• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 MLB 14 The Show Graphics Anticipation

Apparently it looks better than the reveal. Here are some choice quotes that are flying under radar. Thursday is the reveal.

PS Nation Monday

"just got Ramone's permission to say a bit about the PS4 version.

In a word, stunning. So clean, so deep, so much detail. He showed it side-by-side with the PS3 version, which helped show truly how much better it's going to be on PS4. Also, dat lighting! I can't wait to talk details!

Video interview is edited and ready to go for Thursday morning btw."

Steve of OS early on Tuesday

You guys are in for a treat on Thursday, 13th. Hoping to get some exclusives for us!

Screenshots had me like... tearsofjoy.gif

Russell of SCEA Tuesday Evening

"Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

How do I say this.............................................. ........................

Our lead graphics programmer just cracked the code on our PS4 lighting engine about an hour ago. When I show you again it's going to look better. I might even do a comparison of the two.

Can't wait to show you guys this man now I have to re-take all the screen shots I took already for Thursday."

Now we wait, I'm sure these guys have seen NBA 2K14 and they came away impressed.

Torgo

Yeah, it's beautiful. Ramone actually put the PS3 and PS4 versions side-by-side, so the impact was that much greater ;-)

Torgo

Good stuff, without stepping on toes or breaking the embargo. 2K14 or The Show?

I'd say that you don't have anything to worry about. Don't expect video from the PS4 version yet though. We're working really close with the team to get the word out though.

I have a video going live tomorrow at 9 a.m. Central Time talking to Ramone about new features and release date.

Game looked amazing for PS3, cant imagine how it'll look now. Those devs really go all out for "only" making an MLB game. It's good to see a lot of passion.

I'd say that you don't have anything to worry about. Don't expect video from the PS4 version yet though. We're working really close with the team to get the word out though.

I have a video going live tomorrow at 9 a.m. Central Time talking to Ramone about new features and release date.

No video, leads me to believe different release dates for PS3 and PS4. Thanks for chiming in.

foxbeldin

roller-coaster.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, that's great and all but I'm concerned about the IAP creep. The why the game is being advertised in GameStop has me very worried. The only feature that is touted is $19.99 worth of in game currency to use in Road to the Show, Dynasty Mode and other modes when you preorder.

I hope everyone who looked at this game got a look to see if IAP creep has invested this game more than it did in the past. Or if all they saw was the graphics and that's it. I hope it doesn't fuck up the game like it did NBA 2K14.

Yeah, that's great and all but I'm concerned about the IAP creep. The why the game is being advertised in GameStop has me very worried. The only feature that is touted is $19.99 worth of in game currency to use in Road to the Show, Dynasty Mode and other modes when you preorder.

I hope everyone who looked at this game got a look to see if IAP creep has invested this game more than it did in the past. Or if all they saw was the graphics and that's it. I hope it doesn't fuck up the game like it did NBA 2K14.

You do know that they've had that in The Show for years now, right?

Sounds great. This is one franchise that you just know will deliver with graphics and gameplay. I bought a PS3 for MLB The Show '08... Probably will do the same for '15.

But... I really feel bad for all of the new PS4 owners who are going to buy this game and absolutely hate it because they'll bat .060 in Double A Portland. Here's a warning: MLB The Show is hard and there is no shame playing on the easy difficulty. You will suffer. And it will be glorious.

Good stuff, without stepping on toes or breaking the embargo. 2K14 or The Show?

Not sure if this is your Q, but there isn't an MLB 2K anymore, 2K shuttered the game last year

EL CUCO

Our lead graphics programmer just cracked the code on our PS4 lighting engine about an hour ago. When I show you again it's going to look better. I might even do a comparison of the two.

ukNc4NT.jpg

Torgo

y'all need to chill, seriously. There's a LOT to be excited for, trust me. I had some quality time with the PS3 and PS4 versions on Monday.

Kintaro

You do know that they've had that in The Show for years now, right?

Yes I do. I don't think it's ever been a pre-order offer from Sony though. After NBA 2K14 on PS4? I worry about every sport franchise going forward. You should be too.

bigmf

Thursday? Fffff.... I thought it was today. I'm getting antsy over here. Also we need our own Canadian cover for it. With Edwin Encarnacion this time.

"Dat lighting", "so much details", "so many pixels"Etc. Meh. It's on powerful hardware, it should look good. Now tell me what the differences in gameplay are. How different is the ps4 version from the ps3 version? Is it just another mlb: the show? What's the Difference between this new one and the last one?

Drek

Yes I do. I don't think it's ever been a pre-order offer from Sony though. After NBA 2K14 on PS4? I worry about every sport franchise going forward. You should be too.

They had similar in-game cash for pre-order last year as well I believe. To date The Show has never been heavy handed with the in-game transactions or even made it particularly obvious, unlike 2k14 and Madden where the transaction links are nested in the middle of the navigation menus.

It was a pre-order offer last year. The only difference now is that the "currency" can be used in all modes instead of it being mode-specific.

NBA 2k14 and MLB 14 The Show are different publishers and different developers. As far as I've seen, Sony has yet to butcher a game with IAPs, so I wouldn't expect them to botch a game where they're already doing IAPs the "right" way (in that they're non-intrusive).

Kintaro

It was a pre-order offer last year. The only difference now is that the "currency" can be used in all modes instead of it being mode-specific.

NBA 2k14 and MLB 14 The Show are different publishers and different developers. As far as I've seen, Sony has yet to butcher a game with IAPs, so I wouldn't expect them to botch a game where they're already doing IAPs the "right" way (in that they're non-intrusive).

I understand all of this. However until 2K14? NBA was the same way. Then it was flipped on its head. I don't want to see this with The Show. So, until I get proof of otherwise? I'll be wary. I'd hope the people looking at this game early are looking out for us as well.

Mrbob

They gave away Show points for pre orders last year too. As long as the system hasn't been revised in game we should be fine. Otherwise they'll catch heck just like 2K did for their NBA2K garbage. People are aware of the freemium scamming in 60 dollar packages more than ever now thanks to them.

turnbuckle

This is what concerns me deeply. People saying that IAP have been in the series for years are missing the point. Switching to a universal currency where some of the modes in the past required you to be online to play to ensure you didn't cheat to build currency for competitive play (Diamond Dynasty) is going to be very problematic.

There really aren't many ways of instituting a universal currency without this being a problem.

Quoting myself from another thread:

I think something very similar to 2K is going to happen to MLB The Show 2014.

MLB The Show 2014 Universal Currency (and other shit...sorry, love you Cabrera)

I'm not sure if you guys have played the Diamond Dynasty mode that's new in the 2012 or 2013 versions of the game yet or not. It's basically a very similar structure to what's being shown here. There are probably similar modes in other sports games, the difference here being a focus on the "universal currency" aspect of it:

- Online Required to play

- Stadiums available in other modes locked behind currency purchase in this one

- Player Packs cost currency and are randomized.

- Currency earned through playing CPU or human. Can be purchased with real money.

- Most expensive packs are worth roughly $10. Lesser packs available.

- Winning a game grants you a certain amount of currency. On hardest difficulty (really, really hard) you can earn roughly $2 worth of currency.

- Losing nets you about $.50 worth. Values change depending on team and difficulty setting.

- Values are different when playing against human. Never as much as winning against CPU on hardest difficulty; losing often grants less than losing to CPU.

- Earn more money against a human the higher your fan rating is. This is based upon player performance, and is cumulative. So a player who has played 40 games will earn more money for your team than a player with fewer games experience.

- Maximum life on cards is 40 games. All MLB cards have a maximum life of 10 games. Once that card expires you have to buy a new card to replace them. You earn less money for that player as he will start with a fan rating of 0.

and on and on, kinda basic stuff really I guess. Just a big hamster wheel, one that's pretty fun but one that's also seeing the devs constantly tweaking things to make payouts less generous. A few things they've done this year (most in past few months):

- Lowered payouts for winning games
- Increased cost of training players
- Increased penalty for over-training players
- Reduced training limit for players, making it easier to overtrain (more expensive)
- Lowering chance of getting high rated players from packs/card recycling

----

So yeah, this is a mode I've loved but they've really started stacking the deck against players. It's a completely optional mode, but then again so is every mode in a game. Saying something is optional isn't an excuse for taking advantage of fans of a series/mode.

What I'm worried about more than them tweaking things one way or the other to increase the grind is the possibility that more modes are going to require an internet connection. Before MLB 2014, the currency in Diamond Dynasty was its own thing and had no effect on anything else.

Same for franchise budget (which the game has had microtransactions for for years)
Same for RttS (which the game has had Microtransactions for for years)

But up to this point you could play franchise and RttS offline. You could set options to be more favorable for you. You could have multiple save files and re-use money in different ways to see; you could reload a file if you wanted to be cheesy and go for that 162-0 season. These things would result in you earning more currency for that mode and you'd become a baseball god after a few seasons. But still - a few seasons is a long time, god or not.

Now with a universal currency I don't know how they would plan to control for these kinds of things without having an online requirement. If you can cheese against the computer and use that money in one of the other modes like Diamond Dynasty, it creates an unfair scenario where you have an inflated budget. That would kill that mode.

But what this opens the door to is a very similar scenario we're seeing here with 2K14. Maybe not as bad, maybe just as bad, maybe worse - who knows? Only thing I know is that there's a good reason to believe MLB 2014 will be more restrictive and have more MT hooks than in previous years.

I hope I'm wrong. I've bought the game every year since 2008. I've pre-ordered it every year since then. Hell, I've bought MLB The Show Controllers and the shitty MLB The Show 2012 for the Vita.

But I know that I won't be pre-ordering the game now unless there's an explicit statement regarding these issues from the developers that doesn't sound like a bunch of BS. And that sucks, because by not pre-ordering, I lose out on "$20 worth of Universal Currency".

Fuck.

I'm not a hater of the series at all. I've bought every game in the series since 2008, have a Show PS3 controller, have the 2012 Vita version, participate in GAF leagues every year, and probably put over 500 hours into the game (probably over 1,000) every year. I'm not ignorant on how IAP have been presented in the series in the past. But what was in the past optional and not obtrusive has the perfect opportunity for being anti-consumer as fuck in the future.

I mean, this is the same company that actually had the nerve to charge a buck just to show some advanced stats for players a couple of years ago. A game that will injure players and then offer to heal them if you spend money to do so. A game that will lock stadiums in different modes and require you to spend either money or a lot of time to gain access to them. Want to play in Comerica Park in a regular game? Ok, no problem.

But, in 2013's Diamond Dynasty, if you wanted to be able to play in all the MLB parks you either had to grind to earn money to buy them (and every game you played you lost service time for your players) or you could spend money on them. I believe the amount of in game currency to unlock every stadium was close to $200 million (or nearly $30 at the "most economical" currency package). Since it's a competitive mode it makes the most sense to use as much currency as possible towards your team; but they've made so many tweaks to the card and player development system that it gets very expensive to make a team that competes with players who are willing to spend.

So yeah, I'm nervous. Without any real competition for the Show and with the base quality of the game being so high, I see little reason to be optimistic. Just hoping for the best.

They're still fine tuning the lighting engine? No video, just pictures? I'm worried that The Show for PS4 might be a bit further out than I hoped.

Still hoping for an early April release though.

Raw64life

Haven't bought a Show game since '09 mostly due to there just being a whole lot of other games I want coming out around the same time every year. And again this year, March is packed.

But this universal currency shit sounds awful. Combine that with this being the first go-around on PS4 and I'll probably again be saying "maybe next year" with this one.

Hasney

Actually wanted MLB for a change, but this currency thing has made me nervous as well. Not played the others, but after NBA 2k14, I can't trust anything until I at least see impressions months down the line now.

Can't believe that I would recommend an EA model, but FIFA does it well. The microtransactions are only in one mode and if you don't feel like grinding out the coins, there's a load of other content to keep you satisfied (or get very lucky and unpack an expensive player like I did and you're set for life.)

Orca

"Dat lighting", "so much details", "so many pixels"Etc. Meh. It's on powerful hardware, it should look good. Now tell me what the differences in gameplay are. How different is the ps4 version from the ps3 version? Is it just another mlb: the show? What's the Difference between this new one and the last one?

That's what I want to know. We know it's going to look good, but did they fix any of the issues?

turnbuckle

Actually wanted MLB for a change, but this currency thing has made me nervous as well. Not played the others, but after NBA 2k14, I can't trust anything until I at least see impressions months down the line now.

Can't believe that I would recommend an EA model, but FIFA does it well. The microtransactions are only in one mode and if you don't feel like grinding out the coins, there's a load of other content to keep you satisfied (or get very lucky and unpack an expensive player like I did and you're set for life.)

Yeah, that's how the Show used to work.

If you didn't want to spend money on currency in Diamond Dynasty you didn't have to. It's a mode that's only a few years old and many passed it over for any number of reasons.

But to have the currency from that mode be the same currency as the other modes now, well, that opens up a huge can of worms. They either butcher Diamond Dynasty (but that makes them a ton of money - i know people who have spent hundreds of dollars just in that) or they put the same kind of checks and balances that are set with the Diamond Dynasty currency onto the other modes. Which would really screw the other modes.

People were so happy to have a universal currency, but I think it's best having them all separate. Sure, it sucks having X amount of dollars in one mode that you'd wish you could spend on another, but that's a small trade-off compared to the alternative.

I'm hyped for this game. This is one of my own personal system sellers.

#1. Destiny
#2. inFamous
#3. MLB the Show
#4. Anything Naughty Dog makes
#5. Order 1886
#6. Killzone: SF

e̶m̶b̶a̶r̶g̶o̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶3̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶?̶

can't wait for Tomorrow

This is what concerns me deeply. People saying that IAP have been in the series for years are missing the point. Switching to a universal currency where some of the modes in the past required you to be online to play to ensure you didn't cheat to build currency for competitive play (Diamond Dynasty) is going to be very problematic.

There really aren't many ways of instituting a universal currency without this being a problem.

Quoting myself from another thread:

I'm not a hater of the series at all. I've bought every game in the series since 2008, have a Show PS3 controller, have the 2012 Vita version, participate in GAF leagues every year, and probably put over 500 hours into the game (probably over 1,000) every year. I'm not ignorant on how IAP have been presented in the series in the past. But what was in the past optional and not obtrusive has the perfect opportunity for being anti-consumer as fuck in the future.

I mean, this is the same company that actually had the nerve to charge a buck just to show some advanced stats for players a couple of years ago. A game that will injure players and then offer to heal them if you spend money to do so. A game that will lock stadiums in different modes and require you to spend either money or a lot of time to gain access to them. Want to play in Comerica Park in a regular game? Ok, no problem.

But, in 2013's Diamond Dynasty, if you wanted to be able to play in all the MLB parks you either had to grind to earn money to buy them (and every game you played you lost service time for your players) or you could spend money on them. I believe the amount of in game currency to unlock every stadium was close to $200 million (or nearly $30 at the "most economical" currency package). Since it's a competitive mode it makes the most sense to use as much currency as possible towards your team; but they've made so many tweaks to the card and player development system that it gets very expensive to make a team that competes with players who are willing to spend.

So yeah, I'm nervous. Without any real competition for the Show and with the base quality of the game being so high, I see little reason to be optimistic. Just hoping for the best.

This is a dead issue, the dev already said the currency in the show is nothing like nba 2k. Universal currency can be used in all modes instead of previous version you had to buy it for specific modes, hence now it being called universal.

newsguy

Apparently it looks better than the reveal. Here are some choice quotes that are flying under radar. Thursday is the reveal.

PS Nation Monday

"just got Ramone's permission to say a bit about the PS4 version.

In a word, stunning. So clean, so deep, much detail. He showed it side-by-side with the PS3 version, which helped show truly how much better it's going to be on PS4.

Doge?

DoctorZ

They're still fine tuning the lighting engine? No video, just pictures? I'm worried that The Show for PS4 might be a bit further out than I hoped.

Still hoping for an early April release though.

Yep, people are freaking out on OS about what Ramone posted without actually realizing what that meant. If they are "cracking the code" on the lighting engine at this stage in development they know they have more time to work on the game. I'm sure they are crunching right now, but what seems to be a significant change to the lighting system in the game doesn't seem insignificant.

turnbuckle

This is a dead issue, the dev already said the currency in the show is nothing like nba 2k. Universal currency can be used in all modes instead of previous version you had to buy it for specific modes, hence now it being called universal.

That doesn't make it a dead issue. What you just said is circular to my concern. I'm concerned about the implications of it being a universal currency; you're telling me not to worry, because the currency is universal.

Top Bottom