• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

spoiler: gamers are shallow

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything
$60 game vs $500 console?

lol ok

It's useless except as a gauge of prevailing opinion on gaming centered forums

The hardcore gamer centric that is very vocal on the Internet is 100% following Sony at this time. However it was one of a half dozen market segments in the gaming world. It is also the smallest gaming segment, but the hardcore too spend, and talk, the most.

The biggest issue for MSFT is, and has always been, price vs PS4. They have to prove value over time to the market segments they are interested in going after. If MSFT does subsidize the Xbox, then it opens it up as a good value for multiple market segments that are not part of the hardcore gamer segment.

And so did the PS3 at launch, went slow, but look how it ended up now? Having a rough start does not mean "the end."

Just got back from E3. Called my Dad to say happy fathers day. He asked me about my trip. And then went on to tell me he heard about E3 on the nightly news. I asked him what he heard. He told me Sony was 100 dollars cheaper than Microsoft even though the systems are similar. And that Sony doesn't have software restrictions and allows used games. He asked me why anybody would choose the Microsoft System over Sony.

My Dad knows nothing about games. So if the word is already spreading across the main stream, it is bad news for Microsoft. The only 2013 exclusive they had at E3 I liked was Forza 5. But I am not going to pay 500 for Forza 5.

FranXico

And so did the PS3 at launch, went slow, but look how it ended up now? Having a rough start does not mean "the end."

Sony took action. They retired Krazy Ken and worked extremely hard on PR as well as investing (properly) on first parties - with both time and money. They did those things because the electronics division is important to them, and they realized they can't hope to run a profitable business without catering to gamers.

I don't see MS taking the same attitude. Not when the vast majority of their profits come from Windows and Office. Established and iron-clad monopolies.

XBox came into being because the Dreamcast (which was running Windows CE) failed, without any prospect of SEGA ever being able to come back. XBox ALWAYS was a trojan, just like the Dreamcast was one (albeit indirectly so). Gamers should have known better from the very beginning.

YES, and god MS really deserves to vanish from gaming! They truly are assholes over there to have the nerve to let us gamers have to check it with them to play our games. fuck off MS hope you enjoy the view from the gutter.

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

I'm not really sure the numbers are bad just because of 'deep' issues like DRM and owner rights. Some people, sure. That's my issue. But there are other issues like it being less powerful, containing a camera array I don't want that they are forcing to be hooked up and it's $100 more than the more powerful PS4.

Even if they fix the DRM thing, or offer enough new rights digitally to assuage those mad at losing them physically... they still have other MAJOR issues to fix.

40,000 people, at the end of the day, isn't a huge amount when you consider that the units based for these consoles are in the tens of millions, but I still enjoy laughing at this.
Spinning like a top.
LOL; seriously, Microsoft's execs need some serious training by the PR team.
You can pour all the perfume on a piece of crap, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a turd.

Their approach is not viable. It's like trying to fit a cylinder into a triangle shaped hole.

Cloudy

Banned
Im trying to think about this mess objectively...and i think MS jumped the gun 10 years early and also doesnt have the consumer trust needed for it.

You cannot sell games on physical media and then try to regulate transfers of said games. They should gone with no disk drive (DD only) and taken that backlash. It would have been much less IMO

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

People are still posting this image? People pointed out the flawed logic in showing a handful of people playing the game (which are always bumped up to the front of the page) against a total membership of several hundred like two days after that image started circulating the internet...

VariantX

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

You know, that's 17 pages long and it's not a clear picture of whats going on if we can't see the other 16 pages of activity.

Ding-Ding

Poll is Bullshit. Its a misleading poll and it doesnt by any means represent gamers in general...

I didn't get a chance to vote, PS4 should be on 38985

MS: AND GUESS WHAT GAMERS, WE AINT CHANGIN ANYTHING

It'd be interesting to see Microsoft's profit compared to Sony. I think the reason why they are ok with some of this is because with their consumer policies MS would eliminate used games sales/piracy, and 'forced online' would probably give them more profit per consumer. So while Sony has more consumers, MS ends up with higher profit. Hm, I don't know. We'll see.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

People need to STOP POSTING THIS FUCKING PIC.
It's damn useless and doesn't mean shit.

Out of more than 800 people, 20something are playing the game. Big fucking deal. Steam shows the people currently ingame first, so this means nothing at all. If all the rest didn't buy the game (which I doubt), I'd say that group was a success.

inky

Out of more than 800 people, 20something are playing the game. Big fucking deal. Steam shows the people currently ingame first, so this means nothing at all. If all the rest didn't buy the game (which I doubt), I'd say that group was a success.

Nevermind it was a public group anyone could join. Surely no one would join it just to mess with the people in the group. I mean, this is the internet we are talking about.

It is a stupid pic that has no purpose in any thread really.

Limanima

I doubt that MS will not change anything. They better, or else...
For starters, Kinect has to go away and cut the price by $100. They didn't show nothing Kinect related, so why the fk include that piece of crap in the base SKU?

Yeah...

I was the most die hard of 360 fans. Loved it. But even I have to face reality. I don't want to give up my consumer rights. So I have to make the intelligent decision.

I just hope Microsoft changes course before it's too late.

only 40,000 of the 150+ million console owners voted on this poll. It too is damn useless and doesn't mean shit.

Jomjom

Banned
Just got back from E3. Called my Dad to say happy fathers day. He asked me about my trip. And then went on to tell me he heard about E3 on the nightly news. I asked him what he heard. He told me Sony was 100 dollars cheaper than Microsoft even though the systems are similar. And that Sony doesn't have software restrictions and allows used games. He asked me why anybody would choose the Microsoft System over Sony.

My Dad knows nothing about games. So if the word is already spreading across the main stream, it is bad news for Microsoft. The only 2013 exclusive they had at E3 I liked was Forza 5. But I am not going to pay 500 for Forza 5.

Hahah. My wife told me the other day that we aren't allowed to get the Xbone if I was considering it. She said she heard on the news that it would require some camera that would be spying on us and passing information to the government. None of that is true, but I love that news somewhere is spreading that around.

only 40,000 of the 150+ million console owners voted on this poll. It too is damn useless and doesn't mean shit.

The number of people who voted is actually not as irrelevant as you think. Surveys with small sample sizes are actually pretty accurate. It's other factors such as the sample source that matters.

How are people supposed to run damage control without pics like these? If you have a better idea I am all ears.

hawk2025

Do you understand Statistics?

The proper criticism of this poll is NOT the sample size, it's the sample selection.

40,000 is more than enough to get an incredibly precise estimate of the population.

FeD.nL

At this point the damage is done. I know we still got 5 months to go but I don't see a massive shift in goodwill happening unless MS dramatically change their attitude and message.

The number of people who voted is actually not as irrelevant as you think. Surveys with small sample sizes are actually pretty accurate. It's other factors such as the sample source that matters.
40,000 isn't even a particularly small sample size. Political polling typically uses samples of a few thousand to represent a population of ~240M.

The issues with this are more whether the sample is representative, as you say.

ymmv

Banned
40,000 isn't even a particularly small sample size. Political polling typically uses samples of a few thousand to represent a population of ~240M.

The issues with this are more whether the sample is representative, as you say.

Well, let's look at another recent poll in UK tabloid The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gaming/4964006/ps4-vs-xbox-one-e3-poll.html

36,000 voters. Am I seeing a pattern here? This is Xbox country too.

OSHAN

If you're an Xbox gamer, you still should have voted PS4 in that poll. Why? Because the more Microsoft sees they're making a mistake, the more likely they'll change their policy.

Top Bottom