• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has sold over 91 million units, Spider-Man 9+ mil, PSN 90+ mil MAU (CES 2019)

lynux3

What if the drop the price of the PS4 Pro to $250 in the year 2020?
That's true too. A lot can change in a couple years. It's possible that PS4 could be just slightly below, match or exceed PS2 sales. Either way, it's going to be really close.

Shin

Banned
If Sony has 90 million Monthly Active Users, does that mean they are making $450 million a month (PSN is like $5 a month) just from PSN subscriptions? Or do I have that wrong?
MAU's are basically people that have logged in x minutes/seconds per month, every company and/or games count it like that because it's more convincing to the audience they are presenting it to.
F2P MMO's for example do it with subscribers, the actual active % of any of this is lower, far far lower. Take the last known PS+ subs vs amount of consoles sold, then of that % people need to have logged in for the month also.

Xiaoki

Don't see PS4 selling at &49-$99 but in the range of $150-$200 is entirely posible

I guaranteed when PS5 arrived PS4 will still be alive for the next couple year
People keep talking about how the PS1 was alive for years after the PS2 came out and how the PS2 was alive for years after the PS3 came out but no one is talking about the transition from PS3 to PS4.
Does anyone still remember that?

The PS3/360 sales dried up very quickly when the PS4/Xbox One came out. Lots of publishers were caught off guard how fast they were abandoned.

So, how can you guarantee that the PS4 will be alive for years after the PS5 comes out? Because of the PS2? What if its a PS3 situation? If the PS5 has backwards compatibility to PS4 then sales of PS4 could die off within the first year.

nowhat

because when it comes to multimedia and BC, Microsoft really stacked up their game
Oh yeah, having your media functions be worth anything in just a few markets (hell, not having PAL compatible HDMI passthrough despite launching in a PAL country too) when targeting a global audience sure is... a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

(I think we all did, and it didn't)

onQ123

People keep talking about how the PS1 was alive for years after the PS2 came out and how the PS2 was alive for years after the PS3 came out but no one is talking about the transition from PS3 to PS4.
Does anyone still remember that?

The PS3/360 sales dried up very quickly when the PS4/Xbox One came out. Lots of publishers were caught off guard how fast they were abandoned.

So, how can you guarantee that the PS4 will be alive for years after the PS5 comes out? Because of the PS2? What if its a PS3 situation? If the PS5 has backwards compatibility to PS4 then sales of PS4 could die off within the first year.

Because Sony & MS wanted it to dry up & move on to PS4 & Xbox One

But with PS4 & Xbox One they are making lots of money from the services so they have more of a reason to continue to push PS4 & Xbox One even after the new consoles are released .

Shin

Banned
You would have to be silly to think that Sony isn't going to have another die shrink for PS4 & PS4 Pro
I'd rather be silly by not passing something as a fact until it actually becomes one and whether or not that will be the case is up to Sony.
Everyone can sling shit and see what sticks then come back years later and play the "I told you so card".
With a die shrink comes R&D costs, if it's worth it and/or feasible (because even electronics have a limitation, psychical or otherwise) then it will happen.
Current generation can't be compared to the previous ones to that extent we're in agreement, but for different reasons.
+ PS4 and PS+ can give it more legs than PS1/PS2 got and co-exists with newer hardware (like how mobile phones do)
- The requirement to play online is no longer free, in that case a person might wonder why not just upgrade as there's more good than bad

What were the end of gen prices for the PS3/360? It was still $200, wasn't it? PS4/One are at $200 now, by the time next gen rolls around we could be seeing sub $100 consoles again. A very attractive price point that was never reached by the previous gen.

ethomaz

Banned
I have a question for you. If Sony has 90 million Monthly Active Users, does that mean they are making $450 million a month (PSN is like $5 a month) just from PSN subscriptions? Or do I have that wrong?
Not everybody on these 90 million active users have Plus... perhaps half didn't have Plus.

Plus users are probably around 35-45m or a bit more because their last shared number was near a year ago.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Oh yeah, having your media functions be worth anything in just a few markets (hell, not having PAL compatible HDMI passthrough despite launching in a PAL country too) when targeting a global audience sure is... a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

(I think we all did, and it didn't)
I was more thinking along the line of UWP support, and especially now that the initial setbacks have been ironed out.

I mean...

Shin

Banned
Not everybody on these 90 million active users have Plus...
I don't think it's even about PS+, but more about the network itself and Vita, PS3 and PS4 has access to that.
Hell a person could have just created a PSN account, auto login to check something and it would count towards that 90M.
90M sounds great and all, but the reality is usually more depressing and a lot of variables are to be considered (only quoting you, this message is more of a general response).

Last edited:

lynux3

I don't think it's even about PS+, but more about the network itself and Vita, PS3 and PS4 has access to that.
Hell a person could have just created a PSN account, auto login to check something and it would count towards that 90M.
90M sounds great and all, but the reality is usually more depressing and a lot of variables are to be considered (only quoting you, this message is more of a general response).
The same can be said for any service and company that is tracking monthly active users. The reason it's important is because there's potentially a large percentage of 90m users that will purchase digital goods every month. Obviously the number fluctuates, but that's the potential of something like this.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I can see the ps4 being $199 sometime this year or not too long before the ps5 release, it’s not going to hit ps2 sales, that system was dirt cheap and didn’t need anything to do with online. Still the sales will hit a bit over 100m, but I HIGHLY doubt it will hit over 155m once the ps4 is done I believe it will be done. Last thing is I’m kinda wondering what the xbox sales are this gen gonna end up like.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I can see the ps4 being $199 sometime this year or not too long before the ps5 release, it’s not going to hit ps2 sales, that system was dirt cheap and didn’t need anything to do with online. Still the sales will hit a bit over 100m, but I HIGHLY doubt it will hit over 155m once the ps4 is done I believe it will be done. Last thing is I’m kinda wondering what the xbox sales are this gen gonna end up like.

I think the PS4 will end up at 125 million units sold.

bitbydeath

I think the PS4 will end up at 125 million units sold.

Should reach that number in 2020 so will depend on how many years it goes on thereafter.

They sold over 17M in the last year alone and 2019 is looking to be no slouch in the games department either.

Ps4 gonna peak around 130M.
Xbone probably gets to 40M-41M.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Should reach that number in 2020 so will depend on how many years it goes on thereafter.

They sold over 17M in the last year alone and 2019 is looking to be no slouch in the games department either.

I believe it was 18 million last year which also made it the second highest selling year. Their initial projection was 16 and then they changed it to 17, and it still beat it.

Last edited:

yurinka

The PlayStation 4 doesn't have a chance in hell of even coming close to the PlayStation 2's unit sales. People so easily forget that the system hit its last 40 odd million sales in twilight beyond the PlayStation 3 and outside of the first world for $49.99-$99.99 depending on territory. Those prices are not only an impossibility for something like the PlayStation 4, the concept of the device is also an impossibility in those regions because of the stringent requirements of having an internet connection for most game content whether physically purchased or not.
PS2 was BC and were able to sell PS1 cheap so PS1 sales continued after PS2 release.
PS3 was BC (at the start) and were able to sell PS2 cheap so PS2 sales continued after PS3 release.
PS4 wasn't BC and weren't able do sell PS3 cheap (due to PS3 using alien tech) so PS3 sales didn't continue after PS4 release.

PS5 seems is gonna be BC and are going to be able to sell PS4 cheap (PC tech, no alien HW) so PS4 sales will continue after PS4 release.

During gen transitions BC has been important because in one side people continue playing last gen games until they don't have many next gen games, and at the same time devs keep supporting the old console for longer because they can be played on both systems so the console lives longer.
What if the drop the price of the PS4 Pro to $250 in the year 2020?
If PS5 is BC then it will become "the powerful, expensive PS" and base PS4 will be the "cheapest possible PS". The value on the cheaper console is its price so the lower, the better because it would help them approach new markets like many families that aren't let's say so rich and emerging markets.

A SKU in the middle wouldn't have a special selling point, and I don't see the point on replacing base PS4 with PS4 Pro as the cheap SKU instead of keep reducing the base PS4 price because the key point on the cheap SKU is having the lowest possible proce instead of its horsepower.

From people who would like to upgrade from PS4 in 2020 to something else will upgrade to PS5, not to PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Well, having looked at more details in the OP and reading the report......There are two striking observations...

1.) PS4 sold 5.6 million units from November 19 - December 31st 2018......Yet, for the entire month of November, PS4 sold 1.3 million units in NA, so for the period covered, NA sales are even lower in the total tally, since the first 18 days in November should net many PS4 sales for the month......So if PS4 sold 5.6 million for the period and lets say NA sold half of November's NPD in the last 12 days, we're looking at 6-700k for November in that 5.6 million.....Then based on the rumors we've heard so far for December's NPD, if PS4 is below a million, say 700-800k, then you can combine that number to the numbers covered in November and subtract it from 5.6 million....That right there tells a tale.....Say, PS4 sales for the period covered is 1.4-1.6 million in NA, then the rest of the world figures is just bonkers......

So not only is PS4 outselling the other consoles in NA, but it's pacing leagues ahead in R.O.W and that's where it's stretching PS4's lead the most......So when EA gave us console figures a year back, people were hesistant to believe, but a console like XBOX-ONE does well mostly in NA, and even then, it's been at third place most of this year there, yet it's pull in other regions is nothing to write home about and third place in NA just can't pull the installbase they seek....I guess, PS is just too powerful of a brand worldwide and the other two just can't get that level of penetration.....I still remember, even last gen, when 360 owners from Europe and in other countries apart from America, felt that NA 360 owners simply got the best of XBOX........and they felt like second class citizens...

So the point is, that worlwide PS4 sales is the real juggernaut here.....

2.) Spiderman sales are insane....Spiderman released on September the 7th and it sold over 9 million units by November the 25th, so we're talking only a couple of days of Black friday bundle deals with Spiderman...So if we include the rest of November and the entirety of December, then Spiderman should easily be tracking at 12 million by now.....That is beyond's Insomniac's wildest dreams and I have no doubt that this game will reach 20 million units when all is said and done......

Overall

Sony originally made a shipment projection of 16 million units, then 17 million, then 17.5 for the fiscal year, so I wonder what their actual shipment figure will be come March 31st 2019.....Currently, PS4 is tracking over PS2, but what's most impressive, is at the pricepoint it's accomplishing such a feat.....Even this holiday, there was no official price-drop in December and the Spiderman bundle for November BF was very much shortlived...So most of last year, we had a PS4 slim at $300.00 and a PRO at $399......Yet, in it's fifth year, it was able to pull the PS4's second highest annual numbers in 5 years on the market...If that's not impressive, then tell me what is.....?

I see even more appeal in 2019 tbh, all those third party exclusives (Judge Eyes, Remake, Project Awakening, Nioh 2, GunGrave Gore, Samurai Spirits, Prelude Rune, Left Alive)...All the good multiplat games that won't be bogged down with latency issues (RE2, DMC5, Ace Combat, Sekiro).....Exclusives like Days Gone, Lost Soul Aside, Concrete Genie, Wild, Dreams, Tsushima, Shenmue 3, TLOU2 etc.....It's going to be a very good year, because there are tonnes of games I'm looking forward to this year, perhaps more than any other.....There will just be so much variety this year....So I expect worldwide PS4 sales to grow even more.....Even more so, if there's a price drop to $249.99 around E3.....

So I really don't know why people are doubtful of PS4 reaching PS2 sales...PS4 does not need to reach $99 or $49.99 pricepoints to beat PS2.......Lots of persons who bought PS2 hardware at such low pricepoints did so to pirate games anyway and Sony did not receive much from those sales. Right now with PS4, it's a different story, PS4 hardware sales would net Sony much more as far as returns, just look at the number of persons using PSN services every month, even if only to play fortnite and buy some fortnite items, they will also see the weekly sales and purchase something else too.....More importantly, the games look amazing, even better now, the hardware does not feel dated and all exclusives look and play amazing at solid framerates....There are a tonne of persons who have not bought a console yet and 2019 is simply going to be bonkers for good games.....I say, 2019 is going to be PS4's best year as far as sales goes.....Yes, even better than 2017....

JaffeLion

Banned
I agree it deserves way more sales.

It is the best place to play games this generation by a long shot... while others companies have a hard time to get what consumers want from a game machine Sony nailed it since beginning... success was just a matter of time.

I'm actually happy how Sony didn't drop the ball even after 5 years... they are still delivering strong lineup... 2019 doesn't look any weak than 2018 or 2017.

lol are you serious, or is this a joke post? best place to play games? Really?
let's see... BC? no, just some shitty remasters, where we have to pay again. Ea Access? No. Something like Game Pass? No. PS now is a pile of shit. Performance and Graphics? Nope, X is way better and offers native 4K, not this bullshit fake 4K.

strong lineup? debatable. E.g. I didnt like spider-man, was a very repetitive and boring open world game, especially when you compare it to e.g. zelda botw its a boring game.

Also, if you really play all the exclusive games AFTER the hype, it get's pretty clear that most of them a extremely overhyped, that's why its so damn undeserved.

mejin

If Japan was still in their prime and PS4 could reach dat $100 price point I have no doubt PS2 would be surpassed easily. It's not the case, so a safe bet would be a number between 125 and 135M for PS4 LTD. At least 16M this year, another 12M in 2020, 8M in 2021, 4/5M in 2022, etc till the end of production (unless sony kill it too fast or sacrifice units for revenue, for example).

They have big games to make great bundles for this and next year and there is always worldwide numbers to support a clean transition.

Blood Borne

This is good news.

I know this is going to sound fanboyish but PlayStation dominating is best for the industry. This is because Microsoft and Nintendo mostly have national appeal, hence developers worry about the reach of their games, but PlayStation doesn’t have such issue due to global appeal. PS3 fuck ups really caused distraught for developers, particularly Japanese developers.

ethomaz

Banned
let's see... BC? no, just some shitty remasters, where we have to pay again. Ea Access? No. Something like Game Pass? No. PS now is a pile of shit. Performance and Graphics? Nope, X is way better and offers native 4K, not this bullshit fake 4K.

strong lineup? debatable. E.g. I didnt like spider-man, was a very repetitive and boring open world game, especially when you compare it to e.g. zelda botw its a boring game.

Also, if you really play all the exclusive games AFTER the hype, it get's pretty clear that most of them a extremely overhyped, that's why its so damn undeserved.
Cut the bullshit... you don't need to make excuses... you buy system to play actual games not BC, EA Access or Gamepass.

So yes... it is the best place to play games this gen.

Games at the end is what matter for a gaming platform... and you see that in the numbers like this thread shows to you... seems like you have the odd hate here.

PS4 success since beginning was all about games... the truth is Sony build the thrust with PS3 after delivery strong line up at end of the gen... that is happening again with PS4... the PlayStation platform you you can be sure it will delivery with games.... now if you like to play promises.

Last edited:

In case you didn't know, BC on X1 isn't free if you don't own a X360 game. PS Now ( outside some tech limitations ) works quite well. Also PS4 Pro offers native 4k games too. Of course, not in same amount like X.

Last edited:

zombrex

Crazy sales but well deserved. Sony should be wary about killing a good thing too early.
The pendulum can easily swing the other way.

Last edited:

mejin

It's not Sony who's always trying to catch up with MS, it's the opposite. All MS acquisitions is MS doing that.

The greatest advantage of Sony over MS is Sony WWS. It'll take a lot of time, money and effort, but MS can be a real contender for playstation. But always remember, Sony won't be still.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Crazy sales but well deserved. Sony should be way about killing a good thing too early.
The pendulum can easily swing the other way.
While Sony really had a great start with PS4 against the competition (added the fact MS screwed big) I believe the Sony consoles shows the true face or kill the competition after the 3rd year to the end of the generation.

The mid to end of the generation is when Sony really kills the competition with strong software support while the competition doesn't have more breath to follow and start to focus on the next generation.

The hype for Sony's consoles only increase over the cycle of the generation... and that helps a lot to migrate to the next one.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
If PS5 is BC then it will become "the powerful, expensive PS" and base PS4 will be the "cheapest possible PS". The value on the cheaper console is its price so the lower, the better because it would help them approach new markets like many families that aren't let's say so rich and emerging markets.

A SKU in the middle wouldn't have a special selling point, and I don't see the point on replacing base PS4 with PS4 Pro as the cheap SKU instead of keep reducing the base PS4 price because the key point on the cheap SKU is having the lowest possible proce instead of its horsepower.

From people who would like to upgrade from PS4 in 2020 to something else will upgrade to PS5, not to PS4 Pro.

I'm struggling with what Sony should do in 2020 with the PS4 and PS4 Pro after the PS5 is released. I do agree with you that it's just stupid to have all 3 on the market at the same time. JUST STUPID! So which one do you phase out? You reasoning is great. But I also wonder what's the fall price that a PS4 or PS4 Pro can sell for before it cuts into profit margins? Like is $180 the minimum they can charge? Because if so that means the lowest a PS4 will ever be in $199 with one or two games.

onQ123

I'm struggling with what Sony should do in 2020 with the PS4 and PS4 Pro after the PS5 is released. I do agree with you that it's just stupid to have all 3 on the market at the same time. JUST STUPID! So which one do you phase out? You reasoning is great. But I also wonder what's the fall price that a PS4 or PS4 Pro can sell for before it cuts into profit margins? Like is $180 the minimum they can charge? Because if so that means the lowest a PS4 will ever be in $199 with one or two games.

They can make PS4 into a hybrid that can be hooked to your TV or became a portable wearable device for VR & normal gaming on a HMD.

The CPU is already mobile & AMD new mobile APU isn't far off from PS4 in power 1.79TF vs 1.84TF

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-3750H-Processor.391021.0.html

Trogdor1123

Kind of insane. Hoping for two more years of support for the thing as we transition into next-gen.
Same, I have no desire to buy a new system right at launch this gen. I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Hopefully will get a good bundle that way. Might wait for a mid gen refresh.

Sparda

Banned

best lineup of the generation, fact. Now you can continue to play x-boredom with dumb simple games for children like sea of thieves and crackdown.

mckmas8808

Banned
Same, I have no desire to buy a new system right at launch this gen. I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Hopefully will get a good bundle that way. Might wait for a mid gen refresh.

You will want a PS5 when you see those first gen games that aren't being released on the PS4. And then you realize that TLOU2 and Death Stranding run at 60 fps at 4K pure on the PS5 lol.

Trogdor1123

You will want a PS5 when you see those first gen games that aren't being released on the PS4. And then you realize that TLOU2 and Death Stranding run at 60 fps at 4K pure on the PS5 lol.
I used to be think that too but honestly I doubt it this time. It's never happened to me before but backwards compatibility is my number 1 concern. All the previous gens (all the way back to SNES from best) it never mattered.

I'm at the point where games are "good enough". I'm not quite sure how to put it in words. If there is BC and it does stuff like how the x does, but better? I might be in day 1.

Not interested in tlou2 or death standing at this time. The tlou was really good too, not sure why.

Dammit now I want to replay it!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
i think it did after this holiday season. it had a stronger year overall.

sony should lower base ps4 to 199 permanently. and ps4 pro to 349 or 299 to break 110 mill next year

If Sony lowers ps4 pro to 299, it's an insta-buy for me. I'm happy with the base ps4 for now.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm the opposite.

I can't hold backlog if I wait to buy a new console... so I always try to buy it at day one so I can follow the releases without have issues with time due backlog to play them.

I discard all backlog from old systems when I buy a new console too.

It is like a new gaming life ;)

mckmas8808

Banned
I used to be think that too but honestly I doubt it this time. It's never happened to me before but backwards compatibility is my number 1 concern. All the previous gens (all the way back to SNES from best) it never mattered.

I'm at the point where games are "good enough". I'm not quite sure how to put it in words. If there is BC and it does stuff like how the x does, but better? I might be in day 1.

Not interested in tlou2 or death standing at this time. The tlou was really good too, not sure why.

Dammit now I want to replay it!

I'm guessing that's what the PS5 will be doing. BC like the X1X but better.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
With 91 million sold already, I think your hopes are guaranteed to come to fruition.
A lot of smaller vendors (most recently, Warned Collectors in France) are picking up the slack for publishing physical copies of very small indie titles. Dreamcast continued to get strong indie support many years after it vanished from retail shelves and I'm expecting a similar situation on the Switch and PS4, as long as Sony and Nintendo continue to allocate discs/carts for these vendors.

Exciting times. Brings me back to the days of limited mail-order games.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm the opposite.

I can't hold backlog if I wait to buy a new console... so I always try to buy it at day one so I can follow the releases without have issues with time due backlog to play them.

I discard all backlog from old systems when I buy a new console too.

It is like a new gaming life ;)

Well with remasters you can always go back to at least some of the oldies. I didn't finish DMC until it came out on Xbox One X. Took me a while to get around to it, but hey...I finished it. I got the Last of US PS4 bundle but I had already finished it on PS3, but because it was remastered i considered it in my backlog. Sadly have not gone back to it. I think I will once the sequel is about a month away.

Evilms

Banned
d7e9d4253e0ff9470c445567c4b88ad820190109164139.png

A very interesting comparison between the PS4 and Wii over the years.

Top Bottom