• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: The Ultimate FAQ

I have a question, are the layers on the pro thinner then on OG PS4? Or is it literally the size of a PS4 with another layer on top?

truth411

According to this, sub 1080p games on PS4 run at full 1080p regardless of if they are patched or not, so the GPU is doing work even on its own. CPU wise,who knows
That's not what it saying. Moving Forward, if a game is sub 1080p on PS4 will be 1080 on Pro, older games will need a patch.

truth411

Any chance that even if a developer DOES NOT patch anything on an old game, it will perform better simply because of the better GPU and overclocked CPU? Fallout 4 looking at you....
Games with an unlocked frame cap will benefit, like infamous Second Son or Killzone Shadow Fall.

The leaked document suggests otherwise. Games will not benefit from anything if it's not patched.

I want confirmation of that being false or true.

Footos22

The leaked document suggests otherwise. Games will not benefit from anything if it's not patched.

I want confirmation of that being false or true.

Course they will games with dips won't get as bad dips. Its part and parcel of an upclock. Same reason why xbox one s runs games better.

Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update.

Does this section mean that the requirement from the devkit documentation leak that all new releases after a certain point (end of September iirc) have a ps4 pro mode is still in place ?
It doesn't seem clear.

This is my understanding: games performing suboptimally, like frame drops, will perform better. These drops will be reduced or may not be seen at all. Long loads might be shortened slightly. That's about the bulk of it.

No games will magically go from 30fps to 60fps or anything that would be considered GREATER performance.

So improved performance, yes.
Greater performance, no.

Is this accurate?

This is my understanding: games performing suboptimally, like frame drops, will perform better. These drops will be reduced or may not be seen at all. Long loads might be shortened slightly. That's about the bulk of it.

No games will magically go from 30fps to 60fps or have greater draw distance or anything that would be considered GREATER performance.

So improved performance, yes.
Greater performance, no.

Is this accurate?

If the game has an unlocked frame rate, it might get a locked 60. And I think that might also apply for games with a dynamic resolution.

If the game has an unlocked frame rate, it might get a locked 60. And I think that might also apply for games with a dynamic resolution.

I guess I don't know what kind of power is required to double an unlocked frame rate. It just seems so unlikely that the Pro bump would be enough to do that. But I admit I really don't know what it takes at all.

Top Bottom