• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4’s 4.00 update is coming soon. Adds folders, Trophy enhancements, UI refresh and m

Joey Ravn

Banned
It seems I didn't get in. Why don't they do an open beta or something like the Insider Program on Windows 10? I'll never fully understand console gaming... :(

Behlel

I'm the same, I've been a member for many years but I'm not convinced that being able to access the Beta forum means that we'll have access to this Beta. Maybe we will but I 'm not sure the two are necessarily tied in together.

Just read the forum dude, they said that us (the BT) doesn't need to sign up for the firmware beta because we are in. If we doesn't get the code you can contact the beta manager.

System Software Beta

Sign up starts soon for the public, all beta members will be included so no need to sign up.

A post made 3 weeks ago on the private forum.

It seems I didn't get in. Why don't they do an open beta or something like the Insider Program on Windows 10? I'll never fully understand console gaming... :(

why not just wait for the release? a beta has a lot of risks and zero benefits

I'll never understand beta applicants... :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
why not just wait for the release? a beta has a lot of risks and zero benefits

I'll never understand beta applicants... :(

Eh. I don't think Sony would push a beta with "a lot of risks". What "risks" are you speaking of, exactly? It may be not as ironed out as a final release, sure, but nothing that could break your system. Almost everything is in "beta" right now, really.

As for why not waiting for release... Why not? It's something new and I want to try it. I'm not complaining about the quality of the beta release. I don't care if it's unstable or if it's missing features. I want to try a product in development.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sorry if this has been asked already but is it just games we can put in folders or can i put all the sony stuff like playstation video/sharefactory etc in a folder? i don't use any of them and i'd rather just have all my games on display and not in a folder.

Diablos

My question is if the UI will stop being so sluggish and also glitchy, for example the overlay for pics and videos crashing in the store when you try to view pics while a video is playing.

And yeah the responsiveness of the UI is notably slower to me since I bought my console.

All of the new features are welcome improvements, I just hope they can address performance too.

The UI has been quick and glitch free from day 1 (except for the ps store not loading at times, unless I log out then log in again) and remains like that on my launch ps4 console. After my nephew bought his Xbox One (and then sold it for a ps4), it is clear that this is one area the ps4 UI is superior to the Xbox One UI.

Wonko_C

Eh. I don't think Sony would push a beta with "a lot of risks". What "risks" are you speaking of, exactly? It may be not as ironed out as a final release, sure, but nothing that could break your system. Almost everything is in "beta" right now, really.

As for why not waiting for release... Why not? It's something new and I want to try it. I'm not complaining about the quality of the beta release. I don't care if it's unstable or if it's missing features. I want to try a product in development.

It could brick your console, even "finished" updates have done so in the past. There was that one time a PS3 update bricked a few consoles. I always wait for impressions before updating.

LordOfChaos

My question is if the UI will stop being so sluggish and also glitchy, for example the overlay for pics and videos crashing in the store when you try to view pics while a video is playing.

And yeah the responsiveness of the UI is notably slower to me since I bought my console.

All of the new features are welcome improvements, I just hope they can address performance too.

I was wondering if there were any performance tweaks too. My UI isn't what I'd call sluggish, but there are lots of areas with framerate drops, which is a bit ironic for what the device is, lol. I guess it's because the OS only uses one and a bit of a Jaguar core?

JP

Just read the forum dude, they said that us (the BT) doesn't need to sign up for the firmware beta because we are in. If we doesn't get the code you can contact the beta manager.

A post made 3 weeks ago on the private forum.
To be honest was more about it working the opposite way, I didn't think that it meant that people who have access to the beta forum will necessarily not have access to the beta. I've no idea how they're doing this now but beta access in the past has rolled out during the day and I know that there;s been issues with people who do have access not getting access to the forum at the same time. I know there's been a few beta threads about that.

I don't think people should rule out that they'll be testing the beta just because they don't yet have access to the beta forum, I don't think that they're necessarily the same thing.
Just received my code, downloading now.
Just got back from my run to see that mine's turned up too. :)

For people who are understandably nervous about testing this stuff, in previous firmware betas there was the option to revert back to the full release firmware and uninstall the beta version. I've haven't downloaded it yet so I can't confirm if this is the same but that's the way it's been previously.

Metfanant

So people are saying on reddit if you can see the forums for this link you're in the beta. Sadly it says denied for me anyone else get a result?

Edit: U.S. Link only that I know of.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-System-Software-4/bd-p/PS4_4_00_beta

Is this confirmed? Because I can see the forum

Any US people get their emails yet?
No email in US yet, but I can see the forum at the link above...I've also been in all of the betas so far...

Alista

Invites are going out now it seems, just got mine and my code
3oFueay.jpg

You can now transfer from PS4 to PS4, Getting ready for that Neo.

Yeah, I also noticed that they've added the ability to post screenshots straight from the Share Menu to the Community Wall.

720p/60fps streaming is in the notes too, that's new, right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Top Bottom