• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 (consumer version) waltzes past the FCC

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
All credit to dronde:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/sony-playstation-4-fcc/

Sony's PS4 dev kit passed by the FCC roughly a week ago, and now its consumer-oriented counterpart has passed through Uncle Sam's offices. Not only do the federal documents show the consoles' polished exterior, but they once again note a "max clock frequency" of 2.75GHz, teasing just what kind of horsepower sits inside the black trapezoid. Though there isn't much more to note in the agency's files, a duo of system labels marked with "Made in China" and "Made in Japan" hint that Hirai and Co. will be manufacturing the hardware in both those territories. Mark Cerny's wunderconsole won't be hitting store shelves until later this year, but it already has the appropriate paperwork to make the trip stateside.

Pics of filing at the link.

Aw yiss. Please be an October surprise.

Edit:
For reference, PS3 passed the FCC September 15 2006, so the PS4 is almost 2 months ahead of that. This bodes well for holiday availability.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ibzIvMuEdPFGD2.gif

I'm guessing they could get the console out in October. But i'm also guessing if it came out in december that most of the launch software would be rushed... i'm not sure I want to see that stuff in october.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Anyone able to find out what the usual amount of time is from FCC certification to actual retail release on products like these? Could it be a october surprise?

Espada

Seems a bit early. They may go for a late October, early November release date going by this.

Hoo-doo said:
Anyone able to find out what the usual amount of time is from FCC certification to actual retail release on products like these? Could it be a october surprise?

That's a pretty good idea.

Duxxy3

I'm guessing they could get the console out in October. But i'm also guessing if it came out in december that most of the launch software would be rushed... i'm not sure I want to see that stuff in october.

Just a guess, but I think they will have the required amount of systems by october. Everything seems to be going well, hardware-wise.

antonz

PS3 got approval in September 2006. Its hard to get anything from that though considering all the production issues PS3 had leading upto launch causing significant issues so late production

Honestly, one would think Sony might want to get the console out 2-3 weeks before Battlefield releases, so that Killzone can have some time to sell with no competition.

Just a guess, but I think they will have the required amount of systems by october. Everything seems to be going well, hardware-wise.

Yeah I'm guessing as well. I haven't heard anything from anyone. But I feel fairly confident that it's software being ready that will determine the release date moreso than hardware... because I think they have production ramped up nicely. Hell, they already increased their projections for the launch once - they are clearly confident in their ability to produce units.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Honestly, one would think Sony might want to get the console out 2-3 weeks before Battlefield releases, so that Killzone can have some time to sell with no competition.

I would think the third party publishers would get upset if Sony launches too early though. Earliest launch without pissing off everyone would be early Nov., because at least AC4 and CoD:Ghosts could be out by then. This would allow Watch Dogs to not compete directly with AC4 on launch day.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If it comes out in October I will cry. Happy cry. I will also pump my first in the air.

After doing some searching it seems that the original PS3 got approval in September of 06.

Duxxy3

If the PS4 is somehow out before Battlefield 4 and Ghosts, that would be a huge victory for Sony.

Top Bottom