• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 pwr 40%> XB1? M.Nelson: "very much looking forward to [when] the truth comes out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So here's an interesting comment from not one but two of MS's most visible PR peeps. Total credit to BleachAndPepsi who brought this up in a separate thread:

Speaking of Larry Hyrb, it seems he took to Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ello_there_is_no_way_were_giving_up_a/cc2nezu) to post that he agrees with Albert Penello about the Xbone's power vs. PS4. The thread Albert originally posted his comment in has been locked, but Albert basically said that the PS4 is not 30% more powerful than Xbone.

So Hyrb writes this:

"As I said above, Albert is one of the most amazing people I work with - that's why I invited him on my podcast a few weeks ago. I jab him a bit about posting on 'GAF (fact: they would not approve my account of there) but he's smart and driven. He's also right: We have some of smartest programmers in the world working on Xbox One. I am very much looking forward to the next few months (and beyond) as the truth comes out."

Two things: I love that he and Mr. Penello keep repeating this mantra about how smart their programmers are. As though Sony employed a bunch of drooling morons who grabbed parts off shelves and hot glued them together when they came up with the PS4.

And that second sentence I bolded--could it be pointing to the rumored reveal of a discreet second GPU later this month when AMD reveals their next line of hardware? Personally, I don't believe the rumor, but I can't think of anything else he may have been referring to (other than posting another of those laughable comparison charts on his website like he did at the start of this gen).

Thoughts?

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find a thread. Mock if old.

Here's what Albert said in another thread that Major's referring to:

Albert Penello said:
I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

So both Albert and Major Nelson have gone to say that the performance gap is either negligible, not there, or perhaps even favoring XB1. The there's a rumor of an end of September reveal that Bleach mentioned above.

So, what's really going on? Some hidden secrets waiting to be revealed? MS PR just downplaying the performance gap based on the facts we have now? Interesting stuff.

edit: Evilore has reached out to Major Nelson via Twitter to get his account approved a day or two ago, by the way.

iwanttobelieveel4.jpg

nib95

Banned
I've noticed Penello and Nelson often use the exact same phrasing and terminology in these little PR outbursts.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They said that:

1. They don't know the details of Sony's system architecture, nor are they engineers...
  2. ...but details in system architectures will level out real world performance.
That is logically incoherent. In addition, they don't provide evidence or rational argument, but an emotional appeal to their reputation as software makers. That is not enough.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is this an attempt to bait Xbox fanboys?

They are both probably talking about games (as in this difference will be negligible once the games are out), not making any flop math. I thought the preamble to the release of the PS3 with the "power of the cell" was the worst, but this one definitely takes the cake with the fanboy drama.

Amir0x

Banned
It's quite obvious nothing is going on except Albert and Major Nelson synchronizing their PR message to try to downplay a clear and undisputed by most objective-observers PS4 advantage.

If they have a secret GPU that'd be fascinating, but not a single leak document has ever suggested this as far as I am aware, and given how much other stuff leaked, and how much such an announcement could change some of the negativity, I remain skeptical that such a secret is hidden.

Microsoft does not have any secret sauce.

Derrick01

Banned
Here's where MS again tries to downplay actual numbers and again suggest there will be a magical powder that makes the consoles equal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
An Xbox One engineer on Reddit has said the PS4 is more powerful and Microsoft themselves have said since the console was announced that they didn't target the highest end graphics. We've also yet to see any multiplatform games running on XBO. There is a power difference.

belmonkey

I have a feeling people are going to associate it with that rumor that there's actually also a dedicated GPU in the X1, but it cannot be announced until Sept. 25-ish due to a NDA.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't believe this much at all. Also wut at this:

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

The graphically high end PS3 games (Killzone, Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War) are in another league compared to 360's offerings, with the exception of Gears of War 3 and Judgment. Halo 4 has solid IQ, but textures are nowhere near a comparable game (i.e. native 720p and release date) such as The Last of Us.

It's quite obvious nothing is going on except Albert and Major Nelson synchronizing their PR message to try to downplay a clear and undisputed by most objective-observers PS4 advantage.

If they have a secret GPU that'd be fascinating, but not a single leak document has ever suggested this as far as I am aware, and given how much other stuff leaked, and how much such an announcement could change some of the negativity, I remain skeptical that such a secret is hidden.

Didn't Albert follow up his infamous 'secret sauce' post with something about how everything will make sense once we see what's written on the respective console boxes?

I think the PC equivalent builds that DF did found about a 25% advantage for PS4. Maybe not 30 but still good for a product that's $100 cheaper.

GameSeeker

Nov 15th should be a fun day for Albert and Major Nelson. When they bring home their PS4's and put them next to their Xbone's and find out the PS4 is smaller, lighter, just as quiet, more powerful and cheaper to boot. ;)

Alx

I don't see anything wrong with the "proof of the pudding" approach he has. It's up to the developers to show us what they can do with those consoles. Specs are just numbers on paper.

I've noticed Penello and Nelson often use the exact same phrasing and terminology in these little PR outbursts.

that is how pr work. You just repeat the same approved and established content.

And to the people wondering, funny how he's talking about the truth but not actual numbers. Just saying... But when you argue with argument in the wind, it's usually that you don't have any argument

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Microsoft is changing the conversation from "Our specs are clearly superior" to "the other guy's machine is not THAT much more powerful" when you look at the games.

Why does Major Nelson not have an account on GAF?

madmackem

Wait didnt they say they on purpose didnt target high performance? Also first party on ps3 is better than what first party got out of xbox 360 i dont think even hardcore fans would argue that. If they have this power then they need to show us it.

Klocker

They mean that esram and helper chips and overall system efficiency will bring the system close to ps4.

we can call shenanigans all we want but we will all see in a year won't we?

Yes, it's called FUD. When you don't actually have any competitive advantage, all that's left is to attempt to promote the idea that the real differences aren't meaningful. In this case by implying the "jury is still out" or that "the truth" has yet to be revealed. It's desperate, and has long been considered one of the lowest forms of marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom