• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
unrelated

Though unrelated zomgbbqftw, I strongly believe production lines for the Wii U have been halted for the indefinite future, much like Nintendo proceeded with the Gamecube in early 2003 to reduce excess stock.

This will make it even more harder for Nintendo to reduce hardware costs. The longterm prospects of the Wii U is diminishing every month and I wouldn't be surprised its lifetime sales to hover at 15 million?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think it will be less than 20k from looking around shops and online. PS4 just has zero availability. The scalpers price has actually gone up a bit which indicates extremely low retail availability. Sony need to get the second major shipment here ASAP.

Thinking about it, do we have more recent news about One's current and future availability?
And what about other consoles' second weeks?

Ty4on

PS4 outselling WiiU, water is wet. High first week sales doesn't mean it'll be the next PS2 though. Consoles have gotten a lot more front loaded lately with the WiiU and PSVita both having good first week sales.
failhard_130wkvearv.png

liger05

FELLOW WII U OWNERS THAT ARE HATIN'

We bought the new Dreamcast. Face it, they've tried most of their A game now and it's still not moving units. But you know what? I loved my Dreamcast and I'm already loving my Wii U.

Don't be sad that the PS4 and XBox One are killing it, just enjoy it. Get one of those other 2 when you can afford it for some 3rd party support or build yourself a PC. But treasure your time with the Wii U every 3 months or so when another fantastic game comes out for it. We're the lucky ones, we get to experience some of Nintendos best work, but there's no reason to hate on everything else. Knack is fun, give it a chance even though it's not in the same league as 3D World and you might change your tune.

Tonight, I'm going to give Killzone a shot and then probably spend the rest of my night playing 3D World. It's OK to back the loser, just let it go.

I dont understand why people need to take to take it so seriously and get emotionally attached to a platform.

We saw the same with the Vita when people were dissing that platform due to low sales and some of the repsonses from Vita owners were just sad. There is no agenda against poorly selling platforms just hardware that bombs is going to get called out.

As for the XB1. The way some people were speaking last week it was as if this console was easy to get in store/online. It wasnt until Friday when my friend was looking to get one and we saw its nowhere to be seen.

Could you imagine the response if, this time last year, someone declared on NeoGAF that the PS4 - not officially announced back then, but we knew it would eventually come - would outsell a year's worth of Wii U sales in its opening weekend by a substantial margin?

You'd be an absolute laughing stock.

curb

Banned
I said this in the M-C thread and I'll say it here too.
It's painfully obvious the pricepoint is the main obstacle at this poin.
300 is just too much for peopel to want to spend on a mario game, a pircecut to 250$
is going to be needed here.
Question is if Iwata is willing to do so, beause that is obviously goign to mean that
they will not end up with a profit for another fiscal year. If hes not willing, then its obvious they gave up for at least the short term.

I've been considering about a Wii U purchase but when I think about how I just spent $400 on a PS4 as my primary gaming system, $300 for a secondary Nintendo player still seems like too much. Maybe at $200 in a couple years.

As for a price cut in the near future, I feel as though they really need to bite the bullet and sell at a real loss to boost the install base which they should be able to do since the 3DS is still doing great.

PS4 outselling WiiU, water is wet. High first week sales doesn't mean it'll be the next PS2 though. Consoles have gotten a lot more front loaded lately with the WiiU and PSVita both having good first week sales.
failhard_130wkvearv.png

Isn't that chart Japanese sales only? If you look at WW sales the wiiu is doing way, way worse than that

Durante

Mario's a way better game. But Knack is a good game that got incredibly bullshit reviews against it (it's basically kameo of the ps4 launch and a 7-8/10 but got 3-6s for no good reason), so, glad it sold ok. It deserves a sequel as much as Ratchet, Jak and Sly games do.
I always thought Kameo deserved a 3-6, so maybe... reviewers got better at resisting launch hype?

Note: I haven't played Knack.

FiggyCal

Banned
failhard_130wkvearv.png

Is that chart really showing the Gamecube doing better than the PS3 120 weeks after launch? Uhhh. No. Also I'm positive Wii U is doing way worse than what's being shown there.

I can't imagine it selling more than 20k next week. I can't imagine there are 20k out there to sell.

I know I asked my local Sainsbury's when they were getting new stock and they're getting 1 unit on Dec 13th and that's already allocated to someone that had a day 1 preorder that didn't get fulfilled.

I wish we had more information on what stock was available and when stocks will be replenished.

I think Sony need to start air freighting units to the UK in the run up to Xmas. Expensive, but they need to ensure they have the availability to capitalise on the hype. I have a PS4 and I love it to bits, but outside of Resogun (the standout title) there really isn't much to play until Infamous/Driveclub. Sony would do well to sell as many units as possible before people realise that the games don't currently back up the hype.

Though unrelated zomgbbqftw, I strongly believe production lines for the Wii U have been halted for the indefinite future, much like Nintendo proceeded with the Gamecube in early 2003 to reduce excess stock.

This will make it even more harder for Nintendo to reduce hardware costs. The longterm prospects of the Wii U is diminishing every month and I wouldn't be surprised its lifetime sales to hover at 15 million?

I don't think they will have paused production before the fourth quarter, but after the Chinese new year, I could definitely see a 6-9 month production pause to clear left over stock and renegotiate contracts at better prices etc...

20m is my target because I believe there are 20m Nintendo fans out there that bought the GameCube who still believe Nintendo can produce the goods. I expect they are waiting for Zelda and Smash to be released though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Moving Second Son to late march = great move by Sony.

They need that game to be a system seller, and looking by the EU retail madness, it looks like everything is already sold out until March.

I think Sony need to start air freighting units to the UK in the run up to Xmas. Expensive, but they need to ensure they have the availability to capitalise on the hype.

How much consoles can be transported with one cargo airplane? 2-3k? How much expensive it is?

Could you imagine the response if, this time last year, someone declared on NeoGAF that the PS4 - not officially announced back then, but we knew it would eventually come - would outsell a year's worth of Wii U sales in its opening weekend by a substantial margin?

You'd be an absolute laughing stock.

lol, that would have been around the time I first started browsing GAF regularly I think(Soon before the Wii U released). one of the threads around the time was something like "Can anything stop the Wii U from dominating Japan?". Some really believed that thing was going to be a veritable sales juggernaut.

How times change.

We saw the same with the Vita when people were dissing that platform due to low sales and some of the repsonses from Vita owners were just sad.

Indeed! But seeing those exact same responses being regurgitated by Nintendo fans a year later has made some damn fine gaffing, so it's all worked out for the best :)

Ninjimbo

I don't like to get personal but you are a goddammed imbecile if you really believe this bullshit.
The only games I care about on that list are Titanfall and The Order. The rest of that lineup is filled up with games I can live without, and I assume that's the case for most people. Is the world really starving for a Plants vs Zombies shooter? Another Hotline Miami? D4?

Please. If those games move consoles, then so be it, I was wrong. But I doubt any of those games will be anything more than the complimentary games you play because there's really nothing else.

That's a completely circular definition that makes little sense when applied to your examples. Or rather, you're pulling a True Scotsman: "a game isn't a game because it isn't a game. Otherwise, it would break my argument and I need it to solve that cognitive dissonance."
It's really easy to understand. Do you prefer a deep gameplay experience or a graphical showcase?
If you pick the first, you're a hardcore, if not, then you aren't. That's what I think.

PS4 sold better than Wii U and Knack sold better than Super Mario 3D World? Tuff luck. The consumer decides with their bucks, I can't understand the salty comments here.

I have both platforms and both games and I enjoy it all. Just enjoy what you buy and don't be all salty. I say: job well done Sony, this is how you do it. Nintendo should LEARN from you.

Thinking about it, do we have more recent news about One's current and future availability?
And what about other consoles' second weeks?

Retail availability is quite poor for Bone, but the CEX markup is £145 (33% over retail price) vs £170 for PS4 (49% above retail price), which indicates it is slightly more available.

It's an interesting question though. 360, PS2, Wii and PS4 were all extremely supply restricted in the week after launch, I don't think the situation is as bad as that for the Bone, it doesn't have full retail availability, but I also think it can be found if one's determination is there, which doesn't really seem to be the case for PS4.

SmokyDave

I think Sony need to start air freighting units to the UK in the run up to Xmas. Expensive, but they need to ensure they have the availability to capitalise on the hype. I have a PS4 and I love it to bits, but outside of Resogun (the standout title) there really isn't much to play until Infamous/Driveclub. Sony would do well to sell as many units as possible before people realise that the games don't currently back up the hype.
Maybe. Or, they might benefit from the scarcity. Get people hungry to buy something precisely because they can't buy it. I guess their manufacturing capacity will be the deciding factor.

It's really easy to understand. Do you prefer a deep gameplay experience or a graphical showcase?
If you pick the first, you're a hardcore, if not, then you aren't. That's what I think.
That's a false dichotomy. I'll take a deep gameplay experience that's also a graphical showcase, thanks.

I'm really confused about why people really thought MS had a big advantage in the UK coming into this generation. They won out in the last gen in the UK, it's true, and that was on the back of the PS2, basically the most successful console ever made. Given that the disparity between the value of the two consoles was not only closer this generation (360 much cheaper, far more games by the time PS3 came out etc), but also switched (PS4 cheaper, superior power etc) I'm not sure why so many seemed to think that the MS brand had any sticking power. The only real difference this time around in MS's favour is that last gen was the first real online one, and XBox winning that means people have accounts and friends lists and achievements over on XBL, but does anyone really think that counts for much?

nib95

Banned
The only games I care about on that list are Titanfall and The Order. The rest of that lineup is filled up with games I can live without, and I assume that's the case for most people. Is the world really starving for a Plants vs Zombies shooter? Another Hotline Miami? D4?

Please. If those games move consoles, then so be it, I was wrong. But I doubt any of those games will be anything more than the complimentary games you play because there's really nothing else.

That's because you have awful selective taste. That's your opinion and that's fine, but try to appreciate that for other gamers there are many fantastic and interesting titles being released throughout the year. Also, it's not always about having that one blockbuster titan of a game (which will come in the form of a new COD anyway), it's about having a variety of different quality games, big and small, to fill in the gaps. And the consoles, especially the PS4, definitely have that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I always thought Kameo deserved a 3-6, so maybe... reviewers got better at resisting launch hype?

Note: I haven't played Knack.
Giving the either game 6-7 would be resisting launch hype just fine. Going much lower than that calls into question just how much of the game the reviewer actually played and what types of games they actually like to play in the first place.

Well, that's just your opinion. Others are having quite a lot of fun with Killzone and more importantly with multiplatform games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts. The superior console versions of these games are exclusive to PS4.

Maybe. Or, they might benefit from the scarcity. Get people hungry to buy something precisely because they can't buy it. I guess their manufacturing capacity will be the deciding factor.

This is definitely happening. I got my PS4 at a midnight sale and several people in line were clearly had no idea about the two systems but knew that the PS4 was the big thing. One guy told me, he was really excited for it, but wasn't happy that Sony was going to start charging for XBox Live.

Ty4on

Isn't that chart Japanese sales only? If you look at WW sales the wiiu is doing way, way worse than that

Is that chart really showing the Gamecube doing better than the PS3 120 weeks after launch? Uhhh. No. Also I'm positive Wii U is doing way worse than what's being shown there.
Sales are from Japan, but I think the same trend is shown WW. The WiiU shipped 3.06 million WW the first quarter then 390k the second and then 160k. The Vita also had healthy sales the first week. It was the holiday season and the console was overshipped in Europe, but that is still a gigantic delta.
venturebeatinfographiccropped.png

I think the PS4 is looking very healthy, but beating old first week sales just seems like the trend.

you should probably remind the wii u posters dropping screengrabs of mario in the 'next gen screenshots' thread that they are acting against their self-interest.

How much consoles can be transported with one cargo airplane? 2-3k? How much expensive it is?

Regular shipping adds around $6-9 per unit, air freight adds around $20-25 per unit.

To some degree yes, it certainly helped the Wii. Being the hot unavailable item does increase desirability, but in a race to increase the installed base I think having decent availability is important.

liger05

Not here in the UK it ain't. That's why the record was held by the PSP.

Those are shots of gameplay, not graphics.

Didnt supply contraints have a lot to do with that as well though. The Wii would of smashed that record if Nintendo could of produced enough of them.

Nope, it demonstrates that this industry has been invaded completely by the cancer it started on the PS era, people that played videogames because they became "cool" thanks to the CGI.

Outside of a few indie titles, I don't think investing in innovative or well designed gameplay mechanichs is worth it anymore.
Once you have:
1. Graphics
2. Plot
3. Graphics
4. Graphics

Covered, you can forget about everything else. It's a bit what happened on the cinema industry when the CG effects appeared and tons of people wanted that at any cost, but with the difference that the cinema was something cool way before the appearance of the CG effects, and cinema critics were always aware that good CG is something that won't make a movie good.
The difference is that besides 4 or 5 "frikis" videogames were always considered like a regular toy and they weren't considered "mainstream entertainment" until the CGI arrived.

The "videogame critics" are, most of them, a product of this massification, so unlike with what happened with the cinematographic industry, that always had a renowned and recognised expert crowd that always had on mind what make a good film good, on the videogame industry those who care about playability and those things are not only a minority, but also the ones being considered "frikis" or "not cool" by the mainstream.

I eventually will get a PS4 when it has GAMES that are worth it, but this "consumer fever" for mediocre games with "next-gen" graphics demonstrates that this trend is unavoidable.
How many media will give The Last of Us their GOTY 2013? Can anyone tell me what has The Last of Us in terms of gameplay design, or even scenario design, to make it a GOTY? I'll answer that, absolutely nothing.
But it has the best graphics ever made on a PS3 and one of the best plots of the videogame history, and that's more than enough.

This is what I was saying. The WiiU is being sold at a lost right now, but instead of focusing on the chipset, it tried to evolve gaming with a gamepad that that allowed for asymetrical gameplay or other UI innovations.
Why isn't it a "great console"? Because as I said, nothing matters besides polygons to the "mainstream".

I've been saying that for years, the only difference between my aunt who plays Wii-Fit to lose some kilos and the poster I've quoted is that my aunt it's pretty conscious that she doesn't know anything about videogaming and she won't try to influence the industry to go towards a direction where everything are Wii-Fits and the likes.

Glorious. Lol.

Completely expected Wii U to be the worst selling console but to do it with a 1 year head start is an achievement. People were tired of PS360 and the Wii U just did nothing to draw that crowd and they lost their Wii crowd to tablets and mobile. Now it's stuck in a competition between last gen and current gen so you have people who can buy cheaper console with many games or a brand new console with a stronger future and better hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom