• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - PS Vita Remote Play Hands-on Impressions with IGN

Skyzard

Banned
Greg and Scott discuss playing Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed: Rivals over Remote Play on PS Vita:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/ps4-remote-play-hands-on-impressions

=-=-=-=
BF4 - Thread
NFS:R - Thread

*Doesn't like BF much due to latency, visually looks great
*Likes NFS - mentions stutters, nice visuals [Doesn't mention the local MP/2 screens tweet]
*Syncs on vita without exiting UI on PS4
*Works offline and online
*Talk about how the controls remap

EDIT - They specifically said they were going through the hotel's router and explained other rooms would have been using the connection.

Not a good way to showcase remote-play, may have something to do with possible lack of LAN port [& wanting to stay online].
Which would imply PS4 can't do a direct connection for remote play, while using WIFI to connect to the router.

Azull

And now Blizzard confirms Remote Play support for D3 on PS4, so nice! *-*

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/400073137590530048

Well guess I'm buying D3 on my PS4.

They can implement it that easy and fast? so why wasnt that feature there in the first place? lol blizz

Yeah its encoded in the PS4 by default that all games support remote-play. Not sure why they said it wouldn't be supported before since like I said it is supported by default.

Ridill

I don't expect it to be amazing right off the bat, but so far the impressions seem great! I can't wait to try it out...although honestly, other than toilet gaming...I don't think I'll put it to too much use.

Shai-Tan

Banned
you can't really escape some delay. and any streaming problems will be magnified in multiplayer.. kinda like playing a pc shooter with an inferior system. a lot of people still do it and have fun even though their k/d ratio would be better with an upgrade. i remember when bad company 2 came out I had a dual core and 8800 and would get these half second freezes right in the middle of fire fights. shooters on gamepad feels weird to me anyway. whatever

anyhow, im sure it will be great for a lot of other genre.

shwimpy

Is this a matter of what we can expect from remote play in general or EA gonna EA with bad coding on their end? Latency looked near non-existent with Knack and Killzone.

Skyzard

Banned
Since remote play are handled by ps4 os. How come bf4 have more latency than nfs? Shouldn't they all be the same?

He was saying he noticed the lag more in the shooter. He apparently likes shooters.

From the way he was racing, he might just not care about the lag in the racing, which is not good news either.

They can implement it that easy and fast? so why wasnt that feature there in the first place? lol blizz

They talk about how the NFS team thought they didn't have time to add it and weren't going to do it until they saw it was quick and simple. Which suggests that 2 player NFS tweet was total rubbish. Or rather, he actually thought they meant off-tv play. The nerve.

Seems to me like they need to drop the resolution or something for fast-paced games - although no they can't do that since menus would be unreadable.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Since remote play are handled by ps4 os. How come bf4 have more latency than nfs? Shouldn't they all be the same?

I think he's just saying it matters more in a shooter. but he was also running it together with issues he was having with the vita analogs (I think you can learn to use them better and sensitivity changes might make it feel better but they obviously will not be as good as the ps4 controller)

drproton

If remote play broadcasts at 30fps, that already doubles the input lag, even before network latency, which should be particularly bad at a hotel with such a polluted WiFi signal.

Also the Vita sticks are particularly sensitive, and I could see many developers not adjusting the controls for remote play to work well with the Vita sticks sensitivity and fairly large dead zones.

Yasumi

Banned
Besides the remote play, I'm loving the fact that this is getting the Vita into developers' hands. If it catches anyone's attention, there's a good chance we'll see more western Vita game development in the future.

DR3AM

Doesn't like BF much due to latency, visually looks great

well, there goes remote play for me. Lag = killer

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There is short stutters but I wonder if this is with wifi link or net connection?

The sync is intact though so that's good. What I've seen looks amazing.

I'd rather wait to try it myself instead of just assuming it won't work. Could be the nature of how the Vita was connected or how the event was held.

reKon

Banned
racing games will be great on this.

There are certain games that I would love to see on the PS4, which have been made in the past, but lacked in certain areas. Two games I would love to see them up great developers on is a Netx Gen Mod Nation Racer's and a perfected version of Starhawk. Both of these games would be great for remote play (mainly mod nation)

sn00zer

SInce the implementation seems so easy I assume is based on some proprietary Sony software...which hopefully is something that can be updated with firmware and gives a bump to all remote play games instead of a case by case basis

Same. I would love some suggestions on what kind of router one should buy!

It's a bit expensive but I love my Asus RT-AC66R.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66R/

They have cheaper models - https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless_Routers_Products/

I am partial to the 66 series. Hope that helps.

*edit* Reading this, it seems pretty vague from a personal use perspective. Over the years I mainly used DLink routers to which I usually had issues with the router dropping connection when using wireless. I used models DIR-655 and DGL-4500. The 4500 seemed worse than the 655 so I researched routers and came across the Asus AC66R (AC66U is the same as the R from what I can tell) and haven't looked back. I've not had any issues with the firmware or any connections dropping since I switched. I really love this router. I'll try Remote Play when I get my PS4 Friday. The only downfall to the 66R so far is that it runs a little warm. I stand mine up to help with cooling.

Tobor

In that 4 minute video of BF4 Remote Play they posted, it looked fantastic. If that's what they consider laggy, then it will be fine.

co1onel

Is this the case?

No, remote play works at 60fps.

Its really too early to make a conclusion like this. Like they said in the video, the internet was being used by people all around them too. Also I'm sure it plays with even less latency when using a direct connection to the PS4, rather than going through the router.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Other than Vita TV i think Im most excited about the remote play on the PS4. I have already thought of at least 10 diff scenarios for me to play with it in remote play. let a lone all the"Second" screen functions it could have. Hopefully Madden has designed a way where you can scroll through your playbook on the Vita next to you while your cheating friend in the same room sees only the players getting back into the huddle.

Could be massive in FPS maps as well. Very excited for this feature..

Skyzard

Banned

The funny thing is....if you watch their video with impressions, I can't even see much latency when he's playing BF4 when you can see both screens. Like it was really minimal.

LiquidMetal14

Cross posting as the content is relevant

Greg Miller just posted up the IGN Remote Play video with their impressions. Worth a watch, they really liked it.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/ps4-remote-play-hands-on-impressions

They do mention the network environment so that's a good sign of any latency probably being a setup issue.

The most important part of that is that the games don't lag and you don't feel like you're not in control other than a stutter here and there which they mention the network conditions in the building as a probably culprit.

co1onel

What method are they using? Vita to PS4? Vita router PS4? Vita router internet PS4?

He mentioned that some of the lag they were experiencing could of came from all the other people around using the internet too, so I'm assuming they were using Vita router PS4.

EMT0

Banned
Cross posting as the content is relevant

They do mention the network environment so that's a good sign of any latency probably being a setup issue.

The most important part of that is that the games don't lag and you don't feel like you're not in control other than a stutter here and there which they mention the network conditions in the building as a probably culprit.

They're not doing direct PS4 to Vita Remote Play? Queue people taking this the wrong way.

Valnen

Its really too early to make a conclusion like this. Like they said in the video, the internet was being used by people all around them too. Also I'm sure it plays with even less latency when using a direct connection to the PS4, rather than going through the router.

I'm surprised they didn't do a test with a direct connection to the PS4. That is what I'd be using the feature for most of the time.

LiquidMetal14

They're not doing direct PS4 to Vita Remote Play? Queue people taking this the wrong way.

The video makes it seem like they might not be doing it the best way but it still looked more than playable so that's a good sign. And this is only launch so expect things to be patched up in the future.

EMT0

Banned
The video makes it seem like they might not be doing it the best way but it still looked more than playable so that's a good sign. And this is only launch so expect things to be patched up in the future.

Oh, yeah, of course. I'm more than satisfied, already been owning a Vita and everything. The thing is that you're going to get a whole bunch of people reading the bulletpoints, not checking the video, and not reading the thread that are going to walk away thinking the feature is crap.

Top Bottom