• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One UK Pre-order sales data - Hard data included! [Updated]

If all the rumours re supply amounts are true, and the PS4 takes an early lead in sales then it will naturally gain momentum just because you want to play online with your friends. Right now in the UK my 360 is better for online gaming just because its what everyone has. If in April 2014 the ps4 is the console that's ahead in sales and has the larger install base you'd go with that because it allows you to play with more people and the odds are higher its what your friends have.

Yep. Me and my friends make up about 7 or so console purchases and we're all going to buy the same one so we can all play together. Naturally my friends have other friends and you try and get them on the same platform too.

Jezbollah

~2200 PS4 Deposits LTD
~110 PS4 "Game Exclusive" Deposits LTD
~1400 Xbox One Deposits LTD

~360 PS4 Deposits WTD (not including yesterday or today)
~110 PS4 "Game Exclusive" Deposits WTD
~180 Xbox One Deposits WTD

Since the reveal of the PS4 hardware at E3 pre-orders have been tracking 2:1 in favour of it, for the three weeks before that they were in higher for the Xbox One (after their reveal event).

For those of you who know, you know the source, but he would rather remain anonymous to protect his job so I am making the thread on his behalf. I have proof of the source's figures, they are real.

Figures are for a single region for a single retailer.

Cheers again, Zomg.

I am surprised that the ratio is only 2:1 given the reaction in the enthusiast press, but as soon as general "joe public" word of mouth gets out and a better understanding of the used games and offline advantages go out to the masses I can see the ratio getting bigger for Sony.

GAME's secured a cool £30k collecting interest. Not bad.

OK, so how much of the UK would this be approximately? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'd like to have a vague idea of total UK preorders.

I would say it's a fair chunk of the market. GAME is the UK equivalent of GameStop. That said, the internet segment is far stronger in the UK than the US (due to having a postal service that isn't shite) and hence I'd guesstimate that GAME would have 40% of the console pre-orders.

I couldn't say unfortunately. Maybe less than a quarter? That's an estimate though.

Based on this it must be doing pretty well, it is miles away from launch, and if you added other chains/regions preorders would probably be pretty good.
It took Vita 10 weeks to break 100,000, and this seems to be well ahead!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The fact that the tides changed after E3 tells me the main problem for XO is indeed the high price, with the DRM stuff being a more minor one (but still a "big" one).

Price is a primary issue, of course. But I think a lot of people were holding their breath on PS4 to see if DRM would be as bad. There was a lot of 'oh, it'll be the same'. I think preorders now reflect a collective breathing out on that issue. I didn't preorder a PS4 until after Sony's stance was confirmed.

Lynn616

Lucky for MS and anyone that buys a X1 that the hardware is so similar to the PS4. Even if the PS4 is 2-1 over the X1 the developer support will still be there. I am sure that is why everyone seems so interested in the hardware pre-order data. So no worries.

Shantom

Wii U's first months sales were great, and it's doubtful that even the PS4 will beat them.

It's the following months where the PS4 will most likely smoke the Wii U if Sony plays it right.

Wii U's first month sales in the UK were absolutely awful, it would be surprising to me if the PS4's first weekend wasn't higher than the Wii U's first month over here.

wrowa

I actually expected the difference to be a little bigger. The difference is rather modest, I think.

How popular was the 360 in the UK? Did it outsell the PS3?

DBT85

If we can get more numbers as weeks roll on, we could chart the ratio over time, see if it changes after certain events and news and stuff.

I actually expected the difference to be a little bigger. The difference is rather modest, I think.

Yes. It was out 14 months before the PS3 and considerably cheaper. Aslo had 2 free Christmas periods.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

UK is a decent stronghold for MSFT so 2:1 is a very good turnaround for Sony.

Cheers again, Zomg.

I am surprised that the ratio is only 2:1 given the reaction in the enthusiast press, but as soon as general "joe public" word of mouth gets out and a better understanding of the used games and offline advantages go out to the masses I can see the ratio getting bigger for Sony.

UK is a decent stronghold for MSFT so 2:1 is a very good turnaround for Sony.

Correct my math if I'm wrong but its more like 1:1.57.

That would be a silly thing to reveal unless he likes getting fired.

I don't think it is a good idea as the source may become identifiable by his employer.

Yeah, it perhaps wasn't the best thing to ask. Didn't think before asking.

Anyway, to stay on topic. I wonder if this will be replicated countrywide? None of my friends are particularly interested in either console since going back to PC, so I'm unable to gather any anecdotal evidence, but what about everyone else's gaming buds?

IcyEyes

Ok, the Ps4 looks like it has the edge now, but to be honest, I can't believe MS is able to sell 2 Xbone every 3 PS4 despite the very negative mood that surrounds the console.

I honestly expect something worst for MS, something like 4-1 ...

360 sold around 40% more units in the UK LTD. It is far and away more popular than PS3 because of the way Sony treated the UK at the beginning of the generation.

Zemm

What's more interesting is that 3600 mugs have put down a deposit, just buy it from Amazon where you won't get charged until dispatched friends.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok, the Ps4 looks like it has the edge now, but to be honest, I can't believe MS is able to sell 2 Xbone every 3 PS4 despite the very negative mood that surrounds the console.

Early adopters and you can bet there are some who either aren't informed at all about used games and DRM or just are loyal fans.

Considering the majority of Europe is pro Sony. Microsoft 'losing' the UK would be quite a blow.

With the UK the biggest (or perhaps second with Germany's rise), losing the UK could be seen as a death blow for their chances of growing their install base outside the US.

Remember that this is a market were the 360 had a healthy lead. That they're behind at all shows a big shift. If numbers in America are similar, that should be just as concerning to Microsoft.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anyway, to stay on topic. I wonder if this will be replicated countrywide? None of my friends are particularly interested in either console since going back to PC, so I'm unable to gather any anecdotal evidence, but what about everyone else's gaming buds?

I know around 12 people that play video games in their spare time. 7 of them are primarily PC players while 5 are primarily console players. 7 have pre-ordered the PS4.
(I was surprised myself, I expected around 4, as they range from WoW only players to only playing FIFA.)

Maledict

Indeed - just being equal to MS in the USA and UK would be a major triumph for Sony as they win in the rest of the world handily. If they can actually pull ahead in both those countries and maintain their dominance elsewhere (which so far seems to what's happening) then you're looking at a major win for Sony. Big change from the current generation.

Not that I think it will matter games wise - the number of third party exclusives is going to be even smaller this generation.

dalyr95

zomgbbqftw, since you're an analyst who probably know abit about this, what would Sony be pumping out of their factories per month assuming industry average yields and when would a product like this start being mass produced?

(Since everyone knows about the new iPhone four months before from the supply chain, its strange we've not heard a peep)

Top Bottom