• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4’s 4.00 update is coming soon. Adds folders, Trophy enhancements, UI refresh and m

Gator86

Nope. You can name them and order what is in inside them. Nothing to do icons from what I can see.

Seems about right for Sony. Hopefully, Modus, or others, can update their themes quickly to make some good looking folder icons. The pics with all the cover arts in them look kind of shitty.

What do you have against just putting the option right there like the PS3 instead of deep in a menu so it's more convenient?

I don't, it's just highly exaggerated as if its a feature that takes so much more time when its in another screen. It's really not that deep. It takes 4 second to turn off your smartphone which doesn't even have other menus. Like? if anything adding it to the top first would be much better. Its not that inconvenient as some of yall are making it out to be.

RS4-

It just isn't as smooth and snappy as shit on the Xbox. Trophies, browsing the store, etc.

Get party invite -> go to party screen -> wait a few seconds, accept, wait some more to get back into the game blah blah. I'll wait and see how this 4.00 update goes.

As well as posting media directly to your wall, Sony have extended the maximum video recording length to 1 hour:

Code:
30 sec
01 min
03 min
05 min
10 min
15 min
30 min
60 min

FINALLY. The 15 minute limit was way too short. Any idea if they've increased the max bitrate over Twitch?

It just isn't as smooth and snappy as shit on the Xbox. Trophies, browsing the store, etc.

Get party invite -> go to party screen -> wait a few seconds, accept, wait some more to get back into the game blah blah. I'll wait and see how this 4.00 update goes.

Things that have to connect online could be a bit snappier, I agree. But overall the UI is really smooth and snappy.

It's certainly not "slow as fuck". That's PS3.

DieH@rd

Banned
Are you sure you're talking about the right system? Or even the right company?

He is talking about very specific part of a lightning fast UI that has very small server-induced latency [why described that short lag as "slow as fuck" I don't know... maybe his sex sessions last that long ;) ].

I don't, it's just highly exaggerated as if its a feature that takes so much more time when its in another screen. It's really not that deep. It takes 4 second to turn off your smartphone which doesn't even have other menus. Like? if anything adding it to the top first would be much better. Its not that inconvenient as some of yall are making it out to be.
It's just more important to me than it is to you, that's all. The battery life of the DS4 is always on my mind because of how poor it is, and since I use my PS4 for media a ton, having a less cumbersome way to turn off the controller means a lot to me. And having this new customizable menu would have been perfect for it.

Things that have to connect online could be a bit snappier, I agree. But overall the UI is really smooth and snappy.

It's certainly not "slow as fuck". That's PS3.

Yep online things could a be a little faster but otherwise the UI smooth and snappy .
The only problem left was it being to full of icons and this update should take care of that .

Danlord

Long shot, but is the Twitter video share option fixed to allow longer videos?

It's in the OP, and the blog post announcement but yeah.

Share Menu
We’ve given a similar overhaul to the Share Menu, which appears once you press the Share button on your DualShock 4. Like the Quick Menu, it only covers a portion of the screen. It will save the last social network you shared video clips or screenshots to, making the process of sharing a screenshot or video a bit faster and more streamlined.

You can also upload longer video clips to Twitter (was 10 seconds, now up to 140 seconds).

DieH@rd

Banned
Can anyone confirm how the other themes are working with fw 4.0? For example that white-silver 20th Anniversary theme [especially popup windows].

Kyoufu

As soon as you accept the party invite you can press the PS button to get back to whatever you were doing.

DieH@rd

Banned
@RS4-, you can accelerate OS browsing if you use "double tap" function of PS Button [switching between current and previously used "app/screen"].

Rellik

Can anyone confirm how the other themes are working with fw 4.0? For example that white-silver 20th Anniversary theme [especially popup windows].

I'm not seeing much difference in the themes.

The only thing is the folder icons are blue on all themes. The Quick Menu does change colour to the theme.

Wollan

Made a Demos folder. Cool.
Everything is a bit more screen-estate and load efficient.
The new themes react to movement.
What's New is more structured.

My surface impressions.

I saw the trophy triangle, separate community tab, hidden trophies info which is all nice but doesn't change everyday life.

8bitghost

BTW, is this 1hr recording active for the DVR [automatic recording], or just for the manual video recording?

Sorry, only repeating what users have shared on Reddit. I didn't get invited on this occasion.

EDIT: Here's another...

So after checking out the new update, I finally realized a major change. There are no more autoplaying broadcasts or videos/ screenshots when pressing down while being in the dashboard. All media no has their own seperate tab, labelled "Trending"

I hope in a future update they change it to 5 seconds. It's actually quicker--though more work--to dive through the menu to turn off the controller instead of holding the button for 10 seconds. Plus, 5 seconds is the standard for manually turning off computers (at least it used to be from what I remember).

I know you need to hold the button to even bring up the menu, but it's only for a second or two. So, if you're holding for 5 seconds, it's likely you meant to hold it at least that long to turn off the controller. Plus, it's not hard to turn it back on if you did it accidentally.

If any Sony peeps are reading this...listen to this man.

Top Bottom