• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 crowned fastest selling video games console of the decade in New Zealand

Loudninja

Im starting to wonder what will be a ridiculous number to be annouced on Saturday that will be true?

18 million sold through with 20 million shipped? Bonus points if they use the wording "shortly approaching".
Yeah I am interested in seeing what new number they announced this time around,

ddikxela

Its quite an amazing feat for PS4, cost of living is pretty expensive here compared to the average wage.

For at least half a year I'd say the PS4 was the more expensive console... or a better way of putting it would be that there have been better and cheaper Xbox One deals/bundles around for at least half a year.

Hopefully Sony will show us some love down here and send us a few Anniversary consoles so I can buy one.

SnakeEyes

Banned
It's never felt like it. The 360 was/is huge here, and Xbone seems to be also pretty popular.

Sales aside, it's always seemed pretty equal between MS and Sony.
Having been involved in the sector, nope - NZ has been Sony land.

Hopefully Sony will show us some love down here and send us a few Anniversary consoles so I can buy one.
You're going to be out of luck - unless you win the ONE that PlayStation NZ is giving away on Facebook, your only way to get one will be to buy one off eBay.

As a New Zealander I approve of this thread. May very well make our national newspaper/TVs news. We crave any kind of international recognition, however mundane. Been meaning to pop next door and let jango fett know he has been mistaken for Caucasian.

Joni

Meaningless title no? It is essentially stating that it did better than the Wii U and the Xbox One? If it was the last 10 years, you'd get a comparison to the Wii. If it was the best selling, you'd get comparisons to the PS3. But this is just saying the best launch since 2010?

hongcha

I live in NZ, and this news comes as no surprise. PS4 is clearly #1, X1 is #2, and Wii U is a very distant #3 (it's not even sold at most retail stores anymore).

Meaningless title no? It is essentially stating that it did better than the Wii U and the Xbox One?

Unless they mean 04-14, but then the use of the decade is weird because that usually refers to the ten year period you are currently in 2010-2020

In terms of advertising and exposure. I'm not disputing the sales, it's just the term "Sony land" makes it sound like it dominates here, where it clearly doesn't.

Your anecdotal evidence clearly doesn't match up with the rest of the population then. Sony DO dominate the NZ market and have ever since the PS1. To a lot of people here, PS == videogames.

ddikxela

Having been involved in the sector, nope - NZ has been Sony land.

You're going to be out of luck - unless you win the ONE that PlayStation NZ is giving away on Facebook, your only way to get one will be to buy one off eBay.

Boo! Just one?!

Guess I'll be paying a scalper...... again

ZeroX03

Banned
It's never felt like it. The 360 was/is huge here, and Xbone seems to be also pretty popular.

Sales aside, it's always seemed pretty equal between MS and Sony.

No anecdotal evidence please. I've had enough of dealing with oconnomoyaki's "but I went to all the retailers in Wellington and Xbone was beating PS4".

(Also how can you say never felt like it? Did you miss PS1 and PS2? N64, GC and Xbox had literally nothing on these systems.)

Not when the PS3 was $1000.

In terms of advertising and exposure. I'm not disputing the sales, it's just the term "Sony land" makes it sound like it dominates here, where it clearly doesn't.

The PS3 was the top selling console in New Zealand too. Not to mention if you go back and look at sales charts across last gen you'll see PS3 multiplats beating 360, which was not the case for a lot of the Western world. Even the PSP did incredibly well, on par with DS.

I don't have numbers for when the PS3 launched - and I suspect Wii was #1 then - but for most of the PS3's life it's been well ahead of the competition. We're up there with Spain for PlayStation brand dominance. Pokemon is basically the only reason Nintendo is still holding on here.

Not when the PS3 was $1000.

Yes it did, at NZ$1200.

No anecdotal evidence please. I've had enough of dealing with oconnomoyaki's "but I went to all the retailers in Wellington and Xbone was beating PS4".

The PS3 was the top selling console in New Zealand too. Not to mention if you go back and look at sales charts across last gen you'll see PS3 multiplats beating 360, which was not the case for a lot of the Western world. Even the PSP did incredibly well, on par with DS.

I don't have numbers for when the PS3 launched - and I suspect Wii was #1 then - but for most of the PS3's life it's been well ahead of the competition. We're up there with Spain for PlayStation brand dominance. Pokemon is basically the only reason Nintendo is still holding on here.

Pretty sure it beat the Wii fairly regularly, even back then. Nintendo's always treated us like shit, so they've never really done well here outside of their handhelds.

ZeroX03

Banned
Pretty sure it beat the Wii fairly regularly, even back then. Nintendo's always treated us like shit, so they've never really done well here outsold of their handhelds.

I'm pretty sure MK8 blew up the charts and got Wii to #1 for a while, but it's been a long time. I was friends with an EB manager back then and both consoles could be tough to get your hands on. 360's 'success' in New Zealand so to speak was probably a combination of PlayStation's price and Wii's supply constraints, leaving it the only other readily available option.

ISee

But maybe it is the fastet selling console of the decade in NZ and there were also stockpiles laying around because of extreme oversupply.

whynotboth.gif

;)

GZ sony.

Top Bottom