• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

JKRMA

Banned
FFXV looks mighty fine on my pro.I have a 1080p non-HDR tv and got FFXV set on the high resolution.

Ratchet and Clank was simply breathtaking.

FFXV looks mighty fine on my pro.I have a 1080p non-HDR tv and got FFXV set on the high resolution.

Ratchet and Clank was simply breathtaking.

Yes, they look great. Titanfall 2 and Watchdogs 2 look nice too. Not as clean as R&C but a big improvement over the standard version anyway.
Downsampling is great.

Humdinger

I heard the 4K version of TLG (and by extension a hypothetical downsampled version) drops down to 20 fps. I'd rather have 30 fps than downsampling, in that case.

Arc07

I heard the 4K version of TLG (and by extension a hypothetical downsampled version) drops down to 20 fps. I'd rather have 30 fps than downsampling, in that case.

I think a lot of Pro owners with 4K TVs are going to play the game at 1080p for a more solid frame rate.

Lancelot

Hey GAF, I'm using a 1080p TV on my PRO. Is the 2.0 HDMI cable necessary to enjoy the downsampling or 1.4 is fine? My old receiver outputs only at 1.4, so I plan to to use it to get 7.1 sound.

Tyaren

Yes, it indeed does. :D

31230579156_7fbb35332c_o.png

30639986233_4d1832a700_o.png

30975111700_e96d38595f_o.png

30909107460_598eeed5f0_o.png

31344071595_66882a89c8_o.png

30445232554_2fc60dfc29_o.png

SpokkX

TLG in 1080p holds a constant 30fps on pro - THIS is why i bought the pro - better performance. Hope other games follow suit

Couldnt care less about 4k (hdr could be intersting in the future though)

Tyaren

What are the graphical enhancements besides better resolution and anisotropic filtering?

1) Significantly better texture filerting (as you already mentioned)
2) Improved LOD, especially regarding vegetation
3) Higher resolution shadow maps

4) Higher quality ambient occlusion
5) More visible light shafts

Bolded are the improvements cou can clearly make out, the others are minor enhancements you only notice when comparing versions directly side by side.
And there's one aspect that is actually a little worse on the Pro HQ version compared to the LQ and base PS4 version: The screenspace reflections of water.

Lancelot

1) Significantly better texture filerting (as you already mentioned)
2) Improved LOD, especially regarding vegetation
3) Higher resolution shadow maps

4) Higher quality ambient occlusion
5) More visible light shafts

Bolded are the improvements cou can clearly make out, the others are minor enhancements you only notice when comparing versions directly side by side.
And there's one aspect that is actually a little worse on the Pro HQ version compared to the LQ and base PS4 version: The screenspace reflections of water.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the low for the best performance.

TLG in 1080p holds a constant 30fps on pro - THIS is why i bought the pro - better performance. Hope other games follow suit

Couldnt care less about 4k (hdr could be intersting in the future though)

Just started TLG on the Pro on a 1080p TV. I did not see anything in the settings to change it to 4K or 1080p but when playing it certainly does not feel anywhere close to a locked 30 FPS. I also installed the update before launching for the first time, am I missing something?

Jacob4815

Just started TLG on the Pro on a 1080p TV. I did not see anything in the settings to change it to 4K or 1080p but when playing it certainly does not feel anywhere close to a locked 30 FPS. I also installed the update before launching for the first time, am I missing something?

Strange, it should be 30 fps locked in a 1080p. TV.
Maybe they added downsampling from 4k mode in the latest patch?

Klart

I updated it for quite a while, but then there didn't seem to be much happening. I'm happy to add games that you guys would like. Just let me know which games and what to add.

Well, it would be great if this became the definitve thread to check whether a game has a 1080p Pro benefits.

I thought that was the intention.

Maybe you could already add the some extra games & specifics mentioned here (like TESO & others).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eve.../1100-6443385/

Well, it would be great if this became the definitve thread to check whether a game has a 1080p Pro benefits.

I thought that was the intention.

Maybe you could already add the some extra games & specifics mentioned here (like TESO & others).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eve.../1100-6443385/

It was meant more to show off games that do a good job with their PS4 Pro mode, and to illustrate why the PS4 Pro is worth it for 1080p owners. Then as newer games come out, posters can discuss them in the thread. And I'm happy to add some new games as well that have good Pro features. That said, the link you provided was already in the OP. It's a good place for people to go if they want a list of every single game that has a Pro mode.

SlickVic

Ratchet&Clank looks so good on the Pro just on a 1080p display. I'm sure it looks good on the base PS4 as well, but man does this game look pretty here.

eastx

I think the big list thread might be causing this one to die off a bit. :(

Here's a newly enhanced title, though:

Taleworlds has added PS4 Pro support for medieval action RPG Mount & Blade: Warband in update 1.02.

"Its 3200x1800 with 8x antialiasing. We could disable AA for native 4K but it is important for M&B since it's models are very low-poly so we had to choose 1800p for best performance. Framerate is also higher on Pro about 50% thanks to the CPU frequency increase. If you play on 1080p screen, you'll get supersampling instead of high resolution image."

https://i.imgur.com/m8nDlPv.jpg

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=359373.new#new

https://twitter.com/MustafaKorkmazD/status/809697469483384832
https://twitter.com/MustafaKorkmazD/status/809697863550779393

My TV is rather old and can receive a 1080p signal, but it's really a native 720p so the TV scales the 1080p signal down.
Might seem a strange question, but can a pro output a 720p signal, as I rather not add any more lag than I already get?

Schlomo

Yeah, it gets insanely choppy at times. A certain scene at the end can't be more than 15 fps. I can't even imagine how it runs at 1800p mode or on original PS4.

Wow! Ok, I think I am going to stop playing until I pick up a pro. The base game is a bit too ugly at times.

I hardly find the game ugly but I just plain stopped... haha I have Watch Dogs 2, Ratchet and Clank, and Chap 8 on in FFXV waiting for Xmas day and the 2 days I have off after!/

So how are 1080p TV owners feeling about their PS4 Pro these days? Was the upgrade worth it to you? Are current games taking advantage of its capabilities properly?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Loving it.

Shame about Prey though but hopefully they patch it.

the fact that they haven't said jack shit about it even though it's printed on the fucking box is pretty telling

love the game, but damn

neoemonk

So how are 1080p TV owners feeling about their PS4 Pro these days? Was the upgrade worth it to you? Are current games taking advantage of its capabilities properly?

I probably could have lived without it, but I do most of my gaming on PC. I have The Last of Us, FFXV, Bloodborne, and Destiny on the PS4, and FFXV is the only game I've put a substantial amount of time into since I made the switch.

I'll probably get around to Horizon Zero Dawn, and I might pick up Nier Automata because the PC port seems like such a crap shoot, and those both have 1080p/Pro enhancements, so maybe it will be worth it then.

What should i do ?GAF ? What setup will be the best upgrade in my case ? i can't upgrade both tv and ps pro.

4K HDR tv Upgrade with my launch PS4 with PSVR

or

1080p Plasma tv with PS4 Pro with PSVR ?

Maybe this is exactly the opposite of this thread's purpose, but is it worth buying a 4k TV for the regular PS4?

I've got an old 720p panel and I'm planning to buy a KS8000.

Top Bottom