• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fnord

Any details on what features the PS4 MU music player has? Speedy fast forward/rewind? The PS3 music playback option were shit for mp3s that were very long. Fast forwarding was a nightmare. If we can use the analog sticks or the trackpad to zip through long files that will be great. If it doesn't feature a versatile fast forward/rewind feature this is dead on arrival for me. Otherwise I'll try it for a year.

Agreed. I was sort of hoping that the controls for MP3 (and DLNA audio) playback would be more like the controls for video playback on the PS3, which are excellent. It's not such a big deal for music, but it's a huge deal for podcasts.

I wonder how hard it is to cancel before the trial period ends.

It's probably still easier than cancelling XBL Gold...

Somewhat disappointed by this, but I have a feeling they'll patch it in later due to consumer feedback. Sony seems to be better at correcting their mistakes these days.

curb

Banned
It's probably still easier than cancelling XBL Gold...

Somewhat disappointed by this, but I have a feeling they'll patch it in later due to consumer feedback. Sony seems to be better at correcting their mistakes these days.

Don't tell Sony this, but I'd be completely willing to make a one-time app purchase for custom MP3 playback outside and inside of games. No matter how good the Music Unlimited service may be, I won't pay a subscription fee for it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
for those who can't bear not to have music on their PS4s at launch, there is a free trial for music unlimited going on right now.

And here we go again, they've got yet another one to add to their list. Their plan worked on people like you.

Yes they added the feedback and future possibilities in the FAQ

Future possibilites......

Will I be able to play MP3s on the PS4 system?
No.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities

Will the PS4 system support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities

And more on this future possibilities crap... it's mp3 support. There is no "exploring" to do here. Their little trojan horse MU scheme blew up in there face and their backpedaling. Sorry if it comes off melodramatic, but seriously this whole thing has been a bunch of PR spin and bullshit.

curb

Banned
And more on this future possibilities crap... it's mp3 support. There is no "exploring" to do here. Their little trojan horse MU scheme blew up in there face and their backpedaling. Sorry if it comes off melodramatic, but seriously this whole thing has been a bunch of PR spin and bullshit.

This seems to be a theme this generation so far. A platform holder assumes something will be well received and not a big deal and then it explodes all over them. DLNA, MP3, DRM, Always On...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Music unlimited is really awesome. I got it last year for $14. Totally worth it

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is exactly what sony wanted... I have my own collection I have no reason to subscribe to something that I don't want, thanks very much though sony for forcing my hand.

I'm happy with Sony's response and Kagari's reassurance. I wouldn't be surprised if DLNA/MP3 functionality returned in the first post launch update. Reminds me of the PS3 early days where huge software improvements were added in the initial updates. XMB 1.0 was such barren shit compared to what it is today.

anyone notice that blog post is gone? the one about winning ps4 titles with Music Unlimited. i guess the whole comment section were people not happy about the situation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm happy with Sony's response and Kagari's reassurance. I wouldn't be surprised if DLNA/MP3 functionality returned in the first post launch update. Reminds me of the PS3 early days where huge software improvements were added in the initial updates. XMB 1.0 was such barren shit compared to what it is today.

I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

Jburton

Banned
I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

That's great news Kagari, thanks for sharing!

Yazuka

Sorry I have not been reading everything here. But was that confirmation abou us getting mp3 support in the future?

WoolyNinja

I think at this point it's about your product not having a basic, simple, nil cost feature that your competition DOES have. Now you're letting Microsoft tick a box you can't check.
All in the name of pushing Music Unlimited subscription service that nary a single person asked for.

I don't believe MP3 playback is a 'nil cost feature'. Last I remember there are licensing fees for MP3 playback.

andycapps

Good to hear. Wouldn't hurt to have this added to the OP.

curb

Banned

I think they should get out in front of this as soon as possible and announce that something is coming. I'm glad they responded to the HDCP capture issue but it seemed like they left it a long time. People like assurances and not everyone follows yosp on Twitter.

You're still mad? It is getting fixed, yes it was dumb for Sony to try it. They are backing off and it will be patched in. Gamers won, all is right in the world again.

daman824

Was this confirmation about mp3?

And here we go again, they've got yet another one to add to their list. Their plan worked on people like you.

you seem to know alot about me lol. I was just pointing out something. I myself am not trying it, nor am I going to, nor am I going to subscribe. Sony has been been very good in the past providing these services and I see no reason why I can't just wait for the updates to come. Same thing goes for custom wallpapers.

awesome.

Loudninja

Future possibilites......

Yeah whatever they say or do you wont be satisfied.

They know they fucked up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
believe it or not I'm happy to see the FAQ wasn't updated regarding CDs.. I mean c'mon people. OSes have BUILT IN software for ripping your music. use it!!!

Omiee

this is bullshit, i am so disappointed in sony because of this.

i really wanted background music a feature that was present for free on the 360.

And really wish they had dnla support because i used to use my ps3 as a media player before buying one.

This really sucks and i cant imagine why they decided this

this is bullshit, i am so disappointed in sony because of this.

i really wanted background music a feature that was present for free on the 360.

And really wish they had dnla support because i used to use my ps3 as a media player before buying one.

This really sucks and i cant imagine why they decided this

Have you read even the past few posts?

It is getting patched in, and will probably get done really quickly.

PS2 KID

i hope nothing actually important gets bumped because of this

I hope something important does get bumped because of this.

This would show Sony is listening to us! The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

That something else important that gets bumped will get it's own super long thread later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom