• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Eggbok

x5oeU7I.jpg

jeMEwp09d6Aj3.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'll laugh if Square-Enix pulls the same "Please be excited for E3" crap they did. I mean, the timeframe is pretty much the same.

45 second "trailer" of FFXV mostly composed of recycled footage and a token DLC costume announcment.

Yeah, that's my expectations from SE these days.

if you really want it wait for microsoft. they did pretty well early on.

While I expect a Platinum game from MS due to cboats and the other leakers statements I very much doubt we'll see any real JRPG from MS this gen. [funding a 3rd party to make one I mean]

MS did that last gen to try and break into Japan. After the ROI from last gen in Japan being so bad for MS I cannot fathom them chasing after that market again

EGOMON

Are you there? This is for the first 100 right?

I like how there's a boy's section and a girl's section.

No i got them from a friend twitter those pics taken early on the day, according to a japanese friend PS4 is launching at multiple locations and the crowds are getting bigger and bigger as they close to the launch.

No i got them from a friend twitter those pics taken at different time of the day, according to a japanese friend PS4 are launching at multiple locations and the crowds are getting bigger and bigger as they close to the launch.

Oooh I hope it's a blowout. Please please do well little PS4.

The hopes of a generation lie with you!

While I expect a Platinum game from MS due to cboats and the other leakers statements I very much doubt we'll see any real JRPG from MS this gen. [funding a 3rd party to make one I mean]

MS did that last gen to try and break into Japan. After the ROI from last gen in Japan being so bad for MS I cannot fathom them chasing after that market again

BELIEVE

Hyunashi

They took one of the best JRPGs of last gen though :( Never got to play Vesperia in english :(:(

I-hate-u

The renaissance of the Japanese developer rests on the success PS4. Its time to leave mobile and comeback to dominate the action genre that has been completely void for the pas couple of years, Japan.

Famassu

45 second "trailer" of FFXV mostly composed of recycled footage and a token DLC costume announcment.

Yeah, that's my expectations from SE these days.
The first time Square Enix (properly) showed FFXV was in January 2011 with a 6-7 minute trailer. The second time they showed FFXV was at E3 2013 with one 2-3 minute (more) cinematic trailer and one 2-3 minute gameplay trailer. When they show off FFXV the next time (not just a recycled trailer), it will be something big. My guess is they'll show gameplay that shows driving around with vehicles, combat with other playable characters than just Noctis, some overworld/field areas of the game and a little more story exposition, length 3-4 minutes, at least.

AlucardGV

Banned
The renaissance of the Japanese developer rests on the success PS4. Its time to leave mobile and comeback to dominate the action genre that has been completely void for the pas couple of years, Japan.

nah, they're not gonna leave mobile. easy money for minimum effort there

teknix

Neo Member
I'm surprised we haven't seen any stories of Japanese gamers camping out in front of game stores like a week before release. I imagine getting your hands on one without a pre-order will be hard.

Famassu

I really hope the PS4 is a hit over there, if nothing more 'cause i really want more JRPGs this gen.
There's a fair chance that will happen. Wii U is a flop so no third party will make any Deep Downs or Tales ofs for Wii U and unless Microsoft moneyhats JRPGs again (don't think so, given how badly it ended for them on 360), the remaining smaller and some mid-sized JRPGs will go to 3DS & a few to Vita and the rest of the mid-sized and probably all/most of the bigger console level JRPGs will have to go to PS4 as it will probably be the only viable home console around.

The biggest question mark is... how long will it take for JRPG devs to move to PS4 from PS3? Japanese publishers were really late with PS3, hopefully the same won't repeat on PS4 and we'll start getting the Ar Tonelicos, Final Fantasies and Tales of games no more than 1-2 years into PS4's lifespan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There's a fair chance that will happen. Wii U is a flop so no third party will make any Deep Downs or Tales ofs for Wii U and unless Microsoft moneyhats JRPGs again (don't think so, given how badly it ended for them on 360), the remaining smaller and some mid-sized JRPGs will go to 3DS & a few to Vita and the rest of the mid-sized and probably all/most of the bigger console level JRPGs will have to go to PS4 as it will probably be the only viable home console around.

The biggest question mark is... how long will it take for JRPG devs to move to PS4 from PS3? Japanese publishers were really late with PS3, hopefully the same won't repeat on PS4 and we'll start getting the Ar Tonelicos, Final Fantasies and Tales of games no more than 1-2 years into PS4's lifespan.

There are already Japanese developers talking about how Xbox isn't a viable userbase domestically so it will probably be a lot harder for MS to secure anything in that region from now on.

There are already Japanese developers talking about how Xbox isn't a viable userbase domestically so it will probably be a lot harder for MS to secure anything in that region from now on.

I hope so. The lack of PS3 Vesperia over here still stings. I loved Lost Odyssey but I just think MS did more damage than good, I'd rather they stay away from Japanese games.

I hope so. The lack of PS3 Vesperia over here still stings. I loved Lost Odyssey but I just think MS did more damage than good, I'd rather they stay away from Japanese games.

Well, those are different. LO wouldn't have ever been made without MS since they funded it. As far as Tales goes, I still expect Zestiria to go the route of God Eater 2 where they'll release it on the PS3 and PS4.

Top Bottom