• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akoi

Sony really is not handling the pre-release PR for this thing well... I honestly am going to withhold my judgment until post release. Especially since I don't own a 4K TV.

Now we kinda know why the nickname was Neo, the first one was good but the following ones had you like "what the hell are they thinking."

Just ask for free access to people's bank accounts, or you'll leave money on the table.

Didn't they do that already in 2011?

So we may have gone from having paid remakes of games from last gen to paid remakes of games in the same gen.

The fuck is happening in console gaming?

Thread got me like
vgbCO8i.jpg

OCD Guy

No way that's right, they can't possibly think it's ok to allow charging for updating old titles.

That's probably why they're leaving it to the discretion of developers/publishers, and will deal with it on a case by case basis with their first party titles.

To be honest they should have mandated that all patches were fre, and I thought I had read something along those lines in the leaked documents but I could be mistaken.

Curufinwe

Is the hivemind finally cracking, because I remember the hardcore shilling that went on for PS2 classics.

#4thepayers

Someone disagrees with me about the value of something - therefore they are a shill!

I haven't bought any PS2 classics, but the $10 I paid for the PS4 version of FF7 with trophies and speed boosts was a very fair price.

OCD Guy

What a joke of a thread. Consumers will not pay for patches.

You'd be surprised.

If From released a 60fps patch for Bloodborne priced at $5 you think it wouldn't sell?

All it takes is someone to have the balls to test the waters, and you can be sure if they taste success other's will want to get in on that action.

Whether we'll see paid performance patches or not is someething we don't know, but the fact Sony has apparently not mandated that they are free is the biggest shock.I wouldn't even be mad at developers and publishers. Don't hate the player, hate the game and all that. They'd only be playing within the confinements Sony set.

What we need either way is someone like Andrew House to clarify things, that way there will be no doubts at all.

No way that's right, they can't possibly think it's ok to allow charging for updating old titles.
Because developers work for free right?

It is entirely conceivable that you might look at the effort required to make a tangible upgrade Pro patch/update and say well this is going to cost us x amount, we could do it in the hope that it drives some new sales, or maybe we think it won't. Perhaps we could charge for the update and recover our costs in that way.

You're not entitled to a free upgrade and if a developer or publisher decides it wants to charge for it, then they can do it. You don't have to buy it and I doubt many would.

But frankly I cannot see anyone having the balls to do it - but as I posted already, that Sony employee can't say they will all be free because they cannot guarantee it as publishers and developers can charge for what they want.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So from what I understand the Dev will be charged extra to do more work on a game to increase the assets and take advantage of the extra pro power? If that's it and I'm the Dev why would I pay more to put in more that may not sell much better that the slim version

Nope, what I take from this and from what's been said previously is that for any titles put through Sony cert post October must be aware of the fact that Pro exists.

Titles released prior to that will not have any in-game support for Pro and thus will operate identically to before, most likely with a standard scaling applied to whatever its native res versus that of the current output device. Basically, exactly what Xbone S does.

If devs/pubs wish to put out patches that directly support the extended capabilities of the Pro on older titles, they are allowed to charge for it because it would be punitive and self-defeating to tell them that they can't.

tl;dr - Many companies aren't going to go back and do extra work on old titles if they are told they can't charge for it. Kinda obvious really.

Hjod

Banned
Something tells me that they would.

They would. We accept more and more scummy things, it will just escalate and evolve. I have the Pro pre-ordered, if they start charging for PRO patches I'll cancel my pre-order.

I still don't think someone would be that stupid.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if we have to pay or if developers need to pay either way this is bad for us. no chance in hell would i pay for a patch and if developers need to pay then they just won't bother.

if this happens then i will most definitely not get a ps4 pro or any other console again. i'm already on pc and i would just make it my main platform.

Are people reading the updated posts in the opening post, or just the thread title? :p

It looks likely that it was a mistranslation and it will be publishers who have to pay and not the end consumer. (Yeah, still shitty, I know, but hopefully this is a cost the pubs are happy to eat and won't pass on to us.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

It is entirely conceivable that you might look at the effort required to make a tangible upgrade Pro patch/update and say well this is going to cost us x amount, we could do it in the hope that it drives some new sales, or maybe we think it won't. Perhaps we could charge for the update and recover our costs in that way.

For something like performance improvement - rather than content - I think they should either do it in anticipation of new sales and promotion of their game (Pro modes in legacy games = a marketing opportunity), or not at all. That's always been the reason - or nearly always! - for that kind of update in the past (vs content DLC): for the reputation and appeal of the game in order to induce sales, rather than to monetise existing players.

But frankly I cannot see anyone having the balls to do it - but as I posted already, that Sony employee can't say they will all be free because they cannot guarantee it as publishers and developers can charge for what they want.

Agreed. What the license technically allows a pub to do and what they actually do are too very different things. There are probably all sorts of things pubs could try within the bounds of platform licenses. The market is a constraint too however.

N.Domixis

Banned
The fuck?
Scorpio will be the same, you really think companies will waste man hours updating an old game for free when they can be working on a new game that will bring in more money?
This isn't a Sony too, this is for third parties.

rockx4

You guys honestly think that Scorpio will be any different?

IMO, Scorpio will be the same. Publishers are in the business of making money. They aren't going to patch old games that won't get a significant boost in sales for free. It'll be no patches for most old games unless people are willing to pay for it. Recent games, and games receiving "definitive or GOTY" re-releases will likely get free patches.

pvpness

Holy shit I hope this doesn't happen because I'll bet there are a lot of gamers that would pay for this kinda shit. Then before long it'll be the norm. Fuck. Don't do it!

Link1110

Sounds bad, but if it means I can play my game without update s being forced downloaded and wasting my time, I'm down for it. Especially since I have no intention of buying pro for a good long time. (Just bought the dq le ps4 in January)

Now can steam do this with client updates? Please Gabe?

OCD Guy

Are people reading the updated posts in the opening post, or just the thread title? :p

It looks likely that it was a mistranslation and it will be publishers who have to pay and not the end consumer. (Yeah, still shitty, I know, but hopefully this is a cost the pubs are happy to eat and won't pass on to us.)

So the Licensee get's to decide if and when they pay the Licensor?

C'mon. Ito said when asked whether patches will cost money or be free

Ito: It will be different for each title. I believe it will depend on the thinking of each licensee.

If the interview was about how much publishers pay Sony, then the publisher (licensee) couldn't just decide whether they wanted to pay Sony (licensor) or not.

So the Licensee get's to decide if and when they pay the Licensor?

C'mon. Ito said when asked whether patches will cost money or be free

If the interview was about how much publishers pay Sony, then the publisher (licensee) couldn't just decide whether they wanted to pay Sony (licensor) or not.

*shrug* Opening post isn't very clear. Apologies if it is about consumers being charged.

GHG

giphy.gif

N-not to me...

Pre-order your Bloodborne PS4 pro patch today and get 10% off.

All features to be announced at a later date but pre order before our announcement to be eligible for the special discounted price of $4.99.

It's not really up to sony though is it? If the publisher's want to charge then they can. It's dev time and effort and that costs money.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's what people said about PS4 after Microsoft announced their always online plans. We all know how that turned out.

Very different scenario. You can't expect people to do work for free, particularly on legacy products generating minimum income. Especially when leaving the product "as-is" is in no way a barrier to entry.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I updated it to say that duckroll says the Kotaku translation is correct.

I don't speak Japanese nor can I say anything about the quality of the translation.

You're not entitled to a free upgrade and if a developer or publisher decides it wants to charge for it, then they can do it. You don't have to buy it and I doubt many would.

This. I mean, it's 100% clear what the interview is saying, and it's 100% reasonable to expect that some developers might want or need to recoup the costs one way or another.

I think you're right that no one will likely have the balls to charge for the upgrade. Anyone who does is going to look pretty bad given that other people won't, and these upgrades will drive new sales (which is why I presume a title like Shadow of Mordor got dusted off).

What does Sony gain by telling people they can't charge for the patches adding in Pro support? All that will achieve is that the people who were planning on charging for the patch to recoup the costs won't bother making the patch in the first place. If that's a victory, it's a pyrrhic one imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom