• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 platinum headset vs New Gold headset?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
-I'm not looking for recommendations for anything else-
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about either of these headsets? Walmart has them both and the platinums at a $20 premium. I find the old golds to be awesome comfort wise and am not looking to sacrifice comfort.

ItsTheNew

I had the 1st iteration of the Gold, they weren't bad but weren't great. You can do better for the price.
Okay well you didn't read the first post at all so thank you.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Sony Platinum Headset or the NEW NON HINGED VERSION OF THE GOLDS?

When did the new iteration of the golds come out? I got a pair a little over a year ago, actually wearing them right now while I type this. I love them.

iHaunter

Corsair RGB Void is in the same price-range but better.

A bit annoying that you can't control the volume though.

SilentDisco

Neo Member
sorry for wall of text incoming, this turned out longer than anticipated.

*quasi-short version:
Get the platinums if you liked the original "gold" headset.
To me, the platinums are a complete upgrade compared to the original "gold" wireless headset, imo;
-platinums sound better
-platinums have better build quality
Comfort is subjective but i find them fine (with a "normal" sized head) and inline with sony past iterations (gold and pulse).
If you found the "golds" comfortable, I did, I'd think you'd find the platinums the same. Obviously, YMMV.
I also use them plugged into my xbox controller while using my xbox one x, sound great!

*long version:
Love the platinum headset, no experience with new gold headset though but did have the original gold and pulse elites headsets previously.
I liked the pulse elites but broke/cracked where that big silver circle-thingy is located on each side of headset.
Replaced pulse elites with original gold headset; liked those but mine eventually broke at the hinges.
Replaced gold headset with platinum, really like them and currently have no complaints.
I mainly play single player games with an occasional Destiny 2 mixed in so they've been great with my usage.
Comfort wise I find them similar to gold from my experience...
a little bit heavier but like the gold's I've used them for what i consider extended gaming sessions (i.e. 2+ hours with longest being somewhere in 4-5 hour range)
i don't wear glasses and believe I have a standard head in that I don't have issues associated with head being too large/small.
I also use them frequently with xbox one x and the dolby atmos for headphones feature (plug platinum directly into xbox controller)
Frequently used to switch between a pair of Sennheiser 360 headphones and the platinums on the xbox console but ultimately decided the sound quality, to my ears, was better with the sony platinum headset.

*all of sony's first party games sound excellent on the platinum headset.
games that utilize the 3d sound are pretty neat too while vss (virtual simulated surround) is kinda hit or miss on 3rd party titles.

ItsTheNew

sorry for wall of text incoming, this turned out longer than anticipated.

*quasi-short version:
Get the platinums if you liked the original "gold" headset.
To me, the platinums are a complete upgrade compared to the original "gold" wireless headset, imo;
-platinums sound better
-platinums have better build quality
Comfort is subjective but i find them fine (with a "normal" sized head) and inline with sony past iterations (gold and pulse).
If you found the "golds" comfortable, I did, I'd think you'd find the platinums the same. Obviously, YMMV.
I also use them plugged into my xbox controller while using my xbox one x, sound great!

*long version:
Love the platinum headset, no experience with new gold headset though but did have the original gold and pulse elites headsets previously.
I liked the pulse elites but broke/cracked where that big silver circle-thingy is located on each side of headset.
Replaced pulse elites with original gold headset; liked those but mine eventually broke at the hinges.
Replaced gold headset with platinum, really like them and currently have no complaints.
I mainly play single player games with an occasional Destiny 2 mixed in so they've been great with my usage.
Comfort wise I find them similar to gold from my experience...
a little bit heavier but like the gold's I've used them for what i consider extended gaming sessions (i.e. 2+ hours with longest being somewhere in 4-5 hour range)
i don't wear glasses and believe I have a standard head in that I don't have issues associated with head being too large/small.
I also use them frequently with xbox one x and the dolby atmos for headphones feature (plug platinum directly into xbox controller)
Frequently used to switch between a pair of Sennheiser 360 headphones and the platinums on the xbox console but ultimately decided the sound quality, to my ears, was better with the sony platinum headset.

*all of sony's first party games sound excellent on the platinum headset.
games that utilize the 3d sound are pretty neat too while vss (virtual simulated surround) is kinda hit or miss on 3rd party titles.
Thanks for the reply, I might grab a pair

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Golds, easily. I loved them and used them for years until they got chewed up by my dog. This was around the time the plats came out and I figured they would be similar but better. I was wrong. The platinums are trash. Sound quality is about the same but they're uncomfortable as hell and the left speaker on my pair gave out after like 5 months.

I just replaced them with Arctis 7s and so far I like them better than both Sony offerings but if I had to choose between those 2 I would go with the Golds in a heartbeat.

For the $20 difference, I'd get the platinums. I had two pairs of the old Gold and my only complaint was my big nogging making them stretch a bit (my first pair finally started cracking recently, after 3 years of use). The platinums don't have this problem. OTOH, the new gold has the earcups from the platinum, so it would be an upgrade for that to the new gold if the cost difference really matters. You also have more sound profiles for specific games on the Gold than on the platinum, since the game-specific profiles for platinums are for 3D audio.

jackuiowa

Are the new gold’s still ps3 compatible? I believe the new platinums are PS4 only. Yes I still use my bad hinge golds on my ps3, pc and switch

SilentDisco

Neo Member
Thanks for the reply, I might grab a pair

no problem, i’ve had the platinums a few weeks after they initially launched (i’m in the usa) and use them pretty much daily between my ps4 pro or x1x. in other words, i’ve used them extensively since launch and thus far have zero complaints.

let me know if there’s anything else relating to my experience with them that could/would help.

jackuiowa

no problem, i’ve had the platinums a few weeks after they initially launched (i’m in the usa) and use them pretty much daily between my ps4 pro or x1x. in other words, i’ve used them extensively since launch and thus far have zero complaints.

let me know if there’s anything else relating to my experience with them that could/would help.
Silent disco,

Is the compatibility with other devices still the same? PS3, PC, Switch etc.

Thanks

SilentDisco

Neo Member
Silent disco,

Is the compatibility with other devices still the same? PS3, PC, Switch etc.

Thanks

I believe so but I only use them on my ps4 pro (wirelessly) and x1x (via supplied 3.5mm audio cable) so I can’t speak directly to the compatibility with ps3, pc or switch... i no longer own a ps3 nor gaming pc and never owned a switch.

sorry i can’t be more helpful.

they still do work like standard passive headsphones with the 3.5mm cable plugged in so they should work with anything with a headphone jack.

I've been through two different pairs of Golds and I won't go back to them. They're structurally weak; both pairs snapped at the ear cup, and I take very good care of my equipment. If the set wasn't on my head, it was on a stand on a clean, stable surface. Shame because the sound quality was pretty good and I could use em for both PS4 and PC.

No idea how the Plats are built, though.

bronk

Banned
Mine
I've been through two different pairs of Golds and I won't go back to them. They're structurally weak; both pairs snapped at the ear cup, and I take very good care of my equipment. If the set wasn't on my head, it was on a stand on a clean, stable surface. Shame because the sound quality was pretty good and I could use em for both PS4 and PC.

No idea how the Plats are built, though.
Mine never snapped but I was scared they would eventually since I heard about so many peoples breaking. Ended up selling them. I may get these new ones after waiting on user reviews. Say a couple months and see if any problems arise like last pair.

Brandwin

Golds, easily. I loved them and used them for years until they got chewed up by my dog. This was around the time the plats came out and I figured they would be similar but better. I was wrong. The platinums are trash. Sound quality is about the same but they're uncomfortable as hell and the left speaker on my pair gave out after like 5 months.

I just replaced them with Arctis 7s and so far I like them better than both Sony offerings but if I had to choose between those 2 I would go with the Golds in a heartbeat.
You like the Artic 7's better? I got a pair last night and sound wasn't very loud nor my mic. Plus I guess I am used to the VSS on the original Sony Gold's (yep mine still working 4 years later) but I was looking for an upgrade. Any tips for better sound?

Top Bottom