• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware and Software selling faster than PS2 in Asia

ZhugeEX

Banned
PS4 launched Dec 2013 in Asia and March 2015 in China. So far sales are tracking ahead of all other PS platforms

TxkX2Is.png

Source? And I'm not surprised the number has gone up--China has lifted the ban on gaming consoles only recently, no? Do the numbers track the number of units that were sold on the gray market?

Another factor is that Asian countries in general are better-off now than they were even 10 years ago. Higher disposable income.

Source? And I'm not surprised the number has gone up--China has lifted the ban on gaming consoles only recently, no? Do the numbers track the number of units that were sold on the gray market?

Another factor is that Asian countries in general are better-off now than they were even 10 years ago. Higher disposable income.

Source in Sony's Asia press conference ongoing right now.

kurahador

This is damn impressive considering asian countries tends to favor console that are pirate-able. Last gen it was x360.

Madness

This is damn impressive considering asian countries tends to favor console that are pirate-able. Last gen it was x360.

True, but it's been what 10-15 years since the rollout of PS2 worldwide. I don't think China got PS2 until 2004? Look at the massive differences happening in Asia outside of Japan. India and China are fast becoming global powers, and China has become the second largest economy in the world, and in a few years will be the de facto largest economy in the world. This means hundreds of millions of people are added to the middle class, millions become super rich etc. There are probably more middle class people in India, China, South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, than there are people in the US.

Plus, it's no more about the pirate-able console, but the fact PS4 is a status symbol. PC is still king in Asia because of the piracy and stream factor. People can easily have large HDTV's, satellite Internet in India and China, and so much easier to hook up a console now.

This is great for Sony and for gaming though. Pretty soon, we'll see a larger generation of kids grow up with their own consoles, build their own gaming memories. Maybe we can start to see studios that will rival western development, much like western rivaled Japan.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Zhuge may need to correct me, but that may be due to more (and higher quality) localisations than in the past.

It probably has more to do with the market penetration and support. The PS3 went for a broader and international approach in its mid life, SEA got an official PS3 and PSP release post 2009 I believe.

It was only in the PS4 (and Vita) that it went for the international approach to marketing and support on its first year of its release. Majority of the countries in Asia got official PS4 support within the year of its release.

Can't speak for the PS2, AFAIK it never got an official release in TH, ID, VN, and PH.

Zambayoshi

Hopefully this will translate into more Japan-only games being localised for Asia, i.e. Japanese audio / English subs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Xbox brand was always too US-centric to us.

The Our Filipino neighbors might prefer it though.

Philippines is more of a PlayStation country.

Madness

It amazes me how worldwide a brand PlayStation is. Stretching from Japan to all the way west.

It's Sony. The Sony brand is still strong outside of Japan as being the top tier in electronics. Even with the push by Samsung and LG, there are still millions of people who feel Sony products are superior.

So the choice of hardware by Microsoft, which has pretty much only ever been a software company in Asia, and a games console by Sony, it's easy to see what people will go for. Microsoft is going hard in places like India and China to change this with their Xbox brand, especially last gen with Xbox 360 but when push comes to shove, they'll still want Sony, especially if they've had PS2 in the past. People also see Sony PlayStation as an Asian brand, and Xbox as an American one.

Alo0oy

Banned
Asia, Europe, and the Middle East are hugely covering up the less than ideal US sales and underwhelming Japanese sales.

They're the reason WW PS4 sales are phenomenal despite mediocre sales in the US and Japan.

Occam

Asia, Europe, and the Middle East are hugely covering up the less than ideal US sales and underwhelming Japanese sales.

They're the reason WW PS4 sales are phenomenal despite mediocre sales in the US and Japan.

PS4 sales are not "mediocre" in the US. It's just not as far ahead of Xbone there as everywhere else.

Wait what? I thought the PS4 was selling well above the PS3 and close to PS2 on the same time scale?

Clueless, simply clueless.

Do some research before posting.

Alo0oy

Banned
PS4 sales are not "mediocre" in the US. It's just not as far ahead of Xbone there as everywhere else.

Wait what? I thought the PS4 was selling well above the PS3 and close to PS2 on the same time scale?

Worldwide, it's doing extremely well, but 200k monthly sales in the US are what I'd call mediocre, the PS2 and Wii were selling 400k+ at that point in their lifecycle in the US.

Alo0oy

Banned
LTD wise it's doing well because sales were very front loaded. However, if you were to compare YTD, I'm pretty sure PS3 would be ahead of PS4.

It's not about front-loaded sales, since last quarter the PS4 had YoY increase in shipments, it's about the US and Japan underperforming compared to Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Worldwide, it's doing extremely well, but 200k monthly sales in the US are what I'd call mediocre, the PS2 and Wii were selling 400k+ at that point in their lifecycle in the US.

They were also $150 - $200 cheaper than the PS4 at the same point as well.

Occam

It's still selling better than most game systems in history. That's hardly mediocre.

Alo0oy

Banned
They were also $150 - $200 cheaper than the PS4 at the same point as well.

That could be a factor.

It's still selling better than most game systems in history. That's hardly mediocre.

Well, it's performing less than the last two market leaders in the US. It could still easily be the second best selling console of all time only behind the PS2, but that won't be because of the US and Japan, but despite of them.

malyce

The Ps2 and the Wii also weren't $399 at any point in their life cycles. Consoles will never do those numbers outside of the holiday shopping season again, those days are over.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Impressive - though the increase can largely be attributed to the middle class growth in emerging markets, especially China.

Still, Sony must be pretty happy about these results.

Has PS4 launched in India btw?

Alo0oy

Banned
The Ps2 and the Wii also weren't $399 at any point in their life cycles. Consoles will never do those numbers outside of the holiday shopping season again, those days are over.

Apparently, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East didn't get that memo.

Which was my original point.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yes. It sold 50k there in first few months.

That's great. Do we have any data for comparison sake?

Sony is quite invested in India and is one of their better performing markets, so glad that gaming is following that trend.

NEO0MJ

Aside from improved wealth, easier access to consoles at cheaper prices helped a lot. Where I lived if you wanted a PS2 it would have cost you $600+ at launch and the PS3 would have cost you $1600.

Here in Korea the PS4 seems to be doing quite well as well, also really surprised by the amount of localized games. Seems the PS4 has a bright future ahead and there's only hoping the price drop in Japan can convince a lot of gamers to buy it as well.

Damn, nothing stops the PS train globally.

It's staggering to think they have the whole world on lock except US and UK.
Barely anyone I know uses an XB1 in my little corner of the globe.

Damn, nothing stops the PS train globally.

It's staggering to think they have the whole world on lock except US and UK.
Barely anyone I know uses an XB1 in my little corner of the globe.

Yeah, XBox populations is very scarce around my region as well. Playstation is everywhere.
People even call any gaming console 'Playstation' here (metonimy).

Ogawa-san

A chart like that for our region would look similar. Not necessarily because PS4 is more popular, but because we pirated the everliving shit out of PS2 games and buying a console outside grey market would be straight up burning money.

Isn't that the case for China as well, at least for software numbers?

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's great. Do we have any data for comparison sake?

Sony is quite invested in India and is one of their better performing markets, so glad that gaming is following that trend.

PS2 ~900k
PS3 ~350k
PSP ~500k
PSV ~30k

PS2 & PSP is LTD and PS3 & Vita was as of end 2013 I think so pretty much LTD really.

India is big but still a small gamin market. It is growing though but I don't expect Console to take off drastically this gen. PS4 is doing very well though and on track to exceed PS3 very easily.

Are you living in India?

ULTROS!

PS2 ~900k
PS3 ~300k
PSP ~500k
PSV ~30k

PS2 & PSP is LTD and PS3 & Vita was as of end 2013 I think so pretty much LTD really.

India is big but still a small gamin market. It is growing though but I don't expect Console to take off drastically this gen. PS4 is doing very well though and on track to exceed PS3 very easily.

Are you living in India?

Do you have any info on the PlayStation sales breakdown for each country in SEA?

Top Bottom