• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PS4 is better than PS3, Last gen was the worst!"

ROMhack

I mean I love fun as much as the next guy, but let's compare it to movies, a movie like The Deer Hunter is not something you'd watch for "fun", still doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible achievement, gaming needs that equivalent to art house movies as well.

We'll always have Gone Home, John.

kiiltz

Didn't you just imply in the post before this one that you pretty much stopped gaming this gen?:

I mean yeah, last gen was awesome when you've barely played anything this gen, I guess...
Last gen wasn't too bad =/= last gen was awesome

And the implication was there I suppose but there wasn't any real meaning behind it so you can relax. Just a quiet observation like idk, realizing you haven't added condiments and seasoning to your meals for a while.

kiiltz

No, it wasn't too bad, as I said there were plenty of standout games (I would include Batman: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City, Alan Wake and Fallout New Vegas among them)

It's just if I had to pick a time as lamest in gaming that I've lived through, it would be that.

Although don't get me wrong, I don't hate it that much, it wasn't that it was that bad, it's just that I wouldn't consider that period anything special.

But that's my general point is that basically gaming has remained in a constant state, there's good games and bad games, in any era, it always boils down to good and bad game being released, there's not a single time period, including present day, in which you can say there's literally nothing but bad games being released.

People are letting nostalgia blind them to reality if they think present day is any sort of "dark ages" for gaming, Zelda: Breath of The Wild is as good a game as anything I've ever played.
Yeah we're probably on the same side. Tbh I'm a little confused that there's supposedly disparity between this gen and last (if I'm reading things correctly). If anything last gen looks great bcus of the technological leap between gens whereas this gen was ridiculed for being glorified discount PCs.

In any case, my opinion is irrelevant.

Hum, I don't know. I'd notice eating dry-ass chicken pretty quickly. Though I get your point, last gen did have some great stuff.
I have a good cook.

Last edited:
NeiR is misssing from both lists.

Valkyria Chronicles, Binary Domain, Bayonetta, Dust: An Elysium Tail, Madworld, the Atelier games, Monster Hunter etc made last Gen really good.

CAVE single handedly kept the shmup genre going if you were on consoles. Touhou started getting big at this time too.

I felt that this Gen was all about the Indies because half the library are remasters of previous gen games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Yeah we're probably on the same side. Tbh I'm a little confused that there's supposedly disparity between this gen and last (if I'm reading things correctly). If anything last gen looks great bcus of the technological leap between gens whereas this gen was ridiculed for being glorified discount PCs.

In any case, my opinion is irrelevant.

I have a good cook.

Well, my view of the 7th gen to sum it up is as thus.

It started off with limitless potential and an interesting experimental era for the first couple of years, think games like Dead Rising or Bioshock, but after the massive success of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare it gradually congealed into a less and less interesting gen.

And Japan really struggled, in fact it seemed like for a while there Japanese games were close to being over with.

It concluded in a way with Bioshock Infinite, which on the surface was interesting like the original Bioshock but it was built around gameplay that felt like a Call of Duty wannabe, just overall a disappointment that really personified the clash between art and commerce that was going on in gaming at the time.

Since then I honestly feel things have gone in a more interesting direction, which is not to say this gen is perfect, far from it, but it's not the "dark ages" either.

Obviously I'm generalizing, but you get my point.

VertigoOA

Banned
Uh no. PS3 had quality and quantity. The PS4 has quality but has ultimately been a 3rdPersonStation.

You’re 16 aren’t you?

The bitter teenage years of gaming fandom... where you pretend everything sucks since nothing is as mind blowing as the first time you pressed the “start” button. Nothing will be as good as the generation when you were 10 years old.... this one did tho.o

Once you pass that realization...

Hell I used to think the 16-bit generation was the all time best.... it was garbage elitism.

Last edited:

Ryu_Joestar

PS3

3D Dot game heroes
Resistance FoM
Resistance 2
Ratchet ToD
Ratchet ACIT
Ratchet itn
Infamous 1
Infamous 2
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
TLOU
God of war 3
LBP2
Modnation karting
GT5
Demon's Souls
Katamari Forever
Motorstorm pacific rift
Siren Blood curse
Killzone 2
MGS4

Fix'd with the good games on the PS3 side of the list.

There are other plenty things that makes me say PS4 is overall better, but we already know which of them are, starting with the rebirth of japanese games (which on PS3 gen developers where so desperately tried to imitate the western style)

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
You’re 16 aren’t you?

The bitter teenage years of gaming fandom... where you pretend everything sucks since nothing is as mind blowing as the first time you pressed the “start” button. Nothing will be as good as the generation when you were 10 years old.... this one did tho.o

Once you pass that realization...

Hell I used to think the 16-bit generation was the all time best.... it was garbage elitism.

No, I just comprehend basic math unlike you. The PS4 has been very limted when it comes to genres.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I miss the days when we used to get good Killzone and Uncharted games :messenger_pensive:
I'll give you Killzone (although the whole series only has one good game anyway), but I'd say PS4 leads the pack in terms of good Uncharted releases (not to mention it has the better version of PS3 ones anyway):
In order of best to worst:
U2 / U:TLL
U4
U:GA
U1
U3

Outrunner

I skipped the 360 / PS3 generation and didn't miss it, feel like most of the games on that generation were garbage with exception of a few good ones that I can now play on PS4 / Xbox One.

why.? don't you like every game being a 3rd person action adventure cinematic story experience?.

That trend was already present last gen... Also that's a trend among western developers, just stay away from western games.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
No, I just comprehend basic math unlike you. The PS4 has been very limted when it comes to genres.

There is absolutely nothing the PS3 had that the PS4 doesn’t do better, in bigger numbers, and better variety. The psn catalog alone shows this.

Third parties don’t count ... yea, they do... since their efforts are still superior than sony’s first party. Sony stopped wasting money of discount halo with Killzone and resistsnce. Why compete when the destiny, rainbow six, doom and fortnite’s of the world cater to those genres far far better than those efforts ever tried... i’m glad they did .. it gave us goat tier stuff like Bloodborne and god of war

The most telling detail of all is that this generation sold consoles at a much faster rate than last as well.

This generation is the best generation. It has everything. Hell we even got the first great Zelda game in 20 years. Nostalgia is trash.

An if you’re an online gamer it’s no contest. Of course the modern generation gives you the best of it right now.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you didn't have a PS3, you missed out on Demon's Souls. That's a big omission especially as FROM's subsequent releases have actually added relatively little to the format it established.

sol_bad

This may have been said already but in terms of exclusive first/second/third party support Sony killed it with the PS3 compared to the PS4.
But comparing the 2 generations as a whole, the PS4/XBX generation is far better than the PS3/X360 generation. There is such a massive diversity of games on offer that it is just insane. Let's face it,

Japansese developers were absolutely struggling last generation and western games primarily took over. This generation, Japanese developers are back in full force and can handle HD development.
Last generation was also the rise of the indies, this generation the indies are fully fledged and you could honestly release a console for indies only because there are so many high quality titles.

Yes, this generation was also when loot boxes kicked us in the arse and spat in our face but as an overall, they haven't infected too many games. The main culprits stemming from EA and Activision. On the flipside, digital revenue streams have really helped free to play games. Last generation we dreaded free to play games but this generation they are well made and respected by gamers.

On top of this, we have games that sit between the indies and triple A games that are of still high quality.

They aren't my cup of tea but visual novels are a popular thing in the west now, still niche of course but they are there and being translated and available to the public.

There is too much to love this generation to say it is/was shit.

Zambatoh

I wouldn't say worst per say, but rather very underwhelming. I was very disappointed with just about everything that came out last gen. The only thing that really saved it for me was Demon's Souls.

Oh and Nier.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wouldn't say worst per say, but rather very underwhelming. I was very disappointed with just about everything that came out last gen. The only thing that really saved it for me was Demon's Souls.

Oh and Nier.

Nier, Demon's, and Dragon's Dogma were the highlights of the gen for me because of their creativity. I find it hard to fault ND for games like Uncharted2 and TLOU, TGC for arty experiments like Flower and Journey, the Arkham games were big-budget licenses done right, and hell, even EA managed to score with the Dead Space franchise.

From my perspective there was plenty of good stuff, unfortunately there was a lot of mediocrity too, especially at the AAA end of the spectrum which was way too beholden to trend-chasing.

At the start of the gen there were too many fps/tps titles, most of which have faded into deserved obscurity. The tail end was soured by chasing motion-gaming as "the next big thing" , despite it frequently being unsatisfying and flaky a technology.

Reactions: Isa

Zambatoh

PS3 is still the only platform where you can play the emotionally charged interactive soap opera known as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

That's got to count for something.

Eh...As a fan of the series myself, I felt 4 went way too far into movie territory. It was like 98% movie with some interactive bits here and there. And while the gameplay was decent, most of the tools and weapons they give you are pretty useless. Not to mention some cutscenes would even hijack your weapons load-out and force re-requip the M4 and the pistol. Super annoying. There was very little redeeming value to this game.

Breakage

Eh...As a fan of the series myself, I felt 4 went way too far into movie territory. It was like 98% movie with some interactive bits here and there. And while the gameplay was decent, most of the tools and weapons they give you are pretty useless. Not to mention some cutscenes would even hijack your weapons load-out and force re-requip the M4 and the pistol. Super annoying. There was very little redeeming value to this game.
Yeah, I agree – I was being sarcastic. For me, MGS4 did not feel like a stealth game. There were too many weapons and they were so easy to obtain that I
never really valued the weapons I had. It just felt like a poorly stitched together action game most of the time.

kunonabi

Nothing on that list is worthwhile and the few third party releases that were got PS4 ports anyway. Now, I'm not totally in love with the PS4 library either but I still bought way more games for it than I ever did for the PS3. Of course, much of that has to with it not getting inferior multiplats like the PS3 did and having the lion's share of Japanese support this gen but it is what it is.

Codes 208

Don't even get me started with PS3 online quality. I once had a beta code for Medal of Honor (2011). It took me 3 hours to download the game itself then another 2 hours just to download and install the patch. When I got the 360 version of the beta. It took me 20 minutes in total to download and play. I had decent internet at the time when living with my parents.
I still remember the memes from when mortal kombat came out just before the psn hack.

“The Ps3 may have the exclusive character (kratos) but the 360 has the exclusive online.”
both are equally garbage when compared to the PS2, though.
If you want to compare to near perfection then yeah thats usually how it goes.

But ill argue the ps4 is the closes weve had to that level of perfection since the ps2

Last edited:

Puskas

Driveclub (with all the updates and DLC) alone shits on Sonys' last-gen efforts in the racing game genre.

jakinov

This may have been said already but in terms of exclusive first/second/third party support Sony killed it with the PS3 compared to the PS4.
But comparing the 2 generations as a whole, the PS4/XBX generation is far better than the PS3/X360 generation. There is such a massive diversity of games on offer that it is just insane. Let's face it,

Japansese developers were absolutely struggling last generation and western games primarily took over. This generation, Japanese developers are back in full force and can handle HD development.
Last generation was also the rise of the indies, this generation the indies are fully fledged and you could honestly release a console for indies only because there are so many high quality titles.

Yes, this generation was also when loot boxes kicked us in the arse and spat in our face but as an overall, they haven't infected too many games. The main culprits stemming from EA and Activision. On the flipside, digital revenue streams have really helped free to play games. Last generation we dreaded free to play games but this generation they are well made and respected by gamers.

On top of this, we have games that sit between the indies and triple A games that are of still high quality.

They aren't my cup of tea but visual novels are a popular thing in the west now, still niche of course but they are there and being translated and available to the public.

There is too much to love this generation to say it is/was shit.
They had a higher number of games that reviewed above average and were generally liked by the people who bought it. But most of their games don't have the reach and success of the games this generation.

I think a major problem for Japanese developers was the PS3 was not developer friendly lack of development tools, Cell, split memory, and Blu-Ray seek. The software development industry as a whole has always been notoriously weak and not highly regarded professions by the people living there. Having the standards raise and having to deal with all the problems even western developers struggle with, didn't bode well for them.

Isa

Gold Member
Man so many drive-by shitposting hot takes. Here's mine!

I think they're both good. Not without there fair share of negatives, which I would say for me personally are the online paywalls, heavy MTX and preorder sku's. Indie prices have jumped massively and can often be circumvented by waiting for a sale or PSN/Gold freebie. Also waaaaaay too many remasters of last gen titles this gen. This lack of new ip's and hell even sequels is discouraging.

As for the positives I loved many last-gen titles, there was quite a lot of good first-party variety, for example it was PS3's Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Motorstorm and Uncharted that wowed me with both the visual clarity but also the colors that were so vibrant. I also prefer the B-AA tier studios and games as they felt more... genuine I guess. Most indies are copycats of older classics but most just don't click for me, like I'd rather just go and play the originals that were so great. I'd rather see someone try something new rather than just imitate for better or worse. The indies I do like are more unique though.

I do feel that the Japanese scene as a whole has improved greatly, though many were still doing great work just on handhelds. Still if one knew where to look there are always new quality games releasing and honestly I still don't have the time for many of them. My major gripe with Sony though is the goofy Censorship and the horrible fan in the Pro. I've been gaming on my X for a few months now near exclusively since the Pro gets so damn loud its beyond distracting. I sure hope they figure out a decent cooling setup for the PS5 cause no way am I investing in that again, quality third-person emo shooting galleries be damned.

brap

Banned
I mean I love fun as much as the next guy, but let's compare it to movies, a movie like The Deer Hunter is not something you'd watch for "fun", still doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible achievement, gaming needs that equivalent to art house movies as well.
Gaming has that equivalent. Just look at any dumbass indie game like gone home. Arthouse movies are 99% shit where the directors sniff their own farts. Just like indie devs who think their shitty liHave you ever watched Begotten? I'd like to hear what you think of it.

We'll always have Gone Home, John.
I found out the sister was a lesbian and I clapped.

You’re 16 aren’t you?
That's rich coming from the dude who said Dark Souls 4 was better than anything last gen lmao. Just because you're like 40 doesn't mean your opinion holds any more weight than theirs.

Hell we even got the first great Zelda game in 20 years.
Oh you mean BOTW? Not like there isn't already a million third person survival crafting simulators out there. But I guess this one is better because OMG ZELDA!!

it gave us goat tier stuff like Bloodborne and god of war
Cool. Dark Souls 4 and dumbed down GOW dad simulator.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
It's a head scratcher to me how someone could not prefer today to 2009-2012.

2009-2012 was the absolute bottom of the barrel for gaming, not that there weren't still standout games from then, but I think of crap like Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden 3 and so many other games chasing after the Call of Duty audience.

The last several years have marked a pretty clearly improvement from then if you ask me.

DKCR and Mass Effect 2 both released in those years, so it’s a really good time for me.

CyberPanda

Banned
Gaming has that equivalent. Just look at any dumbass indie game like gone home. Arthouse movies are 99% shit where the directors sniff their own farts. Just like indie devs who think their shitty liHave you ever watched Begotten? I'd like to hear what you think of it.

I found out the sister was a lesbian and I clapped.

That's rich coming from the dude who said Dark Souls 4 was better than anything last gen lmao. Just because you're like 40 doesn't mean your opinion holds any more weight than theirs.

Oh you mean BOTW? Not like there isn't already a million third person survival crafting simulators out there. But I guess this one is better because OMG ZELDA!!

Cool. Dark Souls 4 and dumbed down GOW dad simulator.
Hahhahahahahahaa >_>

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
There is absolutely nothing the PS3 had that the PS4 doesn’t do better, in bigger numbers, and better variety. The psn catalog alone shows this.

Third parties don’t count ... yea, they do... since their efforts are still superior than sony’s first party. Sony stopped wasting money of discount halo with Killzone and resistsnce. Why compete when the destiny, rainbow six, doom and fortnite’s of the world cater to those genres far far better than those efforts ever tried... i’m glad they did .. it gave us goat tier stuff like Bloodborne and god of war

The most telling detail of all is that this generation sold consoles at a much faster rate than last as well.

This generation is the best generation. It has everything. Hell we even got the first great Zelda game in 20 years. Nostalgia is trash.

An if you’re an online gamer it’s no contest. Of course the modern generation gives you the best of it right now.

BotW is good but far from the best Zelda game in 20 years. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all better. I would say Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds are on the same level too.

Also, I must have missed when the PS4 released another trilogy of Mass Effect games and had PS1 virtual console.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberPanda

Banned
BotW is good but far from the best Zelda game in 20 years. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all better. I would say Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds are on the same level too.

Also, I must have missed when the PS4 released another trilogy of Mass Effect games and had PS1 virtual console.
N64 days were the bomb. Gaming is just getting worse and worse as the years pass by.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
N64 days were the bomb. Gaming is just getting worse and worse as the years pass by.

I think Gamecube/PS2 gen and maybe Wii were the high point for me, but PS1/N64 do seem to have some really good games. Better than this gen for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romulus

I feel like ps3 had alot of good exclusives not great, whereas ps4 has more great games. Despite the quantity of ps3 game I came away not as impressed as I am with ps4 overall and I had forgotten about most of those ps3 games.

Also considering with leave out psvr, which I've had more fun with than the entire ps3 generation, surprising despite its young age.

A.Romero

Game output is down in general. It doesn't mean anything. Every gen has it's own gems, advantages and drawbacks. Luckily nobody forces us to stop playing older games so people not linking the newer output can play what they like until the end of times.

Personally, I've enjoyed every single generation so far. Highly doubt this will change soon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
PS3 may be my favorite console of all time.
Gran Turismo was better last gen, Metal Gear Solid was better last gen, you had the Ninja Gaiden trilogy last gen, etc...

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah I don't know about the OP argument, but I have been playing my PS3 a lot more lately. It boots up so fast, and is whisper quiet at all times.

Third Strike Online Edition is way better than the arcade version included with the 30th anniversary collection for PS4.

3March

Banned
Infamous 2 alone is enough to stomp all over the PS4's output this gen. About 90% of first-party PS4 exclusives are supremely overrated, and the only exclusive that was able to rival Infamous 2 in terms of quality was Bloodborne.

Oh, and if you call me a "nostalgia blind elitist" or whatever dumbfuck insult, I'd like to remind you that Titanfall 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Devil May Cry 5 are some of my all-time favourite games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom