• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 (consumer version) waltzes past the FCC

Yeah I'm guessing as well. I haven't heard anything from anyone. But I feel fairly confident that it's software being ready that will determine the release date moreso than hardware... because I think they have production ramped up nicely. Hell, they already increased their projections for the launch once - they are clearly confident in their ability to produce units.

Software will be ready by late October with a number of high profile third party releases.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably not a good idea to piss off your biggest 3rd parties. I'm sure EA and Acti want those games next to PS4 at launch.
Yeah, I don't really see the point of releasing before at least BF4 and AC4 are out anyways.

Edit: I don't think COD really needs impulse sales, heh. I think Sony would launch before it.

thefit

If they are building them both in Japan and China do we know which we get? I want a Japanese built model not a Chinese Foxcon.

I really think Call of Duty's launch is the earliest Sony will go. I imagine Activision would be upset if they missed launch day impulse sales.

Ass 4 and Battlefield are oct 29, COD is the week after. If the can get it out by COD they can get it out by ass creed and BF4.

USC-fan

Banned
Biggest news is the universal power supply!

Looks to be the same specs as the power supply in ps3 slim. 250 Watts power supply.

It's probably not a good idea to piss off your biggest 3rd parties. I'm sure EA and Acti want those games next to PS4 at launch.

Do you really think this would considerably affect their relationship with EA, Ubisoft, or Activision?

They've been trying to grow Killzone into something larger than it is for years. This is a prime [edit: once in a generation] opportunity to do so, but it'll be very easy for Battlefield and Call of Duty to steal all attention away from the game if they release simultaneously.

FourMyle

ibzIvMuEdPFGD2.gif

WTF?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ass 4 and Battlefield are oct 29, COD is the week after. If the can get it out by COD they can get it out by ass creed and BF4.

I'm not saying Sony won't be ready for Oct. 29. I'm saying they may want to wait a week until CoD is out to make Activision happy.

EDIT: Then again with the way Call of Duty is attached to Xbox here in the states, maybe PS4 launches Oct. 29th, Xbox One the next week with CoD.

Drakeon

I think the absolute soonest it launches is Oct 29 to coincide with AC4 and BF4. Still kind of doubt that date too, but it'll launch before Black Friday for sure.

I would think the third party publishers would get upset if Sony launches too early though. Earliest launch without pissing off everyone would be early Nov., because at least AC4 and CoD:Ghosts could be out by then. This would allow Watch Dogs to not compete directly with AC4 on launch day.

BF4: October 29, 2013
AC4: October 29, 2013
CoDG: November 5, 2013
WD: November 19, 2013

Early release won't allow WD and AC4 to compete with each other.

I think people would respond greatly to early October both for 1st party and 3rd party titles releasing as they won't compete with each other.

People who's buying the games above are already getting it, some people are still not convinced yet on KZ:SF, DC, Knack. If Sony releases the PS4 at early October, people will buy those since most 3rd party games are not yet released. Win-win for both parties.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
BF4: October 29, 2013
AC4: October 29, 2013
CoDG: November 5, 2013
WD: November 19, 2013

Early release won't allow WD and AC4 to compete with each other.

I think people would respond greatly to early October both for 1st party and 3rd party titles releasing as they won't compete with each other.

People who's buying the games above are already getting it, some people are still not convinced yet on KZ:SF, DC, Knack. If Sony releases the PS4 at early October, people will buy those since most 3rd party games are not yet released. Win-win for both parties.

I think third parties would see early Oct. as unfair to them.

EDIT: Plus, aren't bundles for BF4 and Call of Duty already being sold?

I think third parties would see early Oct. as unfair to them.
In the end though, this is god damn console
launch, and the release date is such a small part
of the coming generation. I wonder if it really matters much at all to third parties. Activision kicking dirt sounds right like someone above said.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Bah, I'll just go ahead and make a prediction, haha.

PS4 = Oct. 29
Xbox One = Nov. 5

Just makes too much sense for me now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I believe Ubisoft has said Watch Dogs releases November 19th for current gen and next gen "whenever they're ready".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people think third parties have such a large say over when this thing comes out? Sony should release the PS4 when it has a decent library. In my eyes, that's October 29. People will buy COD no matter what. And waiting those few weeks for Watch Dogs isn't worth missing out on a head start over MS.

That's how I see it, anyways. And this is all assuming the first party stuff will be ready by then, too.

This 2.75GHz figure is the WCLK of the GDDR5 interface.

GDDR5 has two clocks: One for adresses and commandos (1.375GHz in PS4) and one for data (2.75GHz in PS4). You can easily do the math since Cerny mentioned several times that PS4 will have a 256Bit interface and a bandwidth of 176GB/s. You need the aforementioned clocks to reach the needed data rate of 5.5GHz.

The WCLK of the GDDR5 interface will be the highest clock frequency of the system, CPU most likely will have 1.6GHz and GPU will have 800MHz. That's why FCC mentions it on the sheet.

Fixed.

Amazon can just send a note or option to anyone who preordered the bundle to either ship the PS4 first then the game later, or ship them both when all of them becomes available.
I think they do this on other items as well.

Tratorn

The wishes for a september release are funny.
The biggest games of their launch lineup are out in late october/early november (AC, CoD, BF, WD), so their lineup would suck for the masses, if they launch so soon. There is no way it'll release before really late october.

I thik in the last thread someone said it's the wifi frequency

GDDR5 has two clocks: One for adresses and commandos (1.375GHz in PS4) and one for data (2.75GHz in PS4). You can easily do the math since Cerny mentioned several times that PS4 will have a 256Bit interface and a bandwidth of 176GB/s. You need the aforementioned clocks to reach the needed data rate of 5.5Gbps.

The WCLK of the GDDR5 interface will be the highest clock frequency of the system, CPU most likely will have 1.6GHz and GPU will have 800MHz. That's why FCC mentions it on the sheet.

but guise, mayb the Cuatro uses wirelss RAM.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The wishes for a september release are funny.
The biggest games of their launch lineup are out in late october/early november (AC, CoD, BF, WD), so their lineup would suck for the masses, if they launch so soon. There is no way it'll release before really late october.
Exactly what I was tryna get at.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to agree the October 29th date is starting to make some sense. Ubisoft will get Watch Dogs ready as they've already implied and COD is just a week later.

Yoday

Yeah I'm guessing as well. I haven't heard anything from anyone. But I feel fairly confident that it's software being ready that will determine the release date moreso than hardware... because I think they have production ramped up nicely. Hell, they already increased their projections for the launch once - they are clearly confident in their ability to produce units.
I agree.

There is noting stopping them from launching the console as soon as September at this rate, but that would put developers in a really bad position. If they launched in September the games would need to be done and going in for cert right now, and there is no way in hell that is happening. I also don't see the next gen version of any game releasing before the current gen/PC versions.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I imagine they want to get out as early as possible to get ahead of MS, and to have enough to time get a second or third wave of systems out in time for black Friday. However, if they launch too soon they will be launching with very few games ready for day one.

I have to imagine that regardless of when the consoles launch the developers are preparing the next gen versions of games to hit at about the same time as the current gen versions. If that is the case then I could see Sony releasing in early November, as that would give them a solid launch lineup that would include Battlefield, ACIV, and CoD. We would then see Need for Speed and Watch Dogs launching just a few weeks later, which having a slightly staggered launch line up would be a good thing IMO.

One thing is for certain though, this fall is going to be a blast as we watch both consoles launch.

AshiusX

Banned

PS4 = Oct. 29
Xbox One = Nov. 5

Microsoft tend to release their consoles around mid November. But your prediction still may be true maybe this time Microsoft may launch their console with the release day of this year's Call Of Duty in hopes of giving it more momentum.

Shin

Banned
The one made in China is being made by FoxConn but which company is making them in Japan (SKZ)?

Coxy

I wouldnt bet on an earlier release I think it's more of a "lets have shitloads made by release" thing

Prologue

Is it possible for some of these titles to be released early on next gen consoles compared to older ones? Would encourage some sales. I don't see them holding the PS4 when titles like BF4 and COD are selling in stores. To have games like WD/AC waiting in the corner seems odd too.

TheD

The Detective

GDDR5 has two clocks: One for adresses and commandos (1.375GHz in PS4) and one for data (2.75GHz in PS4). You can easily do the math since Cerny mentioned several times that PS4 will have a 256Bit interface and a bandwidth of 176GB/s. You need the aforementioned clocks to reach the needed data rate of 5.5Gbps.

I now think you are right (I was not thinking of the WCK clock when you made your statement).

PS4 = Oct. 29
Xbox One = Nov. 5

There is no way that could happen, retail stores would have to deal with COD lines + a console launch there would be to many people, stores like gamestop would be completely destroyed.

Top Bottom