• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo Arrives end of September - Guru3d Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

This was taken from Guru3d at the following link. Lock if old...
**NOTE**Thread title is what Guru3d has as it's title, even though below it says November
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/playstation-4-neo-arrives-end-september.html

The console formerly know as PS4K or PS4 Neo will arrive roughly at the end of November, times just right for the Christmas season. French wholesaler Innelec Multimedia shared this info and mentioned the release date.

Seeing as Innelec is a major French video games distributor and wholesaler, this could be factual. The date lines up with the Tokyo Game Show in September as well.

The upcoming upgraded PlayStation 4 is tagged under Codename NEO and is based upon an upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM. The custom SoC chip that empowers it all will get 8 CPU cores, running at 2.10 GHz; and an embedded GPU (IGP) featuring 36 compute units based on "Next-generation Graphics CoreNext" architecture from AMD.

That last bit is interesting as next-gen obviously suggests a new architecture and thus that in fact could be Polaris. A Neo SoC would be far cheaper and easier to make the custom SoC with a 28nm fab though. But granted the 36 next-gen GCN compute units (x 64 stream processors per cluster) sound very familiar and close to Polaris10 "Ellesmere" chip with a stream processor count of 2304, double over the 1152 from the current PlayStation 4.

Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Neo at 4K would be a Ultra HD supported mode, yet most if not all rendered content would be upscaled.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The console formerly know as PS4K or PS4 Neo will arrive roughly at the end of November, times just right for the Christmas season.

So which is it?

I am one of the few who are for this simply because i dont want to build a new PC for more than triple the cost. Let's hope it comes sooner than later.

I really wonder if part of this has to do with the PSVR release. I wonder how much different the experience will be using the headset with the two systems.

So I have to decide between PS4Neo or PSVR. Right now PSVR doesn't seem worth it but I still have my pre-order.

If PS4Neo is shown on E3 to be amazing and X1 did not show anything worth keeping I will trade my X1 in to put money towards my eventually PS4Neo upgrade

FelipeMGM

Wow, what a mess huh OP

Wrong month and the news is old and was debunked by Innelec themselves

But NEO is coming, and sure, could be november

impact

Banned
Hopefully we know the NX launch games by then so I can make the choice between the two.

edit: fake? sounded too early

So I have to decide between PS4Neo or PSVR. Right now PSVR doesn't seem worth it but I still have my pre-order.

If PS4Neo is shown on E3 to be amazing and X1 did not show anything worth keeping I will trade my X1 in to put money towards my eventually PS4Neo upgrade
I mean if you choose the latter you basically need the former anyway.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
i was HOPING for soon than November. I have held off getting a ps4 for this long guess a little longer wouldn't hurt.

Nice, but it seems hard to believe that they would launch 2 new pieces of hardware at the same time with vr and the neo. Can't wait to see how Neo performs though. I'm hoping for game performance that can match what can be done with a 980 or 980 ti now.

I could have wrote a blog that said the same thing by taking information from multiple sources. This doesn't say anything we didn't already know.

Hawk269

Wow, what a mess huh OP

Wrong month and the news is old and was debunked by Innelec themselves

But NEO is coming, and sure, could be november

The article popped up on Guru3d today, just copied and pasted. Looked at the first 8-10 page here and did not see it mentioned.

MOD should lock if it is irrelevant.

Honestly , I'm pretty disgusted with sony over this . I could swallow them making an "upgradeable" unit to give the unit extended logjevity but it seems that they want to push a new PS4 every 2-3 years. Looks like this is my last console.

Trojan

Burden of proof for making this a compelling upgrade is on Sony. Judging from leaks, I think they've done a good job ensuring that there will be minimal fracturing of their user base, but I still don't feel like it's going to be worth many people upgrading if they already have a PS4.

Boke1879

November would be a perfect release and I could easily see it being bundled with the new COD game while the OG model gets a nice discount.

daveo42

Banned
Based on the wording, Sony will announce the Neo officially in September (NEO Arrives...), with the console actually releasing in November. Sounds like a poor move on Sony's part if they are waiting that long to actually announce the damn thing as it's basically been leaked in full elsewhere.

November would be great for me personally since it allows a little more time to save (I'll be getting PSVR at launch as well), and talk to my sister about buying my launch PS4 off me (for a pittance) and present it to my nephew as a xmas present.

Boke1879

Based on the wording, Sony will announce the Neo officially in September (NEO Arrives...), with the console actually releasing in November. Sounds like a poor move on Sony's part if they are waiting that long to actually announce the damn thing as it's basically been leaked in full elsewhere.

Nah it's actually perfect. So far all we have is speculation. The generally public still doesn't know or at least care about this right now. Sony will wait as close to launch to reveal this thing as to not kill sales of the OG model.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
In light of the lack of clarity between title and article and the fact that the actual month it launches is totally irrelevant before it gets announced we'll just lock and wait for further information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom