• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has sold over 91 million units, Spider-Man 9+ mil, PSN 90+ mil MAU (CES 2019)

The PlayStation 4 doesn't have a chance in hell of even coming close to the PlayStation 2's unit sales. People so easily forget that the system hit its last 40 odd million sales in twilight beyond the PlayStation 3 and outside of the first world for $49.99-$99.99 depending on territory. Those prices are not only an impossibility for something like the PlayStation 4, the concept of the device is also an impossibility in those regions because of the stringent requirements of having an internet connection for most game content whether physically purchased or not.

Precisely there is nothing wrong with what I said above :)

After 5 years on the market

You weren't specific. After 5 years can mean 5 years and 4 months and so on. PS2 has sold in 87 million units "after" 5 years. You need to be more specific when you comparing sales. That means launch aligned. PS2s 100 mil. ISN'T launch aligned with PS4

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well deserved, it's a hell of a machine. I can see it easily beating out the original Playstation by the end of 2019 but PS2 numbers are basically unattainable for reasons people have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
The PlayStation 4 doesn't have a chance in hell of even coming close to the PlayStation 2's unit sales. People so easily forget that the system hit its last 40 odd million sales in twilight beyond the PlayStation 3 and outside of the first world for $49.99-$99.99 depending on territory. Those prices are not only an impossibility for something like the PlayStation 4, the concept of the device is also an impossibility in those regions because of the stringent requirements of having an internet connection for most game content whether physically purchased or not.

Why not possible ?

Safe to say PS4 will hit 100 mill this year

If what you said is true( PS2 made additional 40 mill unit after PS3 releases, perhaps due to lower prices) than calculate the possibility for PS4 of 100 + extra 40 mill after PS5 releases = somewhere around 140 mill ish PS4 globally although that number is still behind PS2 that's still a pretty impressive feat

Last edited:
Why not possible ?

Safe to say PS4 will hit 100 mill this year

If you said is true( PS2 made 40 mill after PS3 releases, perhaps due to lower prices) than calculate the possibility of 100 + 40 = somewhere around 140 mill PS4 although that number is still behind PS2 that's still a pretty impressive feat
It made those sales because it became absurdly cheap and affordable in the third world, that's not going to happen with something like the PS4. Not just that sports titles (soccer) which were no longer supported on the system here were still made every year in these third world nations. Also you're not taking into account the internet derived nature of these systems and their worthlessness without it, PS2 did not have that problem.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
A big help came from the resurgence of Japanese studios also compared to the previous generation.
Whatever the machine may or may not be didn't matter, what did was that it had the games like the old days.
Couple that with great bundles, pricing outside of the holidays, jumping from game to game each month, everything played a pivotal role in it's success.
Case in point, just like the old days, it is a golden age of modern gaming that we're seeing and thankfully unlike the old days the games will* carry over to the next gen.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It made those sales because it became absurdly cheap and affordable in the third world, that's not going to happen with something like the PS4. Not just that sports titles (soccer) which were no longer supported on the system here were still made every year in these third world nations. Also you're not taking into account the internet derived nature of these systems and their worthlessness without it, PS2 did not have that problem.

Just like another piece of electronic devices wether it's PS2, PS4, PS5 etc prices will eventually go down

And sports title usually still arrives when next gen start

I still saw numerous sports title like FIFA Madden mba2k on PS3 after PS4 releases

Just like another piece of electronic devices wether it's PS2, PS4, PS5 etc prices will eventually go down

And sports title usually still arrives when next gen start

I still saw numerous sports title like FIFA Madden mba2k on PS3 after PS4 releases
Dude, the last game released for the original PlayStation was Fifa 2005... 2005... For the PS2 it was Pro Evolution 2014... We're not talking about generation cross-over here, I'm talking their market is dead everywhere else and people have moved on and then the third world takes over.

Can you see the PS4 ever being $49-$99? I can't, also can't see how that system could work in the third world with the lack of internet accessibility.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
As far as the PS2 vs PS4 sales discussion goes, I feel like there's something to be said for the fact that the PS2 was made back in a time when Sony was still purposely taking a loss on each hardware unit sold for a long period of time and making it back on software sales.

I can only guess, but I'd guess the PS4 was only barely unprofitable at launch (if not in a break even area) for each unit sold. If that's the case, Sony has been making money on the hardware for a while with these massive unit sales on top of making money on the software. Then you factor in PS+, digital sales, DLC, ect. All of this combines into a way more profitable generation than the PS2 ever had a chance to be.

The PS4 doesn't need to sell anywhere near as many units as the PS2 to be way more profitable, yet it's still looking like it will encroach on the PS2's hardware sales anyway. It just means an unfathomably profitable gaming generation for Sony.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dude, the last game released for the original PlayStation was Fifa 2005... 2005... For the PS2 it was Pro Evolution 2014... We're not talking about generation cross-over here, I'm talking their market is dead everywhere else and people have moved on and then the third world takes over.

Can you see the PS4 ever being $49-$99? I can't, also can't see how that system could work in the third world with the lack of internet accessibility.

Don't see PS4 selling at &49-$99 but in the range of $150-$200 is entirely posible

I guaranteed when PS5 arrived PS4 will still be alive for the next couple year

Yeah, it can. After 9 years like PS2 when got a price-cut to 99$ in 2009. PS4 is now in its 6th year.

Don't see PS4 selling at &49-$99 but in the range of $150-$200 is entirely posible

I guaranteed when PS5 arrived PS4 will still be alive for the next couple year

Why not? 200$ MSRP definitely this year. Well, after 9 years like PS2...it's possible.

MayauMiao

This to me sound like PS4 will definitely get long term support even after PS5 release. The console still have so much potential.

mejin

This to me sound like PS4 will definitely get long term support even after PS5 release. The console still have so much potential.

Nintendo and MS usually kill their old machines as fast as the new one is up, but Sony is never like that. PS4, at least, should be fine till the end of 2021. Even if the big AAA games from Sony will be for PS5, lineup should still be solid for later years.

DonF

PS4 is a beast: Confirmed.

Deserved, great console, great games, what more can you ask?

Literally, piracy ... That and a price drop. The only things that could make it do PS2 numbers.

Ar¢tos

And still no Demon's Souls Remastered :messenger_loudly_crying:
Full remake by Bluepoint as a PS5 launch title #believe

Between getting it this year or next year for PS5, I would rather wait for next year. I have been waiting so long, that I don't mind waiting another year and get it in even better form.

ethomaz

Banned
undeserved, imho.
I agree it deserves way more sales.

It is the best place to play games this generation by a long shot... while others companies have a hard time to get what consumers want from a game machine Sony nailed it since beginning... success was just a matter of time.

I'm actually happy how Sony didn't drop the ball even after 5 years... they are still delivering strong lineup... 2019 doesn't look any weak than 2018 or 2017.

Last edited:

Klayzer

It is the best place to play games this generation by a long shot... while others companies have a hard time to get what consumers want from a game machine Sony nailed it since beginning... success was just a matter of time.

I'm actually happy how Sony didn't drop the ball even after 5 years... they are still delivering strong lineup... 2019 doesn't look any weak than 2018 or 2017.
The game library for the PS4 will probably end up being my favorite game lineup ever. Totally satisfied with PlayStation this gen.

onQ123

Who is to say that PS4 isn't going to get another revision that could bring the price down to $149 or $99 over the next few years & push it to 150 million?

Who is to say that PS4 isn't going to get another revision that could bring the price down to $149 or $99 over the next few years & push it to 150 million?
Because modern tech is more expensive, especially x86 related hardware which would need to become custom fabricated after a certain period of time due to manufacturers ceasing production on it for newer alternatives for the consumer and enterprise sector. They'll discontinue it before it can ever get near that cost. The PS2 was a loss leader, PS4 was profitable in like its first two years. Once they release a new console they don't need it for long.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
2020 = 110M
2021 = 120M
The rest of the math speaks for itself, even if they can manage to shrink the CPU down to 7nm (which IIRC wasn't meant for that node, not sure how it goes with an APU).
And even at $199 for Brazil, India and maybe certain parts of SEA, EMEA or the rest of the world, pushing 30M+ after next year is impossible.
People will shift to PS5 not because it replaces the PS4, but because you'll get to enhance your games on it through BC, that will kill PS4 sales.
The countries listed above aren't going to pull 30M+ long after PS4 passed it's prime, when they probably didn't pull maybe 20% of it during it.

Mikey Jr.

I honestly think for the Ps5, Sony is going to lean really hard into cross Gen.

I expect Sony to push their big 3 games as Ps5 games, kind of like what Nintendo did with botw.

mejin

I expect Sony to push their big 3 games as Ps5 games, kind of like what Nintendo did with botw.

Since Horizon, Sony WWS is on a row with sucess after sucess. They certainly will capitalize on that for the PS5.

I would imagine the big drama will come for sequels. Will Sony reserve at least one for cross gen or everything will go full exclusive for PS5? It would be possible to have a new Horizon exclusive for PS5 when PS4 still alive and kicking.

nowhat

I would imagine the big drama will come for sequels. Will Sony reserve at least one for cross gen or everything will go full exclusive for PS5?
Has there ever been a (major) Sony exclusive that would have been cross gen? Re-releases and remasters on later hardware, sure. But a new exclusive game releasing on a previous gen console as well?

MS may have given up on console generations (how that plays out remains to be seen), but Sony has made no such announcements, on the contrary even.

onQ123

Because modern tech is more expensive, especially x86 related hardware which would need to become custom fabricated after a certain period of time due to manufacturers ceasing production on it for newer alternatives for the consumer and enterprise sector. They'll discontinue it before it can ever get near that cost. The PS2 was a loss leader, PS4 was profitable in like its first two years. Once they release a new console they don't need it for long.

2020 = 110M
2021 = 120M
The rest of the math speaks for itself, even if they can manage to shrink the CPU down to 7nm (which IIRC wasn't meant for that node, not sure how it goes with an APU).
And even at $199 for Brazil, India and maybe certain parts of SEA, EMEA or the rest of the world, pushing 30M+ after next year is impossible.
People will shift to PS5 not because it replaces the PS4, but because you'll get to enhance your games on it through BC, that will kill PS4 sales.
The countries listed above aren't going to pull 30M+ long after PS4 passed it's prime, when they probably didn't pull maybe 20% of it during it.

You would have to be silly to think that Sony isn't going to have another die shrink for PS4 & PS4 Pro , PSN is making too much money for Sony not to continue to sell a cheaper console even after the PS5 is released.

PS the market has expanded & there is still people who don't have current gen consoles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The main thing is that it makes back compatibility with PS4 a complete no-brainer. They can simply do what MS has done this gen in terms of leveraging back-catalogue titles to bolster their service offerings and overall output.

Their main goal has to be maintaining their market advantage, which means ensuring they don't shed too many users at the generational transition. Most of all though they need to keep Playstation's brand profile as high and strong as possible, because especially assuming a streaming future, brand is going to be THE thing.

mckmas8808

Banned

I have a question for you. If Sony has 90 million Monthly Active Users, does that mean they are making $450 million a month (PSN is like $5 a month) just from PSN subscriptions? Or do I have that wrong?

Bryank75

Banned
Sony market cap: $63B

Microsoft revenue in 2018: $110B

I’d say their corporate office sleeps pretty decently..
Sony's revenue last year was 79 Billion dollars, market cap is basically a popularity contest and Japanese companies are not popular due to macroeconomic circumstances beyond Sony's control. If Sony was headquartered in the US , their market cap would probably be double what it is.

nowhat

If Sony has 90 million Monthly Active Users, does that mean they are making $450 million a month (PSN is like $5 a month) just from PSN subscriptions?
That's the ballpark - but it should be noted, that's revenue, not profit. It's not free to run the service and the Plus games aren't free for Sony either.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That wouldn't be enough to reach 150mil, though.

Unit sales of hardware are generally worthless without equivalent software sales. Despite those 50+ million extra sales past the 100m units when 360 launched, software sales were nowhere near, and as a result Sony were deep in the red despite having 3 platforms concurrently on the market.

mckmas8808

Banned
That's the ballpark - but it should be noted, that's revenue, not profit. It's not free to run the service and the Plus games aren't free for Sony either.

That's INSANE! That's about $5 Billion a year just on the subscriptions alone (NOT including people acting buying and renting movies and games). This PSN money needs to be used to subsidize a good starting price for the PS5 now that I think about it. No way the PS5 is more than $399 now.

demigod

I have a question for you. If Sony has 90 million Monthly Active Users, does that mean they are making $450 million a month (PSN is like $5 a month) just from PSN subscriptions? Or do I have that wrong?

MAU's can be free users or multiple users. I believe at least 1/3rd of ps4 users pay for PSN. The last one i see is May 2017 at 70mil MAUs with 26mil subs.

Edit : March 2018 has 34.2mil subs.

Last edited:

Calibos

Yay!

Makes sense that MS is doing everything they are to blur the lines between plastic boxes when Sony is putting up numbers like these.

Dave+Navarro+Ink+Master+Season+10+Finale+5znVVkHuz7Ml.jpg

Congrats Sony, you DO have what it takes to be plastic box master!

Last edited:

90 million MAU aren't 90 mil. PS+ subs. It's regular users + PS+ users. PS+ users are 34.2 mil. in last Q2 report

https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/30/sony-q2-fy2018-ps4-sales-playstation-plus-subscribers/

Last edited:

onQ123

That wouldn't be enough to reach 150mil, though.

Says who? There has never been a "PS4" until now so you can't use PS1, PS2 or PS3 to predict what PS4 can & can't do ,

People predicted the death of console gaming before PS4 was revealed just because the Wii U wasn't selling , now look at the PS4 soon to cross 100 million this year .

mckmas8808

Banned
MAU's can be free users or multiple users. I believe at least 1/3rd of ps4 users pay for PSN. The last one i see is May 2017 at 70mil MAUs with 26mil subs.

Edit : March 2018 has 34.2mil subs.

Okay thanks. That makes more sense. I was like no way Sony is making a half a billion on subs per month from PSN only.

lynux3

I think at the end of the day, considering yearly sales, PlayStation 4 will end up around ~125m in sales when PS5 comes out. That's assuming they sale 16-17m a year going forward. It'll continue to sell and get cheaper to produce as the years go by and ultimately stop around 140-145m by the time its discontinued in 2024(?). That'll be real close to PS2... however, all of that could change if Sony decides to drop the price of the base model to $199 or $149 in the next couple of years.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think at the end of the day, considering yearly sales, PlayStation 4 will end up around ~125m in sales when PS5 comes out. That's assuming they sale 16-17m a year going forward. It'll continue to sell and get cheaper to produce as the years go by and ultimately stop around 140-145m by the time its discontinued in 2024(?). That'll be real close to PS2... however, all of that could change if Sony decides to drop the price of the base model to $199 or $149 in the next couple of years.

What if the drop the price of the PS4 Pro to $250 in the year 2020?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
You're just keep walking that line until you're banned again, huh.
It is what you get when people with no broad perspective attempt to appear as a sensible user.

To Sony congratulations are in order. 90 mil+ is a great achievement and PS4 looks to be set to hit the magic 100 mil mark. Although XBO is lagging behind in sales, they aren't out for the count obviously.

It is that Sony has great exclusives, because when it comes to multimedia and BC, Microsoft really stacked up their game.

Top Bottom