• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.5 Update File is apparently up on update servers

That is interesting that they are already offering the Update File. They could still be optimizing and working on the OS. I guess they are confident at this point.

I wonder when you can download the update for the other console?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That is interesting that they are already offering the Update File. They could still be optimizing and working on the OS. I guess they are confident at this point.
Of course they'll be continuing to work on and optimize the OS, for quite a few post release updates for years to come, just like we've seen the PS3, PSP and Vita.

kaskade

I'm glad they are doing this. I'm sure day one the servers are going to be pretty slammed. I'd rather just plug in a flash drive and be ready to go.

Yeah, but they've already committed to the feature list of 1.5, so there's really no need for them to forcefully crank out more if they've got 1.5 done.

At this stage, it's not like delaying the update by a week would allow them to patch in the missing stuff, so they may as well finish their 1.5 build ready for the review event.

I dont know why people are surprised they are putting the firmware on their website. Sony always puts the firmware update on the update page of the console.

Vestal

Gold Member
The news is that it's finished, not that it exists.

More like there is a file that could be the 1.5 retail fw update.

For all we know this could just be ment for dev units for testing and could possibly brick a retail unit.

I would wait until it's officially released.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
grabbing it now... PS3 updates are NOTORIOUSLY slow for me over wifi for some reason... grr..

if anything it should save me 5-10 minutes.

It seems most of the magazines and websites and a lot of youtube folk have their PS4's, so I am guessing this could be for them also. So they have updated firmware along with their review equipment.

MARNEY

It seems most of the magazines and websites and a lot of youtube folk have their PS4's, so I am guessing this could be for them also. So they have updated firmware along with their review equipment.
I wish sony would release the console a week early for everyone with a day1 pre order... I'm allowed to dream..

Withnail

Where are those people who were telling me there was no way 1.5 could be on game discs because Sony would be working on it until launch day?

I suspect the firmware and the patch notes were released by SCEI simultaneously towards the end of last week. When SCEA received the information they wrote a blog post about it.

I dont know why people are surprised they are putting the firmware on their website. Sony always puts the firmware update on the update page of the console.

They don't do this for Vita updates. Some expected the same thing for PS4 updates.

I suspect the firmware and the patch notes were released by SCEI simultaneously towards the end of last week. When SCEA received the information they wrote a blog post about it.

You're right on that.
Link to press release on SNEI site

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Did Sony pull it? It might just be my computer. I have a Failed - No file prompt in my download bar. But it has PS4UPDATE.PUP on it.

Bailers

?
Patch 1.51, 1.52, 1.53...

To fix all the bugs that people find on launch day ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if the firmware people download on the 15th is higher than 1.50

And this is why I'm going to wait until the 15th to download the update. I think we're going to see a 1.51 on launch day. What the PS Blog updated us with sounds like it was what they have completed. Might two weeks be enough to patch in other features?

Vizzeh

Banned
If these files have been pulled Im not so sure you should use them guys, with 2 weeks left to go they may not have been ready.

fsckit

Neo Member
I'm glad they are doing this. I'm sure day one the servers are going to be pretty slammed. I'd rather just plug in a flash drive and be ready to go.

Their servers won't be slammed The hostname in the XML is an Akamai CDN server.

Dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net canonical name = al02.cdn.update.playstation.net.
al02.cdn.update.playstation.net canonical name = a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net.
a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net canonical name = playstation.sony.akadns.net.
playstation.sony.akadns.net canonical name = a192.d.akamai.net.
Name: a192.d.akamai.net
Address: 194.25.95.121
Name: a192.d.akamai.net
Address: 194.25.95.128

It'll be pushed to all of Akamai's tens of thousands of edge servers before Sony flips the switch and puts it live.

In fact, I'd guess they were doing a live fire update test to make sure the Akamai config was correct, performance was good, etc, before release day.

BigDug13

There was quite a bit of speculation that part of the reason for the forced "day 1 patch" was to imprint your console with region coding for all the media. Only the games part is supposed to be region free, and it's probably easier for them to just shit out as many consoles as possible with a bare-bones universal OS, then get everyone to update themselves with their regional connection.

I mean if the patch is already done mere days after announcing it, it seems like this wasn't all just stuff that couldn't be in the 1.0 patch.

AkIRA_22

Funny, I tweeted Yosip about Sony putting updates on their site so we can download on PC and update over USB. I really don't want to be relying on Sony's servers to play my system for the first time when I pull it out of the box.... didn't get a reply.

Great. Time to buy a USB 3.0 flash drive :)

CMFVYGS3-64GB-thumb.jpg

I just got one of these OMFG it's amazing. I did a full windows 8.1 install in the time it took to do a piss. Max Read: 260 MB/sec, Max Write: 90 MB/sec.... Believe dat.

Schrade

Don't delete them though.. if an exploit is found it's good to always have the old files to work with.

Find Exploit + Hax0r = DLNA/MP3/MP4/MKV playback. WIN.

Not likely to happen but one can dream...

UberTag

Any word on whether the games will go up on the servers early?
I remember scoring my Vita from Amazon 11 days early and being able to download and play through the first-party fare immediately.

Rhindle

Is Sony even going to allow OS updates via USB? I kind of doubt it. They seem to want to wall off the USB ports as an access vector for anything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'll just download it on my PS4 when I get it. PS3 firmware updates are always pretty fast for me (3 MB/s or so, sometimes faster), and I don't think a few million PS4 users are gonna make too much of a difference. Actually, it will be less than that, since the EU launch is two weeks later.

Krakn3Dfx

Is Sony even going to allow OS updates via USB? I kind of doubt it. They seem to want to wall off the USB ports as an access vector for anything.

Yes, they talk about it in their big FAQ, and they had the firmware update online for download for a while.

Top Bottom