• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - PS Vita Remote Play Hands-on Impressions with IGN

If the remote play setup is similar with ps3 remote play, then I'm not sure there's a way to specically choose direct connection instead of connect through router. This is something I've been questioning for a while.

If you go to ps website and see the remote play section for ps3. You'll see you can use remote play directly between ps3 and vita/psp or through an access point with router. But the instruction to do them is the same. In your vita, choose remote play and you have option to either pick 'private network' or 'internet'. The instruction for using direct connection or router connection is the same, you have to pick 'private network' option. I'm not sure how ps3 or vita really differentiate between direct connection or router.

I only realize that ps3 remote play can use direct connection to vita is when I deliberately disconnect my lan cable from ps3 and disable internet, and remote play is still working.

DoctorZ

If the remote play setup is similar with ps3 remote play, then I'm not sure there's a way to specically choose direct connection instead of connect through router. This is something I've been questioning for a while.

In that IGN video they specifically say there is a direct connection option, just that the PS4 would be offline. I hope that means not using my router and directly communicating with the Vita.

Skyzard

Banned
I only realize that ps3 remote play can use direct connection to vita is when I deliberately disconnect my lan cable from ps3 and disable internet, and remote play is still working.

^ that could be it

In that IGN video they specifically say there is a direct connection option, just that the PS4 would be offline.

Ah yeah they did. Just lazy then...?

Come on Sony, give me a PS4 ... and a nice Sony camera ...and a Vaio and I'll sort this out.

If you go to ps website and see the remote play section for ps3. You'll see you can use remote play directly between ps3 and vita/psp or through an access point with router. But the instruction to do them is the same. In your vita, choose remote play and you have option to either pick 'private network' or 'internet'. The instruction for using direct connection or router connection is the same, you have to pick 'private network' option. I'm not sure how ps3 or vita really differentiate between direct connection or router.

It gives you the menu option to choose direct connection to your console or to the router.

so1337

There's some serious stutter going on in that NFS video. They conveniently cut away from the close-up whenever it happens but it very visibly happens. I'm going to assume this feature is going to fucking busted if they can't even even get it to work properly at a tightly controlled demo event.

There's some serious stutter going on in that NFS video. They conveniently cut away from the close-up whenever it happens but it very visibly happens. I'm going to assume this feature is going to fucking busted if they can't even even get it to work properly at a tightly controlled demo event.

well apparently, this demo video is not tested in tightly controller demo situation. sounds like it's in less than ideal situation, even worse than most people will use in their home environment.

DieH@rd

Banned
In that IGN video they specifically say there is a direct connection option, just that the PS4 would be offline. I hope that means not using my router and directly communicating with the Vita.

No, when you do Direct Connection between Vita and PS4, PS4 will not be offline if you connect PS4 to Router via LAN cable.

hurzelein

So no direct Ps4 - Vita connection possible without a router? Can anybody confirm?

I would love direct connection to play in my bed. TV+bed in one room.

Simon_K

Neo Member
Is it possible to play ps4 games on vita screen using dualshock4?
Any way to connect the controller to vita?

...that would be so awesome.

sajj316

So no direct Ps4 - Vita connection possible without a router? Can anybody confirm?

I would love direct connection to play in my bed. TV+bed in one room.

This is what I'd like to know for sure. It seems Yoshida did confirm that direct Vita to PS4 is possible. If the review session was configured over WIFI .. a big dope slap to Sony.

edit: I get it now .. on why

Peterthumpa

Is it possible to play ps4 games on vita screen using dualshock4?
Any way to connect the controller to vita?

...that would be so awesome.

You don't need to connect it to the Vita, since the stream is coming from the PS4 anyway. I don't think that the DualShock 4 is disabled when using the Vita, so that's probably possible.

Interfectum

Are you guys intentionally not reading the fact they are going through a hotel router or do you not understand just how bad hotel internet connections can be?

BadWolf

A test via a hotel connection?

No thanks.

Grimløck;89497377 said:
Remote play sounds awesome. What're the chances of a Vita going on sale during Black Friday?

A good chance, lots of Vita deals last year.

BigFwoosh

Because they're all fucking idiots.
Any GAF'er would go "hey, the network is congested to fuck, I'm gonna set it to a direct-to-ps4 connection guys, like you should have".

These people get paid for this.

Maybe they want to see what it's like in a worst case scenario? Honestly the lag looks pretty damn good considering the hotel wifi. Direct connection will be godlike.

Maedhros

Are you guys intentionally not reading the fact they are going through a hotel router or do you not understand just how bad hotel internet connections can be?

That's how many people here acts in these topics. They read the OP, choose the first problem they see and declare that the said thing is shit.

VanWinkle

jIm5yjW3eYPF8.PNG

Disappointing. I'm still excited, but it won't feel like a true competitor to Wii U's Off-TV Play to me.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Big let down. Here's to hoping it's either incorrect (somehow doubt it with the pros at Housemarque), or is updated.

Varth

"Current cap" makes it sound like something they're working on.

Maybe they want to see what it's like in a worst case scenario? Honestly the lag looks pretty damn good considering the hotel wifi. Direct connection will be godlike.

Unlikely. Easily some sort of pratical issue with the setup.

BadWolf

"Current cap" makes it sound like something they're working on.

Yeah, they might just want the feature to work properly at launch.

If everything is done hardware side on the PS4 then I don't see why the cap won't be lifted later.

johnny956

This is the explanation from PSblog.

Remote Play will work best when the PS Vita system is located within the same WiFi network where PS4 is connected. We also recommend that PS4 be connected to the local area network via an Ethernet cable, that a router suitable for gaming be used and that the PS Vita system be within close proximity of the WiFi access point so that the connection is free of interference.

rpinternetp6j1a.png

I'm curious how much is "large upload". I have a 4mbps upload at home (if only charter would increase their upload speeds) and a 6mbps download at work so I'll find out Monday the 18th how it works with killzone

newsguy

This is the first I'm hearing of a 30fps cap. If true, it makes this feature way less appealing. For those who own a Vita, great, but for those buying one exclusively for remote play, no go.

flippedb

Banned
Does anyone know what makes lagfree 60fps possible on Wii U and not there? Is it the wifi protocol that is used?

This test was using the router from the hotel, which adds extra lag. But anyway, I don't expect PS4-Vita to be as good as Wii U. Wii U communicates with the GamePad directly and can still remain connected to the internet via WiFi, you don't need any extra cables. On PS4's case, this direct connection is simply not there, and for you to be able to connect your Vita directly to PS4, you'd lose the ability to connect the console to internet via WiFi.

This obviously puts Wii U a step forward when it comes to Off-TV play, and that's if you don't count the inability Sony has to play 60 FPS games with Off-TV, or the fact that you need an extra $200 handheld (with pretty horrible ergonomics compared to a real controller) on top of PS4's $400 tag to play Off-TV with Sony.

Sony's option is ok, but doesn't touch Nintedo's.

Top Bottom