• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Games are Interactive Movies (let's hash this low level bait out)

Can we end this bullshit idea? The meme was kinda funny the first 700 times. I can't even count the number of people doing the "Sony games are movies" meme who play games that emulate movies even more than their games do. And this is coming from someone who believes in things like emergent gameplay and stories told through gameplay. If you worship Hideo Kojima but call Sony games movies... STOP IT... if you were a fan of Telltale games but call Sony games movies... STOP IT... if you liked Gears 5 but call Sony games movies... STOP IT... if you're a fan of Witcher 3 but call Sony games movies... STOP IT.

If your favorite games are Minecraft, Fortnite, STALKER, Zelda: Breath of the Wild and shit like that and you have NEVER praised something like Half-Life, Grand Theft Auto V or any of the numerous games doing as much to be interactive movies as any Sony IP then yeah, you won the ability to lob this critique. Most the rest of you are being hypocritical, not to mention forgetting the existence of Bloodborne, Driveclub, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous: Second Son, GT Sport, Ratchet and Clank, Tetris Effect and even Persona 5 though that one is kinda with a foot in both camps. Come at me haters, prove this isn't just low quality bait to piss off people who enjoy games like TLOU, Uncharted and God of War, prove to me your record is spotless when it comes to only loving games that don't try to be movies. Let's see what you got.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The "prestige" cinematic games definitely are more "movies" than games. Just look at any of the behind the scenes stuff and how they're more proud about the time spend int the motion capture volume than the gameplay. Walk down a corridor with an over-the-shoulder camera, in between cutscenes that are so long that they make your controller idle out and shutoff.

You can't lump stuff like Witcher, GTA5, Horizon, Days Gone into that since they're open world games that don't fall into the linear corridor trap the other stuff does. (I would've included RDR2 there but it's just boring most of the time).

The "prestige" cinematic games definitely are more "movies" than games. Just look at any of the behind the scenes stuff and how they're more proud about the time spend int the motion capture volume than the gameplay. Walk down a corridor with an over-the-shoulder camera, in between cutscenes that are so long that they make your controller idle out and shutoff.

You can't lump stuff like Witcher, GTA5, Horizon, Days Gone into that since they're open world games that don't fall into the linear corridor trap the other stuff does. (I would've included RDR2 there but it's just boring most of the time).

TLOU gets this critique the most but it's 90 minutes of cut-scene in a 16 hour game with an addictive multiplayer mode that was so popular it's going to be released as a beefier separate entity in 2020. God of War doesn't have long cut-scenes and features a hub world full of exploration reminiscent of a Zelda game with side quests and optional objectives. Uncharted 4 featured the most open combat environments of the series in between it's more scripted sections. It feels like everything you're saying applies to Until Dawn and The Order 1886 but that's about it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean... calling them interactive movies is maybe a little unfair... at the end of the day, though, my qualm with Sony's first party output is that the actual gameplay (particularly the core mechanics) just doesn't tend to be the driving reason to play them. There are exceptions, obviously, but it usually feels like the focus is elsewhere.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Ooooh somebody is a little touchy about their Sony movies, er games.

Joking aside, while I had a PS4 I played and loved Horizon Zero Dawn - it was definitely NOT a movie.
Also played KZ: ShawdowFall - okayish game - not a movie
Played Infamous 2nd Son - hated it but NOT a movie.

I'm not really a fan of Sony exclusives, but I think it's fair to say while a lot of their games are more movie than game, that's OK a lot of people enjoy those games. There are also Sony exclusives that certainly are NOT movies and people enjoy those games too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I mean... calling them interactive movies is maybe a little unfair... at the end of the day, though, my qualm with Sony's first party output is that the actual gameplay (particularly the core mechanics) just doesn't tend to be the driving reason to play them. There are exceptions, obviously, but it usually feels like the focus is elsewhere.

Exactly. Go look at the documentaries for Last of Us or GoW, and more focus is put on making the cut scenes with the actors than the actual gameplay.

For me the core gameplay is my drive. But I'd argue without playing Uncharted 4 on crushing you can't understand how intense the gunplay is. Without upping the difficulty on TLOU you can't really appreciate how hard it is to survive its world. With Horizon Zero Dawn it's all about your creativity and ability to prepare, the gameplay is phenomenal. With God of War the combat got a huge upgrade but it's most noticeable when fighting the optional Valkyrie boss fights (I beat them all, Platinum trophy). The most compelling element of Days Gone is dealing with hordes, which is pure gameplay and again up to you how to deal with.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

For me the core gameplay is my drive. But I'd argue without playing Uncharted 4 on crushing you can't understand how intense the gunplay is. Without upping the difficulty on TLOU you can't really appreciate how hard it is to survive its world. With Horizon Zero Dawn it's all about your creativity and ability to prepare, the gameplay is phenomenal. With God of War the combat got a huge upgrade but it's most noticeable when fighting the optional Valkyrie boss fights (I beat them all, Platinum trophy). The most compelling element of Days Gone is dealing with hordes, which is pure gameplay and again up to you how to deal with.

At the same time, I don't need to change the difficulty in Uncharted to acknowledge how half-assed the gunplay is. It doesn't feel good, regardless of how spongey they make the enemies.

At the same time, I don't need to change the difficulty in Uncharted to acknowledge how half-assed the gunplay is. It doesn't feel good, regardless of how spongey they make the enemies.

It's not about spongey enemies and in fact such a comment tells me you never even played the games on harder difficulty, it's about your shit getting pushed in by their tactics because your character is LESS SPONGEY. And the gunplay is phenomenal, you'll just be wrong on that one, things like the feel of the gun going off, the level of recoil, how enemies react to being hit, the amazing hip fire mechanics all make for awesome gunplay.

joe_zazen

i think you can insofar as the stories in both “Sony prestige railroad games“ and things like gtav, witcher, horizon, fallout, days gone, etc. exist only to give the player reasons to kill shit, and a world to do it in. It is a huge reason why AAA video game stories are crap.

as far as the topic goes, the reason people do this is because sony allocates 90% of their marketing for these games, and 2/3 of their dev resource. for example, we are going to have TLOU2 marketing out the yang until it releases on ps5. Until then we will get 100 million in marketing spend and 600 threads about how great the head stabbing animations are.

So, blame sony marketing for the way they brand and market themselves.

joe_zazen

It's not about spongey enemies and in fact such a comment tells me you never even played the games on harder difficulty, it's about your shit getting pushed in by their tactics because your character is LESS SPONGEY. And the gunplay is phenomenal, you'll just be wrong on that one, things like the feel of the gun going off, the level of recoil, how enemies react to being hit, the amazing hip fire mechanics all make for awesome gunplay.

why’d i replay a movie game on a harder difficulty when the normal gunplay/platforming is kinda shit? Like isn't that bad design?

Generic

Most single-player games today focus on story, characters and atmosphere. This is why almost every good game today is multi-player.

Danny Dudekisser

You're very sensitive.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I happily replayed MGS4 many times (a.k.a "one big cutscene" lol) and enjoyed the gameplay therein.

I don't understand the complaint. For decades, we've been playing RPGs with (let's say) 20 hours of actual "gameplay" but 40 hours of dialogue and cutscenes. What's wrong with an action game adding in more cinematic filler?

I mean, we've literally had "interactive movies" such as Cops for arcade, all the FMV console games, etc and these are nothing like that.

Ballthyrm

Maybe the "prestige" games should stop selling themselves as movies then.
Just look at where they are putting their money.

Pure Story --------------------------------------------- Pure gameplay
There is an interactivity spectrum and some games lean heavily towards the narrative side of things.
Not that's necessarily bad but don't come and tell me they are the best "games" ever made.

I think what people don't like and what OP is ranting about is the weird need that somehow all that stuff need to be judged on the same footing.
It feels like watching the Olympics and complaining about the fact the Gold medalist at the shot put is not a very good 100m runner.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I happily replayed MGS4 many times (a.k.a "one big cutscene" lol) and enjoyed the gameplay therein.

I don't understand the complaint. For decades, we've been playing RPGs with (let's say) 20 hours of actual "gameplay" but 40 hours of dialogue and cutscenes. What's wrong with an action game adding in more cinematic filler?

I mean, we've literally had "interactive movies" such as Cops for arcade, all the FMV console games, etc and these are nothing like that.

Sony is the only one I see this meme levied at.

Even though every other publisher is doing this in one form or another.

joe_zazen

This is some low effort shit, my dude, get better taste in gameplay?

it isn't, just honest. My memory of 1-3 (never played 4) is of mediocre to bad gameplay and lots of story. I played on default difficulty. Maybe I do have shit taste, lol, but it really gave me no reason to go back. I guess if i really liked the story i would have, but i didn't. Shrug

Most single-player games today focus on story, characters and atmosphere. This is why almost every good game today is multi-player.

i hate that i have to agree with this, at least as far as AAA goes. It makes me a little sad.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I think there's more of a disconnect when an action game beats you over the head with cinematic stuff. RPGs are pretty chill, low-impact experiences where moving to a non-interactive segment isn't terribly jarring. When I'm amped up from shooting dudes in the face, it's kind of weird for the game to be like "no, no, look at this thing our art team spent a week on for some reason before you go back to the shootbang."

Maybe the "prestige" games should stop selling themselves as movies then.
Just look at where they are putting their money.

Pure Story --------------------------------------------- Pure gameplay
There is an interactivity spectrum and some games lean heavily towards the narrative side of things.
Not that's necessarily bad but don't come and tell me they are the best "games" ever made.

I think what people don't like and what OP is ranting about is the weird need that somehow all that stuff need to be judged on the same footing.
It feels like watching the Olympics and complaining about the fact the Gold medalist at the shot put is not a very good 100m runner.

I'm ranting about the weird way people who play movie games all the time like to troll on Sony by saying their games are just movies. I'd love for every person perpetuating such a meme to do their top 10 of the gen so far.

Grinchy

Banned
This is just how console fanboyism works. Nintendo has nothing but kiddie Mario games, Microsoft has nothing but mediocre dudebro big boots shooters, and Sony has nothing but walking simulators.

At least the one about Sony isn't true.

DanielsM

Banned
Anyone that says Sony exclusives are movies, which is what I think is the OP is saying - clearly hasn't played the games, at the least the ones I have. I could see it being said about the QD games like Detroit, duh, its basically a movie with choices game.

Days Gone - huge game play mechanics, huge world, maybe the largest game play mechanic game I have ever played and by quite a bit.
The Last of Us Remastered - game play mechanics are pretty abundant with survival horror type elements, I mean it has a decent story and narrative but its clearly has lots of game play
Ratchet and Clank - lots of game play and weapons
Spider-Man - I'm only about a 1/3rd into this but its huge open world, not sure about movie, although I could probably skip most of the story for this one so far
Bloodborne - 99% game play
Horizon Zero Dawn - almost all game play, they do have the interactive narrative tree which I hate but nothing like a movie
Uncharted 4 - I think this one is more of a paint by numbers, lots of game play elements, but I kind think its too safe.... still not a movie... lots of game play mechanics and strategy
Uncharted LL - I haven't played this one, assuming same as UC4 in game play
Infamous SS - I haven't played this one, but it looks like it has plenty of game play mechanics
Tearaway - very slow game, but not a movie at all
Killzone SF - shooter with lots of game play mechanics
God of War - I haven't played this one, but looks like an updated God of War with Bloodborne game mechanics
Knacks - looks like plenty of game play mechanics to me but I haven't played either one
Everyone's Golf - sports, definitely not a movie
MLB The Show - sports, definitely not a movie
Driveclub - sports, definitely not a movie
GT Sport - sports, definitely not a movie
Gravity Rush 2 - lots of action
Dreams - content creator

Some I would potentially put in the more movie type games:
Until Dawn - duh its an interactive movie
Detroit - same
The Order - I would say this has some decent game play but they way the put it into very linear type experience... makes it seem more like a movie... they need a new game play designer

Some I would say are borderline, meaning very slow in nature andor more art than action:
Shadow of the Colossus Remastered
The Last Guardian

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
You would have to be like me and hate modern gaming in general because it really isn't just sony

I hate pretty much every game mentioned in the OP and most games released after 2012 so I can safely say most sony exclusives are cinematic trash and modern gaming as a whole isn't worth it unless you like a very specific type of game

Everything is the fucking same now and I'm bored out of my mind

Last edited:
You would have to be like me and hate modern gaming in general because it really isn't just sony

I hate pretty much every game mentioned in the OP and most games released after 2012 so I can safely say most sony exclusives are cinematic trash and modern gaming as a whole isn't worth it unless you like a very specific type of game

Yep, unless they are like you I feel like the hypocrisy is bleeding out their pores.

Reactions: GHG

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think there's more of a disconnect when an action game beats you over the head with cinematic stuff. RPGs are pretty chill, low-impact experiences where moving to a non-interactive segment isn't terribly jarring. When I'm amped up from shooting dudes in the face, it's kind of weird for the game to be like "no, no, look at this thing our art team spent a week on for some reason before you go back to the shootbang."
I get that. Not gonna lie, though, I feel like shooters (and action games in general) are far less cinematic / forced-QTE compared to last generation.

Show me this gen's Asura's Wrath, for instance.

Sony is the only one I see this meme levied at.

Even though every other publisher is doing this in one form or another.
It's a funny way of tacitly admitting Sony is the only one putting out the notable games in this so-called interactive movie category. :goog_upside_down_face:

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I get that. Not gonna lie, though, I feel like shooters (and action games in general) are far less cinematic / forced-QTE compared to last generation.

Show me this gen's Asura's Wrath, for instance.

Lol, I loved Asura's Wrath, though. That game knew what it was, and it was so over-the-top that it totally worked. I do agree that the balance between gameplay and everything else has tended to be better this gen. I really didn't enjoy gaming last gen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Lol, I loved Asura's Wrath, though. That game knew what it was, and it was so over-the-top that it totally worked. I do agree that the balance between gameplay and everything else has tended to be better this gen. I really didn't enjoy gaming last gen.
I never finished it but I liked what I played.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Reading this post is like reading a post from someone who hasn't played many video games at all.

If you watched GDC session, then you would know how deep their gameplay mechanics are.

I compare Gears and The Last of Us because they're both third person games.

Both have cut-scenes, which are generally the game length of time.

Both features those long so called "corridors" when you're walking from one destination to the other.

Both games features sessions where you're talking your time to walk to one destination to the other.

The Last of Us - Where Ellie and Joel walking to meet up with Tommy and shows Joel the tour of the place.
Gears 5 - Kait walks through the city to meet with her uncle.

Both games features walking sessions and it would be a lie to say TLOU features way more when it doesn't.

Stuff like this is features in many games, but if people actually paid attention, then they would realize that this happens in a lot of games.

I think part of the critique hurled at TLOU is because it was a legit better story than movies were giving us at the time. Finding a recent movie about zombies or survival that hit you quite as hard as TLOU was impossible. And many people never bothered with factions or upping the difficulty and therefore only got a story experience. Some see it as a flaw that these games have easy/normal difficulty and can be enjoyed just for story but for me it's a strength that they excel in so many areas. Uncharted/TLOU are among the best third person action games for both game play and story, to me.

RScrewed

This isn't specific to PS4 exclusives, I'll give you that.

Played some 'A Way Out' yesterday with a friend. Yep. Interactive movie. Glad I didn't buy it at full price.

Last edited:
Loved Horizon, SpiderMan and thought TLOU had a good story but mediocre gameplay despite its great animation during play. I still need to pick up GOW, the Order, Uncharted 4 (didn’t like uncharted 1 & 2). Ratchet and Clank was.. ok for a kids game, looked great but the gameplay was meh. Didn’t like Bloodborne.
Anything else I should try?

Three

And yet I've never heard this shit for games like Hellblade. They could never stop talking about their motion capture. Ever wonder why you don't hear it?

It boils down to one thing. This game is well recieved by the public, it's selling a lot, it's winning awards, how can I discredit it?

It's a movie, I play real games!

Last edited:

yodine53

Technically, they are interactive movies. I mean, Mark Cerny (yeah the guy behind today's news) used the term to describe Uncharted this year at the GDC awards (check the video below at 02:12:37). I think even the creator of Uncharted, Amy Hennig used the term in an interview.

While i don't think it's the most accurate form to describe these type of games, whatever name is used doesn't change the fact that they are wonderful experiences.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love single player only focus games with no mtx. Be it linear as hell or open world... We get ao few of those and You still want to take it away? I will take my uncharteds and god of wars happily. I will play those, experience a great game and go back to souls.
Wgat I mean tp say is: i love me some linear focused games. I someone who do not play online or get i to any microtransactions, I only have few games on ps4 and all of those are great. God, uc, horizon, days gone, colossus, guardian, infamous and a few more titles.
I am still going back most often to souls games (2 is my fav) but single player games are a dying breed. Uncharted 4 is cinematic and glorious but I dont think it lacks gameplay at all. Detroit on the other hand lacked gameplay and had a boring stupid story.
Also - often the more open world the game is, the worse and less focused it gets like terrible gta 5 (but iv was still good)

Last edited:

Woodchipper

You’re right, I couldn’t agree more. Gran Turismo, MLB, Ratchet, Uncharted, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Resogun, Persona, Horizon, God of War, etc, they’re are all the fucking same.

Fbh

That's just some low level fanboy argument. Same as the "every Sony exclusive is the same" image with the cherry picked screenshots.

Quantic Dream and Supermassive games aside (where the whole point is that it's sort of an interactive movie), the only Sony game this gen which IMO took it a bit too far with the cinematic stuff was Uncharted 4 , and I think even internally they realized because Lost Legacy was much better in this regard and TLOU 2 is also looking great

Top Bottom