• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 3.50 Update Causes DS4 Controllers To Not Recognize 3rd-Party Mic Input

joebruin

My nephew's Bose and Sennheisers both stopped working directly after the 3.50, worked fine before that.

check to see if the product listing states that they are apple compatible. most companies these days make separate apple and android versions and explicitly label them as such.

if apple compatible they are likely using the same config as the apple earpods (reversed ground and mic) which would explain why they are affected.

All I know is that many people with first run DS4's claim that apple earphones MIC will work. The earphone part works fine. They cannot all be lying.

I have tried FIVE, yes FIVE sets of apple earbuds with BOTH of my DS4's that were acquired 12/2015. 4 sets of apple buds and one set of B&O specifically made for apple devices. ALL of them do not work.

depends on your definition of "works"

- earpods have never worked. unless you count an annoying buzzing noise that everyone hears every time you speak into the mic working. if this firmware or a ds4 revision changed this to the mic not outputting at all. our ears thank you sony

- all pre-earpod apple earbud mics i've tested work (iphone 4s and older) as they don't reverse the ground and mic like the earpods.

Xbox One also has the same issue with newer Apple earpod/compatible mics. There's a reason many headphones specifically label whether or not their devices are apple or android compatible as you'll run into various issues.

Sony has said from the start that the DS4 can't guarantee support of all headphones (from Ultimate FAQ posted in 2013 before launch)
CpXoBd4.jpg

Personally find it silly to think that people think that this is an intentional move by Sony to try and force you to buy a Sony headset as it has been proven that many people's third party stuff still works fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
check to see if the product listing states that they are apple compatible. most companies these days make separate apple and android versions and explicitly label them as such.

if apple compatible they are likely using the same config as the apple earpods (reversed ground and mic) which would explain why they are affected.

depends on your definition of "works"

- earpods have never worked. unless you count an annoying buzzing noise that everyone hears every time you speak into the mic working. if this firmware or a ds4 revision changed this to the mic not outputting at all. our ears thank you sony

- all pre-earpod apple earbud mics i've tested work (iphone 4s and older) as they don't reverse the ground and mic like the earpods.

Xbox One also has the same issue with newer Apple earpod/compatible mics. There's a reason many headphones specifically label whether or not their devices are apple or android compatible as you'll run into various issues.

Sony has said from the start that the DS4 can't guarantee support of all headphones (from Ultimate FAQ posted in 2013 before launch)

Personally find it silly to think that people think that this is an intentional move by Sony to try and force you to buy a Sony headset as it has been proven that many people's third party stuff still works fine.

Yep. Blame falls squarely on Apple for muddying the waters for a fucking 3.5mm jack that has been standard before Apple was a thing.

My Bose stopped working after 3.50 too. Worked absolutely flawlessly before.

Read post above as well as updated OP.

Hi everyone, check my OP. I figured things out and updated at the end to share my findings with you, since this thread has been brought back up today.

Thanks for the updated post.

Hi everyone, check my OP. I figured things out and updated at the end to share my findings with you, since this thread has been brought back up today.

joebruin

thanks for the new information from your testing. so why does the workaround work? just tricking the software that a different type of mic is getting plugged in?

thanks for the new information from your testing. so why does the workaround work? just tricking the software that a different type of mic is getting plugged in?

Pretty much!

I haven't researched how a device measures resistance from an auxiliary cord in order for it to tell what type of cord has been plugged in, but I think that that's the key to understanding how the Dual Shock 4 and PS4 are able to mute Apple-style inline mics. They probably recieve a different amount of resistance or something like that—compared to standard cords with inline mics—and so the software immediately disables the microphone input.

Maybe sliding it in and out fast enough makes the software initiate a mic input check, it doesn't recognize an Apple-style input during that small window of time, and then the mic gets plugged back in fast enough to work. Or maybe the software/hardware gets overloaded.

All I can say for certain is that my next quality pair of headphones will be able to use both Apple and standard mics, since I use both Apple products and my PS4 ^_^

Iorv3th

All I know is that many people with first run DS4's claim that apple earphones MIC will work. The earphone part works fine. They cannot all be lying.

I have tried FIVE, yes FIVE sets of apple earbuds with BOTH of my DS4's that were acquired 12/2015. 4 sets of apple buds and one set of B&O specifically made for apple devices. ALL of them do not work.

They weren't supposed to work and they worked shittily. They fixed it.

^this. They 'worked' before but were absolutely terrible if you are on the listening end. It's just constant buzzing.

HiiiLife

I was also having trouble with the latest update when I've used these same headphones and dual shock for years. Now I'm Having something similar happen with the Xbox one controller. My headphones work fine.

HiiiLife

My nephew's Bose and Sennheisers both stopped working directly after the 3.50, worked fine before that.

My Bose stopped working after 3.50 too. Worked absolutely flawlessly before.

Bose headphones here as well. Guess we're SOL because I tried that quick fix and nothing. I dunno if there are any "android" cables compatible with the TrueSound headset but I guess I gotta do some searching :/

Nyx

So last night suddenly the mic of the PS4 earplug that came with the system stopped working. I can hear my friends with it but the output just doesn't work anymore.

I thought the plug died on me so I grabbed my iPhone earplug and it has exactly the same problem.

Then I thought it must be my controller so I switch to another one but again, the same problem, with both earplugs.

When I use them on my phone the mic works just fine, anyone got an idea on a fix? Or is this some kind of bug and I have bad luck?

edit : lol... Nevermind, after more than two years I find out there's an on/off button for the mic on the PS4 earplug, and it was turned off.... Probably switched it by accident.

Move along folks, nothing to see here

spectator

When I use them on my phone the mic works just fine, anyone got an idea on a fix?

Rapidly pop the phones in and out of the jack repeatedly several times until the mic icon on your profile animates to show that you are transmitting.

Magnus

Well then, this explains why my Apple buds didn't work today as a mic. Hadn't tried to play MP online at all for months and tried again today and was disappointed. I might try the quick fix thing. I have a Gold Headset which I forked over too much cash for ($80 CDN on sale, still too much imo), and the quality's fine, but wow, my ears are hot/warm after using them. I'm not sure big cans are for me.

If anyone is still trying to use the Apple buds, I recommend heading over to Amazon and grabbing the old PSP Skype clip-ons or the Vita plugs. They are only around $5 US usually and sound fantastic.

chri5t

This really is a ridiculous problem.

My pair of Beats worked flawlessly before this problem, and I've wasted so much money trying to find a solution. I've bought two new controllers, the launch controller and the updated controller, and I've found that the old controller only works with my Beats if I plug and unplug the headset 5-6 times.

I'm seriously considering shelling out $169 for the Playstation Platinum headset so I don't have to deal with using only one controller every time I want to play a multiplayer game.

Top Bottom