• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - PS Vita Remote Play Hands-on Impressions with IGN

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Its really too early to make a conclusion like this. Like they said in the video, the internet was being used by people all around them too. Also I'm sure it plays with even less latency when using a direct connection to the PS4, rather than going through the router.

Is there any sort of confirmation they were going through the router? I would assume they would just skip that hassle and go directly to the ps4, in which case I don't understand why network interference would be a latency issue for one game but not the other.

Skyzard

Banned
The video makes it seem like they might not be doing it the best way but it still looked more than playable so that's a good sign. And this is only launch so expect things to be patched up in the future.

!!!

How did I miss that? I rewatched it just now - it's after it switches to a closeup of playing nfs on the vita and it lags like crap. He mentions how it doesn't lag at all and the other guy scratches his head and looks down and then quickly utters something about network issues - and they say they're using a bloody a hotel router with all the rooms doing stuff.

WUUTTTTT u muppets

nikos

Looks great! Not expecting it to be perfect but it'll be really nice for some games, especially RPGs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks great! Not expecting it to be perfect but it'll be really nice for some games, especially RPGs.

It will be much more functional across the board. You are seeing some taxing games running with little issues and a wonky network environment at the hotel. I can't wait to try it in my home.

They can implement it that easy and fast? so why wasnt that feature there in the first place? lol blizz

Was there a statement that I missed? From what I read the "we're looking at it" was in reference to making it a polished experience (text is possible to be read on the smaller screen, etc.) rather than "it doesn't even work right now".

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm not sold, I need to see direct connect, or a strong wifi connection. I can't deal with too much input lag considering I'll all ready be using the nubby sticks on the vita. We'll see i guess.

Skyzard

Banned
Is there any sort of confirmation they were going through the router? I would assume they would just skip that hassle and go directly to the ps4, in which case I don't understand why network interference would be a latency issue for one game but not the other.

I think they both lagged the same but it affected their FPS experience more.

One would EXPECT them to have gone through the direct connection...in which case everything is pretty worrying imo. However they specifically said they were going through the hotel's router (lol) and explained other rooms would have been using it...which is an awful way to showcase it.

I think they both lagged the same but it affected their FPS experience more.

One would EXPECT them to have gone through the direct connection...in which case everything is pretty worrying imo. However they specifically said they were going through the hotel's router (lol) and explained other rooms would have been using it...which is an awful way to showcase it.

This should be in the OP. Seriously, IGN. Really?

You might want to mention in your video that you're using a HOTEL ROUTER. Has anyone come across good internet in a hotel?

That worked fucking awesome if that is the case.

DigitalOp

Banned
This should be in the OP. Seriously, IGN. Really?

Honestly, Im glad they did it this way. I was truly more curious about Remote Play over wifi network, since direct stream wouldn't be much use to me. So for them to get a more than playable connection over hotel wifi sounds really exciting.

I wanna see how it works when the PS4 is farther away.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah this. I don't know why they didn't just link to the system itself..

Can the PS4 do Wifi in from router and out to vita at the same time? Maybe they didn't have a LAN port...which is how you're supposed to connect it. Guess not all hotels have them. It was at a conference too so all the gaming press were in their rooms playing games and stuff.

Otherwise it makes no sense, I have no clue.

Zen

Banned
Damn, hope the BF4 latency issues are improved with time.

Doesn't like BF much due to latency, visually looks great

well, there goes remote play for me. Lag = killer

So it's laggier than the Wii U?

Yes, sadly. I don't get why, though.

Yep, call it now before the system is even out. It's already dead.

What method are they using? Vita to PS4? Vita router PS4? Vita router internet PS4?

I'm not sold, I need to see direct connect, or a strong wifi connection. I can't deal with too much input lag considering I'll all ready be using the nubby sticks on the vita. We'll see i guess.

From the OP

"EDIT - They specifically said they were going through the hotel's router (!!!) and explained other rooms would have been using the connection. "

And judging by the videos, the lag is pretty minimal under those (terrible) conditions.

Tabular

Banned
Just bought a vita partly for remote play. I heard a reviewer mention 60 fps / no lag. Looking forward to testing it in a few days and comparing to Wii U.

Eusis

From the OP

"EDIT - They specifically said they were going through the hotel's router (!!!) and explained other rooms would have been using the connection. "

And judging by the videos, the lag is pretty minimal under those (terrible) conditions.
Huh, a direct connection would be way better then, and a home connection should be nice and clear especially on a modern router.

To use direct connection to the PS4, you need to plug the ethernet cable to free up the wifi. Just like adhoc party on the PS3.

Skyzard

Banned
Why the hell wouldn't they pair it directly to the PS4?

Possibly wanted to be connected online and didn't have a lan port? If so then ps4 can't do direct to vita while using wifi for its internet. They don't show that as an option in any of the guide pictures they put out.

They mentioned direct connection but don't talk about any differences - at least the guide says "lowest possible latency" with the direct connection. Which sounds pretty awesome :) I'm hopeful..

meh, we need more examples. not long to find out anyway, thanks US testers :)

To use direct connection to the PS4, you need to plug the ethernet cable to free up the wifi. Just like adhoc party on the PS3.

There you go

But they could have tried it offline. They did mention it works offline... :S

kubricks

Good God Sony just sold me a PS4!

Being a family man I just cannot use the TV for gaming, it is always being occupied by either my wife or my kids. I do have a Vita, and as great of a device it is, I missed a good few RPGs/Gundam games that are only available on console. Now that remote play seems so smooth and lag free, I can finally get back to console gaming (PS4) by my portable device (Vita)!

I can't wait!

Zen

Banned
Why the hell wouldn't they pair it directly to the PS4?

I think they might have wanted to test it under conditions that were not ideal. I mean a lot of us are hoping that some games are actually playable away from our house, and they tested it using Hotel internet during a gaming press convention, so that bodes pretty well imo.

People forget that the Gaikai stuff was spitting games to you off of servers and render farms from way outside your house and Sony is using that stuff for this (presumably right?)

Gaz_RB

Being a family man I just cannot use the TV for gaming, it is always being occupied by either my wife or my kids. I do have a Vita, and as great of a device it is, I missed a good few RPGs/Gundam games that are only available on console. Now that remote play seems so smooth and lag free, I can finally get back to console gaming (PS4) by my portable device (Vita)!

I can't wait!

Well unless you preordered one...you're gonna have to

I think they might have wanted to test it under conditions that were not ideal. I mean a lot of us are hoping that some games are actually playable away from our house, and they tested it using Hotel internet during a gaming press convention, so that bodes pretty well imo.

People forget that the Gaikai stuff was spitting games to you off of servers and render farms from way outside your house and Sony is using that stuff for this (presumably right?)

Yeah, I've used Onlive and it worked quite well on University Internet.

darkwing

I can't wait!

be ready for some camping and hunting

Possibly wanted to be connected online and didn't have a lan port? If so then ps4 can't do direct to vita while using wifi for its internet. They don't show that as an option in any of the guide pictures they put out.

They mentioned direct connection but don't talk about any differences - at least the guide says "lowest possible latency" with the direct connection. Which sounds pretty awesome :) I'm hopeful..

meh, we need more examples. not long to find out anyway, thanks US testers :)

There you go

But they could have tried it offline. They did mention it works offline... :S
This is the explanation from PSblog.

Remote Play will work best when the PS Vita system is located within the same WiFi network where PS4 is connected. We also recommend that PS4 be connected to the local area network via an Ethernet cable, that a router suitable for gaming be used and that the PS Vita system be within close proximity of the WiFi access point so that the connection is free of interference.

rpdirectconnectionlpk03.png

rphouserouterxtjem.png

rpinternetp6j1a.png

kubricks

Well unless you preordered one...you're gonna have to

Well, I gave up console gaming for a few years already due to my kids, waiting for a few more months to get a PS4 is nothing in comparison.

I thought I am never going back to gaming again, now there is hope, lol.

darkwing

This is the explanation from PSblog.

Remote Play will work best when the PS Vita system is located within the same WiFi network where PS4 is connected. We also recommend that PS4 be connected to the local area network via an Ethernet cable, that a router suitable for gaming be used and that the PS Vita system be within close proximity of the WiFi access point so that the connection is free of interference.

rpdirectconnectionlpk03.png

rphouserouterxtjem.png

rpinternetp6j1a.png

what is an example of a router suitable for gaming? my router is like 10 years old lol

Gaz_RB

How far is the radius for non wi fi PS4>vita connection? Have they said?

Well, I gave up console gaming for a few years already due to my kids, waiting for a few more months to get a PS4 is nothing in comparison.

I thought I am never going back to gaming again, now there is hope, lol.

Welcome back! I know that feeling. Luckily I already had a PS4 preordered, and this remote play stuff has only persuaded me to get a vita, which are much easier to find haha.

He may want to use it outside of the range of a direct connection but it's nice Yoshida confirms it works even if the router is down (so IGN should have really told us how it compared offline!). Thanks to VanWinkle for asking the tough questions :)

I just tried with my PSP and you can totally remote play with that without using any internet or wifi connection.
You just need to register your PSP in the remote play settings.

EDIT: playing Einhander using remote play NAO!

darkwing

He may want to use it outside of the range of a direct connection but it's nice Yoshida confirms it works even if the router is down (so IGN should have really told us how it compared offline!). Thanks to VanWinkle for asking the tough questions :)

yup, for out of range, does remote play take advantage of the wifi-n?

I just tried with my PSP and you can totally remote play with that without using any internet or wifi connection.
You just need to register your PSP in the remote play settings.

EDIT: playing Einhander using remote play NAO!

I've only ever played one game using PSP's remote play (Pixeljunk Monsters) and it looked, and played like shit. It made me never use that feature again.

Yes, it does run like shit.
But it's kinda awesome at the same time.

The lag won't matter if you're playing turn based RPGs I bet.

Can't wait for the PS4 - Vita remote play. It will be glorious!

Absinthe

The fact that it ran this good on a crap hotel wifi makes me very happy.

I wonder why Sony didn't connect it directly to the PS4 instead of using the router?

Skyzard

Banned
The fact that it ran this good on a crap hotel wifi makes me very happy.

I wonder why Sony didn't connect it directly to the PS4 instead of using the router?

Because it was IGN and they couldn't be bothered to show us what it was like with direct connection as well (they would likely also have to go offline in their situation being in a hotel).

They wouldn't have had to usually but considering they were using a hotel router...they should have.

Top Bottom