• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.5 Update File is apparently up on update servers

Hoo-doo

Banned
So downloading this to a USB device to update to 1.5 on launch day is now possible? That's fucking awesome.

The servers are going to be battered hard that day, very smart to let people download this in advance.

LCfiner

This is good. I was a little nervous about how update servers would hold up on launch day. Now I can just update over USB

bigmf

I wouldn't touch the thing until the 13th, at the earliest. It's probably there to test the update systems and make sure things will go fine for launch. Until Sony has had their way with the thing, I'd stay away. I can't see why anyoe would want it before the 13th anyway.

I'm just going to do the normal update over the internet on the 15th. I figure the worst case is that the download takes 10-15 minutes.

salromano

As others have suggested, I would wait until Sony puts this out officially to download. The version that's on the server now could be a test or something along those lines. Maybe not the final version.

Ashler

This is how you deal with possible launch update issues. Are you taking notes Nintendo?

Could have saved me hours of waiting...

Krakn3Dfx

Says a lot about where Sony is development wise that they've got their launch FW update already available to the public, holy crap.

just imagine if hackers managed to hack the update file before the release of the consoles, it would a disaster for sony. i hope that the security of the console is much better than the PS3.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
just imagine if hackers managed to hack the update file before the release of the consoles, it would a disaster for sony. i hope that the security of the console is much better than the PS3.

I would imagine new encryption keys are in place and without that not much you can do. Just in this thread it was reported that it's not encoded the same way as PS3 .PUP files.

Radec

-The update is ready
-My internet is ready
-My TV is ready
-My dog is ready
-My Killzone:SF is ready
-My body is ready

Only the PS4 ain't.

Skeff

Oddly enough the PS3 is the most secure console of the generation, it just so happens when the keys were released a bigger fuss was made than other consoles.

Chucker

I started making room for it in my media cabinet on the weekend.

Yup. I have the HDMI hooked up, input labeled and space cleared out. I'll download this when I get home from work so that when I leave work early on the 15th for my birthday it will be a PS4 party ASAP.

Megasoum

Banned
So what do the OS team do now then? I thought it was all last minute panicking?

1-I REALLLLY doubt the firmware up right now is the final version that will be downloaded on launch day

2-Even if it was, 3 week prior is still much more last minute that 3 months prior (what's on the deck when you get it out of the box).

Skeff

Bugs.
Suspend-to-Resume.
Wallpaper.
Gaikai.
PSN.
Further integration with external services.
Misc. stuff.

The job's not done.

This, the Jobs never done for the OS.

Even when all planned features are implemented then they're going to be trying to bring down the resources the OS is using(Ram+CPU) so that in the future they can either make more available to games or have more to budget for other OS tasks.

rawd

Yup. I have the HDMI hooked up, input labeled and space cleared out. I'll download this when I get home from work so that when I leave work early on the 15th for my birthday it will be a PS4 party ASAP.

Ooh forgot about that, thanks... Custom name for the HDMI input on my audio receiver + pick an HDMI port on the receiver, of course.

Megasoum

Banned
Why did they skip all the way to version 1.5. Seems a little premature.

Because every version before that have been used already? It's not like the firmware on release day is the first one on any consoles... Devs have been using the console with different versions of the firmware for over a year now.

andycapps

Surprised they're putting this out so soon, honestly. I wonder if they'll have another patch in a couple weeks. I'm sure they're not just going to stop working on new things. The good thing is that since the PS4 can install updates in the background, it really shouldn't matter when new firmware goes live.

bigmf

I think they should have done their firmware numbering so that the day one patch was numbered 1.0. That's just me being over anal-retentive or obsessive about the thing though. (My volume level has to be an even number when I'm watching tv.)

Skeff

I think they should have done their firmware numbering so that the day one patch was numbered 1.0. That's just me being over anal-retentive or obsessive about the thing though. (My volume level has to be an even number when I'm watching tv.)

But what would the console ship with 0.8? doesn't seem right, 1.0 should be the shipping OS for me.

Top Bottom