• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/3 sales generate more revenue than XB1/360/Wii & Wii U combined

ZhugeEX

Banned
A few of you may have read the Sony FY2015 Q1 thread where I noted that the quarterly shipment of PlayStation 4 consoles was higher than the combined sell in for Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Wii and 3DS combined. I now have further information that confirms total revenue generated by sales of PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system was higher than that of all other home consoles combined in 2014 calendar year.

UAvNMO4.jpg

Sony's PlayStation 4 & 3 generated a total of $8 billion in revenue compared to the combined $7.2b generated by Microsoft and Nintendo's home consoles. Total revenue generated by home console sales in 2014 reached $15.3 billion including all other brands. 2014 is the first time since 2008 that total console revenue has exceeded $15 billion and marks the start of a resurgence in console sales.

The new console launches have allowed both Sony and Microsoft to increase revenue quite drastically compared to the declining revenue trend seen before 2013. In fact the PlayStation 4 has allowed Sony to double the amount of revenue they made in 2012 across all home console sales. Nintendo on the other hand have seen a sharp decline in the revenue they generate from Wii and Wii U sales with total revenue down 25% since 2012.

TRNNAKy.jpg

Nintendo’s sharp decline actually came about before the launch of the Wii U, in 2009 Nintendo was still the leader for revenue generated by console sales but sales of the Wii started to drop off in 2010 causing revenues to decline whilst the successful launch of Xbox Kinect and PlayStation Move allowed Sony and Microsoft to maintain revenues and overtake Nintendo in this space. The launch of the Wii U did nothing to stop the decline that Nintendo were seeing and this can mainly be attributed to the high pricing of the console and the confusing marketing that failed to capture the attention of the mainstream market. To date the Nintendo Wii U has only sold 10 million units worldwide.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 actually generated low revenue early on in the console cycle but continued to grow and thanks to the launch of Kinect we saw revenues almost match Sony's PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 revenues in 2010 and 2011. However the Xbox One launch whilst successful was not enough to increase revenue to PlayStation levels in 2013.

Sony have been able to hold their $399 price point for almost two years now whilst Microsoft has had to drop the price from $499 to $349 in the space of a year just to remain competitive. It’s fairly clear that Sony are expecting revenues from home console sales to increase further in 2015, that should line up with increased profits on hardware as Sony stated in a recent financial report that the PlayStation 4 is now cheaper to produce, whereas Microsoft could see a year where revenue remains flat or could even decline. One area where Sony have seen a decline is in portable console sales, the discontinuation of the PSP and lack of worldwide appeal for the Vita have caused revenues from handhelds to drop by almost half since 2009.

Overall the console video game hardware market remains healthy and has beaten the slump that we saw at the end of the last generation.

Kathian

Banned
Few questions - where are we getting accurate revenue from and is this only about the hardware? I mean the PS4 is the most expensive at this point and the best selling so its not much of a surprise. Unless you mean games? Where again its not a surprise?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Few questions - where are we getting accurate revenue from and is this only about the hardware? I mean the PS4 is the most expensive at this point and the best selling so its not much of a surprise. Unless you mean games? Where again its not a surprise?

This is hardware sales for home consoles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah Sony will remain the Top Dog for this generation its done. 3DS/WiiU will be replaced by NX next year so sales wont get any better for these system. Outside of US and UK it will be tough for MS - there just arent many reason to buy an additional console next to the PS4 with all the content it is getting.

Wondering what the time period for that was. 2012 forward? yeah thats not surprising.

Its all in the OP...you dont need to wonder about it lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good to see Sony learn from their mistakes and come back strong.

It means much more in the US that 360 was outselling PS3 by double for years, and now PS4 is beating XB1 every month even with a higher price and allegedly no games to justify the investment.

AdanVC

Sony winning this generation like no other. Talk about turning things around after the disastrous PS3 launch.

MS and Xbone are getting there as well. With a good amount of exclusives and stuff.

Wii U is more than dead and NX can't come soon enough.

koopas

Good to see Sony learn from their mistakes and come back strong.
...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

Those numbers aren't surprising to me. Nintendo killed support for the Wii far too early and is one of the reasons why people left them. You can't abandon a popular system for two years, launch a new one and be like "hey guys, buy this thing now!!" By that point, you've already killed mindshare.

Sony has ALWAYS been incredibly good at supporting their systems throughout their life, with the sad exception of Vita. They deserve to be doing well.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

Wow

How are you determining the actual revenue?

Do you have splits for Gen 7 vs. Gen 8?

I am going to hazard a guess and say fiscal reports for the first question.

And if that guess is true then that would be a no on the second question because both Sony and MS obfuscated generation sales by only reporting combined sales for hardware units for a few reports.

eerik9000

Sony has the worldwide appeal. Microsoft and Nintendo does not. This is nothing surprising.

Microsoft had their chance but they blew it. 100 euros more expensive, tier 2/3 delays, PR disasters, etc.

Sony had the same fiasco with PS3, but lucky for them, PS2 had been such a phenomenon and built a huge install base that it saved PS3.

Vashetti

Banned
Any estimations on lifetime PS3 sales?

Sony last confirmed 80 million sales in Nov. 2013, nothing official since then.

Oersted

Those numbers aren't surprising to me. Nintendo killed support for the Wii far too early and is one of the reasons why people left them. You can't abandon a popular system for two years, launch a new one and be like "hey guys, buy this thing now!!" By that point, you've already killed mindshare.

Sony has ALWAYS been incredibly good at supporting their systems throughout their life, with the sad exception of Vita. They deserve to be doing well.

Wasn't PSP also relatively fast abandoned?

Microsoft had their chance but they blew it. 100 euros more expensive, tier 2/3 delays, PR disasters, etc.

Sony had the same fiasco with PS3, but lucky for them, PS2 had been such a phenomenon and built a huge install base that it saved PS3.

Did they though?

Even with 360's success, everywhere outside the US/UK it was still losing handedly to the PS3 despite Sony's fuck up.

I doubt the situation would be that different in these territories if the Xbox One had been on the absolute same level as the PS4 marketing, hw, etc, wise.

They certainly didn't make it easier though and they would have sold much more due to PS4 selling out than they probably did

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Er...i'm not sure how SCE's investments into PS4 had anything to do with Sony as a company failing.

You might want to educate me on how those two things are related, when Sony's failings were documented many years before PS4 was even a concept.

This is a thread about their hardware sales via Playstation. Not Sony Pictures, Television and Electronic, Imaging etc etc.

Why even do this?

______

Interesting to see that the PS still remains their cash cow. I guess I just want to know what the profits are and what they are doing with this influx of cash. Where is it all going?

ZhugeEX

Banned

And if that guess is true then that would be a no on the second question because both Sony and MS obfuscated generation sales by only reporting combined sales for hardware units for a few reports.

These numbers are not derived from public financial reports as the financial reports do not break down hardware revenue as displayed in the second graph in the OP.

Yeah Sony will remain the Top Dog for this generation its done. 3DS/WiiU will be replaced by NX next year so sales wont get any better for these system. Outside of US and UK it will be tough for MS - there just arent many reason to buy an additional console next to the PS4 with all the content it is getting.

Its all in the OP...you dont need to wonder about it lol.
Its not in the title though

Do they all report the actual hardware revenue though? I haven't specifically searched the reports myself, but they usually don't break that out that I've noticed. That's why I'm asking.

Edit: And still no response. =/

Oersted

Not really. It had a couple really lean years in the middle of its life but Sony gave it some pretty good support during the back half.

By Sony or in general? There are still PSP games coming out of Japan...

Mainly Sony. I remember it was basically just MH which kept it alive and well, that didn't turned out so well(western support). Could be very much in the wrong though, thats why I am asking.

ZServ

This post confuses me.

SCE = PlayStation division, yes? SCE operates as a subsidiary, as far as I know. As in, the people who run it report to Sony HQ, but Sony HQ has minimal impact on how it's run, unless they step in.

From my knowledge, SCE is one of very few profitable divisions of Sony, thus Sony HQ has no real reason to step in and over-see it, versus overseeing their smartphone business, which is failing.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Far be it for people to read the opening post of the thread...

My hope was for people to see a catchy title, click on the thread and then hopefully they'd stick around and read the content.

The one thing to take away from this thread is that the launch of new consoles has allowed for revenue to grow drastically. This is because the next generation of consoles have higher price points of course but it also shows that the amount being generated is very healthy compared to say 2009 and beyond where the total amount of revenue being generated by hardware was declining through 2012.

Forecasts show that revenue generated by generation 8 consoles is expected to remain fairly high and consistent moving forward through 2018. I expect this to be fuelled by PlayStation 4 sales as well as the introduction of a new Nintendo home console.

2014 is the first time since 2008 that total console revenue has exceeded $15 billion and marks the start of a resurgence in console sales.
When people said that "consoles were dying" because of the performance of the 7th generation they tend to forget that the vast majority of the 7th gen took place since the worst global financial crisis since The Great Depression, The Great Recession.

LeonSPBR

So to you SCE = Sony... I'm not sure what you tried to pass with this post.

I mean, as far as the Wii goes, it was far cheaper than the ps3. Revenue is a pretty meaningless number in and of itself without knowing losses as well.

Top Bottom