• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Wollan

Let's wait for the PS Blog on this. Might just be false word of mouth prior.

Will have serious implications for the uptake of UHD Blu-ray if so.

Disappointing and stupid but considering I haven't bought a Blu-ray movie in a very long time I probably won't miss it with 4K streaming.

Fucking Morons. I now have no real incentive to actually buy a 4K TV any time soon.
I know it's my own fault but I've been buying UHD discs instead of standard blu-ray in anticipation of Pro supporting UHD Blu-ray, what a waste of money.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Not like they're trying to sell their own 4K TVs or anything.

What the hell were they thinking?

Occam

Let's wait for official confirmation.
This seems crazy. Nearly all modern BD drives seem to be capable of playing BD XL discs.

Primeau31

lol, what a terrible decision. don't care if it factored in to the BOM, eat the cost man. this console is specifically for 4K TVs, but won't play UHD blu-rays? WOW

(I know 1080 sets will get enhancements but I dont really see a HUGE leap from what they showed today)

Does this mean it doesn't support HDR as well? HDR is a necessary part of UHD 4K Blu-ray. If it doesn't do that why have HDR?

It is a strange decision as I'm not even sure if Sony have a 4K Blu-ray player out at the moment.

The real kicker is that streaming 4K looks like garbage for most consumers currently. UHD Blurays can make you say "oh, this is MUCH better than 1080p".

Sanpei

995840-epic_fail_sports_fail_epic_forehead_weak_retard_demotivational_poster_1206344902.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
Man 4K and HDR can go fuck themselves. If you want 4K games go play on PS4 Pro. If you want 4K Blu-ray go get a stupid expensive player or an XBO S, but don't expect to play 4K games on that. If you want HDR stick with a normal PS4, but if you want 4K AND HDR better get the Pro, but not Blu-rays, so get the S for that. But if you want HDR10 you can get a Samsung 4K TV, but if you want DolbyVision you better get a Vizio. And if you want HDR games but not crappy input lag you better wait at least another year.

Or maybe fuck all of it?

That's a whole lot of buffoonery right there. Seems like the kind of feature that one would expect to be included given how much Sony was beating their chest about 4k gaming during the conference.

I'm quite upset about this. The console still has value to me as a gaming device but a substantial part of the reason I was going to jump on it right away is because of UHD blu support. Hopefully Sony says something about adding it in after launch.

Yeah, it's a huge oversight on Sony's part, it's my only real complaint against the Pro. I'd really like to know why a Xbox Slim can have a UHD drive but the premium version of the PS4 can't?

In the end, I'm still going to buy for games because I own a 4k TV, but it's a shame.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I have absolutely no enthusiasm about this system now and will not buy.

What the fuck is Sony thinking?

bidguy

Banned
I'm quite upset about this. The console still has value to me as a gaming device but a substantial part of the reason I was going to jump on it right away is because of UHD blu support. Hopefully Sony says something about adding it in after launch.

adding a seperate drive after launch ? good luck

Midas

What a courageous decision by Sony

:lol

This is one of the weirdest decisions I've seen Sony made. They, as well as we, understand that physical media is a thing of the past. But that they push this for 4K and won't even include this. Huh?

Top Bottom