expand to Brazil and Mexico by the end of the year and Asia next year while also streaming to more connected TVs and game consoles. Another platform getting some love is the long awaited "digital locker" UltraViolet (Listen to our podcast with the man in charge for more background), which will be included on the Blu-ray releases of Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses later this year and fully integrated with recent purchase Flixster; we'll finally find out if buy once, play anywhere is really as good as it sounds.
Ultraviolet which uses Marlin ultraviolet gstreamer player in the PS3 is finally going to be used. Gstreamer is part of the PS3 GTKwebkit support library.

Collabora Sponsored Gstreamer conference at the Linux kernel summit October 25th 2011 will cover the following topics. These are papers on finished projects for the most part. Last year porting Gstreamer to Android was covered and Sony announced Playstation Suite for Android, this year is a paper on Gstreamer to WebOS so I expect Sony to announce PS Suite now also includes WebOS. Gstreamer is a part of PS Suite needed to support a Marlin ultraviolet DRM gstreamer media player.
the long awaited "digital locker" UltraViolet (Listen to our podcast with the man in charge for more background), which will be included on the Blu-ray releases of Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses later this year and fully integrated with recent purchase Flixster;
I suspect that ultraviolet on many platforms will be released after gstreamer 1.0 is available "later this year" October.

We have a long list of topics to be presented like:

GStreamer 1.0
WebM and VP8
Pulse Audio development report
Designing complex pipelines with GStreamer
Blu-ray playback and GStreamer
GStreamer and WebOS
Updates on latest Xiph.org and Vorbis developments
GStreamer, Webkit and HTML5
Case studies on GStreamer product deployments
I'm looking forward to the October Gstreamer conference to see what Blu-ray playback and gstreamer means. Will the blu-ray player in the PS3 be replaced with a gstreamer version? It would support further cost cutting as Sony would not have to pay for a gstreamer player for any of their Players or the PS3.

I'll have more updates on Gstreamer 1.0 on this page as they become available as the Desktop summit is occurring now and Collabora is presenting progress on Gstreamer and the PiViTi video editor.

Gstreamer 1.0 has API changes and new features (3D support) that would break an application written with an older version. GTK 3.2 has API changes and new features also. These are reasons to wait for the release of Gstreamer 1.0 and GTK 3.2 before releasing a browser or applications using those tools on the PS3. To this date only some of the core gstreamer plugins have been used. Those will have to be updated. EDIT: This provides an opportunity to provide proof, games like Start The Party (if using gstreamer) and applications should require updates when Gstreamer 1.0 is finished and updated in the PS3.

Starting point for Gstreamer 1.0 information

Gstreamer 1.0
GStreamer 0.11 has just been officially released as the first development snapshot for what will turn into the notable GStreamer 1.0 release. (Plugins will have to be rewritten to comply with the changes.)

GStreamer 0.11 has a lot of internal work, including a reworked buffer memory management system, support for arbitrary buffer meta-data, integrated buffer-pool management, improved dynamic pipeline handling, reworked video caps system, reworked pad probes, and many bug-fixes.
"Development snapshot" means Sony can start implementing the changes needed to the plugins and testing.

GTK 3.2 available September 28th
Last November we reported on Broadway GTK+, which makes GTK+ programs accessible from the web-browser by taking advantage of HTML5 as a GTK+ back-end. The Broadway back-end will be merged in GTK+ 3.2 and the work continues to become more interesting.

Now that GNOME 3.0 / GTK+ 3.0 is out in the wild, work on GTK+ 3.2 is beginning to heat up. There's also lots of bug fixes and support for new features, like in-process cut and paste support. [/B]

There's another noteworthy GTK+ development release in the road to GTK+ 3.2. This new GTK+ 3.1.10 release integrates the Gail module, re-designed file chooser features, theming enhancements, and bug fixes.

Among the GTK+ 3.2 features already is the HTML5 Broadway back-end for rendering GTK+ applications to modern web browsers, various widget enhancements, a GtkLockButton widget with PolicyKit integration, and much more.

Integrating Gail is meant to bolster the tool-kit's accessibility support. The GNOME Accessibility Implementation Library implements the interfaces defined by the ATK project that up to this point lived in a separate module from GNOME's tool-kit.
Again, the information I am providing shows what Sony could do not what they will do. The wait for a browser release may be related to a wait for Gstreamer 1.0 and not a rewrite of the PS3 OS as I speculated.

Playstation job listings last 30 days

Speculation:

1) Sony is planning to release many IPTV applications for the PS3, they will be available for purchase and after purchase will be in the new My Channel XMB.

2) Sony is either expecting a large increase in PS3 users or is expanding Home support to other platforms.

You will be THE user interface designer on a movie/TV streaming application for PlayStation®3, your goal will be to design and prototype a consistent and logical architecture for the UI from a series of existing wireframes and style guides to further define the transitions, flow and animation to provide an intuitive user interface and experience.

The role will primarily be working on development and maintenance of a number of multimedia applications for retail and consumer initiatives using PlayStation®3. The role also involves design and implementation of any new elements or improvements to the application.
As well as the main project, the successful candidate will work on various other small scale applications and prototypes for the PlayStation®3.

The role involves the implementation of a JavaScript front-end UI for a movie/TV streaming application on the PlayStation®3. You will be part of a small team of JavaScript engineers responsible for the implementation of the UI to the specification outlined in the design. ...

Test Engineer
Job Type:
Permanent
Salary/Rate:
Dependent on experience
Date Posted:
07/07/2011
Department:
Home
Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Test Engineer to join its test team for PlayStation Home. Working as part of the development team, the job will involve analysing technical specification and design documentation for new PlayStation Home features, identifying what needs to be tested, feedbacking to the Code and Design teams, testing the feature during development and creating test documentation to be used by external QA houses. The ideal candidate will be a games enthusiast with extensive QA functionality experience, which will include some PS3 testing. He/she will have excellent test planning skills, a good eye for detail, be a good communicator and have great organisation and analytical skills. This position offers a great opportunity within a high profile SCE project.
Role Overview:
- Analysing technical specification and design documentation;
- Testing the PlayStation Home features during development;
- Providing feedback to the Design and Code teams;
- Creating and reviewing test documentation for PlayStation Home features;
- Reporting issues found on a bug tracking database;
- Assisting the development team.
Essential Experience/Skills:
- Extensive QA functionality experience;
- Experience creating test plans and other test documentation;
- Experience working on PS3 titles;
- Experience using bug tracking databases;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Great organisation and analytical skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to organise and prioritise his/her own time;
- Team player with a professional attitude.
Useful Experience/Skills:
- Experience using DevTrack and/or DevTest;
- Experience working in a development environment;
- ISEB/ISQTB Certified;
- Autodesk 3D Maya;
- Level Editing Tools;
- Test automation experience;
- Programming experience (Python or Lua preferred).

Server Developer
Job Type:
Permanent
Salary/Rate:
Dependent on experience
Date Posted:
28/07/2011
Department:
Home
• Designing and implementing technical solutions to meet feature requirements, primarily involving Java web services, but also leveraging existing internal and third party technology where applicable.
• Technical maintenance and support of the live systems.
We will be looking for a software developer with an ability and enthusiasm for delivering large-scale server applications to a production-ready state.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Implementing technical solutions
Candidate will be responsible for development through all of its phases, from requirements and design to production roll-out and test.
The candidate should demonstrate development practices such as unit testing and code reviews.
Job Requirements
The following skills and experience are necessary:
• BSc, MSc Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field - 1st or 2:1 preferred or equivalent experience.
• A degree of proficiency in Java EE development.
• Networking/Platforms: TCP/IP, HTTP, REST, Linux, Apache and Tomcat.
• Demonstrable competence with SQL and databases such as Oracle and MySQL.
• Familiarity with NoSQL concepts and systems such as Cassandra, CouchDB or Redis.
• Able to analyze, design and implement technical solutions to complex problems.
• Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues.
The following skills and experience are desirable:
• Experience working on large-scale network server applications.
• Experience in architecting scalable web services.
• Experience with the full development lifecycle (requirements to production).
• Experience with a framework such as Spring or Hibernate.
• Experience with a scripting language such as Python or Ruby.
• Familiarity with Unix OS basics.
• Interest (or previous experience) in the games industry.
I find it interesting that Python is common to both of the above yet we know Home is currently Lua and as I've speculated, now with Cairo bindings. Python is part of Gnome Mobile. Does this signal a shift to Python inside Sony? Vita UI might be Python (OLPC Sugar interface was), PiViTi video editor is Python.

Deegon

Banned
I don't understand the people being all vicious in this thread. I find jeff_rigby's post to be interesting and worth a read, even if it is speculation. There are far worse threads/posters with way less info to back up their claims/specualtion then mr. rigby's posts so I don't see why this thread should be locked.

I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about 3.70 update, if there's anything worth mentioning. I did note that it doesn't seem to feature the support update for the official headset so...3.7X soon to be incoming?

Semi-related question:

I remember hearing earlier in the year that the PS3 might possibly become a Google TV machine. Any news on this?

Deegon said:
I don't understand the people being all vicious in this thread. I find jeff_rigby's post to be interesting and worth a read, even if it is speculation. There are far worse threads/posters with way less info to back up their claims/specualtion then mr. rigby's posts so I don't see why this thread should be locked.

I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about 3.70 update, if there's anything worth mentioning. I did note that it doesn't seem to feature the support update for the official headset so...3.7X soon to be incoming?
maybe he should open a blog or something.

all this thread is at this point is Jeff posting random bullshit or job listings and speculating about stuff and every one and a while other people coming in and say something like "I havent a clue what your saying but I hope cross game chat arrives soon".

not alot of discussion going on. Normally a thread would have been locked at this point.

patsu

Instead of one long thread we can track or avoid, he will just start new threads each time something comes up. There are interesting tidbits here and there. So I'm not too concerned if he keeps the noise to signal ratio low.

androvsky

IsntChrisL said:
Semi-related question:

I remember hearing earlier in the year that the PS3 might possibly become a Google TV machine. Any news on this?
Google TV kinda crashed and burned since Google couldn't get content providers to sign up. Logitech reported more returns than sales in the last quarter on their Google TV box. Maybe if Google buys Hulu.

not alot of discussion going on. Normally a thread would have been locked at this point.
There's some discussion. I don't want to be too hard on him since I can understand wanting to completely nerd out on stuff sometimes, but he doesn't have nearly enough glue to hold much this together. Besides, like patsu said, he does find some interesting stuff sometimes. jeff_rigby was the one that found the website where Sony posts the source code to their PS3 webkit port, for example. I just happened to see the big update before he did.

Gstreamer is a part of PS Suite needed to support a Marlin ultraviolet DRM gstreamer media player.
1. I don't remember how you decided gstreamer was part of PS Suite, in fact, I don't recall any specifics regarding PS Suite getting out yet. If you have a link, I'd love to read it.

2. Ultraviolet uses a new container file format, CFF, that gstreamer doesn't support. Ultraviolet also uses new extensions to the mpeg-4 format too, apparently. gstreamer's going to be behind on that as well.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to agree that the BBC iPlayer is probably running on a more complete version of Sony's webkit, considering how slowly it still runs and how small the download is. It's obviously not using Netfront, but a more custom solution would run smoother.

androvsky said:
Google TV kinda crashed and burned since Google couldn't get content providers to sign up. Logitech reported more returns than sales in the last quarter on their Google TV box. Maybe if Google buys Hulu.
I remember hearing that Google TV was regrouping. Someone who does not want to be named, commented that the Google TV UI was terrible. RVU and AllVid + Google TV (UI rewritten) if it includes Torne like TV guides and media search routines would be I think a winner. Google TV might have been released prematurely.

That said, I can find no other source to confirm the rumor of Google TV coming to the PS3. Everything points to articles 1st quarter 2011 for release in the spring which has come and gone. Further I'm suspicious of any rumor that has Chrome or Android as part of it. It's possible to provide the same functionality with webkit except for the Android based apps available from the Google store. IF the rumor had stated it would be provided as a hybrid using platform tools I would have more faith in the rumor.

jeff_rigby was the one that found the website where Sony posts the source code to their PS3 webkit port, for example. I just happened to see the big update before he did.
Actually I didn't find it. The HTML5 coming to the PS3 discussion at Beyond 3D where I was arguing (Since March 2010) that Firmware 3.5 scheduled for October would contain and after, from observations of the size reductions in the two IPTV applications existing before 3.5, contained a HTML5 javascript engine to use for IPTV moved to proving I was correct. One method brought up by another poster was via a Sony LGPL disclosure and another poster provided a link to the Sony disclosure site that proved and provided even more information and confirmed my speculation.

In between March 2010 and October the discussion was pushed all over the place by criticisms of my position. All revolved around a webkit based javascript engine but provided by whom; Webkit, Adobe Flash, Adobe Air then proof that my original guess was correct. Criticism that affected the discussion the most was that Sony would not provide it, again I bought into the Sony is short sighted argument for a time.

No one, including myself, seriously looked at the First disclosure files until after androvsky posted about the second disclosure. I relied on the email I received from Geoff Levand that confirmed a Webkit browser "more coming" and mentioned it was a Cairo and POSIX port (I now take Geoff mentioning Cairo and Posix to be a hint-hint). I looked at the files in the second disclosure because androvsky did and I was pleased to see it confirmed the Google searches for a webkit browser using Cario and gstreamer I got from the Sony Snap site. We now had confirmation that a GTKwebkit browser was coming. Several months later I looked at the first disclosure for more than just the date and it also had the same information that it was a GTK target webkit using Cairo and gstreamer. I kicked myself a little and started really looking at the entire second disclosure for what I could find and the rest is in this thread.

Point is I learned my lesson and REALLY dug into the Sony required disclosure. No one else is doing that and arguments still revolve around Sony being short sighted. In researching what/who/when the libraries supporting webkit I discovered the information in this thread that Sony since November 2007 has been looking into and before 2009 planning the webkit port to the PS3.

The rumors of Google TV coming to the PS3 several years ago had me excited as the research on Android had me recognizing that the compiled to native language support libraries could be used by Sony to support applications on the PS3. Looking at webkit support libraries had me making the same conclusion, Webkit support libraries could be used to support applications on the PS3. Further, grossly the models for Android and Webkit javascript engine + support libraries were nearly identical. Javascript could do the same things that Android could do and just as fast provided it was optimized and had support libraries integrated into the operating system. An example of this is Cairo which is supported with OpenGL or PSGL in the PS3. The speculation based on this is in this thread as well as the proof for Sony 2011 networked platforms like TVs and blu-ray players.

The PS3 does have in addition to all the main webkit support libraries found in those 2011 TVs and blu ray players a full webkit browser (instead of Opera) and GTK toolkit libraries. In addition the PS3 is openGL (hardware accelerated) rather than Frame Buffer. All these are facts, what Sony does with the libraries and how much they are integrated with the PS3 OS is speculation.

1. I don't remember how you decided gstreamer was part of PS Suite, in fact, I don't recall any specifics regarding PS Suite getting out yet. If you have a link, I'd love to read it.
The idea that PS Suite would contain support for Sony media is not mine. Again, the person on Beyond 3D who does not want to be named in this thread came up with this idea; it fits perfectly as a Sony business model and is supported by /XX/ discoveries also in this thread. A store to sell media as well as Games is part of "our" PS Suite model. Sony is leveraging the attraction of their games to provide a foot in the door of other peoples ecosystem.
2. Ultraviolet uses a new container file format, CFF, that gstreamer doesn't support. Ultraviolet also uses new extensions to the mpeg-4 format too, apparently gstreamer's going to be behind on that as well.
Gstreamer used to support the Marlin ultraviolet DRM player is another branch of gstreamer that is not disclosed. It does require support from the platform developer. The low level gstreamer core is identical but the player is custom gstreamer DRM. Support by Sony for ultraviolet media is only needed for the PS3, Android, Linux handhelds and iOS. Microsoft is providing the ultraviolet DRM players on Windows platforms (not a gstreamer player). Platform developers can provide Marlin gstreamer DRM independent of Sony but for PS Suite certifications I am guessing that Sony will require it. I'd refer you to the information/link I provided for Marlin DRM in this thread and thanks for the link to new ultraviolet information.

Notice that the last piece of ultraviolet support is going to be in place with Gstreamer 1.0 and WebOS support mentioned in the Collabora Oct 25th 2011 discussion/paper. Ultraviolet can soon be on all platforms and we will start to see advertising as well as PS Suite finally going forward. There may be no gstreamer platform support by Apple for iOS and I don't know how that is going to be resolved.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to agree that the BBC iPlayer is probably running on a more complete version of Sony's webkit, considering how slowly it still runs and how small the download is. It's obviously not using Netfront, but a more custom solution would run smoother.
I don't have access to the BBCiplayer so I can't comment here but I hope/doubt the "slow" is due to the Sony webkit browser. CairoGL/javascript engine is VERY fast at draws as witnessed by the Netfix update that switched from CairoFB provided by Netflix to CairoGL provided by Sony. For a time, until Netflix fixed it by adding delays or a halt till media fill completion, the box draw routines outpaced the Media fill by about 5:1.

By the way Hulu was only 2 megs not the BBCiplayer 4 megs. It may only use the javascript engine too but support for SGLite database may be in the PS3 now and being used which would be another feature of HTML5 supported by the javascript engine. The features supported by BBCiplayer would determine if more webkit is being used and I can only use information provided by others. The EU BBCiplayer tester who emailed me before release about the imminent release is browser knowlegeable and his info after release is cut and pasted into my post. He was very careful to follow NDA rules as was Geoff in his email to me.

Edit: The 2 meg size of Hulu must contain custom Sony code to setup a framework to call and use javascript and gstreamer inside it. When GTKwebkit becomes active this might reduce in size though some digital key to allow the program to run on the PS3 is needed.

deegon said:
Nor do I. I would guess my S/N ratio is about 8:1 but that's still to be proved. I do cite to provide support for my position and that allows others to keep up (if they read the cites) and for the more informed to correct me if I'm wrong. Both Patsu and androvsky are more cautious but post more often than I do. Their posts are generally facts gleaned with "Google searches" but with little speculation. Occasionally volunteered speculation is generally outside the box thinking with a S/N ratio that is probably higher than mine.

Withnail

IMO this is the most interesting thread on GAF and jeff_rigby does a good job of finding information. Some of it is probably irrelevant but he has also found some good stuff. I'm convinced there is a lot of development happening "behind the scenes" with the PS3 OS and it's fun to speculate.

I'm not sure why some people get so annoyed by it, I think they just want to be told when/if they are getting a new browser and don't understand or care about the technical details, but nobody is being forced to read the thread. Locking it would be unfair, though it might be better to change the thread title to something like "PS3 OS Speculation" or something.

Withnail said:
IMO this is the most interesting thread on GAF and jeff_rigby does a good job of finding information. Some of it is probably irrelevant but he has also found some good stuff. I'm convinced there is a lot of development happening "behind the scenes" with the PS3 OS and it's fun to speculate.

I'm not sure why some people get so annoyed by it, I think they just want to be told when/if they are getting a new browser and don't understand or care about the technical details, but nobody is being forced to read the thread. Locking it would be unfair, though it might be better to change the thread title to something like "PS3 OS Speculation" or something.
Yes, it is fun provided it's not taken too seriously. Perhaps change to: PS3 GTKwebkit disclosures lead to PS3 OS upgrade speculation and Sony World Domination plan

No one is commenting about my off topic <gesh> post for Sony closing two weeks this month due to a Government enforced power shutdown on Sony. This month is Gamescom and we already see that the BBCiPlayer was released early because of this....is this going to impact Sony - Gamescom?

No one is commenting on Sony hiring a Software test engineer for Home servers with job requirements that read like a browser test engineer.

I apparently can't act as a straight man if no one picks up on the line.

T-0800 said:
Jeff, are you from Australia?
No, I'm 60 with several deaths in the family I had to discover so my sleep schedule is pretty much shot. I'm guessing that you were looking at post times.

Really I have to shake my head at many of the posts....such anger and celebration of ignorance. Life is too short to be so serious sometimes.

Believe it or not I appreciate being corrected because I learn something new. There is no ego in my posts other than my name attached and I don't' want to reflect badly on it so I make an effort to be correct. Sometimes I post without thinking everything through and I get jumped on, which I deserve <grin>.

jeff_rigby said:
No, I'm 60 with several deaths in the family I had to discover so my sleep schedule is pretty much shot. I'm guessing that you were looking at post times.

Really I have to shake my head at many of the posts....such anger and celebration of ignorance. Life is too short to be so serious sometimes.

Believe it or not I appreciate being corrected because I learn something new. There is no ego in my posts other than my name attached and I don't' want to reflect badly on it so I make an effort to be correct. Sometimes I post without thinking everything through and I get jumped on, which I deserve <grin>.
Sorry for your lost...btw I check this thread almost everyday to see with you found or whatever..Keep up the good work =D .

Labadal

I can no longer visit neoGAF on my PS3. i just get some weird shit on the screen when I visit here. Anyone else having this problem? It is very strange, because I remember visiting here on the PS3 a long time ago.

Labadal said:
I can no longer visit neoGAF on my PS3. i just get some weird shit on the screen when I visit here. Anyone else having this problem? It is very strange, because I remember visiting here on the PS3 a long time ago.
Turn off javascript and refresh refresh refresh

I just wanted to pop in and add to the Jeff praise.

Now I don’t know a lot about the tech side of things that this thread deals with but even for me this thread is always a very interesting read and makes me more interested in learning more about this side of games consoles.

I honestly find it disgusting how much shit you have had to put up with from some people. It’s not like people are being forced to read your thread when there is an update, it’s not like because of your thread there isn’t room for another great thread, its not like many subjects get countless recycled every week yet people give them a pass. If you don’t find this thread interesting just stay away, this is just 1 thread out of thousands yet there is apparently no room for it according to some out there.

Keep up the good work Jeff and know that there are some who can appreciate your effort to help inform people of possible developments in the OS side of the PS3.

Dirtyshubb said:
I just wanted to pop in and add to the Jeff praise.

Now I don’t know a lot about the tech side of things that this thread deals with but even for me this thread is always a very interesting read and makes me more interested in learning more about this side of games consoles.

I honestly find it disgusting how much shit you have had to put up with from some people. It’s not like people are being forced to read your thread when there is an update, it’s not like because of your thread there isn’t room for another great thread, its not like many subjects get countless recycled every week yet people give them a pass. If you don’t find this thread interesting just stay away, this is just 1 thread out of thousands yet there is apparently no room for it according to some out there.

Keep up the good work Jeff and know that there are some who can appreciate your effort to help inform people of possible developments in the OS side of the PS3.
Some of the criticism is because it appears as if "it's my thread". I assure you if others would step up I'd not only enjoy the thread more but post less.

Withnail

Labadal said:

PetriP-TNT said:
Turn off javascript and refresh refresh refresh

Another solution is to use the mobile version of GAF at http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf

It avoids that problem with the garbled text and in some ways is better than normal GAF for TV browsing anyway.

jeff_rigby said:
Some of the criticism is because it appears as if "it's my thread". I assure you if others would step up I'd not only enjoy the thread more but post less.
I can understand that side of it for some peoples opinions, but at the same time so what?

If you are coming up with interesting information and speculation and people are still willing to read then for me that isn’t a bad thing, I mean there are only over 700 posts yet over 80,000 views which to me shows that even though the post count isn’t high it is still a popular thread and deserves to here.

There can be too much hate form some posters on Gaf and its really sad, as long as a thread still has worth why complain? As I said this is just 1 thread out of thousands yet there isn’t room for it?

Maybe another title change would benefit you from criticism but if they know this thread enough to moan about it then they know it enough to stay away if they aren’t happy with it.

Once again great job and keep up the good work for as long as you can be bothered as I know I wouldn’t have had this determination :)

T-0800

jeff_rigby said:
No, I'm 60 with several deaths in the family I had to discover so my sleep schedule is pretty much shot. I'm guessing that you were looking at post times. >.

No not at all. I'm from Australia and there was a guy at my school (school was over 20 years ago mind you) with your name. You never know....

btw I'm a 'fan' of this topic. Regardless of whether you are close to the mark I'd just like to say I admire your passion for this stuff.

Top Bottom