• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Is everyone forgetting how barebones the PS3 was at launch?
It played Blu-Ray discs, and it played games. The web browser worked, only just, and the COOLEST thing it came with was folding@home.
No apps, barely a game to speak of, and it was still amazing.
We are asking for end result PS3 features on a product that is less than a year old.
I totally want everything now, I just realize it's going to take time.

The PS3 had multimedia support (MP3, CD, AVI) and DLNA six months after launching, in June 2007 it got MP4 support and in July it got support for custom wallpapers.

The PS4 firmware is lacking A LOT of features. Right after launch the lack of features and customizability was excusable, but almost 9 months after launching the lack of support can't be excused anymore. The PS4 simply has a piss poor feature set for a modern console. It's ridiculous that one of the most important features of all (supend/resume) is MIA.

image_315293_fit_940.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
watch we find out that its actually SCEA or SCEE handling firmware lol

Haha then the question will be why didn't you guys hire from the competent talent pool that the other western tech companies have access to?

Downloading now... I hope it doesn't break anything! Got my Wreck it Ralph 3D bluray to test!

Toki767

Featured content automatic download...I wonder what that means exactly. Are they going to download demos automatically for you?

Kysen

Look either it's incompetence or they literally have one Japanese guy sitting in a cubicle in the corner by himself with a "PS4 Firmware Team" sign hanging askew on the outside. Either way, it's unacceptable.

IMO it's more like they have one large team that rotates through their product line. X months working on mobiles/tablets then x months working on consoles + vita then cameras etc. If something fails to get done within its allotted time has to wait till next cycle. Only critical issues like an exploit get addressed promptly. I'm guessing that the recent 3d playback getting moved forward is an exception to the rule. It would also explain the sporadic updates to vita/vita TV even for trival things like controller support taking months.

As for the suspend resume functionality I'm convinced this is a architecture issue. A feature like this is too fundamental to have been left this long not working. It implies that an unforeseen issue cropped up which meant it didn't work properly and could not be release to the public. Maybe system instability. Vita and psp had this day one so it's not like Sony hasn't implemented it before.

Cyborg

The PS3 had multimedia support (MP3, CD, AVI) and DLNA six months after launching, in June 2007 it got MP4 support and in July it got support for custom wallpapers.

The PS4 firmware is lacking A LOT of features. Right after launch the lack of features and customizability was excusable, but almost 9 months after launching the lack of support can't be excused anymore. The PS4 simply has a piss poor feature set for a modern console. It's ridiculous that one of the most important features of all (supend/resume) is MIA.

image_315293_fit_940.jpg

Agreed

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Notifications moved to the left side was in the notes, wonder why they changed it, or why they didn't make it a setting or something, odd choice.

Youtube works properly now - also, I can view on demand PPVs on Ustream.tv via the PS4's browser (even though it initially says Flash player is outdated), which definitely didn't work before the update. Not sure about live streams, though.

Envisager

Neo Member
Patch Notes:

-Playback of Blu-ray 3D™ is now supported.

-Sound quality has been improved during 1.5x playback with Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD videos.

-System messages previously displayed on the top-right corner of the screen are now displayed on the top-left corner of the screen.

-[Featured Content] has been added to (Settings) > [System] > [Automatic Downloads and Uploads].

-When this setting is enabled, featured content from the PlayStation®Store is automatically downloaded while the PS4™ system is either powered on or in standby mode.

To download while in standby mode, go to (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], and then turn on [Connect to the Internet].

RedAssedApe

Banned
Youtube works properly now - also, I can view on demand PPVs on Ustream.tv via the PS4's browser (even though it initially says Flash player is outdated), which definitely didn't work before the update. Not sure about live streams, though.

what was wrong with youtube before?

Custom wallpapers
Dynamic themes
Full youtube support
3D Blu Rays
Better friends list
Folders
Touch pad integration with the web browser
MP3 MPEG Layer 3 = MP3 is now in the Intellectual property Notices for the PS4
DLNA CVP2
MKV
Pausing Downloads (yes it can't do that)

Mandatory supported DLNA codecs and containers here. PS4 and XB1 will support these as they are also servers for handhelds in the home.
MPEG Layer 3 = MP3 was in the Intellectual property Notices for the PS4 before this update
Protocol buffers from Google is in the PS4
LIBusrsctp I think is new and it supports IPTV multi-streaming which will be a required feature for DLNA CVP2

Where is:

3D Video Chat AOAC with industry standards and calling to all platforms
Calender/appointment/reminder
Contact list
Log/Memo/history with edit
(all the above with the ability to share information and sync to PCs)

Browser shortcuts on the Desktop/XMB
Smart Home Apps with AOAC hooks

We all know how trustzone processors that manage Hardware codecs work right? We all understand how the HTML5 <video> and EME work right; Non commercial video uses the open world side of the Trustzone processor and EME extensions allow hooks to the secure managed side of the Trustzone processor for DRM using the same hardware codecs/memory/processor. It follows that blu-ray will use the hardware codecs also right? Netflix will eventually use the same hardware codecs too right?

In DLNA.ORG the mandated codecs include HEVC h.265

Shouldn't Sony and Microsoft supporting 3D Blu-ray mean that the routines supporting 3D in the hardware codec are available for Chat, HTML5 <video> and apps like Netflix? HEVC support for Netflix will also be used for 4K blu-ray and HTML5 <video> as well as Chat.... All this means is when one is supported the others should follow on very quickly. This is obvious given hardware codec support...

Included in one of the firmware updates Since I checked last is LIBusrsctp and it supports IPTV multi-streaming which will be a required feature I've mentioned for Cable TV to save bandwidth and in the short term to support Live IPTV from an event like E3, Gamescom or Live sporting events....

Netflix has been supporting local cache in Cable TV data centers Called Open Connect since July 2013 to increase performance and eliminate region to region traffic. This does not include Comcast "Comcast is not using a Netflix Open Connect box that Netflix uses on some ISP networks to help cache content and cut bandwidth costs for delivering its traffic." but Comcast has signed a Peer to Peer agreement with Netflix.

Netflix average speed from 2013 and 2014. Comcast has increased while Verizon has decreased. I suspect that Verizon is not adding additional Region to region interfaces to keep up with growth
thumb200.jpg

usa.jpg

Oh nice, you can chose which notifications to turn on or off - was that there previously? Must have missed it if so, but glad I no longer have to see "so and so has joined a party".

what was wrong with youtube before?

It's been a few updates since I've bothered trying the PS4 browser, but previously it just wouldn't load any videos for me. Works fine now, though.

goonergaz

But the xbone itself was prematurely released, yet they've hauled ass and added a bunch of shit. Sony needs to correct this. This is exactly how they handle their xperia phones, which is why my current xperia is the last I'll ever buy. Anyone who has an Xperia knows first hand, Sony is probably the worst company in the world when it comes to firmware and OS updates.

The difference is the XBO was always media>games on focus so it's hardly surprising...also with sales lagging they need to do all the work to make XBO appear to be worth the extra money whereas Sony don't need to worry as much.

Jomjom

Banned
The difference is the XBO was always media>games on focus so it's hardly surprising...also with sales lagging they need to do all the work to make XBO appear to be worth the extra money whereas Sony don't need to worry as much.

I really hope they don't have that attitude. I don't want them to neglect me as a consumer just because they dont "need to worry as much".

I really hope they don't have that attitude. I don't want them to neglect me as a consumer just because they dont "need to worry as much".

but it looks like thats the case^^

Microsoft announce 3D support in the next update and badabum here you have 3D Support for the Ps4 !

madmackem

Oh nice, you can chose which notifications to turn on or off - was that there previously? Must have missed it if so, but glad I no longer have to see "so and so has joined a party".

It's been a few updates since I've bothered trying the PS4 browser, but previously it just wouldn't load any videos for me. Works fine now, though.

youtubes worked since launch.

Ezi0

The 3D Blu-ray feature was most likely spliced out of a bigger update. If Sony didn't 'need to worry as much' they wouldn't have one upped Microsoft by getting out 3D Blu-ray playback first after Microsoft's announcement.

Alx

The difference is the XBO was always media>games on focus so it's hardly surprising...

It's all a matter of perception. MS says "we're making a console that does everything" and Sony says "we're making a console for the gamers !", but in the end both offered similar amount and quality of games, and both are trying to do everything. It's all talk, but the product positioning is the same.

madmackem

but it looks like thats the case^^

Microsoft announce 3D support in the next update and badabum here you have 3D Support for the Ps4 !

Utter bollocks,you really think they just added this in the week or so ms said it was coming?. It will have been in the works for a while now, maybe they bumped it forward from a rounded number firmware but they didnt just pull this out there arse. Firmware threads are getting really sad of late.

Utter bollocks,you really think they just added this in the week or so ms said it was coming?. It will have been in the works for a while now, maybe they bumped it forward from a rounded number firmware but they didnt just pull this out there arse. Firmware threads are getting really sad of late.

i mean this!

ofcourse they didnt just use magic to bring 3D to Ps4....

Kysen

They probably moved notifications to the left side to avoid the giant black bar across the screen when you streamed and a notification popped up.

Murdoch

Fingers crossed "featured content" means free Playstation Plus games for the month.

It'd be lovely to come home from work to see all the PS+ titles automatically downloaded : ) (Naturally this would be opt IN)

mhd

Neo Member
It would be cool if Sony set up a UserVoice site similar to the one Microsoft has for the Xbox, so people can suggest and vote on features. It would give Sony a better forum for managing and replying to feature requests so it's less of a black box.

mhd

Neo Member
Fingers crossed "featured content" means free Playstation Plus games for the month.

It'd be lovely to come home from work to see all the PS+ titles automatically downloaded : ) (Naturally this would be opt IN)

They had something similar for PS3, one day it automatically downloaded a demo for God of War - can't remember much else.

goonergaz

No, I just think priorities are different depending on the situation...I mean, Sony seem to be doing 'the right thing' - a recent example would be the refund on the LoU pre-orders when the price dropped.

hey can we get a decent file transfer system please? I backed up my saves today and witnessed the blistering speed of 100kb/s.

it takes upward of 4 minutes to move a 30MB save file. ridiculous

Konosuke

It would be cool if Sony set up a UserVoice site similar to the one Microsoft has for the Xbox, so people can suggest and vote on features. It would give Sony a better forum for managing and replying to feature requests so it's less of a black box.

Funny thing about that, Sony actually set up PS Blog Share a few years ago before Microsoft. Actually I think it was Jeff Rubenstein's idea, which would explain why Xbox now has it since he joined them.

orochi91

image_315293_fit_940.jpg

I agree. Sony needs to step up, it's embarrassing how MS is outclassing them
on the software front. Especially when XB1 has 3 OS to deal with.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Are you using a USB 3.0 stick?

USB 2.0 has a max speed of 480 Mbits/sec. This should translate to 60 Mb/sec, but in reality speeds are lower.

Wikipedia:

In 2013, most USB flash drives have USB 2.0 connectivity. USB 2.0 the Hi-Speed specification has a 480 Megabit per second (Mbit/s) upper bound on the transfer rate, but after protocol overhead, that translates to only 35 Megabytes per second (MB/s) effective throughput. The fastest USB 2.0 flash drives approach that speed. That is considerably slower than hard disk drive or Solid-state drive can transfer through a SATA interface.

File transfer speeds vary considerably. Speeds may be given in megabytes (Mbyte) per second, megabits per second (Mbit/s) or optical drive multipliers such as "180X" (180 times 150 Kibibyte(KiB) per second). Typical fast drives claim to read at up to 30 megabytes/s (MB/s) and write at about half that speed. This is about 20 times faster than USB 1.1 "full speed" devices, which are limited to a maximum speed of 12 Mbit/s (1 MB/s with overhead). The speed of the device is significantly affected by the access pattern. For example small writes to random locations are much slower (and cause more wear) than long sequential reads.

The USB transfer speed of the PS4 is atrocious. 30MB in 240 seconds? That's about 100 KB/sec, ten times slower than USB1!!

Jomjom

Banned
Well just watched a couple of scenes from Avatar and Wreck-it-Ralph in 3D. Works as you would expect - snappy and no problems.

Haven't noticed any hidden features yet. I can't complain about the 3D because that's one of the features I actually cared about as I own about 10-15 3D blu-rays and have two 3D TVs.

Now hopefully FW 2.0 comes in the next couple of months.

kruis

I agree. Sony needs to step up, it's embarrassing how MS is outclassing them
on the software front. Especially when XB1 has 3 OS to deal with.

The situation is more than embarrassing. Almost 9 months after launch and there are only two feature updates: a video editor and support for 3D Blu-Rays. All the other updates are negligible.

I bought the system two weeks ago and my number one request for a revision would be a USB port on the back.

On topic, no pause/resume for downloads is poor, such a basic feature. It can't be difficult to implement.

I bought the system two weeks ago and my number one request for a revision would be a USB port on the back.

On topic, no pause/resume for downloads is poor, such a basic feature. It can't be difficult to implement.

Well, it seems like the function is already there because if you turn off the console, when you turn it on it will just resume the download.

Top Bottom