• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

tusken77

"Time to activate it."

"Activate what?"

"Boost Mode."

l3q2MQr2V7lErAhH2.gif

nOoblet16

Strange. Not too long ago you were actively against hardware improvement being able to fix frame pacing. Now that Sony is releasing hardware improvements for all games you're suddenly open to it?

You're probably to busy spouting nonsense and patting yourself on the back to realize what you actually say all the time.
Oops...Someone was caught !

prwxv3

It is a awful idea to buy a pro because of this feature. Many games will probably be broken in this mode. Get a pro for future games that will have pro modes made alongside main development.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This should have been there since ps4pro d1, better late than never i guess.
I wonder what developers who patched their games think of this.

Eusis

You people mentioning 60fps are fucking crazy.

Right...?
As much of a pipe dream as it is for most games, for those that actually aren't capped but fail to reliably hit 60 FPS this could change it. Something like Dragon Quest Heroes for instance can be painfully uneven and this would address that along with some other Musou or Musou engine games.

So 10-15fps higher in unlocked games ?

It depends. Games like Assassin's Creed Unity runs at 3 fps higher on Xbox One with the CPU boost of 13%, which is the bottle neck of the performance.

Games like Batman could gain 20+ frames due to GPU bottle neck. Although a poor choice of game since it's really bad ported.

I'm pretty sure the results if working fine could be great.

The 33% increase on the CPU could iron out every CPU bottle neck in games like

Project Cars
Assassin's Creed Unity perhaps
Assassin's Creed Syndicate absolutely
Mirror's Edge Catalyst

The other great point is the GPU 2.5 times better than the original could do the rest for the older games that are GPU limited like you already see on Infamous First Light

The game runs at 35-45 on the original console, on Pro it reaches 60 easily and drops to around 50-55 on heavy scenes.

farisr

This is going to lead to some really interesting comparisons between games that have actually gotten pro patches already vs their unpatched counterparts.

Also, in regards to frame pacing, yeah no idea if this will fix it. But honestly, looking at FFXV HQ vs Lite mode, I have a feeling it still has to do with how the engine is using the power available. Like maybe, it's pushing the system to its limit, and the system is not able to render out the frames at an even rate due to that while still still managing to average 30fps. Maybe the additional power will allow the system to render frames at a more consistent pace rather than having to play catch-up or something. Then again, I don't know jackshit about this stuff, this is just a guess.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
People that think this means 60FPS versions of games are mental.

enjoy your 3-5fps boost.

At least this will now deflect the hatred for Sony on to the individual developers of the games with locked 30fps.

If that helps frame pacing in a few games, that would be rather useful.

Gitaroo

I think the DF analysis on arkham game before patch is a good indication of what to expect, basically a game with the pro mode check off with zero work being done to take advantage of the pro. Just hope that the is a 30fps cap option like nvidia control panel.

This is going to lead to some really interesting comparisons between games that have actually gotten pro patches already vs their unpatched counterparts.

Also, in regards to frame pacing, yeah no idea if this will fix it. But honestly, looking at FFXV HQ vs Lite mode, I have a feeling it still has to do with how the engine is using the power available. Like maybe, it's pushing the system to its limit, and the system is not able to render out the frames at an even rate due to that while still still managing to average 30fps a second. Maybe the additional power will allow the system to render frames at a more consistent pace rather than having to play catch-up or something. Then again, I don't know jackshit about this stuff, this is just a guess.

FFXV already has the Pro patch like you said, so no, the boost mode would do nothing. It's already using the available power.

Top Bottom