• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 price was just announced in Argentina!

DryvBy

"SE ANUNCIA EL PRECIO DE PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) Y SU PRE-VENTA EN LA ARGENTINA

Qué: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) anuncia el comienzo de la preventa del sistema de entretenimiento PlayStation®4 (PS4™) en la Argentina. El precio de la PS4™en el país será de $6.499.- (pesos argentinos)."

So... yeah. 6500 pesos. That's roughly 1200 US Dollars.

Or, to put it in another way, that's about 25% over my current monthly salary.

I guess that's it for me as a gamer.

Would buying one in the States and then shipping it be the same price?

balohna

1200 per week is 57600$ per year no? This isn't rich or anything, but I wouldn't say it's not very much money. The average canadian income is 47,200$.

1200 a month was 25% over his monthly salary. Which means about 960 a month.

I actually make more than that by a fair bit I just realized. Whoops. About double. To be perfectly clear, I work full time at $13/hr with occasional OT. I make around 30k usually.

Still, 1200 would be a huge amount of money for me to spend on ANYTHING so I can imagine it's even worse for the average argentinian.

That is an impossible price at 25% over your wages.

Can anybody who understands economics explain why it is a good idea to set such a ridiculous import tax for a country who is experiencing inflation problems?

I would LOVE to know this as well.
I guess it's just because they know people will pay it.

I mean, if you are buying a $800 game console, than you have money to spare.
They don't really care if the game industry develops here because it is mostly from imported stuff. So there's no jobs beeing created, or people beeing empolyed by it. There's no money staying in the country either.

So the only way they can get some money here is through taxes.
Import taxes. Sales taxes. Transit taxes.
You have no idea how complicated the tax system is here in brazil. There's way too many taxes for most people to understand.

it's the lets-fuckup-thirdworld-countries tax

Not really.

I'm from Peru and I'm afraid the PS4 won't go lower than $700. Our exchange rate is 2.8.
That's why I'm just waiting for a relative to return from the States so he can bring me a 2DS or a cheap 3DS/Vita and I'll just stick to digital gaming.

That and some Steam madness on my old PC. It sucks to be a Latin american gamer!

678$

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DAY ONE MOTHER EFFERS!!!

SONY 4 LYFE!
* Runs naked *
* Trips with coffee table *
* Falls down the stairs *

Manu

You know what the saddest thing is? For that money you can get a decent gaming PC, since they are manufactured here.

There's literally no reason to buy a console right now.

The Hermit

Surprise, surprise.

Actually if you go by the unnoficial exchange its more like 700 U$, so not so bad.
I expect an even more expensive Price here in Brasil.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Alright, I've always wanted to go to Argentina, time to run a technotarian mission! Just need enough interested Argentinians.

Or just mail them, would the government seize the package though?

Amir0x

Banned
why is the mark up so high?

I was looking up out of curiosity, and I found this article that seems fairly well sourced and easy to understand. It's about Brazil, not Argentina, but reading the article I have to imagine many of the culprits for the higher price are the same:

From Brazil Cost to Brazil Profit: Why are electronics so expensive in Brazil?

The iPhone 5 still has to launch in Brazil, but one thing is for sure: when it hits the shelves, it will be much more expensive than in other markets. If you need a proof of it, just look at the new Apple TV, which costs R$399 in Brazil - roughly $197 USD, or twice its selling price in the US.

This isn’t only about Apple products; we have already touched the subject several times, many articles are much more expensive in Brazil, especially electronics. Let’s now try to understand why.

Read the article for the full explanation; it's very enlightening.

Specifically with Brazil Cost, these are the factors listed:

● High levels of public deficits;
● The economy divided into cartels
● Inefficiency of public services
● Maintenance of high real interest rates
● Exaggerated net interest spread of financial institutions (among the highest in the world)
● Excessive bureaucracy for importing and exporting, creating difficulties for foreign trade
● Low education levels and lack of qualified labour
● Excessive layers of bureaucracy (red tape)
● High levels of corruption within the public sector
● High tax burden
● Expensive labour costs
● High social security costs
● Complex and inefficient fiscal legislation
● Economic instability
● High electricity cost
● Legal uncertainty
● High interest rates
● High crime rate, which adds extra security costs
● Underdeveloped infrastructure, including a deteriorated network for domestic shipping by rail, highway and coastal navigation*.
● In 2007 transport costs consumed 13% of GDP, 5% more than in the United States. The high transport costs are exacerbated by the scattering of industry over Brazil's territory.

Some, but not all, of these definitely apply to Argentina too.

It has to be lower than the Xbone price though... since both will be produced overseas, I don't think that the PS4 will break through the R$ 2000 barrier.

Well, actually I hope not.

Nope, Xbox One will be produced in Manaus. Not overseas. Production is about to start as far as I know.

Sony Brazil is playing a wait-and-see game because the current spike in the dollar exchange rate. The rate is floating a lot (there is a fall in the last days).

Microsoft Brazil is really in a difficult situation, having announced the price before the dollar crysis. They surely hope that the exchange rate goes back to the previous value.

Who cares at these prices?!

Yikes

I wouldn't be buying either console at those costs. That sucks.

Someone ship this guy a console.

People care because they expect the PS4 to cost less than the Xbone.

I agree that you should not buy a console at that price. But if the guy can't import, what is he supposed to do?

A great gaming PC costs around $2000 ~ $2500. So that's not a option either.

dcx4610

For reference, you can buy a PS4, Xbox One, Vita and two games for the price of just the PS4 in your country.

I cry for you Argentina.

Kammie

That's pretty cheap for an official price. I remember when I came back to the country in 2007, the PS3 cost 6000 pesos or so, and the dollar was at like 3.16 instead of 5.60 or wherever it is now.

Still... yeah. As an Argentinean videogame player, this is why I'm not interested in anything but Steam.

I imagine a lot of that is due to Argentina's government doing silly things with the economy. From what I've read inflation is really bad there and their government won't even release the true inflation numbers.

Ricker

Why is it so expensive?

I was just going to ask this...what's the perspective on that...like if someone makes 20 bucks an hour in North America,it's like 40 bucks an hour over there or something lol ;) ?

That price is crazy....

EDIT: Saw some of the reasons...damn that sucks.

Do computers cost as much also in South America or is it just videogame systems? If that is the case then I would rather game on a PC or go abroad and buy a console one rare opportunity.

To the ones saying that to import is an option, not really. Most of the national price is taxes. Do you think the goverment will loose this income? In Brazil the import taxes charged if you order something from abroad is around 100% which makes the final price the same as the national price. Sure, if you travel you can bring one free of taxes, but that is not the point.

Manu

storafötter;81116729 said:
Do computers cost as much also in South America or is it just videogame systems? If that is the case then I would rather game on a PC or go abroad and buy a console one rare opportunity.

As I wrote before:

"You know what the saddest thing is? For that money you can get a decent gaming PC, since they are manufactured here.

There's literally no reason to buy a console right now."

As I wrote before:

"You know what the saddest thing is? For that money you can get a decent gaming PC, since they are manufactured here.

There's literally no reason to buy a console right now."

Sorry I guess I did not notice that while skimming through the thread. I would not go for consoles then thats for sure.

I was just going to ask this...what's the perspective on that...like if someone makes 20 bucks an hour in North America,it's like 40 bucks an hour over there or something lol ;) ?

minimum wage in Brazil is R$678 or around US$ 280 a month (45 hours/week).

Of course, anyone working in minimum wage will not be interested in buying next gen systems. A middle class wage will be around R$ 3000 to R$ 6000 a month.

I imagine a lot of that is due to Argentina's government doing silly things with the economy. From what I've read inflation is really bad there and their government won't even release the true inflation numbers.

Yeap, you got it right fellow gaffer. : /

To put this in a bigger perspective, here a PS Vita costs $2999 (USD526), a PS3 bundle with 2 games $3999 (USD 701) and a PS3 game $649-$699 (110-120 USD)

I´m actually not that surprised, it´s a little more than the cost i was expecting.

Peterthumpa

Sony has some factories in Brasil, they hope for lower prices of PS4 is assembled there. They had gaming oriented pressconf in Brasil few months ago talking just about that.

Yep, the PS3 was announced as "made in Brazil" a few months ago, which brought its price down to a "meh" R$ 1099, but a good decrease nonetheless.

I do believe that the PS4 will be produced around here though, but not immediately. I guess that the BoM is exponentially different to be changed so quickly and it should be difficult to maintain 2 production lines concurrently, so IMO from the first months to the first year, the PS4 won't be produced / assembled in brazilian soil.

For reference, you can buy a PS4, Xbox One, Vita and two games for the price of just the PS4 in your country.

I cry for you Argentina.

That's the biggest reason for illigal immigrants.

People just want to play games, dammit!

It's the END of the generation and the PS3 costs $477 here.

Wow, so I'm guessing wages aren't keeping up with inflation? Same as everywhere, but extra terrible when inflation is that significant.

I make roughly the same as you based on what you said, which is not very much money here (Canada), but it's enough that I could choose to buy a PS4 if I was thrifty for a month (ate out less, didn't buy other games, etc.). I don't really have to make a point of setting money aside.

$4800 a month is good money in Canada. Unless you get just over half that in net.

So, PS4 price announced for Peru, Chile and Argentina.

No Brazil yet. What the hell is wrong with Sony? The Brazilian market is much bigger than all of those (probably combined)... come on, Sony! Damn it!

Owwari

Banned
That's pretty cheap for an official price. I remember when I came back to the country in 2007, the PS3 cost 6000 pesos or so, and the dollar was at like 3.16 instead of 5.60 or wherever it is now.

Still... yeah. As an Argentinean videogame player, this is why I'm not interested in anything but Steam.

Are you really? Argentina has the biggest, most visited PC pirating websites in South America (torrent trackers, forums, communities, etc.)

Sorry, don't want to sound offensive but I kinda disliked Argentinean "gamers" because they would never buy a retail game. (Been there a couple of times).

Since the PS3 sells at a reasonable price here in Peru, people still haven't gone bananas with PC pirating. Of course, there are oddities everywhere.

Edit: A PS3 with 2 COD games bundled is $400 right now in retail stores here in Peru, with complete warranty coverage.

mephixto

Banned
storafötter;81116729 said:

PC componets are about 15-25% more than in US.

K' Dash

I paid $600 for a Deluxe Wii U @ launch here in Costa Rica, which I think it is not that bad.

Also paid $700 for a 40GB phat PS3 after the first price cut.

I don't know yet the price of the PS4 but I guess it will be around $800. This is why I am thinking of building a PC or importing a PS4, more inclined towards a PC, as I can get an i5 or AMD 8350, 1TB HD, 8GB RAM and a 7950 for roughly $1000.

It is very expensive being a gamer outside the US!!!

And you in the US complain about prices, don't know how to explain how I feel when I read someone complaining about prices.

Yo pense que me habian cogido en Game On con la preventa del PS4 en $600, ahora me siento mejor, jaja.

Anyway, being a latin american gamer sucks big time.

Top Bottom