• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Coming to a Best Buy near you

shink

Yup, they went around to everybody and started trying to sell their bundle. I started telling the people around that you are only buying 600 worth of stuff and they rest is just their bologna they are trying to sell you. The girl in front of me buying it for her boyfriend was buying in to their protection plan and the guy started saying it's good because a lot have been breaking, trying to scare her, and then said if you don't and it breaks after 15 days then you are out of luck and you have a brick. I told her Sony will fix it or get you a new one and they have their own protection plans you can sign up for that are cheaper

Even worse, one BB employee was talking to the girl and she was saying her boyfriend likes sports games and the guy says you know what's really big right now? NBA Live . .

I immediately stopped him there
Good man.

Abdiel

This was posted in the retail thread

Average is 68 units per store
Median is 65 units per store
Sample size appears to be one district which contains 13 stores

From what I can tell Best Buy has approximately 1050 stores in the US

So roughly 63,000 PS4's moved through the country's Best Buy's today (Using 60 units per store to be conservative)

I think more interesting data could be inferred from the last 3 columns but I don't want to make assumptions so I'll leave that to someone who understands the terminology better

I think another gaffer may have supplied a picture of the retail distribution of PS4's for your exact district. Small world

Although it's worth checking if it's the same district because if it's not and your disctrict also got 880 units then it sounds like a standard ship amount per district and is easier to extrapolate from

It's funny seeing my post get quoted in several different threads!

And Swift, the picture I posted was for the Boston I District, which is New Hampshire and Northern MA stores. I checked the listings for several others just cause I was curious. The average was well over 600, typically around the 800 range, but there was at least one or two (I didn't have a chance to check every single one) that was around 1000 units. When I went into work yesterday at 3, I did a quick check for my district's numbers again, and there was only 25 units left in the entire district. Made me laugh. Stores were crazy from what I understand. Even the ones up in Maine got cleared out.

Tsundere

Banned
Uh oh, I hope they will supply the Asian launch with enough units
Those units don't need to travel half way around the world. It'll be a lot simpler for them to route units across Asia since.. they're made there.
It's funny seeing my post get quoted in several different threads!

And Swift, the picture I posted was for the Boston I District, which is New Hampshire and Northern MA stores. I checked the listings for several others just cause I was curious. The average was well over 600, typically around the 800 range, but there was at least one or two (I didn't have a chance to check every single one) that was around 1000 units. When I went into work yesterday at 3, I did a quick check for my district's numbers again, and there was only 25 units left in the entire district. Made me laugh. Stores were crazy from what I understand. Even the ones up in Maine got cleared out.
Yea, my friend who works at BB in WA state said her store had around 60+ people waiting outside for the consoles; PS4 selling out quickly, Xbox Ones left at store close.

Skenzin

Banned
People should wait anyway. In retrospect I wish I had, there's nothing to play on this thing for a few months yet.

BF4 is awsome on the ps4. My tv never thought it would see such beauty after 8 years of memory constrained gaming. COD looks pretty sharp to, although it's a lot of the same just more clear. Which is nice.

That's the point. :)

There's nothing wrong with presenting an opposing side of a story to get people thinking.

I never thought of any of this until you pointed it out.
A7S81KE.png

heh, this worked just as well:
image.php

Jonboy

Have a friend who works the Best Buy in NYC. Said they sold 200 PS4s in under an hour.

EDIT: Sold all those on Sunday, 12-9.

jacobs34

Bundles available online right now, GO GO GO.

Was able to pick up a second console. Got this one for my Uncle who was looking for one for his kid. Feels good man.

johnny956

DAMN! I really hope Sony can keep up this healthy supply all the way through Christmas.

The supply is coming but its slow coming. I know for our entire district that yesterday was the first time we sold PS4's since launch. The numbers were huge which is great but that's a week short of a month without a shipment. Not sure if Best Buy was just saving all the small shipments we would normally get over the course of that time and holding them for 12/8. We'll know for sure soon. My guess is we'll get one more shipment on the 22nd but nothing set in stone yet

The supply is coming but its slow coming. I know for our entire district that yesterday was the first time we sold PS4's since launch. The numbers were huge which is great but that's a week short of a month without a shipment. Not sure if Best Buy was just saving all the small shipments we would normally get over the course of that time and holding them for 12/8. We'll know for sure soon. My guess is we'll get one more shipment on the 22nd but nothing set in stone yet

The people at the BB I went to said the same. This was the first shipment they recieved since launch. I think he said they had 87, all sold at opening. We asked if they would get more and he said this is probably the last bunch till after christmas, but he didn't really know. Some other people have been saying their store is going to do it again this Sunday and others said the Sunday after next

johnny956

This was posted in the retail thread

Average is 68 units per store
Median is 65 units per store
Sample size appears to be one district which contains 13 stores

From what I can tell Best Buy has approximately 1050 stores in the US

So roughly 63,000 PS4's moved through the country's Best Buy's today (Using 60 units per store to be conservative)

I think more interesting data could be inferred from the last 3 columns but I don't want to make assumptions so I'll leave that to someone who understands the terminology better

I think another gaffer may have supplied a picture of the retail distribution of PS4's for your exact district. Small world

Although it's worth checking if it's the same district because if it's not and your disctrict also got 880 units then it sounds like a standard ship amount per district and is easier to extrapolate from

I wish I would have taken a screen shot of my district. About 12 stores and 3 got about 75 and the rest were in the 20-40 range. I think the 63,000 is pretty high. I would put it in the 40,000-50,000 range

Amir0x

Banned
Jesus. This truly is PS2 all over again. They sold approximately 3 units a minute.

it's pretty crazy to actually see this system still be supply constrained considering the insane numbers they manage to get to the channel. I hope this is not just a Holiday thing and it does well for a while

Iacobellis

it's pretty crazy to actually see this system still be supply constrained considering the insane numbers they manage to get to the channel. I hope this is not just a Holiday thing and it does well for a while

Sony can easily hold the momentum throughout 2014 with inFAMOUS, Driveclub, The Show, Order, Uncharted, etc.. I am personally looking forward to the slew of indie games such as Rime.

jmcoo7

Banned

My instincts tell me this thing won't be sitting for long on many shelves, even past next Xmas. In Europe so many preorders are not going to be met made until next year.

I wish I would have taken a screen shot of my district. About 12 stores and 3 got about 75 and the rest were in the 20-40 range. I think the 63,000 is pretty high. I would put it in the 40,000-50,000 range

Numbers I have are 860 and 880 across two districts and 26 stores

Hence an average of 67 a store

I made my estimate with a 60 a store average to be conservative

I will adjust my estimates if I have anything substantial to work from [I.E. you get me that screenshot :)] Do you know the stock level for your district and how many stores are in it?

While I believe using the other numbers as an average is still better until you could provide more accurate numbers [district stock + # of stores :)]

Here's what it would be assuming 3 stores @ 75, 9 stores @ 30 for your district

Your district = 225 + 270 = 495 units across 12 stores -> 41.25 units per store
District 1 = 880 across 13 stores -> 67.7 units per store
District 2 = 860 across 13 stores -> 66.153 units per store

Thus overall average per store is 58.367 units per store

Across 1,050 stores that would be approximately 61,286 units

Chum

I wonder why Ebay prices aren't higher given the perceived shortages? Checking today it appears that you can score one for less than $500. I would expect the price to climb as we move closer to the holidays.

inner-G

Banned
I wonder why Ebay prices aren't higher given the perceived shortages? Checking today it appears that you can score one for less than $500. I would expect the price to climb as we move closer to the holidays.
Maybe the people that are hardcore enough can find them since they have so many more units out there than 360/PS3 did.

Maybe the people that are hardcore enough can find them since they have so many more units out there than 360/PS3 did.

That and scalpers got legitimately burned with the WiiU, so I doubt they wanted to get burned again. Also both PS4 and Xbone have been well supplied initially and have been restocked with large quantities, thus on the consumer side they feel the better risk to take is to wait for a resupply than to overspend on a shady scalper.

Also credit cards. People are more willing to wait in line on Sundays to drop $400-$500 on credit than spend $600+ in cash.

RedAssedApe

Banned
yup. these consoles seem a lot less supply constrained than in the past. seems like new shipments are getting received every week.

my bro was able to sell a few for $575-600 right around US launch. Probably because buyers didn't really have any idea of how quickly they'd be able to get their hands on one if they didn't pre-order.

Also, selling it for anything under that almost doesn't make it worth it. Ebay/Paypal fees, shipping costs, and the general headache you might get if the PS4 you sell is one of the broken ones makes it not really worth it for the minimal profit you might make.

Tsundere

Banned
PS3 has made Playstation fans VERY patient. lol

Top Bottom