• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has sold over 91 million units, Spider-Man 9+ mil, PSN 90+ mil MAU (CES 2019)

ethomaz

Banned
d7e9d4253e0ff9470c445567c4b88ad820190109164139.png

A very interesting comparison between the PS4 and Wii over the years.
After the 4th year the Wii train derailed.

Asuming that PS5 will be BC (else it would be a mistake of epic proportions) what I'd do:

- Reduce massively the prices for PS4/PS4 Pro and PSVR, having them as the cheap entry product for a Sony system. (200 dollars max)

- Have PS5 and the future PSVR2 (2021) as "current star product" at 400.

With the exponential growth of eSports and the push for VR you cannot mess up by not having BC or making products too expensive for the mass market.

mckmas8808

Banned
Asuming that PS5 will be BC (else it would be a mistake of epic proportions) what I'd do:

- Reduce massively the prices for PS4/PS4 Pro and PSVR, having them as the cheap entry product for a Sony system. (200 dollars max)

- Have PS5 and the future PSVR2 (2021) as "current star product" at 400.

With the exponential growth of eSports and the push for VR you cannot mess up by not having BC or making products too expensive for the mass market.

What price would you have the PS4 Base and PS4 pro? How much gap in price would you want?

It's unlikely the PS4 will hit 125, several factors are in play.

1. The PS4 is down YOY in many regions NOW, and is scaling back 2019 so I expect another down yoy outside the months of big releases EVERYWHERE in 2019.

2. The price is still dropping at a very slow rate which will be worse than the PS3 problem. When the PS5 comes out in 202 the PS4 will likely not be, at least initially anywhere below $199.

3. PS5 sales, which PS5 will likely have BC, will cannibalize PS4 sales. Also PS4 will also continue to have support dialed back.

4. Sony won't be splitting much support with PS4 and PS5 like it did with its other consoles as they are clearly getting themselves along with third-party partners set-up to try and push the PS5 from the gates. This is going to be a huge power jump, and the system is not going to be cheap to make. This won't be another decent GPU capabilities with a weak Jaguar at the helm.

mckmas8808

Banned

1. The PS4 is down YOY in many regions NOW, and is scaling back 2019 so I expect another down yoy outside the months of big releases EVERYWHERE in 2019.

2. The price is still dropping at a very slow rate which will be worse than the PS3 problem. When the PS5 comes out in 202 the PS4 will likely not be, at least initially anywhere below $199.

3. PS5 sales, which PS5 will likely have BC, will cannibalize PS4 sales. Also PS4 will also continue to have support dialed back.

4. Sony won't be splitting much support with PS4 and PS5 like it did with its other consoles as they are clearly getting themselves along with third-party partners set-up to try and push the PS5 from the gates. This is going to be a huge power jump, and the system is not going to be cheap to make. This won't be another decent GPU capabilities with a weak Jaguar at the helm.

It's at 91.6 million now. If they sell 15 million PS4s in 2019 that puts it at about 107 million units. In 2019 the PS4 will HAVE to get a pay cut to $250 at the minimum. In 2020 the PS4 could easily sell 12 million units putting them at 119 million total sales. And if the PS5 comes out in Fall of 2020, why wouldn't the PS4 get another pay cut to $199?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

There is no way this console won't sell 125m with the actual sales it have now.

These numbers are insane and the craziest part is that it feels like the PS4 is just getting started with games like Tsushima and TLOU2 coming out. I feel it could be on the market for another 2-3 years easily before PS5 comes out.

I hope so. It was great for Western games in the first few years but I felt that there was a dought for Japanese games. It only just started to gain steam in 2016 (at least for me). 2017 was an amazing year and 2018 wssn't too bad either.

If we go by PS3's trends then we will get some amazing late Gen Japanese games. :)

Great numbers for Sony and goes to show that respecting your userbase gains you more sales (PS3 recovered well but it took a long time to undo the bad decisions).

I wouldn't mind the PS5 launching in 2021 but we can guess that they want to launch it sooner.

PS4 Ultra Slim perhaps? (Hoping we get a Slim PS2 scenario again!)

SaucyJack

It's at 91.6 million now. If they sell 15 million PS4s in 2019 that puts it at about 107 million units. In 2019 the PS4 will HAVE to get a pay cut to $250 at the minimum. In 2020 the PS4 could easily sell 12 million units putting them at 119 million total sales. And if the PS5 comes out in Fall of 2020, why wouldn't the PS4 get another pay cut to $199?

Exactly and it’ll still probably sell decent numbers in the first 12-18 months after PS5 launch before really running down.

It's 91.6 million now in the middle of January 2019.

It likely won't hit over 100 until close to the end of the year. Then they would have to sell another 25 million after that. Which will be hard to do with most focus going on the new PS5 which will be getting all the attention and BC will effect that. The PS4 won't be $199 initially at the PS5's launch. And by the time it does hit $199 the PS4 it will be 2021 and there really won't be any real boost for PS4 sales a year into the PS5 at $199.

$199 would have to hit this year if you want the traditional huge sales boost that comes when consoles rach $299, that's not going to happen a year or more after the sucessor is out and is the one raking up.

Oh man, it's dooooown! Doomed! Down by a 300k ( LOL ) globally compared to previous year! It's up in Japan, It's up in UK. Surely it would be down in US compared to last year because during whole December PS4 had a zero deals in US! ZERO! Price will be a problem in 2019? No, it won't. You're some bad analyst. Worse than a Patcher. Sony doesn't devaluing PS4 unlike MS does with X1 when it comes to devaluing product and it seems like it is ‘on sale’ all the time. Which it is.

Holiday 2013: 4.2m
Holiday 2014: 4.1m
Holiday 2015: 5.7m
Holiday 2016: 6.2m
Holiday 2017: 5.9m
Holiday 2018: 5.6m

It's really a slow fall. Really! Not anything like the Wii fall.

Last edited:
Oh man, it's dooooown! Doomed! Down by a 300k ( LOL ) globally compared to previous year! It's up in Japan, It's up in UK. Surely it would be down in US compared to last year because during whole December PS4 had a zero deals in US! ZERO! Price will be a problem in 2019? No, it won't. You're some bad analyst. Worse than a Patcher. Sony doesn't devaluing PS4 unlike MS does with X1 when it comes to devaluing product and it seems like it is ‘on sale’ all the time. Which it is.

Holiday 2013: 4.2m
Holiday 2014: 4.1m
Holiday 2015: 5.7m
Holiday 2016: 6.2m
Holiday 2017: 5.9m
Holiday 2018: 5.6m

It's really a slow fall. Really! Not anything like the Wii fall.

All the reductions are in Sony's best selling regions.

no ones saying Sony is doomed, just that they are likely not hitting 25 million. They are going to be on cruise this whole year outside some releases as they prepare for the PS5, and people already know this as the it's all over the media the average gamer is looking at. This also ways causes a drop no matter what system for the last 20 years and the rules aren't going to change here. the big hit on the PS4 is it's still high price and the high probability that the PS4 won't be $199 this year or next year when the PS5 comes out. The PS5 that will likely be BC and a lot will pay the price difference as the PS4 won't be significantly cheaper.

Those acting PS4 will be another like the PS2 (<99 when the PS3 came out) PS3 (<150 when PS4 came out) is fooling themselves. Most people were already estimating this very thing 2 years ago in 2016 but now all of a sudden the PS4 is going to break all the rules and pull miracles? Not necessarily you but some older members here. That was a long thread that was spread around.

Last edited:
All the reductions are in Sony's best selling regions.

no ones saying Sony is doomed, just that they are likely not hitting 25 million. They are going to be on cruise this whole year outside some releases as they prepare for the PS5, and people already know this as the it's all over the media the average gamer is looking at. This also ways causes a drop no matter what system for the last 20 years and the rules aren't going to change here. the big hit on the PS4 is it's still high price and the high probability that the PS4 won't be $199 this year or next year when the PS5 comes out. The PS5 that will likely be BC and a lot will pay the price difference as the PS4 won't be significantly cheaper.

Those acting PS4 will be another like the PS2 (<99 when the PS3 came out) PS3 (<150 when PS4 came out) is fooling themselves. Most people were already estimating this very thing 2 years ago in 2016 but now all of a sudden the PS4 is going to break all the rules and pull miracles? Not necessarily you but some older members here. That was a long thread that was spread around.

Not in UK, not in Japan. According to your statement :
It likely won't hit over 100 until close to the end of the year.

Sony will sell 9 million PS4s till December? That's a huuuge fall! HUGE! For about 40%.

You're wrong about 2nd bolded part! I mean, do some research! PS2 got a price-cut to 99$ in 2009. Almost 3 years later! PS3 was released during Nov. 2006. During PS3 release, PS2 was at 130$. Yeah, PS2s price was also reduced slowly through its lifetime, like is Sony doing with PS4 now, because PS2 has sold well after PS3 release and also PS4 is still selling well at 299$!! During PS5 launch year, surely PS4s MSRP would be 150-200$....and it will sell well, as you can expect for 7 years old console when PS5 will launch.

Last edited:
Not in UK, not in Japan. According to your statement :

Sony will sell 9 million PS4s till December? That's a huuuge fall! HUGE! For about 40%.

You're wrong about 2nd bolded part! I mean, do some research! PS2 got a price-cut to 99$ in 2009. Almost 3 years later! PS3 was released during Nov. 2006. During PS3 release, PS2 was at 130$. Yeah, PS2s price was also reduced slowly through its lifetime, like is Sony doing with PS4 now, because PS2 has sold well after PS3 release and also PS4 is still selling well at 299$!! During PS5 launch year, surely PS4s MSRP would be 150-200$....and it will sell well, as you can expect for 7 years old console when PS5 will launch.

I didn't say December, I said end of the year, so Oct earliest. Holdiays will be the biggest part of the year as usual.

PS2 was under $99 when the PS3 came out. The Official Price Cut was $99 in 2009 but it waa already at that price at most places forever (previously being $129 which was still much cheaper than where the PS4 will be at when the PS5 comes out)

PS2 price dropped quick not slow, you're denying that the PS4 should have already been at $199 at this point and it would for every other PS consoles, ignoring the fact the PS4 likely won't be$199 when the PS5 comes out is silly.

Your $150-200 claim is equally silly. The PS4 won't hit $199 this year. They have PS4 and PS4 pro out right now. You think that with both having low profit margins the PS4 is going to drop $100? Especially when they are trying to drop the price of the PS4 pro as well? along with VR?

Sony is not going to lose money for some arbitrary numbers when they are already the winners.

mckmas8808

Banned

It likely won't hit over 100 until close to the end of the year. Then they would have to sell another 25 million after that. Which will be hard to do with most focus going on the new PS5 which will be getting all the attention and BC will effect that. The PS4 won't be $199 initially at the PS5's launch. And by the time it does hit $199 the PS4 it will be 2021 and there really won't be any real boost for PS4 sales a year into the PS5 at $199.

$199 would have to hit this year if you want the traditional huge sales boost that comes when consoles rach $299, that's not going to happen a year or more after the sucessor is out and is the one raking up.

Sony would have to have some sexual scandal with Playstation attached to it not to sell 10 million consoles this year. They've sold 14 million consoles every year since 2014. Why would they drop in sales that fast "AND" keep the price of the system at $299?

If the sales fell as fast as you think they will, wouldn't they lower the price to $199 first?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The main thing is that it'll be over 100m by the time PS5 launches. Which will put it on par with PS2 for sales as a flagship gaming product. PS2 had a remarkable after-life, which I doubt we'll ever see repeated due to the way the market has changed since then.

That being said, the whole point of the hardware is to make money from licensing and selling software services and products, and objectively it seems to me that the support from the major third-parties always persists for at least a year or two past the point when the new generation begins. By which I mean I'd suspect that annualized titles like FIFA would be supported on PS4 until at least 2021.

Possibly longer in fact if next-gen consoles are technologically really similar, and allow for a relatively low opportunity-cost for continued support.

On reflection, although I initially thought 125m seemed a little optimistic, it seems quite attainable to me with the major caveat that the assumption is made pending future changes; such as how streaming and low cost streamed gaming boxes impacts the market.

Sony would have to have some sexual scandal with Playstation attached to it not to sell 10 million consoles this year.

I never said they weren't going to.

Why would they drop in sales that fast "AND" keep the price of the system at $299?

If the sales fell as fast as you think they will, wouldn't they lower the price to $199 first?

So what you're saying is you want sony to waste money to reach an arbitrary numbers when they not only already won but are already far ahead?

The factors are mentioned above are going to have the PS4 drop in sales the next 2 years, and Sony is going to sit still and collect that check. As the PS4 makes money and the PS5 makes them more money, while maybe shaving another $50 off the pro.

They are dialing back this year, and BC/PS5 next year is going to be the big news. The usual next gen being "near' drop that most systems experience.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The main thing is that it'll be over 100m by the time PS5 launches. Which will put it on par with PS2 for sales as a flagship gaming product. PS2 had a remarkable after-life, which I doubt we'll ever see repeated due to the way the market has changed since then.

That being said, the whole point of the hardware is to make money from licensing and selling software services and products, and objectively it seems to me that the support from the major third-parties always persists for at least a year or two past the point when the new generation begins. By which I mean I'd suspect that annualized titles like FIFA would be supported on PS4 until at least 2021.

Possibly longer in fact if next-gen consoles are technologically really similar, and allow for a relatively low opportunity-cost for continued support.

On reflection, although I initially thought 125m seemed a little optimistic, it seems quite attainable to me with the major caveat that the assumption is made pending future changes; such as how streaming and low cost streamed gaming boxes impacts the market.
PS2 had two things really going for it: the Wii and music games.

Guitar Hero was 2005 and Rock Band was 2007. I remember a lot of families opting for the PS2 versions of those games because it was the system they already owned.

The Wii ensured many more years of SD game development, which helped the PS2 limp along.

I don't expect there to be a similar resurgence of rhythm games to extend the PS4's life, but the Switch will be on the market for many more years. I don't see why a third-party game would land on Switch but dodge the PS4 (barring licensing/exclusive reasons) in the foreseeable future.

mckmas8808

Banned
I never said they weren't going to.

So what you're saying is you want sony to waste money to reach an arbitrary numbers when they not only already won but are already far ahead?

The factors are mentioned above are going to have the PS4 drop in sales the next 2 years, and Sony is going to sit still and collect that check. As the PS4 makes money and the PS5 makes them more money, while maybe shaving another $50 off the pro.

They are dialing back this year, and BC/PS5 next year is going to be the big news. The usual next gen being "near' drop that most systems experience.

You keep saying the bolded, but I'm not sure why you believe this. Why do you keep saying Sony is dialing it back in 2019?

I didn't say December, I said end of the year, so Oct earliest. Holdiays will be the biggest part of the year as usual.

PS2 was under $99 when the PS3 came out. The Official Price Cut was $99 in 2009 but it waa already at that price at most places forever (previously being $129 which was still much cheaper than where the PS4 will be at when the PS5 comes out)

PS2 price dropped quick not slow, you're denying that the PS4 should have already been at $199 at this point and it would for every other PS consoles, ignoring the fact the PS4 likely won't be$199 when the PS5 comes out is silly.

Your $150-200 claim is equally silly. The PS4 won't hit $199 this year. They have PS4 and PS4 pro out right now. You think that with both having low profit margins the PS4 is going to drop $100? Especially when they are trying to drop the price of the PS4 pro as well? along with VR?

Sony is not going to lose money for some arbitrary numbers when they are already the winners.

It wasn't. STOP spreading bullshit.

Sony cuts PlayStation 2 price to $129 ahead of PS3 release

3 YEARS LATER!

April 2009 :

Sony dropping PS2 price to $99.99

PS2 price dropped slowly. Are you senile? From 300 to 130$ in 6 YEARS!!! That's slow as snail.

I said :
During PS5 launch year, surely PS4s MSRP would be 150-200$
. NEVER SAID IN 2019! I'm not denying anything. Why Sony should already drop the PS4 price to 199 when PS4 is selling like hot cakes after 5 years? LOL! That doesn't work like that.

PS5 launch year won't be 2019, but 2020. So yeah, it's possible next year for PS4 to be 199$.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

I’m not sure you are joking or not but 91.6m is for Dec 31, 2018... not middle January.

It will reach 100m around August... I won’t call that late of the year.

Last edited:
It wasn't. STOP spreading bullshit.

Sony cuts PlayStation 2 price to $129 ahead of PS3 release

3 YEARS LATER!

April 2009 :

Sony dropping PS2 price to $99.99

PS2 price dropped slowly. Are you senile? From 300 to 130$ in 6 YEARS!!! That's slow as snail.

I said : . NEVER SAID IN 2019! I'm not denying anything. Why Sony should already drop the PS4 price to 199 when PS4 is selling like hot cakes after 5 years? LOL! That doesn't work like that.

PS5 launch year won't be 2019, but 2020. So yeah, it's possible next year for PS4 to be 199$.

The PS2 was easy to find at $99 when the PS3 came out and you really don't have much of an argument since the official price of $129 is still going to be much less than the PS4 whent he PS5 comes out.

The PS4 is not dropping to $199 next year. Unless you also think the Pro is dropping $100 next year.

I’m not sure you are joking or not but 91.6m is for Dec 31, 2018... not middle January.

It will reach 100m around August... I won’t call that late of the year.

Max Sony will announced 100 million in Sept. Sony is starting the year with news of drawing back and PS5 news imminent, they are also skipping 2 conferences this year. Outside of some anticipated titles the PS4 will be down through most of the year.

Again, this was seen clearly two years ago but now all of a sudden the PS4 is going to pull rabbits out of the hat. Nothing has really changed that would suddenly crack open all the projections from back then, everything is moving exactly as assumed. There has been no additional variables thats going to change things introduced since 2016.

Gander

Banned
And they talkin about starting a new gen, I just don't see it. They could cut support on PS4 tomorrow and I'd still have about 3 years worth of games to catch up on.

NickFire

Sony would have to have some sexual scandal with Playstation attached to it not to sell 10 million consoles this year. They've sold 14 million consoles every year since 2014. Why would they drop in sales that fast "AND" keep the price of the system at $299?

IMO, the only way they don't break 100 this year would be if they somehow hid news of a 2019 launch for PS5 from leaking, and announce it in the next couple months. Even then though, I still suspect they hit 100 this year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IMO, the only way they don't break 100 this year would be if they somehow hid news of a 2019 launch for PS5 from leaking, and announce it in the next couple months. Even then though, I still suspect they hit 100 this year.

They can fall asleep at the wheel at this point and it'll still hit 100 million no problem this year. And that's not even counting the heavy hitter in The Last of Us 2.

yurinka

I'm struggling with what Sony should do in 2020 with the PS4 and PS4 Pro after the PS5 is released. I do agree with you that it's just stupid to have all 3 on the market at the same time. JUST STUPID! So which one do you phase out? You reasoning is great. But I also wonder what's the fall price that a PS4 or PS4 Pro can sell for before it cuts into profit margins? Like is $180 the minimum they can charge? Because if so that means the lowest a PS4 will ever be in $199 with one or two games.
They can just apply a price drop to both. Or to apply a price drop for PS4 and to discontinue PS4 Pro.

ethomaz

Banned
They can launch PS5 now and PS4 will still cross 100m this year.

But maybe some Allien invasion, or worldwide tsunami, or a nuclear bomb, well these probably can break Sony hopes to reach 100m this year.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm pretty sure they will hit 100M around late summer 2019.

Last edited:

EDMIX

After PS2's success Sony became cocky and they thought they could sell console with high price with barely any game when it first launched. Lets hope for PS5 Sony again doesn't get cocky because of PS4's success.

Well Sony also knew they needed to have something like Bluray and still sold very well and with majority of needed features in the box day 1 vs sold in parts after the fact as add ons. So if they make a new media format, its the right move to progress the industry.

Bluray being in both XONE and PS4 allowing for cheaper launches now, is because those 85 plus million units sold of PS3. Someone needs to push the industry and that will come at a cost. I'm 100% ok with that. As 360 was cheaper yes.....also had DVD holding us back (used on PS2 the previous generation) on top of all the issues with RROD, on top of needing to buy a bunch of add ons just to get base PS3 features at the time (like wifi). So coming in cheaper and nickel and diming folks and releasing questionable hardware might be why lots of 360 gamers last gen are PS4 gamers this gen.

Cheap doesn't always mean good and PS3's launch might be one of those times where I'd agree that those parts where needed to make a quality system to push us forward. The Cell might be the only thing they could have went with something more PC friendly and streamline, but I'm not sure all the tech mobo that goes on with that lol

EDMIX

- No Cross-play (This has now changed)
- No 4K UHD Blu-Ray player
- Half-assed Pro
- No Backward compatibility

People said this would really hurt PS4 sales. lol

Agreed. I think that goes to show just how fake that outrage was and that most gamers don't care about that junk.

When PS5 comes out, don't care about its video player (in terms of film)
Could care less if it is or isn't BC (already own like 3 PS4's and about to get a Pro LMFAO)
PS5 Pro supporting some crazy thing like 8k with XXX supporting 16k....won't care as I'm here for games.

All Sony has to do with PS5 is come out with new series ,established series, quality hardware and I'm buying.

Don't care if its weaker then the next box, don't care if it doesn't have BC, don't care if the next Pro is weaker etc Just don't care about that junk when buying a system. PS2 was weaker then the other 2.....doesn't change its monster line up. So PS5 right now is a day 1 by default as the publisher has proven they can continue this.

EDMIX

They can fall asleep at the wheel at this point and it'll still hit 100 million no problem this year. And that's not even counting the heavy hitter in The Last of Us 2.

This.

What many are not factory, is that many games that people primarily play on PS will still release. Stuff like Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3 etc not to mention other big 3rd party titles. So Days Gone, The Last Of Us 2, Ghost, Death Stranding etc are all icing on the cake. Sony out did themselves this generation to a just monster degree. Even when PS3 was ending and they had The Last Of Us, GT6, Beyond Two Souls etc, this is just bringing that to a new level. This should be the standard imho of how you end a generation. Sony is show WHY buying a PS THE WHOLE generation makes sense, not just at the start. This allows them to have gamers able to feel confident that they can invest in a PS at any time and not feel pressured that they are missing something at launch of a new system. ie buy a PS4 now and talk to us a few years later when you want a PS5, we'll still have new games for you.

This is probably why they have such long tails of sales after the launch of other platforms.

sn0man

I'm looking forward to the limited edition 100 million ps4 pro with rgb lighting.

I’d take one with the efficient and quiet MS style x1x cooler.

The PlayStation 4 doesn't have a chance in hell of even coming close to the PlayStation 2's unit sales. People so easily forget that the system hit its last 40 odd million sales in twilight beyond the PlayStation 3 and outside of the first world for $49.99-$99.99 depending on territory. Those prices are not only an impossibility for something like the PlayStation 4, the concept of the device is also an impossibility in those regions because of the stringent requirements of having an internet connection for most game content whether physically purchased or not.

The PS4 does not require an internet connection. I rarely hook mine up to the internet.

I agree it deserves way more sales.

It is the best place to play games this generation by a long shot... while others companies have a hard time to get what consumers want from a game machine Sony nailed it since beginning... success was just a matter of time.

I'm actually happy how Sony didn't drop the ball even after 5 years... they are still delivering strong lineup... 2019 doesn't look any weak than 2018 or 2017.

I wish there were more racers like Forza on Xbox. That aside the lineup has been pretty good.

PS2 was BC and were able to sell PS1 cheap so PS1 sales continued after PS2 release.
PS3 was BC (at the start) and were able to sell PS2 cheap so PS2 sales continued after PS3 release.
PS4 wasn't BC and weren't able do sell PS3 cheap (due to PS3 using alien tech) so PS3 sales didn't continue after PS4 release.

PS5 seems is gonna be BC and are going to be able to sell PS4 cheap (PC tech, no alien HW) so PS4 sales will continue after PS4 release.

During gen transitions BC has been important because in one side people continue playing last gen games until they don't have many next gen games, and at the same time devs keep supporting the old console for longer because they can be played on both systems so the console lives longer.

If PS5 is BC then it will become "the powerful, expensive PS" and base PS4 will be the "cheapest possible PS". The value on the cheaper console is its price so the lower, the better because it would help them approach new markets like many families that aren't let's say so rich and emerging markets.

A SKU in the middle wouldn't have a special selling point, and I don't see the point on replacing base PS4 with PS4 Pro as the cheap SKU instead of keep reducing the base PS4 price because the key point on the cheap SKU is having the lowest possible proce instead of its horsepower.

From people who would like to upgrade from PS4 in 2020 to something else will upgrade to PS5, not to PS4 Pro.

I think you are right on a few accounts. I could see a $399 PS5 with BC and a PS4 slim at ~ $175 to really bring in the sales.

Some enhanced BC PS4 Pro emulation on ps5 with an even faster boost mode could work too.

LordOfChaos

Sony would be crazy not to carry this momentum forward with full PS4 BC with the PS5. Make it do everything the PS4 could, plus new PS5 exclusives, and enhancements to old games a la Pro.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I personally believe that PS4 will be the highest selling console of all time surpassing PlayStation 2 by 2022. It's literally on fire, outpacing PlayStation 2, hasn't hit that permanent sweet spot of $200 yet and still has TLOUP2 which is going to be a major console seller. PlayStation 2 had a life span of 12 years give or take depending on the region. If PlayStation 4 is still on the market in 2025 or so, it's easily going to blow that away.

nowhat

PlayStation 2 had a life span of 12 years give or take depending on the region.
...but would it have had such a life span, if Sony hadn't gone full retard and decided that a $599 console is a good idea? That's the question. I hope they don't go full retard this time around.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
...but would it have had such a life span, if Sony hadn't gone full retard and decided that a $599 console is a good idea? That's the question. I hope they don't go full retard this time around.

If they keep it in the same ecosystem on the PlayStation Network which some assume they will, it can.

It will still get a ton of support from the Indie and middleware scene

The PS2 was easy to find at $99 when the PS3 came out and you really don't have much of an argument since the official price of $129 is still going to be much less than the PS4 whent he PS5 comes out.

The PS4 is not dropping to $199 next year. Unless you also think the Pro is dropping $100 next year.

Please provide a bill then. I gave you a link with official source, now you provide me a bill with 99$ during 2006-2007. Or you can provide a price chart from 2006. Thanks!

Last edited:

So, found 99$ PS2 and it was only at Target during 2008 :

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps2-price-drop-soon-target-picture.237437/

So, you should be better than that because i asked you to provide a bill or sale at some retailer during 2006-2007 which says "PS2 for 99$". Thanks.

Last edited:
PS plus is the biggest rip off when it comes to games,at least in my country,most of the new games are over 60 eur,and 1-2 years old games are still sold at a full price,so when they give you deals they could say they reduce the price 70% of that game.But the thing is,that reduced price they offer is the actual value of the game after that much time.The games on the disc are cheaper that the ones PS plus are selling,normally the digital version of a game should be cheaper because they don't pay extra for putting it on a disc.The only thing you need ps plus is for online gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom