• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro, Doom, and rest mode issues. Should I return it?

Owensboro

I just recently picked up a Pro and have started having a weird problem with rest mode. After playing Doom, if I try and put the PS4 Pro in rest mode it will beep 3 times, start blinking orange, and then not respond to anything other than a hard reset (hold power button down for 15 seconds or pulling the power cord). My old PS4 never did this once and I used the suspend/resume all the time. I just got though playing about 2 hours of Doom and another hour and a half of Rez Infinite and it happened again, so I'm just going to leave it blinking all night to see if it actually shuts down. I *think* Doom is the problem, but I'm going to test a bunch of games tomorrow just to be sure. The only thing I can think of doing is starting with Doom, replicating the issue (will 5 minutes playing and the suspending it do it? 10? Etc..), and then repeating that with games I know work because I played them on my old PS4 (DQ Builders, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, etc).

Has anyone else had problems with the Pro and suspend/resume? If you did, how did you fix it? I'm worried I've got a lemon and I've only got about 10 days left on my return window so I'm starting to get skittish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I tried searching NeoGAF but didn't find anything related. Only thing I could find was a thread on Reddit also singling out Doom - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5i9m7v/my_ps4_pro_cannot_enter_rest_mode_after_update/?ref=search_posts)

poodaddy

Gold Member
If it only happens on Doom I'd say just don't use rest mode while playing that game, just close out to the theme screen before "turning off" the system. If it happens on other games then the hardware is faulty and it's most definitely still within the warranty period, so just send it in to Sony for repairs.

OP try googling and see if others also have this issue

I guess it's on Reddit so others also have the issue so maybe it's not your ps4

Hopey

Stardew valley made it so no other games would load past the splash screen, so i have to force a restart

test_account

XP-39C²
I recently played through Doom on my PS4 Pro snd had no problem with rest mode.

Have you tried to rebuild the database or done a factory reset on your PS4? It might be a random OS bug. If those things doesnt fix it, i would exchange it for a new unit.

barit

Yeah have the same problem with DOOM on my Pro. I can't even start some games after playing it let alone going into rest mode. Always need to restart my PS4 with the 3 beeps. Too bad I can't send any Bug Report to Sony because there is no real error, only freezes.

Those having problems with Doom or other games. Have you tried launching something like Twitch or Netflix which "Suspends" the game you currently have running and then try to put into Rest Mode? Maybe that will have a different result.

Yeah the blinking orange light happened twice these past few weeks while playing Doom and putting it in rest mode. To solve it all I did was to press the power button for 30s and turn off the PS4, wait a few minutes and turn it on to make sure everything is okay.

Hasn't happened with any other game as far as I can tell.

There was a weird one where the UI was missing when I press the home button on Doom to put the PS4 on rest mode. Like if you go to settings there was nothing there, same for the Power options which meant I couldn't turn it off from there.

Crumpo

C'mon guys... it's SOFTWARE problem. Stop screaming for nothing.

Thisisneogaf.gif

Another day, another thread where people gwt scared about the pro for no reason. I'm still surprised that people don't understand what you let yourself in for as early adopters...

Femto.

Whats all this bad news about PS4 Pro?

A couple of games having a few small issue hardly count as lots of bad news. People really need to stop panicking over nothing.
Check the Pro launch thread, there are issues than just being game or rest mode related. Enough to warrant some anxiety/doubt, more than the launch of the OG model IIRC.

I've got a pro and sometimes when i put it into rest mode it will sign me out of the Amazon video app. and sometimes it will keep the VR hdmi splitter on and running (showing white on the LED with the fan on). it seems like there's some hiccups with it.

Ricky_R

If it's just one game, wait for a patch or something. Or just don't use rest mode while playing it.

If it's with all games, like it was my case, then return it. I did and got a new one, now I'm problem free.

Thisisneogaf.gif

Another day, another thread where people gwt scared about the pro for no reason. I'm still surprised that people don't understand what you let yourself in for as early adopters...

This post makes no sense. First you criticize people worried about becoming early adopters saying they are scared for no reason, then you admit that early adoption has problems.

Same exact thing happened to me after playing Doom the first 2 out of 3 nights with the Pro.

I fished around online and looked for answers. One theory was that the beeps/crash was due to trying to go into rest mode while the Pro was "busy." Some said maybe it was uploading to the cloud at that moment. Either way, I got in the habit of waiting 1-2 mins after closing the game to go into rest mode. That worked.

It hasn't happened with any other game, though, regardless of how long I wait.

I think your Pro is "normal," and if it's quiet, you're better off keeping it, than exchanging for another unit because they all seem to do it with Doom and you risk a less quiet fan.

Boss Man

Whats all this bad news about PS4 Pro?

A couple of games having a few small issue hardly count as lots of bad news. People really need to stop panicking over nothing.
Mine loses its video connection randomly and won't stop doing it until I reset it. Widely reported issue affecting many different TV brands and models. I want Sony to fix their shit and I am not happy about the "upgrade" from PS4 at all, so I'll post about it and warn others. If that's ok with you.

The last guardian was the game that did it for me, basically put my systemTo a crawl
And wouldnt let me do anything other than hard reset.

Stardew valley made it so no other games would load past the splash screen, so i have to force a restart
I don't have stardew valley, but I have DOOM and have had the rest issue on the Pro, but also was trying to play Let It Die last night and it was just stuck at the splash screen for over 10 minutes and tried closing and restarting the game to no avail. Is restarting the PS4 the only solution?

Ken Adams

I don't have starred valley, but I have DOOM and have had the rest issue on the Pro, but also was trying to play Let It Die last night and it was just stuck at the splash screen for over 10 minutes and tried closing and restarting the game to no avail. Is restarting the PS4 the only solution?

Yes unfortunately. I stopped playing stardew for this and i have doom installed but havnt started it yet, I hope sony is looking into this and trying to figure out why this shit is happening on the pro. The stardew valley devs are working with sony trying to find out whats going wrong but no idea if id is even aware that this is happening with doom.

The last guardian was the game that did it for me, basically put my systemTo a crawl
And wouldnt let me do anything other than hard reset.
Damn and i was hoping it was a one off with stardew but we might have a ps pro issue here. One too many games having the same problem.

Ixion

I've played DOOM on my Pro without any issues, but I usually always quit my games fully before I put the console into rest mode.

Share menu also kills the Pro while playing DOOM, I reported that a couple of weeks back. It seems to be something related to DOOM, have no problem with any other game.

Albo

I've had the same issue happen twice with doom, and another with the YouTube app. What's worse is when turning the ps4 back on it gives me the rebuilding system/data corruption warning.

Owensboro

Got to my PS4 this morning after 10 hours since suspending it and the orange light was still blinking...so it's not a "wait it out" kind of issue. That's a bummer.

Well, I guess I'm glad to hear it's a common issue with Doom, although that stinks as well. I searched a little more online today and it seems like even people that have exchanged their PS4 Pro's for new ones still have the same problem, so it can't be a hardware issue. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope there's a software update at some point in the future that will fix it. I can't believe it's also happening with Stardew Valley. That's a weird twosome of games causing the same issue.

Same exact thing happened to me after playing Doom the first 2 out of 3 nights with the Pro.

I fished around online and looked for answers. One theory was that the beeps/crash was due to trying to go into rest mode while the Pro was "busy." Some said maybe it was uploading to the cloud at that moment. Either way, I got in the habit of waiting 1-2 mins after closing the game to go into rest mode. That worked.

It hasn't happened with any other game, though, regardless of how long I wait.

I think your Pro is "normal," and if it's quiet, you're better off keeping it, than exchanging for another unit because they all seem to do it with Doom and you risk a less quiet fan.

Interesting. Last night I suspended it right after closing out Rez, so I wonder if it's just a "don't suspend too quickly after closing a game". I also wonder if playing Doom first for an extended period prior had anything to do it with. I'll try waiting 5 minutes after closing Doom today before Suspending and see if that does anything. Even if it does, I'm probably just going to end up completely shutting down / powering off the thing for the future until a patch is released (or it's even acknowledged).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mine loses its video connection randomly and won't stop doing it until I reset it. Widely reported issue affecting many different TV brands and models. I want Sony to fix their shit and I am not happy about the "upgrade" from PS4 at all, so I'll post about it and warn others. If that's ok with you.

Hdmi handshake issue more likely, not just a problem exclusive to PS4, 4k blu-ray players and other things can get that too, more of a TV firmware problem then the PS4 Pro's fault, unless u have a faulty unit. Mine works fine with my 2015 Sony 4k 55X8509C.

The few games that have small framerate issues or rest mode issues are more developer / software faults, not really a Pro fault because most games have no issues.

The only real issue the Pro has is some units have louder fans than others. But mine is silent so I'm happy with the Pro, there's certainly not enough to really get worried about, no more than any other console anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Mine was doing that until I replaced my HDMI cables. (The Amazon Basic cables I got were both trash apparently.) It's been perfectly fine since.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So this has started happening to my PS4 Pro but only within the last week or so. I've been playing Doom since ATLEAST Christmas. I also bought Stardew Valley a week or so ago too.

What's worse is that even turning the system completely off doesn't solve this. Turning it back on results in it just going straight into the orange light blink. What the shit?

Ahasverus

So this has started happening to my PS4 Pro but only within the last week or so. I've been playing Doom since ATLEAST Christmas. I also bought Stardew Valley a week or so ago too.

What's worse is that even turning the system completely off doesn't solve this. Turning it back on results in it just going straight into the orange light blink. What the shit?
He dead. Which is unacceptable. This is an old issue and Sony hasn't been bothered to look into it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
He dead. Which is unacceptable. This is an old issue and Sony hasn't been bothered to look into it.
The PS4 isn't dead. I have to hold the power button down for like 15 seconds, it boots back into Safe Mode, restarts like regular. But I've had to do this multiple times just in the last week.

I've had this on Doom and only Doom.

However, apparantly it isnt anything that will affect you PS4/PS4 Pro - the 3 beeps heard at shutdown indicates that a program hasn't shut itself down properly and the PS4 has to hard flush it from memory. Holding the power button on the console will get your console to boot again where the pad will not.

Why this only affects Doom I don't know but it wont do your PS4 any harm (I think...)

Doom has done this to me too and twice it's completely corrupted the save for it I refused to try and do/collect everything a third time so it got deleted. Nothing else has ever had issues on my Pro.

Top Bottom