• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS360] Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi Trailer (Spike x Manga style)

Takao

Banned
Here's an interview with Spike staff that confirms GT characters alongside other things (Oozaru is NPC). They look younger than I'd expect them to be.

Takao

Banned
From the rest of the interview, it appears this will be Spike's last Dragon Ball video game. There will be an all-new hand drawn opening (against Spike's usual CG openings), and there will not be Dragon Ball characters. However, a free roam explore mode is included.

f@luS

More than a member.
all screen : meh

this one :
268033_10150240563250629_49054165628_7198670_4432820_n.jpg

nice

Beth Cyra

Watched some gameplay videos and I got to say I'm not feeling it at all.

I much prefer the BT 2 setup where I could just dodge/block or stuff the incoming special's all on my own. The popup to do something in the middle of an attack like a quick time event got old real fast watching it.

Also the chase looks like it will be even more annoying with it becoming a quick time event as well.

TreIII

Backflip said:
I recorded a Broly vs Trunks fight at Japan Expo last saturday. Here is the video for those of you who would like to see it: http://www.jv247.com/2011/07/japan-expo-2011-dbz-ultimate-tenkaichi/

I think the game looks better live than on screenshots.

Hm. Just as I "feared": it really seems like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm has done a lot to inspire a possible new generation of Anime-fighters being turned into QTE-fests. Good for those who dig it, bad for guys like me who prefer doing things manually.

Ah, well. Hopefully, at least the likes of Gundam Extreme Vs. and the Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale arcade game will remain the way they are.

Guess I was late to the announcement on this one.

I'm not a big fan of the tenkaichi games, but this really does look pretty neat to me. If they fix the problems the other games had like stupid invisible walls locking you in the arena, this might be pretty fun.

that said, i'm super glad to hear that this is spike's last DBZ game, and i pray to god that dimps will get back in the saddle for next year and beyond.

Backflip

TreIII said:
Hm. Just as I "feared": it really seems like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm has done a lot to inspire a possible new generation of Anime-fighters being turned into QTE-fests. Good for those who dig it, bad for guys like me who prefer doing things manually.

Ah, well. Hopefully, at least the likes of Gundam Extreme Vs. and the Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale arcade game will remain the way they are.

There were "QTE-style" events in the old Budokai games. Ultimate Tenkaichi's attacks reminded me of those.

Takao

Banned
TreIII said:

Yes, I am not liking this trend either. I once saw video of that Naruto game where all of the combat was done in a QTE cutscene, because that's fun...

Nix

Banned
Ok. I'm gonna say it. It doesn't look fun- at all. I was hoping for something more in the vein of legend of goku on the DS, because I find that after Tenkaichi 3, the series has just stagnated. Even the tenkaichi series, seemed like a step down from budokai. I'll keep on looking out for it, because I like DBZ, but with the dissapointment that has been RB+2, I don't think I'll actually be getting it.

BiggNife

Those screenshots don't look terrible, but then I look at how pretty Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 looks and wish there was a DBZ game that looked like that.

Teknoman

Backflip said:
There were "QTE-style" events in the old Budokai games. Ultimate Tenkaichi's attacks reminded me of those.

Yup, Budokai 3 had all sorts of QTEs. Wasnt it confirmed that this would feature the original show's music (JP/english Kai version)?

And they seriously need to look at the game's netcode. The combination of a fun battle system and a decent online mode would be great.

Takao

Banned
autobzooty said:
that said, i'm super glad to hear that this is spike's last DBZ game, and i pray to god that dimps will get back in the saddle for next year and beyond.

Part of me hopes this just won't be the last Dragon Ball game we get for some time. Since, it's looking like that could really be the case.

Teknoman said:
Yup, Budokai 3 had all sorts of QTEs. Wasnt it confirmed that this would feature the original show's music (JP/english Kai version)?

Yes, it will feature the score from the Japanese version of Z (they're washing their hands of Kai's music after the scandal). Previously all of Spike's games used music from the show, they were just removed during localization.

Takao said:
Part of me hopes this just won't be the last Dragon Ball game we get for some time. Since, it's looking like that could really be the case.

Yes, it will feature the score from the Japanese version of Z (they're washing their hands of Kai's music after the scandal). Previously all of Spike's games used music from the show, they were just removed during localization.

it's been an annual franchise for so long, do you really think they'd change that? i thought they were all selling pretty well...

plus there aint necessarily anything wrong with a longer dev cycle if they need to take a bit more time to figure out what to do with the series.

kunonabi

Looks like BT3 will remain at the top of the DBZ heap for me. Not a fan of the QTEs or cutting characters.

Why they couldn't just take BT3 and add to it is beyond me.

Takao

Banned
SalsaShark said:
so the super new game reveal was.. another tenkaichi?

alright

Hm? We've known about this game for a while now. Previously it was under the name "Project Age 2011".

autobzooty said:
it's been an annual franchise for so long, do you really think they'd change that? i thought they were all selling pretty well...

plus there aint necessarily anything wrong with a longer dev cycle if they need to take a bit more time to figure out what to do with the series.

Sales for RB2 were less than RB's despite Kai being on the air, and having the OVA. Sales for Dragon Ball merchandise in general has been on the decline for a while. I'm thinking we may soon hit the point in which Japan got in the late 90s, where Final Bout was the last Dragon Ball game released for years.

Teknoman

Takao said:

Thats what I mean, will the English version of the game have the Japanese score?

Salsa

Takao said:
Hm? We've known about this game for a while now. Previously it was under the name "Project Age 2011".

guess i was out of the loop. I remember hearing/reading something about a game with a codename (probably that one) that it was gonna be different and groundbreaking blabla

oh well

SalsaShark said:
guess i was out of the loop. I remember hearing/reading something about a game with a codename (probably that one) that it was gonna be different and groundbreaking blabla

oh well

yeah that's what they said lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No more Spike games! Let Dimps do them, they're always better. Hell, even that recent 2 v 2 arcade game looks better than this gash.

I'd rather efforts had been focussed on bringing over that actually canonical Dragonball Online than another cacky Tenkaichi.

Desmond

Takao said:
Yes, I am not liking this trend either. I once saw video of that Naruto game where all of the combat was done in a QTE cutscene, because that's fun...
QTEs only appear in boss battles, as cinematic finishers. I liked them.

I wasn't a fan of the RB games. This looks good however

Takao

Banned
Pie and Beans said:
No more Spike games! Let Dimps do them, they're always better. Hell, even that recent 2 v 2 arcade game looks better than this gash.

I'd rather efforts had been focussed on bringing over that actually canonical Dragonball Online than another cacky Tenkaichi.

We'll probably get Dragon Ball Online in 5 years. Some Digimon MMO based on season 5 of the show is only now coming out in English.

I'd die for a localization of Ultimate Butoden. The game looks so good, and it's GameRepublic's last great game. :(

autobzooty said:
yeah that's what they said lol

Haha, yes "The new age of Dragon Ball!". The Spike guys in the interviews said they couldn't talk about that yet. I'm not even sure what that means...

Teknoman said:
Thats what I mean, will the English version of the game have the Japanese score?

European version is confirmed to have Japanese score. We currently don't know about the North American version, but I have to imagine so.

Though I'm going to miss Yamamotto's scores. They may have been plagiarized, but god damn if he didn't create some nice tracks.

StalkerUKCG said:
Any word on a rumoured character count? Release date? Special Edition? What if Characters or scenarios?

We don't know about character count, or what if things. Spike said they can't talk about that yet. Release date is October 25 in North America. There probably won't be a Special Edition for the US, but Europe has received special editions for like the past 6 main Dragon Ball games, so they probably will. Europe also has the preorder bonus of the Capsule Corp pen.

Takao said:
Haha, yes "The new age of Dragon Ball!". The Spike guys in the interviews said they couldn't talk about that yet. I'm not even sure what that means...

Vita Launch title with cross play and cloud saving and touchscreen KaMeHaMeHa?

Takao

Banned
madmaxx350 said:
Vita Launch title with cross play and cloud saving and touchscreen KaMeHaMeHa?

Touchscreen Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha...

Vita version is possible I guess. Major draw would be that Vita version could have giant characters (like Oozaru) playable because the reason Spike made them NPCs was because of split screen, and trying to fit them in there.

I wish they could have expanded on the combat system that Dragon Ball Z: The Legend used. To this day, that game has the truest feel at replicating DBZ fights in my opinion. This game looks cool graphics wise, but I just don't like the way the fighting seems.

StickSoldier said:
I wish they could have expanded on the combat system that Dragon Ball Z: The Legend used. To this day, that game has the truest feel at replicating DBZ fights in my opinion. This game looks cool graphics wise, but I just don't like the way the fighting seems.

I actually feel Budokai 3 was the best replication of DBZ fights and it let you do most of the moves manually with a lot less qte then the Tenkaichi games

madmaxx350 said:
I actually feel Budokai 3 was the best replication of DBZ fights and it let you do most of the moves manually with a lot less qte then the Tenkaichi games

some people mentioned this in the last thread but it's worth mentioning again:

if you have any kind of appreciation for Budokai 3, do yourself a favor and go pick up Infinite World. You can thank me later.

Junior so i cant start a new thread.

Boxart has been released makes a change from the normal dragonball games. Goku looks a little wide but i like it.

216775_262130637131384_113299055347877_1227723_4634330_n.jpg

185249_262130660464715_113299055347877_1227724_6847683_n.jpg

Reknoc

Takao said:

What was this?

Reknoc said:
What was this?

DBZ Kai's soundtrack was plagiarized from some western films or something. they had already aired the whole show on nickelodeon with that soundtrack, as well as released 52 episodes of it on DVD and Blu-Ray. after they found out, they went back and replaced all the music (except the opening theme) with the original japanese score.

a very sad day for those of us that liked the new music.

Teknoman

Didnt Budokai 3 have more QTEs than any DBZ game?

EDIT: LOL the trailer on the official UT english site just shows the DBZ tag team trailer from PSP.

Reknoc

autobzooty said:
DBZ Kai's soundtrack was plagiarized from some western films or something. they had already aired the whole show on nickelodeon with that soundtrack, as well as released 52 episodes of it on DVD and Blu-Ray. after they found out, they went back and replaced all the music (except the opening theme) with the original japanese score.

a very sad day for those of us that liked the new music.

Oh wow, jeez. That said I still to this day think Dragonball Z used music from The Real Ghostbusters.

Teknoman said:
Didnt Budokai 3 have more QTEs than any DBZ game?

yeah, but they were all delegated to a single mechanic of the game (the dragon rush). it was a pretty easy aspect to ignore, and they removed it with the release of Infinite World. people's complaint with Ultimate Tenkaichi seems to be how pervasive QTEs are, as they're peppered through the entire fight.

Top Bottom