• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Media Player 2.0 update

Danlord

It really is just these two additions. After all this time, and this is the latest update.
Pitiful.

Noticed the update this morning, not much added clearly.

I tend to just use plex these days, the system and presentation is so slick and it remembers where i left off with a video. The media player app had a tendency to either not be able to play certain files or would stop working and since 99% of the time it woudlnt allow me the fast forward back to my position it became useless to me.

Hellraider

How is the PS4 streaming(DLNA it's called?) media player compared to PS3's? I have pretty much zero issues compatibility wise on my PS3 but something faster that doesn't lag so easily on heavier content would have been nice.

Which also reminds me, has the PSV gotten any better? I literally couldn't get it to work with anything...

Noticed the update this morning, not much added clearly.

I tend to just use plex these days, the system and presentation is so slick and it remembers where i left off with a video. The media player app had a tendency to either not be able to play certain files or would stop working and since 99% of the time it woudlnt allow me the fast forward back to my position it became useless to me.

Plex is godlike. I'll never use anything else.

Sounds good to me. It's a game console after all.

Ugh...

For years now, a 'games console' encompasses not only game playing, but applications and media playing functions also. We're way past the SNES cartridge 'does one job' days.

It's a nearly three-year-old game console that waited the best part of two years to match the media features of its predecessor. The PS4 should have started with all of the PS3 media features, not slooooowwwwllly patched them in.

How adding two codecs is a '2.0' update I have no idea. I can't ever get it to play anything regardless, the PS3 meanwhile handled everything you threw at it (MKV aside).

Andrefpvs

All my files that didn't play before still don't play. Disappointing update, especially after all this time.

Still no HEVC support?

The £30 little android box I have with cheap chinese CPU can play back 4K HEVC 10bit files but games console cannot...

spons

Gold Member
Still no HEVC support?

The £30 little android box with cheap chinese CPU can play back 4K HEVC 10bit files but games console cannot...

PS4 doesn't include a hardware decoder for HEVC video. Unless they're going to implement a software decoder (they're not going to), HEVC will never be supported.

Kyonashi

Literally all I want/need is for the dashboard icon to apply the same rules as other system icons when using a custom theme. The fact all the TV/Settings/Disc apps are runic-styled on my Journey theme and the Media Player (probably my most used one) is a big ugly blue hurts me in my heart's core :(

spons

Gold Member
Ugh...

For years now, a 'games console' encompasses not only game playing, but applications and media playing functions also. We're way past the SNES cartridge 'does one job' days.

It's a nearly three-year-old game console that waited the best part of two years to match the media features of its predecessor. The PS4 should have started with all of the PS3 media features, not slooooowwwwllly patched them in.

How adding two codecs is a '2.0' update I have no idea. I can't ever get it to play anything regardless, the PS3 meanwhile handled everything you threw at it (MKV aside).

PS4 supports about the same media features as the PS3. It came too early for hardware HEVC support. And that's the entire problem: unless we are going to see almost yearly updates in console hardware, they will never support whatever the latest inexpensive dedicated hardware media player supports.

If Neo/Scorpio are coming, and it sets the precedent of frequent upgrades, only then will a game console as a media device work. On the other hand, both Sony and Microsoft barely support even the most basic of subtitle formats in their media players. Come on.

Why no software decoder?

Neo HAS to support it as HEVC is UltraHD Blu-ray spec.

Poor little CPU can't decode 4K HEVC. They're going to fully support the spec or not at all. If the Neo supports the UHD spec it'll come with a dedicated decoder.

tokkun

How is the PS4 streaming(DLNA it's called?) media player compared to PS3's? I have pretty much zero issues compatibility wise on my PS3 but something faster that doesn't lag so easily on heavier content would have been nice.

It is more responsive than the PS3, but it is missing some extremely basic features. For instance, when listening to an album, it will only play songs in alphabetical order, not in track order.

I gave up on it and just switched to using Chromecast.

MrGlass

I gave up as using the PS4 as a media player like i used my PS3 and i ended up buying a cheap Android Kodi. Pretty awesome for managing my library and having stuff like streaming on it as well.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It really is just these two additions. After all this time, and this is the latest update.
Pitiful.

Do you want more formats or something? There's the official Plex app if you want more bells and whistles. I'm cool with a straightforward DLNA client like this.

Moozo

Literally all I want/need is for the dashboard icon to apply the same rules as other system icons when using a custom theme. The fact all the TV/Settings/Disc apps are runic-styled on my Journey theme and the Media Player (probably my most used one) is a big ugly blue hurts me in my heart's core :(
Came here to ask if this had been fixed

Wait, its only just added .mp4 support?! Seriously, that's pretty much the #1 video format AFAIK.

No wonder I only fired up that media player once or twice then forgot about it completely.

spons

Gold Member
PS4 and XB1 are officially UHD Capable. Firmware update in a linked (April 2015) paper was supposed to be Jan 2016.

MKV is an open source container that will be supported by all UHD platforms.

PS4/XBO cannot decode HEVC. They can output 4K through their HDMI ports, yet cannot playback any material released under the marketing term "UHD" because a) they lack a dedicated, hardware HEVC decoder and b) the CPU is too slow for software decoding or even GPU-assisted decoding.

You are right in theory but not in practice.

a.wd

Plex is godlike. I'll never use anything else.

Fucking Brofist, Plex is the most used app on any device in my house

Also, these things passed just being games consoles when most of the old school gamers got families and old and stuff.

Welcome to the future. You're welcome.

Top Bottom