• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Update 4:
Indie games developer (incl PS4):
We are not allowed to charge you for patches or pro feature updates.

The "fees" include anything we have to swallow to update our past games for you.

The internet can calm down. There is nothing we can do to leverage pro features or patches with price. Nothing.

I mean...it's the most non news ever. Patches after launch can sometimes cost money (not fees but costs associated with making a patch), and supporting Pro when required is just absorbed into the launch checklist and approval.

Patches can never be charged, nor can exclusive Pro content can be charged either.

Update 3:
duckroll says the Original Translation by Kotaku is correct.

Update 2 (Updated translation again):
Alternative translation:
Yeah, just looked through the article. Not certain, so correct me if there's any mistake, but it sounds very much like the company director of SIE (Masayasu Ito) is saying that depending on some licensees/third-parties, it'll be free and some will be paid (to make a 4K patch)

Original GameWatch Interview Section said:
――従来タイトルの4K・HDR化に関してはパッチ対応ということですが、これは有料でしょうか? それとも無料で行われるのでしょうか?

伊藤氏:タイトルごとによって違いますね。それぞれのライセンシーさんの考え方によると思います。

――SIEさんとしてはいかがでしょうか?

伊藤氏:うちもタイトルごとによって異なると思います。

――タイトルごとに有料になったり無料になったりすると言うことですね。

伊藤氏:そうです。
Translation said:
GW: So, in terms of future games supporting 4K/HDR: Will the patches be free, or will there be a cost?

Masayasu Ito: I think it will be different depending on the title and the way each licensee/third-party thinks about it.

GW: How about when it comes to SIE?

Masayasu Ito: I think that it will differ for each title within the company*. (*The different sects within SIE is what is implied)

GW: So, you're saying that depending on the title, there could be a fee, or it could be free?

Masayasu Ito: That's right.

Update:
This is only potentially for games released before October. Games with a launch date after October will have to support both without additional cost.

According to this translation by Kotaku for a GameWatch interview
Found here: http://kotaku.com/when-asked-if-ps4-pro-patches-would-cost-money-sony-sa-1786426018

Game Impress Watch: For the 4K HDR patch for existing titles, will it cost money? Or will it be free?

Ito: It will be different for each title. I believe it will depend on the thinking of each licensee.

Game Impress Watch: What about Sony Interactive Entertainment?

Ito: I think it will vary for each one of our titles.

Game Impress Watch: What you’re saying is that there will be titles that have a fee [for the patch] and [patches for the] titles that are free.

Ito: That is correct.

Game Watch Impress: From here on out, we can think that all the titles from SIE will completely support PS4 Pro?

Ito: Right. The first party titles we put out are going to certainly support both [4K and HDR].

Thanks for the translation to Kotaku. In the article they do not say if they are asking anyone of their Sony contacts for clarification, nor is that covered in the FAQ.

that sounds... wrong...

edit from the article:
Note: Here, Ito is referring to third-party publishers.
so he's referring to charging the developers/publishers?

doesn't seem like an issue and nothing that will affect end users then.

Definitely don't know how to feel about this. Not a good move, IMO, if they end up going this route.

EDIT: Are you sure the context is that Sony will be charging the end-users to patch their games into 4K? It sounds more to me like Sony is going to charge the third-parties a fee to do this as a way to cover themselves.

that sounds... wrong...

edit from the article:

so he's referring to charging the developers/publishers?

doesn't seem like an issue and nothing that will affect end users then.

Yeah, sounds a lot more like this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That would run fairly contrary to the leaked dev docs which explicitly ruled that out. Someone should seek clarification on that.

CryptiK

Damn I was hoping for Killzone patch, since the game already looked amazing. But nope I will not pay shit.

LMAO FUCK YOU IF TRUE.

That would be a deal-breaker for me. There better be clarification on that in the resounding negative, otherwise I'll stick with my OG or just go with a slim.

Aters

I figured that. No way devs would update their 2014 games for free. Extra work that was not anticipated should get extra payment. If we don't pay them, Sony will pay them, and Sony will eventually get that money from us.

This has to be a translation error or something. Surely they can be thinking of charging for unlocking 4k HRD mode for example or something like that for users? It would be like PC games charging extra for higher resolutions and ultra/max settings.

kiguel182

Every news about the Pro and just the general Sony ecosystem is another encouragement to start saving for a gaming PC.

benny_a

Read again.

Why would Sony charge publishers fhough?
Only indies get free patches.

Regular publishers had to traditionally pay them for each patch. That might have been relaxed in recent years but that was still the case when I last read it (which was admittedly 2013.)

Gator86

Sony is doing some MS level messaging about the Pro. Absolutely terrible.

Yup, it's like no one there came up with a plan before launching this thing. They're all just saying the first thing to come to mind. No clue how some of these people have jobs.

//DEVIL//

Man I would be laughing so hard if this happens. It's like these guys try to find any possible way to rip off the console guys.

How about this. I don't buy your game at all and you can shove it ?

Seriously for how long they will try and rip us off ? We have to pay for a patch that will make your game desirable and buy it ?

III-V

It sounds like it is up to the developer, which is the correct thing to do. Patching will no doubt require resources not initially budgeted or planned for. Hopefully, this will not get abused, and will lead to more older games getting Pro patches.

Lol at people actually thinking this is talking about gamers this is obviously talking about the developers and costing them money

Yeah, I'm not buying this until we get clarification. This seems like a bridge too far.

Paid patches absolutely cannot become a thing.

benny_a

That would run fairly contrary to the leaked dev docs which explicitly ruled that out. Someone should seek clarification on that.

Nah, that can't be right. That's against the documentation for PS4 Pro.

I wasn't aware of this. Any links, so I can include this in the OP for future posters.
Of course this is more recent so it needs to be clarified anyway.

Playsage

Please don't.
PLEASE!

Maybe they are talking about Sony paying third parties for Pro patches on already released games? PLEASE!

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
For older titles I'd be fine paying a dollar/pound or two for upgrade DLC as long it comes with some tangible game content too, since game development isn't free. Newer titles though, absolutely no way, as it should be factored into the core product.

Skatterd

This seems like a mistranslation..
Pretty sure he's talking about charging the dev for the patch or I'll eat my hat.

OCD Guy

If this is true in anyway then I'll get rid of the PS4.

I can't see it being true, titles that come out from the release of the Pro are mandated to support the Pro.

And if developers think that customers are willing to pay for updates to old games they can actually fuck right off, they'll be in for a shock. The backlash will be huge.

Seriously what is Sony doing, first the lack of 4K blu-ray player which isn't a deal breaker, and now this, they are slowly trying to fuck things up huh?

Droog

What fee do developers pay?

Submitting patches on consoles is generally not free as they need testing by the platform holder, etc before they can go live on PSN/Xbox Live. (The first patch for a title is usually free - unless things have changed in recent years?)

Skulldead

I'm surprise by everybody reaction, you think this is free to update a software ? You think you call at Sony and say hey i have a path for my game, here just release it ?

You got to be kidding me ? You clearly never work in IT if this is the case.

fvng

Man I will be skipping this completely then, this is a deal breaker

Edit: misleading OP, will not cancel preorder. But it's still Fucked up to put a financial roadblock that would discourage publishers from making their new system shine

Nah, I don't see that happening. Of course they're not going to charge consumers. The reality is that they will only patch HDR support into games when it makes business sense, in an effort to drive software or hardware sales. This cost is going to have to be eaten by Sony or the publisher in question.

benny_a

This seems like a mistranslation..
Pretty sure he's talking about charging the dev for the patch or I'll eat my hat.
Even in the case of charging pubs, in this special case this should be waived as this forward compatibility stuff is in their own interest as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom