• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro to get higher frame rates on older games, without Patch (?)

This is what it says by the way

"BOOST MODE
when playing games that were released before ps4 pro, frame rate etc might be able to be raised playing games. If unexpected behaviour occurs during the game, please turn off tis option"

So there ya have it. Could cause issues on some games. let's hope bloodbourne isnt one of them lol

Izuna

Banned
That doesn't make any sense. Sony never said it was impossible, just that it caused imbalances in games and they were not willing to chance the stability of the library without devs going back and fixing games.

Generally speaking, this is just a toggle that can be switched on or off so there's no point in not adding it, i guess they realized hat

There was a thread where people were doing their best on speculating on what could go wrong and I'd imagine that it included a very limited amount of first parties that have probably been patched already. If even that.

It's possible this was ALWAYS on their roadmap but they didn't want people to wait for the better reason to pick it up. This move is very Sony, just like how they gave options for faster CD reading with PS1.

How the Pro released was stupid along with output resolution not enabling Pro Modes on 1080p.

They should solve that silliness next ~~ this really has made a Pro purchase far more important for me. So now I'm looking into trading options myself.

Dunkley

That is absolutely fantastic, definitely adds a lot of value for games on an uncapped framerate released before the Pro released.

Would be interesting to see a Bloodbourne test by NXGamer/DF when the update drops, mostly because I am curious if this would worsen the frame pacing or rather just help in the situations where the game does drop below its' 30fps target.

Besides that, Project Cars FPS tests would hopefully yield some nice results, perhaps Life of a Black Tiger would also gain from not being mostly locked to 20fps in later stages because we all know this is the uncapped game that really needs a better framerate to really shine.

BreakAtmo

Digital Foundry gonna have a lot of work to do.

Are there many games that have unlocked framerates?

There are some, but this will probably be used more for making sure capped games hit their targets more often. A game that fluctuates between 25-30fps may now be a totally locked 30, for example.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ?

they are making it an option to turn off if it breaks games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So that extra GPU or whatever Cerny said won't be working, is now unlocked? Great!

Extra GPU and the 30% CPU boost. Both of those were down-clocked for non Pro patched games.

I'm not expecting 30 FPS games to magically become 60 FPS, but XB1 style, 30 FPS games will stick more solidly to the 30 FPS limit and unlocked games more to the upper echelon.

This is simply a free bonus along with my Pro purchase, I'm super stoked.

mileS

Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 solid 30fps?

Don't expect jc3

Witcher 3 has been there for a while. Nothing is saving the technical mess of Just Cause 3 on console.

Also important to note that this might not make the next firmware update. Depends how stable it is for most games I'd imagine.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Digital Foundry gonna have a lot of work to do.

There are some, but this will probably be used more for making sure capped games hit their targets more often. A game that fluctuates between 25-30fps may now be a totally locked 30, for example.

Yep. Eliminating small slowdowns during hectic moments in games will make a difference.

Withnail

First person to test Yakuza 0 wins a cookie. This could clear up the minor issues when panning the camera around in the city.

Though I can see myself leaving this option turned off most of the time just because my Pro is completely silent when playing legacy PS4 games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looking forward to testing Justcause 3 as any boost will be rinsed on that game and I suspect much of this is Cpu and GPU when possible.

I hope we see a lot more videos from you when this comes out, sir :D

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looking forward to testing Justcause 3 as any boost will be rinsed on that game and I suspect much of this is Cpu and GPU when possible.

NX gamer is symbolized by Power Stone?? Good choice of an oldie

alarre1

Neo Member
Lol everyone gets hyped way too easy in this forum. I have a feeling that this is most likely going to break more games than fix.I wonder how long this mode will stay in beta before it actually goes into the official release.

Can't really think of any PS4 games i've played where this might stabilize the frame rates; Just Cause 3 maybe, but I played that on PC and it ran way better.

Looks like multiplats will benefit from this more than anything.

mileS

Oh, I thought TW3 still had some drops in certain areas.

If you sprint on your horse through a certain area in the swamp it might dip like 2-4fps at most. One area tiny area in a massive open world. It's incredible how much better that game is technically now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if Sony can request developers to unlock framerate caps on older games.

If devs unlock their games, its going to make the normal option go out of whack just to test out the the pro toggle.

Too many variables for devs to bother

nOoblet16

Lol no. Maybe a couple of frames closer to locked 30 fps though.
Bloodborne is already pretty close to locked 30FPS atleast when playing solo and offline. The framepacing issues however are everywhere and I doubt this will do anything about it as that's an issue that needs to be fixed by the developers themselves.

Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 solid 30fps?

Don't expect jc3
Witcher 3 is already there JC3 runs poor due to CPU, nothing is saving that game.

TLZ

Banned
Extra GPU and the 30% CPU boost. Both of those were down-clocked for non Pro patched games.

I'm not expecting 30 FPS games to magically become 60 FPS, but XB1 style, 30 FPS games will stick more solidly to the 30 FPS limit and unlocked games more to the upper echelon.

This is simply a free bonus along with my Pro purchase, I'm super stoked.

Same here! This is a big part why I got the Pro!

According to Steam Community, JC3 runs like shit on anything with up to 8gb ram, regardless of cpu, so... will probably not have a big impact there.

ViolentP

I think some people are overestimating what this will do...

I am not one of those people. I was always against the lock & key method of utilizing the additional power of the Pro. The goal here isn't the level in which the power is being utilized but rather that it would be utilized without intervention.

Top Bottom